• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo crosses 800 million consoles sold, No. 1 console maker in the World

Phones are not specifically designed to play video games. They are able to, but that is not their specific purpose.

You're grasping. A games console is just a computer systems specifically designed to play video games.
Not grasping at anything. You ignore the rest of my post? Apples and oranges. Not the same format, not the same target, not the same prices, they don't even share the games. Apples and oranges.

Last edited:
Not a single fuck is given about "versus" or "different market, target audience, generations" when it comes to the definition of what a console is...
They are called Home Consoles. Anything is " a console"...that's as broad as you can get. Home consoles aren't mixed with handhelds, never. I don't think you understand the difference no matter how many times I explain it to you.

Hugare

QH3M6o9.png
PS5 not even beating Game Gear

Disgusting

/jk

Good for Nintendo, and wow about the gap from Sony to MS. Didnt know that it was that big.

Switch will end up being the best selling console of all time for sure

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
They are called Home Consoles. Anything is " a console"...that's as broad as you can get. Home consoles aren't mixed with handhelds, never. I don't think you understand the difference no matter how many times I explain it to you.
Home consoles, table consoles, handheld consoles, shit consoles, diamond consoles are all consoles.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Not grasping at anything. You ignore the rest of my post? Apples and oranges. Not the same format, not the same target, not the same prices, tjey don't even share the games. Apples and oranges.

Most consoles aren't the same format. From form factor to functionality to media type they vary substantially between hardware revisions. That has nothing to do with whether or not they're a gaming console, what does affect it is their specific intended purpose.

Target audience? marketing - doesn't define or serve as a distinguishing characteristic of the hardware whatsoever.

Prices? Have you seen the disparity in console prices across the years? Prices are inconsistent between all hardware, often wildly so. Price has no correlation and there is no fixed brackets to define hardware types.

Don't share the same games? What does this even mean? There are cross platform games between all systems and there are exclusives to systems. This definition would mean each individual console is and is not a console - schrodinger's console

You are really grasping here.

Home consoles, table consoles, handheld consoles, shit consoles, diamond consoles are all consoles.
Handheld consoles? Lol, just no. Look, I get Nintendo has sold the most gaming devices, machines or whatever and that somehow makes you proud because maybe you have not many things of your own to be proud of...but to pretend is the same selling millions of hardware worth $50-$100 compared to millions of hardware priced $200 and above, it's nonsense.

Most consoles aren't the same format. From form factor to functionality to media type they vary substantially between hardware revisions. That has nothing to do with whether or not they're a gaming console, what does affect it is their specific intended purpose.

Target audience? marketing - doesn't define or serve as a distinguishing characteristic of the hardware whatsoever.

Prices? Have you seen the disparity in console prices across the years? Prices are inconsistent between all hardware, often wildly so. Price has no correlation and there is no fixed brackets to define hardware types.

Don't share the same games? What does this even mean? There are cross platform games between all systems and there are exclusives to systems. This definition would mean each individual console is and is not a console - schrodinger's console

You are really grasping here.
Yeah, they are all the same. So mobile phones sweep the floor with all of them, hurray!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Handheld consoles? Lol, just no. Look, I get Nintendo has sold the most gaming devices, machines or whatever and that somehow makes you proud because maybe you have not many things of your own to be proud of...but to pretend is the same selling millions of hardware worth $50-$100 compared to millions of hardware priced $200 and above, it's nonsense.
As I said, keep delivering. Next you will say laptops and heldheld pcs are not pcs and can´t be counted as pcs just as desktops...

Not really. All those portable systems are by definition games consoles. They are computer systems specifically designed to play video games.
I know in the technical sense that is true, but no one ever seriously looked at something like the GBC encroaching in the same market segment as a PS1. It's the equivalent to Apple claiming themselves the #1 console maker in the world because iPhones are also computer systems that can play video games and can "specifically" play video games since they are designed to also play them.

See what I just did there? We can stretch the technical definition just a tad and suddenly a whole flood of other devices are eligible. If we are talking about devices specifically designed to play games, in my eyes that means they ONLY play video games. So, no multimedia support beyond anything inherent to the game. No Netflix, no Hulu, no DVD or Blu-Ray functionality, etc.

That would bar everything more recent than the DS from Nintendo, more recent than PS1 for Sony, and all of Microsoft's systems.

As I said, keep delivering. Next you will say laptops and heldheld pcs are not pcs and can´t be counted as pcs just as desktops...
Laptop PCs serve a slightly different target but they are a lot more similar to a Desktop PC in pretty much everything than a GB is to a PlayStation. Sorry you can't see the difference.

PSFan

Nobody cares how you try to change the numbers to fit your narrative, Nintendo sold more consoles end of discussion.

Okay, if we are counting handhelds as consoles, then Apple should be the No 1 console maker in the world. They have sold over 2.2 billion iphones, even more if you count ipads and ipods.
Consoles and handhelds mixed up. A handheld is not a console. Switch is allowed as a console because it is a (hybrid) console.

Actually, the Switch is a handheld that you can connect to a TV. It's not really a console at all.

genesis/md is a mess to determine how many were sold, you'll notice they don't cite anything because of how much a mess it is. plus there were numerous official licensed models by jvc, samsung, tec toy, majesco, so many other things, trash record keeping by sega (shocking I know)
Yeah; including variants like the aforementioned plus the Tectoy variants (that aren't clones) puts the MegaDrive figures closer to 40 million.

I remember a statement that TecToy were selling at least 150,000 MegaDrive variants in Brazil annually up to some point not that long ago, but that's mainly a quote from a Kim Justice video documentary tho I trust they did their research (they do with other topics). Even so, I'll have to look into it myself.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I know in the technical sense that is true, but no one ever seriously looked at something like the GBC encroaching in the same market segment as a PS1. It's the equivalent to Apple claiming themselves the #1 console maker in the world because iPhones are also computer systems that can play video games and can "specifically" play video games since they are designed to also play them.

See what I just did there? We can stretch the technical definition just a tad and suddenly a whole flood of other devices are eligible. If we are talking about devices specifically designed to play games, in my eyes that means they ONLY play video games. So, no multimedia support beyond anything inherent to the game. No Netflix, no Hulu, no DVD or Blu-Ray functionality, etc.

That would bar everything more recent than the DS from Nintendo, more recent than PS1 for Sony, and all of Microsoft's systems.

People on a budget have. People with limited financial resources and time have. You may not want to admit it, but these consumer products do occupy the same space in terms of competing for consumers and their limited budgets. This is reminicent of most console war arguments where someone tries to claim manufacturer X is not competing with manufacturer Y because manufacturer Y has a different marketing campaign or their demographic makeup varies. In a market of gaming specific hardware devices - game consoles - they're all competing for the same slice of the consumers finite money and time.

And trying to use a mobile phone as a strawman is a poor position. It's a device that can play games, not a device whose specific function is to play games. There is a very clear line there. Start muddying it like that and you're moving more towards discounting current consoles from the definition based on their media functionality and focus.

You appear to be unable to backup your position.

Be honest, this is more about you being triggered and overly invested in a commercial product than any kind of rational thinking.
You seem unable to understand what the phrase Apples and Oranges mean. And you easily dismiss mobile phones as gaming machines, I wonder why. A mobile phone, or a tablet can do lots of things, same thing for a PC, laptop. Who cares if it wasn't especially designed for one specific thing? If billions of people choose that machine to game on them, that's q gaming machine to them, and that's all it matters. Many people build gaming PCs which are above all else a device for gaming to them. It's great that Nintendo has sold all those devices, I'm not trying to take anything away, but many of those are not the same as Home Consoles. Call it whatever you want, they are different. I'm done here.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Impressive, but that Sony number is definitely more impressive with nearly 15 years less time on the market and fewer console releases.
Kinda scary from a competitive standpoint tbh.
Still congrats to Nintendo.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
You seem unable to understand what the phrase Apples and Oranges mean. And you easily dismiss mobile phones as gaming machines, I wonder why. A mobile phone, or a tablet can do lots of things, same thing for a PC, laptop. Who cares if it wasn't especially designed for one specific thing? If billions of people choose that machine to game on them, that's q gaming machine to them, and that's all it matters. Many people build gaming PCs which are above all else a device for gaming to them. It's great that Nintendo has sold all those devices, I'm not trying to take anything away, but many of those are not the same as Home Consoles. Call it whatever you want, they are different. I'm done here.

I do, it's just that your analogy is ill-considered and poorly supported.

You fall apart when you ask "Who cares if it wasn't specifically designed for one specific thing" - that's the definition of a games console: A computing device specifically designed to for one specific thing - playing video games. That's the entire crux of the argument. Portable consoles and home consoles are gaming consoles because they're computer devices specifically designed for one specific thing - playing games. A mobile phone, PC, texas instruments calculator etc. may be able to play games, but that is not their specific purpose. They can, but it is not their primary function and specific purpose.

You struggle with this because you don't actually have a definition of a games console. You just want to dismiss something that you feel threatens the emotional and financial investment you have in a consumer product.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Why shouldn't handhelds be accounted for in a ranking of "most consoles sold"? Aren't they consoles anymore?
It's quite funny seeing Sony fanboys trying to downplay this

God not this fanboy nonsense, they are different markets, just look at the prices of the consoles:

The GBA was launched at $100, the GBA was launched at $100, the DS was $150, the 3DS had to be reduced from $250 to $170 less than 6 months from release. The only outlier is the Switch, with its $300 price tag. Together they make up 521 Million units, really damn impressive for sure, but it's a low cost market with a lower attach rate, you can't directly compare them to home consoles.

If you compare home consoles, the market Nintendo competes in with Sony, then across the NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii and Wii U (6 platforms), they only sold ~281 million units.

Last edited:

Mozza

They are doing it still by combining Switch sales with Switch Lite sales like they are one in the same.

One's a home console/portable hybrid, the other is a dedicated handheld.

It would be one thing if they both played the same games - but they don't. There are several games you can't even play on the lite due to the functionality they removed.

You're telling me that if Sony had released a PS4 portable that played 99% of the games that PS4 did that those sales would be combined together? GTFO!

But Nintendo...
So we are not counting the PS4, PS4 slim, or PS4 pro as the same thing, you sound like you want it all ways.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
It's their handhelds that is the real story. If you take only the home consoles, even including Switch, PlayStation is ahead by quite a lot, even with Nintendo's over decade head start.

But, Nintendo's handhelds have bern absolutely dominate ever since the GameBoy.
Nintendo DS was a megabeast, even more so than Gameboy.

Mozza

Nintendos 1st party FULLY exclusive offering is the most comprehensive in the industry making their hardware a MUST buy..... instead of PlayStation and Xbox's approach of optional or semi optional purchase, which is just weak-water.

I don't agree with calling Switch a home console though if that is what they are doing here. It's a handheld.
It's both surely, or have i been imagining playing it on my telly and projector all these years, the lite you could argue is a handheld, see what you have done, now even I am confused. ;)

MrA

Banned
Impressive, but that Sony number is definitely more impressive with nearly 15 years less time on the market and fewer console releases.
Kinda scary from a competitive standpoint tbh.
Still congrats to Nintendo.
why is counting so hard for sony fans 94-83 is 11 or for the west 95-85 10 years, plus sony spent their way into healthy markets, number craved them out of non-existent and collapsed markets

NickFire

They have completed 80% of the journey to a billion consoles sold. The 8 year old me would have believed that milestone was possible. Would have probably doubted that in the ensuing decades. But now I'd say it's probably inevitable.

Labadal

The definition of what the Switch actually is will be determined by how many units of hardware it sells, if it had sold like the Wii U then it would have been a home console, but as it's selling better and possibly going to outsell the PS4, and might even get close to the PS2, then it's a handheld. ;)
It's a home console for me, a handheld for others. My Switch has never left the house and has 99% play time on the big screen.

I do, it's just that your analogy is ill-considered and poorly supported.

You fall apart when you ask "Who cares if it wasn't specifically designed for one specific thing" - that's the definition of a games console: A computing device specifically designed to for one specific thing - playing video games. That's the entire crux of the argument. Portable consoles and home consoles are gaming consoles because they're computer devices specifically designed for one specific thing - playing games. A mobile phone, PC, texas instruments calculator etc. may be able to play games, but that is not their specific purpose. They can, but it is not their primary function and specific purpose.

You struggle with this because you don't actually have a definition of a games console. You just want to dismiss something that you feel threatens the emotional and financial investment you have in a consumer product.
Dude. I never said they are not gaming devices. All I wanted is to make the difference clear between a home console and a handheld. To you they're the same. Whatever. I'm done with you trying to project your own insecurities on me, like that's where you wanted to take the discussion to prove a point or whatever. Really pathetic. I never meant to rain on your victory parade. Go have fun with your Nintendo, by all means , kid.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
You mean like how they had to combine consoles and handhelds to get Nintendo those accolades? If you take out the handhelds, Sony has far outsold Nintendo in actual game consoles.

So if you get rid of half of the consoles Nintendo's made 🤣 ?

FStubbs

Phones are not specifically designed to play video games. They are able to, but that is not their specific purpose.

You're grasping. A games console is just a computer systems specifically designed to play video games.
Glad you agree with me that the Steamdeck is a console.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The definition of what the Switch actually is will be determined by how many units of hardware it sells
So how does that work? What does the threshold between console and not console look like and how many units does it need to sell before it's a console or handheld?

Maybe what's unique about Switch is that the distinction really doesn't matter.

Forget about the GameCube and Wii U did we lol.
I was talking about the future. You forgot the Virtual Boy btw.
This is what's known as Nintendo ultras ideology.
Nope, i just highly doubt Sony can sell 250 million more consoles than Nintendo in the time we have until streaming dominates and consoles become obsolete. And i think Nintendo learned from their mistakes in the past. And btw. my last Nintendo console was a Wii.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Dude. I never said they are not gaming devices. All I wanted is to make the difference clear between a home console and a handheld. To you they're the same. Whatever. I'm done with you trying to project your own insecurities on me, like that's where you wanted to take the discussion to prove a point or whatever. Really pathetic. I never meant to rain on your victory parade. Go have fun with your Nintendo, by all means , kid.

You said you were done before, yet here you are again. You're as inconsistent as your definition of a gaming console.

No insecurities here. You made a claim, that claim was challenged. You couldn't backup that claim up so now you're resorting to this little strop in an effort to shift away from the mess you've made. Don't get so emotionally invested in consumer products..

Marvel14

Banned
I was talking about the future. You forgot the Virtual Boy btw.

Nope, i just highly doubt Sony can sell 250 million more consoles than Nintendo in the time we have until streaming dominates and consoles become obsolete. And i think Nintendo learned from their mistakes in the past. And btw. my last Nintendo console was a Wii.
There's every chance Nintendo's next console could be a flop....every major success pushes a company to overconfidence.

McCheese

Most people thought the home console market was stone-cold dead when they released the NES, I remember pundits thinking Nintendo were crazy and would go out of business for not sticking to the arcade, this was the same time they were burying Atari's in a desert as nobody wanted that junk.

It's nuts to think that was 800 million consoles ago now, I hope Nintendo never stop taking risks. Warms my heart to think of the countless hours of joy those 800 million consoles have brought us.

Last edited:

Mozza

So how does that work? What does the threshold between console and not console look like and how many units does it need to sell before it's a console or handheld?

Maybe what's unique about Switch is that the distinction really doesn't matter.
Totally agree with you, my comment was a poor attempt at humor based on some suggesting the Switch was not a home console so it's sales should not be compared, unless of course it sales did not enter the equation.

But to me they are all consoles by definition, a dedicated handheld or a home console both do pretty much the same job, both have a machine that accepts software, the type of display output should not matter, so a home console connects to a T.V, and a handheld in effect has it's own built in display device, still little fundamental difference, what next, are we going to suggest a home console has to be connected to a certain size display before it can be classed as a home console.

The Switch is of course a tough one, because their argument is made redundant by the fact it can be connected to a T.V, but the whole argument is moot in the first place.

noshten

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl are going to launch on a 92 million+ userbase...
Legends Arceus, Splatoon 3 & a Breath of the Wild sequel are launching on a 100 million+ userbase...
The launches of these four games could be absolute bonkers - over 15 million out of the gate...
In terms of Software sales 2020 < 2021 < 2022

Splatoon 3 has had a lot more time than the sequel did, I wouldn't bet against Zelda team after Breath of the Wild, Pokemons just sells and even Lets Go showed there is an audience for this type of spin-offs..

A great position for Nintendo to be, especially with the amount of indie & Japanese Third party support they are receiving

Top Bottom