• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory Announces Project: Mara

SleepDoctor

Banned
Honestly not interested at all but will keep an eye on it. Its great to see the effort on so many new projects regardless.

MS getting scolded for their 2013 fuck up is always going to be good to serve them some humble pie.

I expect them to come out swinging hard next gen. (Although a bit delayed on schedule).

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You know we're only 22 days in, right? Better buckle up.

Well, I do struggle with mental illness, and the game didn't really do shit for me. Now what? I suppose I should thank you for getting mad at me on my behalf, lol.
Wait, what??? You struggle with mental illness and you can't appreciate what they're doing???

That's............ interesting.

And I ain't mad you broski! Your ignorance. Your problem.

Have you ever thought of it as its aimed for the people that don't have mental issues? Hellblade sure taught me that if I'm not dealing with something it doesn't mean that "its ok"
That was my point. By making games about mental illness, they ended up making games that can be really unattractive for people suffering from it. They're trying to help them, but excluding them at the same time.

I'm not even saying that's a bad thing. They can do whatever they want. It's just ironic.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Damn, buying Ninja Theory was pure genius. I expect they will be one of the very top studios in the coming gen. Can't wait to see & play their next games, well except Bleeding Edge :messenger_grinning:
Bleeding Edge may well end up being a banger. GP will certainly give it its due, if even by accident. But NT gonna be a monster next gen. I can feel it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Graphics are not the same as gameplay - you do realise that was exactly my original point.

Given most MS fanboys mock Sony’s ‘Walking simulators’ what exactly does this title look to be?
Yep, Gears 5 has walking sections and it's my favorite Gears since Gears of War 2

Whitecrow

Banned
Not interested in feeling terror honestly.

Cant they make us feel something that are not mental ilnesses? I dont like the path they are going into.

Mega Man

They sure love making games about mental illness. The funny thing is, I can't imagine anyone who is actually suffering from these conditions wanting to play these games. Sucks enough having to deal with this shit in real life, why have it in your games as well?
Allows others a small sample into what they're going through maybe...

Dory16

Banned
I love the news but think they could have saved it for E3. Anyway, still hoping for a gameplay trailer of either that or HB2 oat the MS conference

Journey

Banned

OMG, 1:15 reminds me of the Dead or Alive 3 CG intro.... Wait.... Team Ninja.... Ninja Theory.... ocean trailer.... creepy AF that trailer.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Graphics are not the same as gameplay - you do realise that was exactly my original point.

Given most MS fanboys mock Sony’s ‘Walking simulators’ what exactly does this title look to be?

This is the year 2020. Good graphics assumed, good gameplay expected. The only Switch title worthy of being on other platforms from a visual standpoint is Fast RMX. Those dudes can code 1990s demo scene style.

The term "walking simulator" is getting seriously abused in its usage. I have a Switch, PS4 Pro and XBX but unlike Nintendo fanboys, I can at least honestly point out the flaws in each platform.

If I were to name the consoles, they would be the Nintendo Rehash, Sony 3rdPersonStation and Microsoft X 3rd Party Box.

The only titles I would consider walking simulators are the first person survival games on the PC platform that are typically still in early access.

Last edited:

sendit

You know we're only 22 days in, right? Better buckle up.

Well, I do struggle with mental illness, and the game didn't really do shit for me. Now what? I suppose I should thank you for getting mad at me on my behalf, lol.

Agreed. Did you post this on Twitter as well?

This has to be the most out of touch, irresponsible and plain ignorant post I've read in 2020. Like, how daft do you have to be not to understand what something like this can achieve? Never mind all they accomplished with Hellblade I for people who suffer with mental illness. Games like these gives those who suffer with mental illness a voice while helping them overcome their fears.

I don't struggle with mental illness and even I saw how they tackled the subject and how profound an effect it can have on a person. Step out of your bubble. Have some compassion for those with said issues. Regardless if you understand it or not, it affects you and your life as well. Jesus....

It's more likely that people with mental health issues are helped by unrelated video games like Dark Souls or whatever occupies their mind in an engaging way during difficult times, rather than the overt trendy "LOOK AT US WE ARE DEEP DIVING INTO MENTAL ILLNESS WITH OUR GAME, AWARDS PLEASE!!"

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Ok .. I love the teaser but what with this kind of mind fuck mentality , NT seems never left the concept of HB ! .. even this teaser has the same girl with that facial expression .. damn I'm scared

Tarkus98

I’ve always liked Ninja Theory. Now I get to see what they can produce with the proper funding.
I am very excited at what I’m seeing so far and happy for them to see their visions coming to reality.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So these types of games are now good huh? Interesting how things change, when companies change teams.

CamHostage

What path exactly? Having one game about mental issues among their line-up?
You mean two...

Possibly three, actually. Hellblade will continue those themes, Project Mara will be dedicated to it, and the "The Insight Project", which sounds like a series of projects and is described as a "moonshot" by the studio. It's not clear if Project Mara is part of The Insight Project, but they describe the two in different breaths and their website theinsightproject.com doesn't make any mention of Mara. [EDIT: Insight and Mara are indeed two different projects.]

...But whatever, so a studio makes three games about something it wants to make games about. Not every game is for everybody anymore. Back in the day, everybody played Blades of Steel and Cool Spot and Sonic and Mario Kart and Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy because games were games and you just played whatever games you got for your birthday... now, there's an abundance of choice out there. Play all the games about mental illness you want. Never play any games about mental illness if you want. Play as much or as little of a genre as you wish.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
Xbox fans love this kind of games, I remember how they seemed to love the Death Stranding concept and were hyped as fuck for stuff like Until Dawn and David Cage games.

So happy for them.

BitDust

It looks incredible. After playing and finishing the first Hellbade, Ninja Theory became one of my favorite devs. I think that's all in engine, DF will probably give a deep look at that teaser. XBOX series X looks like a real monster, I can't wait this E3 to see what's coming on that machine.

Reallink

Everything in the stand alone ~40second teaser is "real time/in-engine", the office, the stairs, the monitors, everything. Read the text. They took the MGSV team real Vs. team CGI fanfiction shit and made it a reality. Simply incredible.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it was in engine until I saw the shadowy figure in the reflection in the hallway. Holy crap next gen is going to be mind blowing.

Bit early to tell if this will be my type of game, but Damm, for a studio as small as NT, to be working on two high profile games at the same time is quite the effort.

nikolino840

Everything in the stand alone ~40second teaser is "real time/in-engine", the office, the stairs, the monitors, everything. Read the text. They took the MGSV team real Vs. team CGI fanfiction shit and made it a reality. Simply incredible.
Well it's Easy to make a photographic ambient,we have all already see something like that,Need Just time and Money to produce,but Is Just ambient and One character,like layers of fear

Dory16

Banned
So these types of games are now good huh? Interesting how things change, when companies change teams.
When was this type of game not good? When Hellblade came out it PT or Silent Hill? Because they are all critically acclaimed. You can’t wish contradictions where they don’t exist.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can’t anyone just make a game with gameplay anymore?

Thank god for Nintendo.
If Hellblade 1 is a good benchmark, Project Mara will be about 3% fighting, 17% walking around by yourself in caverns and doing focus puzzles, and 80% unskippable cut scenes.

I think in the first hour of Hellblade there was literally about 10 minutes of fights and exploring.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Xbox fans love this kind of games, I remember how they seemed to love the Death Stranding concept and were hyped as fuck for stuff like Until Dawn and David Cage games.

So happy for them.
There are many Xbox fans who would embrace death stranding if it was multiplat I’m sure. Personally I have a pro but I passed. I’ll revisit when it’s a PlayStation classic. I fall asleep during long cutscenes.

Neolombax

I generally try to stay away from these types of games, but I like to read/see other people's reaction to it. This is interesting.

Kazza

A new, next-gen sequel of that game would be amazing! Although it didn't sell very well at launch, I feel that it's a game that got a lot more appreciation in the years after release and has a good chance of doing well now.

s2-c5e9b414fd43a81842692da09938a394.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom