• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Confirms That Splatoon 3's Shiver Identifies As Female

Tangerine

Nintendo Confirms That Splatoon 3's Shiver Identifies As Female.

Confirmation from Nintendo of America.

Last week, we reported on fan speculation that Shiver, a member of the band Deep Cut in Splatoon 3 and one of a trio of new announcers in the game, could potentially be Nintendo's first major non-binary character. Compelling evidence from the recent Splatoon 3 Direct suggested that gender-specific language was deliberately avoided across multiple localised versions of trailers and clips for the upcoming game.

Many fans were pleased to see this small but significant step forward for inclusivity and representation in first-party Nintendo games, and it seemed unlikely to be a coincidence. However, Nintendo has now confirmed that Shiver identifies as female and will use she/her pronouns in the game.

As reported by The Verge, the information was obtained through conversation with Nintendo's senior vice president of development and publishing, Nate Bihldorff. GameXplain was also able to confirm with Nintendo of America that Shiver identifies as female during their preview time with the game.

While some Splatoon fans will be unphased by this confirmation one way or another, there will be others for whom this may come as a disappointment. The game already eschews binary male/female options in its character creator (you're offered different styles rather than a specifically gendered character), but as one of the company's most exciting and — yes — freshest IPs, it felt like the perfect game to introduce a little more diversity into the world of Nintendo.

1jbofkE.png

Source: Nintendo Life
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...-that-splatoon-3s-shiver-identifies-as-female

Look at all this now debunked detective work people did a week ago, seriously:

Splatoon 3's Shiver Appears To Be Nintendo's First Major Non-Binary Character

It's all here for anyone who cares:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...be-nintendos-first-major-non-binary-character

i have an inkling (hah) people are so desperate for what they consider to be proper representation in games they clearly went all charlie/pepe silvia, from sunny in Philadelphia.

8w4chWc.jpg

The long search for representation for non binary people in Nintendo made games continues... A crying shame I'm sure most of you will agree. I for one, am outraged that shiver is female. Maybe one day Japan will realise there are at least 2 dozen genders and a hundred pronouns. They are so backwards. I can't tolerate intolerant people. Fuck Shiver right in her disgusting female parts. That'll learn her/she/inkling. #Squidshavemorethan2genders

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Once again the non binary community stretching until they are forced to be knocked back into their hole. They assert their reality and shout everyone down unless the creators themselves are brave enough to step into the ring and say "sorry your wrong" only to then receive complaints about missed opportunities.

Honestly before I opened the topic I assumed they where going to be talking about the sting ray, as I thought the other two where clearly female anyway. Had no idea this was even a thing as I stay away from social media.

Last edited:
As someone who occasionally visits the Splatoon reddit, I am thrilled by this. The insanity that has been going on over there regarding this shit since the initial reveal has been beyond obnoxious. People were forcing it over literally nothing. These gender zealots are miserable people. I can’t wait until their religious fad fades.

Last edited:
Who the hell are these fans who discuss the gender of an announcer in Splatoon 3?
Splatoon is very popular with the lgbt community. I'm not sure about right now, but you could often see fanart in the game that mentioned trans right and such.

I don't understand, does she talk to herself in third person?
She's part of an idol group and mostly just referred to their collective as "us" leaving some vain hope for people who wanted her to be non-binary.

Tangerine

Who the hell are these fans who discuss the gender of an announcer in Splatoon 3?

Exactly. I would bet money the majority are not fans of the game and wouldn't purchase it regardless of shiver being non binary or in fact, as it turns out, female... They just try to co-opt anything they can in popular culture that can further their political agenda. In this case it's gaming.

Some play games of course, but I don't think it's the majority of people theorising on whether the inkling is non binary.

WTF is wrong with the entire gaming industry!?!?!?

Splatoon's major audience is kids. Kids shouldn't be bothered with this gender shit....................
That being said, there are 2 genders. The rest are mental disorders.

There I said it, I regret nothing.

There needs to be another videogame crash for developers to understand this forced inclusiveness is killing the quality of the media.
Take a peak at the SR reboot..... Yeah, thats a dumpster fire of Biblical proportions.

Last edited:

Majukun

if that's how the designer envisioned the character, so be it

it's not like it really matters if not for representation

WTF is wrong with the entire gaming industry!?!?!?

Splatoon's major audience is kids. Kids shouldn't be bothered with this gender shit....................
That being said, there are 2 genders. The rest are mental disorders.

There I said it, I regret nothing.

There needs to be another videogame crash for developers to understand this forced inclusiveness is killing the quality of the media.
Take a peak at the SR reboot..... Yeah, thats a dumpster fire of Biblical proportions.
overreacting a bit there

Last edited:
Top Bottom