• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Confirms That Splatoon 3's Shiver Identifies As Female

People care about the nuances of character they enjoy.

Dumb post
Yes it’s a dumb point to make, against a straw man no less. You’re pretending you don’t know that fans of a thing care about the characters beyond the source material. That’s not a call for you to accept or agree with it, but you look like a nitwit when you feign ignorance for the sake of a cheap joke.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Lol remember when john dimmagio said “who gives a shit” to that fan that asked him if Kate from gears was gay? Thats how i feel. Representation is great and i have plenty of non binary friends who are all great people. But desperatley trying to force representation into something is just silly.

Tangerine

Did someone forget to log out of his alt account or something?

Busted. I wonder if people who are clearly onboard with this 'progressive' agenda; are told by their activist peers that in order to be an effective mouth piece for the radical left, it's required to have at least two accounts on twitter etc to artificially inflate the number of 'offended' voices online.

Because they clearly need amplifying as they are in the minority. Perhaps it's a prerequisite for being an activist on the left?

It's what's about to be proven on some level with Twitter and the bot account issue... re: Elon deciding not to purchase it.

Just a thought.

if that's how the designer envisioned the character, so be it

it's not like it really matters if not for representation

overreacting a bit there
No I'm not. I'm getting sick of snowflakes getting catered while this impacts the narrative to a point that it feels forced.
It kills the fun of a game if it's a tacked on social aspect just for the sake of inclusiveness.

Let the whiners whine and the gamers game.

TLOU2 is a good example of fitting sexuality. A girl who finds out she's a Lesbian. No problems with that.

Splatoon is a prime example of needless gender fluidity/ identity. It feels forced and add nothing to the experience.
Yeah, it adds irritations.

It's a simple matter of 1 word: CONTEXT.
And in Splatoons context, gender identification is straight up horseshit.

Last edited:
No I'm not. I'm getting sick of snowflakes getting catered while this impacts the narrative to a point that it feels forced.
It kills the fun of a game if it's a tacked on social aspect just for the sake of inclusiveness.

Let the whiners whine and the gamers game.

Splatoon is a prime example of needless gender fluidity. It feels forced and add nothing to the experience.
Yeah, it adds irritations.
This is just wrong though. Splatoon’s fanbase is exactly who’d you’d expect to be into this sort of thing.

My question is why some of you feel so comfortable speaking on things you clearly know nothing about?

Last edited:
This is just wrong though. Splatoon’s fanbase is exactly who’d you’d expect to be into this sort of thing.

My question is why some of you feel so comfortable speaking on things you clearly know nothing about?
This is 100% true if anyone has actually played Splatoon and looked at the art work in people's avatars lol.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
An alien squid/ whatever in a team based shooter, yeah their gender/ sexuality fits perfectly.....

Whats next, we will find out Kirby had a sex change operation, whil it adds nothing to the experience?

I dont mind this gender stuff, as long as it fits the narrative. I DO mind if its tacked on, just for the social aspect of it, to satisfy a small group of entitled people.
Maybe this clarifies it a bit. ;)

It kind of feels like developers are Origami at this time, they fold under pressure.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Season 6 Idk GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

What ae we even doing? Trans Squids?

Astral Dog

Lmao, i just assumed she was a (very shark looking) girl already, All the commentators have been girls so far. Now a twist would be if it was a boy!

Thought this would be about the big manta thing

Edit: i see, so this is more about Nintendo being forced to confirm the shark looking girl is female, i guess blue is a color commonly associated with boys and a few fans got confused 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
An alien squid/ whatever in a team based shooter, yeah their gender/ sexuality fits perfectly.....

Whats next, we will find out Kirby had a sex change operation, whil it adds nothing to the experience?

I dont mind this gender stuff, as long as it fits the narrative. I DO mind if its tacked on, just for the social aspect of it, to satisfy a small group of entitled people.
Maybe this clarifies it a bit. ;)

It kind of feels like developers are Origami at this time, they fold under pressure.
“Gender stuff” has existed long before there was even media to apply it to. I see nothing wrong with simply skipping any game you feel is targeting some other audience and not you.

Busted. I wonder if people who are clearly onboard with this 'progressive' agenda; are told by their activist peers that in order to be an effective mouth piece for the radical left, it's required to have at least two accounts on twitter etc to artificially inflate the number of 'offended' voices online.

Because they clearly need amplifying as they are in the minority. Perhaps it's a prerequisite for being an activist on the left?

It's what's about to be proven on some level with Twitter and the bot account issue... re: Elon deciding not to purchase it.

Just a thought.
Yep. Check this out to see one way they do it -
https://www.dailyveracity.com/2022/...ons-sinse-2019-theyre-gearing-up-for-novembe/

“Gender stuff” has existed long before there was even media to apply it to. I see nothing wrong with simply skipping any game you feel is targeting some other audience and not you.
No gender stuff has skyrocketed to a point anyone can make up a gender and feel offended if its not accepted. Thats the whole point.
And devs give them a podium they dont deserve.

A physical male who feels female, no problem with that.
A physical female who feels male, no problem with that.

Gay people, also no problem whatsoever.

Someone who doesnt know if they're female, male, a gardenhose, or an Apache Helicpoter has mental issues.
And devs are giving them a platform...

Thats my gripe.

I understand your point of view, and you respect mine. But we just dont agree on each others standpoints.
And that's fine, that's what discussion boards are for. :)

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
How long before they issue an apology and backtrack what they said?
Japan is the last place where companies are allowed to not care about rainbows. I mean last place that makes real money, there are many places, but Nintendo has made anti rainbow stances in games and stuck with them.

Ages ago people wanted to make dumb Mii stories in some trash first party game and Nintendo disallowed gay interactions. It stuck and people moved on.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The dumbest part of the “representation matters” mindset is that they feel like they NEED to make their token diversity character into some boring-ass, anti-stereotypical Mary Sue. The purpose of the character is to be an infomercial for how wonderful some identity can be.

And if there’s some non-heterosexual relationship, they portray it as totally tender, loving, unremarkable, and utterly boring. Like they make it as obvious as possible that it’s only there to promote diversity instead of being essential to the plot.

Want to really show that “representation matters”? How about don’t be afraid to make them into actual characters. Make some gay/non-binary/minority characters that are villains, assholes, hubristic/overconfident authority figures, or morally ambiguous. Make them have actual flaws and get into conflicts with their partner.

jaysius

Banned
So they don't like the limited binary choice of male of female..
so they decided to broaden it to binary and non-binary... and because they are really stupid.. completely unware that it then becomes a new binary.
Umm... this isn't the place for silly gender talk.

But binary means 2 it would exceed binary at that point because it includes the original male and female(two things)... not "become a new one". It's not as you stated, they don't count binary as one group and non binary as another, that's not how grouping works in this regard. My issue here is just intelligence. Let's not call people stupid when we're not knowing how to count to two or above. You might have been thinking of a dichotomy but you'd be wrong and we shouldn't use those words here.

Look on Gaf It's fine to not hug rainbows, but please don't be ignorant of how to count.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Birdo was the first non-binary Nintendo character.

Also Yoshi shattered gender stereotypes by showing that male dinosaurs can lay eggs just as well as any female dinosaur. I’d like to thank Nintendo for teaching me that men can do anything as long as they put their mind to it.

jaysius

Banned
He\she like to suck on everything so we can at least assume that he is not asexual.
Kirby is a vore with undiagnosed pica eating disorder. I'm not sure how the lore goes if it's able to asexually reproduce or not.

If you want a fun ride, that tlc slow where the guy fucked his car also talks about people with Pica one lady couldn't stop eating powdered stain remover.

Last edited:

Tangerine

That. Is very interesting and disturbing...and pretty damning too.

Definitely something I'll share. Something I hope is already widely known and I'm out the loop.

Otherwise Tim Pool, Lotus Eaters (Sargon), Dave Rubin, Matt Walsh, Andrew Knowles etc. etc. should run news stories on it. Maybe they already have though? But maybe it needs repeating and or it's a bigger problem now. An evolving/developing problem...

Birdo was the first non-binary Nintendo character.

Also Yoshi shattered gender stereotypes by showing that male dinosaurs can lay eggs just as well as any female dinosaur. I’d like to thank Nintendo for teaching me that men can do anything as long as they put their mind to it.
Tried to give birth, turned out I had to take a shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom