• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 64 Vs. PlayStation: Which console was more innovative?

BlackTron

I see a lot of getting caught up on who did something FIRST, but that's not really what innovation is about...for example I think the best example I can think of is the Wii Remote, even though it was just a wireless bluetooth controller and an IR camera. IR was not new, it was what made TV remote controls work since forever ago. Despite that Nintendo did not invent this tech, they used it in an extremely innovative way to make a disruptive game controller that was cheap to produce.

Innovation often means taking existing tech and implementing it in a different way that wasn't expected.

On another note, the N64 stick may not be truly analog, but it's still the best control stick on any console controller ever produce so IDGAF. Changing to analog was apparently a regression from the 64's design because nothing is as precise or accurate as that thing.

SkylineRKR

Playstation brought gaming to a new level.

I was sceptical when it was announced, as we were on the back of the 3DO, CD32 and all that trash. But PSX was affordable (though twice as expensive as a 16-bit console I think), and actually played fine. My issue with those older CD systems was that they played awful and the 3D looked bad. PSX was the first system to get it right. Saturn got it right as well, but it was immediately obvious the PSX had an edge. CD quality sound, 3D gaming. It was finally there. And paired with actual good games like Tekken, Ridge Racer.

N64 never really delivered if you ask me. Remember it came on the back of the SNES and was supposed to dwarf the PSX and Saturn in terms of tech and sales. It was marketed as 64 bit, came out over a year later (2 years in Japan) but while Mario took gaming to a new level as well, it was pretty much all it could do (N64 has lots of platform games, and is lacking in lots of other genres). Sound, IQ and performance of N64 games was generally awful. I think PSX stole its thunder already, but Mario 64 was absolutely a landmark that initially dwarfed the other systems. The reception reflected this. N64 started out good, but fell behind and was eventually a non factor for Sony.

Lognor

Banned
I already proved that Sony implemented rumble first. By two whole days. And who did it best is not subjective. Nobody ever used rumble the way Nintendo implemented it after the N64. Nobody. But Sony's implementation of rumble is still used today, including in Nintendo's own Switch Pro controller. Also, there are only rumors of why rumble was removed from non-Japanese versions of the Dual Analog Controller. There are several rumors, none of which were ever corroborated or confirmed (which is why you had to use the word "allegedly"). I could allege that you are a serial rapist. That doesn't make it true. Reeee harder.

I'm not fanboying and saying Sony is better than Nintendo. You're hearing that because you're the one who is stuck in fanboy mode. I'm laying out the facts, and that's it. I'm sorry you can't handle Nintendo not being first/best at everything. Grow up.
Sony copied Nintendo on rumble and was not able to get it out worldwide before Nintendo. Nintendo got it out worldwide first. That is a fact. And you were proven wrong on your statement that nobody used rumble in the same way as Nintendo. You're wrong. And saying one is better IS subjective. Is English not your first language? Look up the definition of subjective.

And it's NOT Sony's rumble. If that was the case Nintendo would not be able to use it because Sony would have patented it. So stop with all the unnecessary Sony praise. It's quite the fanboy tactic.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Sony copied Nintendo on rumble and was not able to get it out worldwide before Nintendo. Nintendo got it out worldwide first. That is a fact. And you were proven wrong on your statement that nobody used rumble in the same way as Nintendo. You're wrong. And saying one is better IS subjective. Is English not your first language? Look up the definition of subjective.

And it's NOT Sony's rumble. If that was the case Nintendo would not be able to use it because Sony would have patented it. So stop with all the unnecessary Sony praise. It's quite the fanboy tactic.

I've already said my piece to you. Continue on with your life.

HofT

I see a lot of getting caught up on who did something FIRST, but that's not really what innovation is about...for example I think the best example I can think of is the Wii Remote, even though it was just a wireless bluetooth controller and an IR camera. IR was not new, it was what made TV remote controls work since forever ago. Despite that Nintendo did not invent this tech, they used it in an extremely innovative way to make a disruptive game controller that was cheap to produce.

Innovation often means taking existing tech and implementing it in a different way that wasn't expected.

On another note, the N64 stick may not be truly analog, but it's still the best control stick on any console controller ever produce so IDGAF. Changing to analog was apparently a regression from the 64's design because nothing is as precise or accurate as that thing.
The Control Stick complementing Mario 64 was the innovation

The N64 and is not even close. N64 was the first modern console in terms of chipset design (carts be damned) with a CPU, GPU and unified memory like all consoles are today. Everything was done on the CPU on Ps1 like previous consoles.
N64 pioneered graphical features that we take for granted nowadays like AA, texture filtering, mipmapping, z buffer, perspective correction....etc.

Psx was an old design it had very little innovation by comparison. So N64 and its not even a contest

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The N64 and is not even close. N64 was the first modern console in terms of chipset design (carts be damned) with a CPU, GPU and unified memory like all consoles are today. Everything was done on the CPU on Ps1 like previous consoles.
N64 pioneered graphical features that we take for granted nowadays like AA, texture filtering, mipmapping, z buffer, perspective correction....etc.

Psx was an old design it had very little innovation by comparison. So N64 and its not even a contest

PSX was easier to make games for.
PSX had vastly superior sound quality.
PSX moved to CD-ROMs and allowed a game to span multiple discs.
PSX had superior realistic graphics (although N64 had superior cartoon-style graphics... but since I don't like the cartoon-style graphics I see that as a win for the PSX.
PSX was the first to launch rumble support for their controllers (released just days before Nintendo in Japan).
PSX first introduced Dual Analog Controls which are still used to this day.

I'd say it's still a contest. There was plenty of innovation from Sony on their first-ever console. it was especially impressive when you stop and realize that you're comparing the PSX console from Sony to Nintendo's newest console (at the time) when Nintendo had already been in the console business for a decade at that point, and they had two previously released console successes (and a handheld console as well).

Last edited:
PSX had superior realistic graphics (although N64 had superior cartoon-style graphics... but since I don't like the cartoon-style graphics I see that as a win for the PSX.
PSX was the first to launch rumble support for their controllers (released just days before Nintendo in Japan).

I'd say it's still a contest. There was plenty of innovation from Sony on their first-ever console. it was especially impressive when you stop and realize that you're comparing the PSX console from Sony to Nintendo's newest console (at the time) when Nintendo had already been in the console business for a decade at that point, and they had two previously released console successes (and a handheld console as well).
Most of our points are either false or totally irrelevant.(having better audio is innovation?lol more realistic graphics what does that even.mean)

N64 rumble pack was launched in April 97 while Dual Shock launched November 97. Please dont make up things.

I was talking about more about the console hardware itself. The Psx was a very old fashioned outdated system when N64 launched.

Btw the playstation controler didnt even have sticks until november 1997 and not many games used Dual Analog controls.
The N64s C buttons were a buttony-fied version of a second stick as see in Mario64 june 1996, and first game ever to feature Dual analog controls was Goldeneye 007 in august of 1997(two pads).

So no. Not even close.

What you're saying is who did it first isn't as important as who did it best. Let's follow that to it's natural conclusion.
  • Nintendo had the first mainstream controller design (the Family Computer controller). Sony improved on this with their PSX controller. Almost all other non-specialized controllers (joysticks, arcade pads, joycons, et cetera) since then have been based on the PSX controller design.
  • Nintendo had the first "great" thumb stick controller design. Sony improved on this with their Dual Analog Controller. Almost all other non-specialized controllers (joysticks, arcade pads, joycons, et cetera) since then have been based on the PSX controller design.
  • Nintendo first stated the idea for a rumble feature in the controller. Sony beat them to this and improved on Nintendo's version of rumble with their Dual Analog Controller, and subsequently their DualShock controllers. Almost all other non-specialized controllers (joysticks, arcade pads, joycons, et cetera) since then have been based on this PSX controller design.
The "who did it best" in these two categories goes to Sony. I have stated from the beginning that who did it first isn't as important as who did it best. Nintendo did not implement the rumble feature the best with the N64 controller, and they also did not implement it first. Nintendo did not implement the analog controllers the best with the N64 controller, and they also did not implement it first. Technically, Nintendo didn't use an analog controller at all with the N64. Thumb stick =/= analog. The N64 controller had a thumb stick, but it wasn't analog (meaning it did not use potentiometers to measure the position of the stick). That's why the N64 controller had to be calibrated every time you turned on the N64, and that's why the Dual Analog Controller did not have to be calibrated each time.

Either way you look at it (first or best) Nintendo lost. They didn't implement the features first in both rumble and analog functionality, and they didn't implement them better than Sony did with the PSX.

If that's the case, MS and Nintendo outdid the Sony DualShock in return. Prior to the PS4, Sony's controllers sucked. The handles were so small they gave cramps if you didn't have baby hands, and the split d-pad was bad for 2d games.

Most of our points are either false or totally irrelevant.(having better audio is innovation?lol more realistic graphics what does that even.mean)

N64 rumble pack was launched in April 97 while Dual Shock launched November 97. Please dont make up things.

I was talking about more about the console hardware itself. The Psx was a very old fashioned outdated system when N64 launched.

Btw the playstation controler didnt even have sticks until november 1997 and not many games used Dual Analog controls.
The N64s C buttons were a buttony-fied version of a second stick as see in Mario64 june 1996, and first game ever to feature Dual analog controls was Goldeneye 007 in august of 1997(two pads).

So no. Not even close.
I was curious and looked it up myself but they may be right about the rumble motors. Seems there was a controller for the PS1 called the Dual Analog that pre-dates the Dual Shock. This was released in April of 97 and features twin sticks and Rumble Motors. When this controller was brought to Europe and America the Rumble Motors were removed as they thought the Dual Analog was more important and the Rumble Motors were causing malfunctions in the controllers.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller

I can't verify the accuracy of this but that's what I found on it.

I was curious and looked it up myself but they may be right about the rumble motors. Seems there was a controller for the PS1 called the Dual Analog that pre-dates the Dual Shock. This was released in April of 97 and features twin sticks and Rumble Motors. When this controller was brought to Europe and America the Rumble Motors were removed as they thought the Dual Analog was more important and the Rumble Motors were causing malfunctions in the controllers.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_Analog_Controller

I can't verify the accuracy of this but that's what I found on it.
Ok. I take that part back. I was wrong. Rumble was released about the same time for both plataforms. Which is still irrelevant to my original post.
The N64 hardware was leaps and bounds more modern and innovative than the PSX. It was a paradigm change in terms of computer graphics. The first console with true accelerated 3D graphics with a hardware configuration which is basically the same that modern consoles use today. CPU+GPU+UMA

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The PS1 arguably may have had more good to great games than the N64 had games in total, and innovated on software in ways the N64 couldn't. That said, the N64 had the analogue stick, z-targeting and rumble. The N64 was the most innovative of the two in terms of hardware, but in hindsight the PS1 ended up being more important for gaming than the N64 was.

Ok. I take that part back. I was wrong. Rumble was released about the same time for both plataforms. Which is still irrelevant to my original post.
The N64 hardware was leaps and bounds more modern and innovative than the PSX. It was a paradigm change in terms of computer graphics. The first console with true accelerated 3D graphics with a hardware configuration which is basically the same that modern consoles use today. CPU+GPU+UMA
I agree. I was just curious about that one point and the other person never provided any evidence for it. I am aware of the N64s capabilities. I believe the PSX wasn't even designed to handle 3D games. Which is probably why it has that texture wobble. Though I got to say it did do 3D quite well for a system that wasn't designed for it.

I agree. I was just curious about that one point and the other person never provided any evidence for it. I am aware of the N64s capabilities. I believe the PSX wasn't even designed to handle 3D games. Which is probably why it has that texture wobble. Though I got to say it did do 3D quite well for a system that wasn't designed for it.
It was indeed designed for 3D its just that N64 solid style 3D graphics in 1994 was only possible in professional Workstations that were worth 10s of thousands of dollars. Things like AA and trilinear mip mapping was just to espensive for consumer prices.
Playstation actually was very powerful for late 1994 but very primitive and old school sort to speak.

TLZ

Banned
You laugh at the poster you're responding to then post this? You're really reaching too much trying too hard to make out the C buttons as another analogue stick. They're buttons. There is only one analogue stick on the N64 controller. Golden eye is not the first game ever to feature dual analogue if there's only one analogue stick.

You laugh at the poster you're responding to then post this? You're really reaching too much trying too hard to make out the C buttons as another analogue stick. They're buttons. There is only one analogue stick on the N64 controller. Golden eye is not the first game ever to feature dual analogue if there's only one analogue stick.
I can't verify if Goldeneye was the first to do it but the game could be played using 2 controllers giving it a dual stick option. This was also featured in Perfect Dark. I have tried it and it's a pretty cool feature if not a bit unwieldy to hold 2 N64 controllers.

The c buttons were designed and used for camera controls so was indeed a precursor of the second analogue so much so the Gamecube controlwrs second analogue was called C stick an evolution of the C buttons concept.
Also yes Goldeneye coud be played with dual analogs in 1997 it was the 2.x mode in the control menu

yhTfWfb.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You could even play N64 FPS with d-pad movement + right stick camera holding the left and center handles so there was no need for a 2nd pad to get a modern non reversed scheme, it's not like we miss analog on wasd. But all this has been said in previous pages, trolls like TLZ don't care 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everybody had a n64, if you had a ps1 that was cool too. The ps1 felt like a solo act the n64 had more controller ports I grew up loving multiplayer (turok, smash bros)

TLZ

Banned
I can't verify if Goldeneye was the first to do it but the game could be played using 2 controllers giving it a dual stick option. This was also featured in Perfect Dark. I have tried it and it's a pretty cool feature if not a bit unwieldy to hold 2 N64 controllers.
That's not innovative at all! That's horrible design.

The c buttons were designed and used for camera controls so was indeed a precursor of the second analogue so much so the Gamecube controlwrs second analogue was called C stick an evolution of the C buttons concept.
Also yes Goldeneye coud be played with dual analogs in 1997 it was the 2.x mode in the control menu
The dpad is the precursor to the left stick for movement then. That still doesn't count.

And like jimonjimmy said, for 2 analogue you need 2 controllers, and that's horrible.

That's not innovative at all! That's horrible design.

The dpad is the precursor to the left stick for movement then. That still doesn't count.

And like jimonjimmy said, for 2 analogue you need 2 controllers, and that's horrible.
I didn't say it was inovative I just wanted to clarify. It wasn't a very good way to play but it was pretty clever. The best way to play was to use the D-Pad to move and Joystick to aim as someone already said.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't say it was inovative I just wanted to clarify. It wasn't a very good way to play but it was pretty clever. The best way to play was to use the D-Pad to move and Joystick to aim as someone already said.
dual controllers for goldeneye and perfect dark is hilarious.

I didn't even know you could do it back when these games were new, but I realized it years later via emulation. I actually managed to play it that way last year when I snagged an N64 and 4 controllers at a thrift shop. Managed to get Perfect Dark and Goldeneye from my brother. It's so insanely weird to play to that way but a cool novelty from back then. 10/10 would recommend.

aclar00

Though i def give Nintendo credit for introducing the thumbsticks to consoles, i think Sony one upped them by adding dual analog thumbsticks.

I kind of liken it to the invention of the bicycle and motorcycle. The latter just took the concept to a whole 'nother level

Cherrypepsi

Turok used the C buttons on the right for movement and the stick with your left thumb to aim, which is weird by todays standards but it worked well at the time.

Lognor

Banned

Holy shit. You're still here. Trying to downplay all the innovation in the n64. Can't believe you're still posting these long ass posts months later because a lot of ppl think the n64 was more innovative. It was. Deal with it.

i remember walking into games stores and always being amazed by how large the ps1 library was.
you'd see a bunch of new games every time...
and you'd look at the games and think "wow, 99% of these are absolute trash".

i also remember walking into games stores and always thinking the n64 only had 15 games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Turok used the C buttons on the right for movement and the stick with your left thumb to aim, which is weird by todays standards but it worked well at the time.
If you use the "left handed" control it does the normal/modern d-pad to move/strafe, "right" stick to look around/turn, like GoldenEye and most other FPS on N64 allowed (without calling it left handed because it really isn't). A and B are a bit weird to reach like that but it's fine with shoot on Z etc.

This is how you used the controller. The first image for your standard 3D games like Mario 64, the second for FPS and the third for 2D gameplay, which it had so little of, but it would have been the mode to use for a Street Fighter etc., it really did everything, just (like its competitors) not perfectly.
screenshot99mjvy.png
screenshot106zj53.png
screenshot11o5jz1.png

Of course back then you didn't have tons of settings to fine tune camera speed, acceleration etc., but the middle is basically the modern FP/TP control scheme, it works very well & is available in the vast majority of FPS on the system, even if, much like dual analog, it was new & weird back then.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

PlayStation had disc-based media and dual analogue sticks. I don't know if I'd call them influential, but I don't remember Sony switching to carts and single analogue sticks with their next console.

Last edited:
The N64 had some seminal titles and tech behind it but I’d lean towards the PSX because of the accessible dev friendly tech, controller upgrades over its lifecycle and the amazing software library.

Also the PlayStation played my Prodigy and Sum41 CDs (with a visualizer!) which no N64 could’ve done 😆

Dream-Knife

Banned
If you use the "left handed" control it does the normal/modern d-pad to move/strafe, "right" stick to look around/turn, like GoldenEye and most other FPS on N64 allowed (without calling it left handed because it really isn't). A and B are a bit weird to reach like that but it's fine with shoot on Z etc.

This is how you used the controller. The first image for your standard 3D games like Mario 64, the second for FPS and the third for 2D gameplay, which it had so little of, but it would have been the mode to use for a Street Fighter etc., it really did everything, just (like its competitors) not perfectly.
screenshot99mjvy.png
screenshot106zj53.png
screenshot11o5jz1.png

Of course back then you didn't have tons of settings to fine tune camera speed, acceleration etc., but the middle is basically the modern FP/TP control scheme, it works very well & is available in the vast majority of FPS on the system, even if, much like dual analog, it was new & weird back then.
I tried really hard to use the second way when I switched to 1.2 but just couldn't. It makes perfect sense with modern controls, but my brain won't allow me to hold it like that, or not use an inverted stick.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

So no. Not even close.

I have addressed this plenty of times in this thread:

Only the Japanese version features a vibration feedback function. The European and American versions of the controller do however include circuitry and mounts for a rumble motor, a possible leftover from the Japanese version of the controller, and therefore installing the motor is a simple process. Due to a lack of vibration-compatible games at the time, the European and American versions were not shipped with rumble feedback and, as a result, weigh significantly less than their overseas counterpart, and fall somewhere between the weights of the standard controller and the DualShock.

There was absolutely no reason for you to behave like an ass-hat. Especially since you are wrong. I could see how much of a troll and/or fanboy you were when you said the first game console to have CD-quality audio is not innovative. Kindly piss off.

If that's the case, MS and Nintendo outdid the Sony DualShock in return. Prior to the PS4, Sony's controllers sucked. The handles were so small they gave cramps if you didn't have baby hands, and the split d-pad was bad for 2d games.

The OG Xbox controller was too bulky for me, but I've loved every Microsoft controller since then. In fact, the PS5 controller is the first controller that's competed with the controllers for the 360 and onward for me. Microsoft controllers have some heft to them, and if you pick up a PS4 or prior controller you can really feel how light and cheap they feel. I'm not knocking Sony here as that's just a personal preference, but it seems you share my sentiment. I game on the PC now and I use the Xbox Series X controllers. Previously I used the Xbox One controllers. And before that I used the Xbox 360 controllers. Microsoft has it going on controller-wise.

Holy shit. You're still here. Trying to downplay all the innovation in the n64. Can't believe you're still posting these long ass posts months later because a lot of ppl think the n64 was more innovative. It was. Deal with it.

I'm not downplaying Nintendo's innovation. I have STILL not taken a side on who was more innovative. All I have done is corrected some very common misconceptions, and I stated that there is more to these two consoles than what you have addressed. People like you have such large boners for Nintendo that you can't stand to see Sony (or anyone else) being elevated to Nintendo stature (or beyond it). Again, I didn't say a word about Sony being better. I just said, "Here's some stuff Sony did. It's not necessarily an open-and-shut case." And that triggered you, which is ironic since you responded to that post with the triggered emoji. Get over yourself.

I have addressed this plenty of times in this thread:

There was absolutely no reason for you to behave like an ass-hat. Especially since you are wrong. I could see how much of a troll and/or fanboy you were when you said the first game console to have CD-quality audio is not innovative. Kindly piss off.

The OG Xbox controller was too bulky for me, but I've loved every Microsoft controller since then. In fact, the PS5 controller is the first controller that's competed with the controllers for the 360 and onward for me. Microsoft controllers have some heft to them, and if you pick up a PS4 or prior controller you can really feel how light and cheap they feel. I'm not knocking Sony here as that's just a personal preference, but it seems you share my sentiment. I game on the PC now and I use the Xbox Series X controllers. Previously I used the Xbox One controllers. And before that I used the Xbox 360 controllers. Microsoft has it going on controller-wise.

I'm not downplaying Nintendo's innovation. I have STILL not taken a side on who was more innovative. All I have done is corrected some very common misconceptions, and I stated that there is more to these two consoles than what you have addressed. People like you have such large boners for Nintendo that you can't stand to see Sony (or anyone else) being elevated to Nintendo stature (or beyond it). Again, I didn't say a word about Sony being better. I just said, "Here's some stuff Sony did. It's not necessarily an open-and-shut case." And that triggered you, which is ironic since you responded to that post with the triggered emoji. Get over yourself.
I already adressed i was wrong about that. Pay more attention. It launched at the same time of Rumble pack. So?
Thr only thing Psx did actually innovate was with the second shoulder buttons andt thats it.
The N64 already did two stick controls schemes with its C buttons like Turok. Wether the second stick was there or not is irrelevant the control method was 2 separate input methods one for Aiming and one for movement.
Lol at having cd audio being innovative.thats not a hill to die on lmao
The Psx hardware was ok for 1994/95 but the moment 3D videocards and N64 launched i became totally obsolete. a relic from a bygone era everyone wanted to forget aNd move on to greener pastures.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I already adressed i was wrong about that. Pay more attention. It launched at the same time of Rumble pack. So?
Thr only thing Psx did actually innovate was with the second shoulder buttons andt thats it.
The N64 already did two stick controls schemes with its C buttons like Turok. Wether the second stick was there or not is irrelevant the control method was 2 separate input methods one for Aiming and one for movement.
Lol at having cd audio being innovative.thats not a hill to die on lmao
The Psx hardware was ok for 1994/95 but the moment 3D videocards and N64 launched i became totally obsolete. a relic from a bygone era everyone wanted to forget aNd move on to greener pastures.

Are you an idiot, a troll, or is Nintendo's pecker so deep inside of you that you can't think straight? I'm seriously asking because I can't imagine any other reason for you to think that the first console to jump to CD-quality audio is not innovative. We had low-tier auto before, and then Sony gave us better audio. Why would that not be considered innovative? Do you play all video games on mute, or only play games using midi format? What an ignorant comment.

Additionally, you didn't admit you were wrong about the rumble in the PSX when I quoted your post saying:

That's what I had replied to you with proof that you were wrong. (Regarding Nintendo releasing Rumble first. Technically you were correct when you said the Dual Shock launched in November of 1997, but that wasn't relevant since I specifically stated the Dual Analog Controller, which is different, and you didn't read my post properly.) Don't tell me to pay attention when you're too stupid to read your own damn post.

And N64's incorporation of C-buttuns doesn't somehow mean that they had "two-stick control schemes". Four buttons is not the same as an analog stick. Analog stick provides greater precision and a wider range of movement. And an analog stick is actually an analog stick. Four buttons is simply four buttons. Almost everything in your response to me was ignorant and/or retarded. You need to jump off the Nintendo "D" because you sound like a lunatic.

Again, in no way did me correcting you mean that I'm saying Sony>Nintendo. All I did was provide information that you and others left out, and I corrected misinformation you were spewing (like the Rumble issue). You need to stop acting like Nintendo is the only company who innovated in the 90's. You are such a damn child.

Last edited:
Are you an idiot, a troll, or is Nintendo's pecker so deep inside of you that you can't think straight? I'm seriously asking because I can't imagine any other reason for you to think that the first console to jump to CD-quality audio is not innovative. We had low-tier auto before, and then Sony gave us better audio. Why would that not be considered innovative? Do you play all video games on mute, or only play games using midi format? What an ignorant comment.

Additionally, you didn't admit you were wrong about the rumble in the PSX when I quoted your post saying:

That's what I had replied to you with proof that you were wrong. (Regarding Nintendo releasing Rumble first. Technically you were correct when you said the Dual Shock launched in November of 1997, but that wasn't relevant since I specifically stated the Dual Analog Controller, which is different, and you didn't read my post properly.) Don't tell me to pay attention when you're too stupid to read your own damn post.

And N64's incorporation of C-buttuns doesn't somehow mean that they had "two-stick control schemes". Four buttons is not the same as an analog stick. Analog stick provides greater precision and a wider range of movement. And an analog stick is actually an analog stick. Four buttons is simply four buttons. Almost everything in your response to me was ignorant and/or retarded. You need to jump off the Nintendo "D" because you sound like a lunatic.

Again, in no way did me correcting you mean that I'm saying Sony>Nintendo. All I did was provide information that you and others left out, and I corrected misinformation you were spewing (like the Rumble issue). You need to stop acting like Nintendo is the only company who innovated in the 90's. You are such a damn child.
Lol audio as being innovative what kind of rabid blind fanboy you have to be to use that as a point...when the console can even do proper 3D "but but but cd audio"

The N64 C buttons were designed for 3D camera controls which is the same purpose a second stick is used for. N64 pioneered that gameplay concept its a FACT. That the physical tools for such concept were improved upon later is irrelevant.

I admitted i was wrong when it was pointed out to me a couple of post later. Pay more attention youre too enraged because all your points are being destroyed in this thread. You need to calm down .

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
N64. Especially since PlayStation ended up copying the analog and rumble features. But I still prefer PS1. More innovative doesn't always mean a better experience.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The PS1 always felt like it wasn't designed for 3D, 3D was so taxing on it the only way devs could get it to work was to have the geometry be unstable and moving about. It felt like a hack.

Nintendo copied the analog features of the controller but they brought the rumble for sure.
Nintendo did not copy anything and technically the N64 stick was digital not analogue. It worked like a traditional PC-mouse with a small ball where the stick was bolt in.
Nintendo and Sony both brought the Rumble feature to the market in April 1997 at the same time.

The PS1 always felt like it wasn't designed for 3D, 3D was so taxing on it the only way devs could get it to work was to have the geometry be unstable and moving about. It felt like a hack.
The psx was exclusively a 3D machine it had no 2D hardware. It just that 3D in 1994 for under 400 dollars had to have compromises made. Having a FPU and a Z buffer and support for AA, trilinear mipmapping etc... wouldve cost thousands of dollars.

Top Bottom