• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 1st Quarter Results FY3/2018: Arms 1.18M, Mario Kart 3.54M, Zelda 3.92M

Kid Icarus was a lesser game than people were hoping for (which is to say the demands to bring back the franchise were often under the assumption that it would stand toe-to-toe with Zelda once it was revived)...

Say what now? Who the balls was underwhelmed by the gameplay and content in Uprising? This sir, is nonsense.

Say what now? Who the balls was underwhelmed by the gameplay and content in Uprising?

Go back to any thread before Uprising was actually announced and shown off and you'll see that many people clamoring for the series' return were under the assumption it could become an adventure series on par with Zelda. If you feel that's what Uprising established (not just personally, but overall) then ok, I'll concede the point.

dano1 said:
It's definitely not the same high-fidelity game that EA will release this September on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One.

This is all I'm saying about a console that just came out.
Nintendo was always at least comparable or better at graphics back in the day!

We're getting kinda off-topic here, but you have a 3ds and Wii U so you must already be aware that Nintendo systems don't always push bleeding edge tech or anything like that. That said, your argument is weird because this time around Nintendo actually is pushing their system when you consider it weighs 10% of what a PS4 or XB1 does. The Switch is probably their most tech-intensive system ever.

dano1

A Sheep
Nekketsu Kõha;244868059 said:
Now you make we want a new Mario Strikers.

EA just made FIFA for Switch because they have to in accordance with their license agreements?

I will probably buy a switch just for Mario.

I just don't like there systems lately

I will probably buy a switch just for Mario.

I just don't like there systems lately

I ended up hating the Gameqube, Wii and Wii U shortly after getting each. Sold them quickly and moved on. The Switch I think I will end up loving but with that said I got it as a portable handheld, didn't bother unpacking the dock. Last system of theirs that I was actually happy with was the DS lite so I am not gonna argue Nintendo last 10-20 years.

As a portable handheld it is the most powerful system that exist with seemingly best experiences possible on the go and I have been playing a lot of mobile and portable. Also if someone told me a big publishers games would go away tomorrow or I would never be able to play their games again and I had to chose, EA would be my first choice without even thinking.

OCD Guy

This is all I'm saying about a console that just came out.
Nintendo was always at least comparable or better at graphics back in the day!

Those days are long gone now though. We've had 3 generations of consoles (including the Switch) and all have been underpowered in comparison to other consoles.

It sounds silly but I've never even used the dock for the switch, I'd rather have it as a powerful handheld than an underpowered console connected to the tv.

Take Fifa which you mentioned, why would I play the switch version on a tv when I have a PC and consoles? I'd be paying the same amount for worse graphics, and less features.

But as a portable version? It'll be amazing. Some people say the Switch is barely more powerful than a PS3, but I'm delighted to have that much power in a portable device.

Ultimately I agree with your point. All I want is a powerful Nintendo console with no gimmicks. Breath of the Wild is great, but I can't help but wonder what the game would have been like on more powerful hardware....

With regards to sales though I think the Switch is going to do really well. Massively different feeling towards the console compared to the Wii U.

With Switch, Nintendo finally found a reason/justification to be a generation behind graphically.

It's their smartest move in over a decade.

dano1

A Sheep
Nekketsu Kõha;244868587 said:
I ended up hating the Gameqube, Wii and Wii U shortly after getting each. Sold them quickly and moved on. The Switch I think I will end up loving but with that said I got it as a portable handheld, didn't bother unpacking the dock. Last system of theirs that I was actually happy with was the DS lite so I am not gonna argue Nintendo last 10-20 years.

As a portable handheld it is the most powerful system that exist with seemingly best experiences possible on the go and I have been playing a lot of mobile and portable. Also if someone told me a big publishers games would go away tomorrow or I would never be able to play their games again and I had to chose, EA would be my first choice without even thinking.

As a portable it is the best system of all time. Unfortunately I just want something to connect to my 4K HDR Tv. I'm 50. Portable days are over:)

As a portable it is the best system of all time. Unfortunately I just want something to connect to my 4K HDR Tv. I'm 50. Portable days are over:)

Less than 20% of people own a 4k tv right now, and it's projected that we won't be over 50% until 2021 (and that's in the US, I believe Europe is even lower). I think it makes sense that Nintendo didn't prioritize 4k right now, the vast majority of consumers literally wouldn't see the difference.

dano1

A Sheep
Go back to any thread before Uprising was actually announced and shown off and you'll see that many people clamoring for the series' return were under the assumption it could become an adventure series on par with Zelda. If you feel that's what Uprising established (not just personally, but overall) then ok, I'll concede the point.

We're getting kinda off-topic here, but you have a 3ds and Wii U so you must already be aware that Nintendo systems don't always push bleeding edge tech or anything like that. That said, your argument is weird because this time around Nintendo actually is pushing their system when you consider it weighs 10% of what a PS4 or XB1 does. The Switch is probably their most tech-intensive system ever.

But the WiiU finally brought HD visuals! The switch barely ups the ante. And I don't care about the $. Just wanted next level Nintendo.

OCD Guy

And one that can't be easily replicated by their competitors. Sony and MS will never give up on high powered stationary boxes for fear of the other getting ahead in the space.

I would love if one of them dipped their feet in the handheld water though, but a device that had access to the same library.

To be honest I think that is where gaming is heading anyway, multiple devices to access the same games a la pc.

I think the Vita proved that having a seperate library wasn't really key to any sort of success. But having a Playstation portable that could play games you already own digitally? Maybe that might be a success, or maybe it would be a big flop. I'd certainly buy a device like that...

I just find playing on portables really engaging for some reason.

You are right on every level. But they killed My WiiU.
And I would have been happy playing those games on my 4K tv.

Nintendo didn't kill it. The consumers killed it. The majority didn't care about the Wii U, infact they didn't even know what it was....

dano1

A Sheep
Less than 20% of people own a 4k tv right now, and it's projected that we won't be over 50% until 2021 (and that's in the US, I believe Europe is even lower). I think it makes sense that Nintendo didn't prioritize 4k right now, the vast majority of consumers literally wouldn't see the difference.

You are right on every level. But they killed My WiiU.
And I would have been happy playing those games on my 4K tv.

I would love if one of them dipped their feet in the handheld water though, but a device that had access to the same library.

To be honest I think that is where gaming is heading anyway, multiple devices to access the same games a la pc.

I think the Vita proved that having a seperate library wasn't really key to any sort of success. But having a Playstation portable that could play games you already own digitally? Maybe that might be a success, or maybe it would be a big flop. I'd certainly buy a device like that...

I just find playing on portables really engaging for some reason.

Nintendo didn't kill it. The consumers killed it. The majority didn't care about the Wii U, infact they didn't even know what it was....

Mobile gaming is getting better each year and the market surpasses that of consoles. In a few years Google, Apple, Samsung and probably Amazon as well will offer more than enough options/competition.

Nekketsu Kõha;244869724 said:
Mobile gaming is getting better each year and the market surpasses that of consoles. In a few years Google, Apple, Samsung and probably Amazon as well will offer more than enough options/competition.
Hmm...the mobile market is still significantly below consoles and handhelds when it comes to how well games can control, their overall length, presentation, etc. The market is improving of course but I don't see it being an adequate alternative for quite sometime

OCD Guy

Nekketsu Kõha;244869724 said:

Yeah I think you're right. We're reaching a point (or we've reached rather) where many people consume media/games on mobile devices. I'm sure there was stats/research done that Netflix was mainly accessed from Laptops/Tablets/Phones etc than tvs.

The tv for me nowadays is more just background noise the majority of the time. I'm either on the phone, pc or switch.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's why Nintendo went the route they did. The switch is great because it gives a shit load of options, and that's what many people like.

If the Switch continues selling as it is, It wouldn't surprise me if Sony try something similar with the PS5. Perhaps not quite the same, i.e tablet with the hardware inside, but at the very least have a device that allows you to play the same game anywhere you want.

FIFA is a bit of an odd issue for me.
It being the legacy engine blows, but I can't imagine the devs getting Frostbite running on a brand new system with the limited time they had to get things together. I imagine the game hasn't even been in development for a year yet.

If Fifa 18 sells a worthwhile number of units I can see them porting over frostbite in some capacity. I'm sure I read that one of the good points was how flexible the engine was and how it scaled well to different hardware.

I think the reason they've used the "custom" ignite engine is a combination of things, obviously limited development time like you say, but also based on previous history on Nintendo consoles they felt (quite rightly) that spending more time and money on trying to port Frostbite over might not have reaped any rewards.

Ultimate team on the go is going to be a big draw in my opinion. I prefer PES to be honest, but I'd bet my life on it that if Fifa does well Konami will bring it over next year.

Magwik

Banned
FIFA is a bit of an odd issue for me.
It being the legacy engine blows, but I can't imagine the devs getting Frostbite running on a brand new system with the limited time they had to get things together. I imagine the game hasn't even been in development for a year yet.

Mory Dunz

FIFA really seems like it has the best chance to sell out of NBA, Skyrim, and FIFA.
So no doubt it'll put up decent numbers.

The only question imo is how well? How well does FIFA sell to begin with. 10-15m? 20?

So how much of that would be deemed a success I wonder.

NSESN

FIFA really seems like it has the best chance to sell out of NBA, Skyrim, and FIFA.

The only question imo is how well? How well does FIFA sell to begin with. 10-15m? 20?

1 million WW would be good imo. The problem is that I don't know if EA would think the same.

Hmm...the mobile market is still significantly below consoles and handhelds when it comes to how well games can control, their overall length, presentation, etc. The market is improving of course but I don't see it being an adequate alternative for quite sometime

Buy a great Steelseries controller for either iOS or Android and you can enjoy ftl, xcom, binding of Isaac, Minecraft, gta, vainglory and many more games that play great.

I do agree with you it will be awhile, years but I am sure it will happen and when it does neither Microsoft or Sony will be able to compete in that space only Nintendo does.

OCD Guy

If ******** is accurate (the site's banned it appears so maybe not accurate lol) at all then Fifa 17 has sold 11million up to June 2017 on PS4 and just under 4 million on the Xbox one.

If they managed to sell 2 million on the Switch I think they'd be over the moon. edit: Thinking about it, could they even sell that many copies?! Most Fifa sales tend to be Europe.

They sold just under 500,000 copies on Wii U.

Snakeyes

hm, I didn't want to say any numbers, but yeah, I wonder if 1m is enough.
A good benchmark would be the sales of FIFA 14 and 15 on PS4 and XB1.

FIFA 14 sold around 3 M on PS4 and 1 M on XB1.
FIFA 15 sold around 6 M on PS4 and 2 M on XB1.

I'd say 1 M should be considered a success and anything approaching 2 M a huge success considering the Switch version is not full-featured and the FIFA franchise had almost zero association with Nintendo platforms for almost half a decade. Expecting anything more than that is unrealistic.

Mory Dunz

If ******** is accurate (the site's banned it appears so maybe not accurate lol) at all then Fifa 17 has sold 11million up to June 2017 on PS4 and just under 4 million on the Xbox one.

If they managed to sell 2 million on the Switch I think they'd be over the moon. edit: Thinking about it, could they even sell that many copies?! Most Fifa sales tend to be Europe.

They sold just under 500,000 copies on Wii U.

I'm gonna gonna trust that site.

So I'll look for a press release or something.

EA: ‘FIFA 17 was the best-selling console title in the world in 2016'

hm, still no numbers. But if's number one in the world, it beat out CoD, Battlefields, And Battlefronts.
And don't CoDs pull near 20m?

In any case I do think 2m would be good. Not sure about 1m though.

edit:
are those numbers USA only? ^^

OCD Guy

A good benchmark would be the sales of FIFA 14 and 15 on PS4 and XB1.

FIFA 14 sold around 3 M on PS4 and 1 M on XB1.
FIFA 15 sold around 6 M on PS4 and 2 M on XB1.

I'd say 1 M should be considered a success and anything approaching 2 M a huge success considering the Switch version is not full-featured and the FIFA franchise had almost zero association with Nintendo platforms for almost half a decade. Expecting anything more than that is unrealistic.

1 Million would definitely make EA pay attention given how small the install base for the Switch is too at this point in time.

I can see it doing very well to be honest. But time will tell.

I want all third party games to do well from the big Publihsers so it gives them some incentive to consider future releases.

I never pay too much attention during the first year. Afterall the Wii actually had some big AAA games, Fifa, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed etc but then look what happened....

Nintendo might have showed a fancy slide that detailed more developers (the likes of Fromsoftware etc) but so far the third party support (aside from indies) has been worse than Wii U lol.

I
edit:
are those numbers USA only? ^^

The numbers I quoted were worldwide sales.

The breakdown according to that site is:

North America: 1.20m
Europe: 8.07m
Japan: 0.12m
Rest of the World: 1.62m
= Global 11.00

Mory Dunz

I was talking to Snakeeyes in the eidt.

I don't need to be an insider to know 1.2 million in North America is astronomically low and wrong.

Javier

I think FIFA on Switch will do good enough for EA to justify porting future entries of the series, and maybe some other series like Madden.

I'm buying both 2k games on Switch if they are good enough. The portability factors too much for me.

Reki

You are projecting your preferences onto HW sales numbers (the 20m you estimated) which is at least pretty unreliable.

About Fifa... for it to reach 1m sales it would need to be heavily marketed, and I'm not so sure they'll invest that much promoting it. By the end of September (when the game releases) the Switch could be at around 7-7.5m shipped. With that install base (1/9 of PS4 numbers, more or less) I think 600-700k could be considered a succes (again, suposing limited marketing efforts), even though EA will expect some crazy numbers like 1.5-2m.

jdstorm

Banned
The Switch's best marketing gimic is seeing people play it in public. Once Football player (Soccer players) start sharing themselves playing it on social media and people start seeing members of the general public start playing it on public transport or at school, FIFA Switch will likely take off in a big way (Although actual marketing would surely speed up the process)

Oersted

The Switch's best marketing gimic is seeing people play it in public. Once Football player (Soccer players) start sharing themselves playing it on social media and people start seeing members of the general public start playing it on public transport or at school, FIFA Switch will likely take off in a big way (Although actual marketing would surely speed up the process)

Saw the first one yesterday in the wild. A 8 year old playing Mario Kart. Also...

fc_barcelona_nintendo_switch.jpg

http://www.pulzo.com/tecnologia/jugadores-madrid-juegan-nintendo-switch/PP280453

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If that Street Fighter port can sell half a million at the price it was then FIFA will sell over a million over time easily maybe more.

Non enthusiasts / casuals couldn't give a fuck what engine it runs on lol.

Top Bottom