• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection Announced

Whjat is wrong with the Sigma versions? They had more content. Sure there was some less gore in ngs2 but it had dismemberment and it added characters and other modes. I had both on ps3 and vita. Good games. Don't know why people here are bashing them. From what i heard the xbox games had cheap camera and worse difficulty spikes.

How so? What were the superior versions?
Annoying how no one will answer this. I wondering if its just this forum seems to be loaded with old 360 people who never had a ps3 and played the superior sigma versions. You know the ones that added characters, new modes, better graphics. Sure sigma 2 didn't have as much blood, but it had dismemberment and it was still a blast to play.

Max_Po

Banned
Whjat is wrong with the Sigma versions? They had more content. Sure there was some less gore in ngs2 but it had dismemberment and it added characters and other modes. I had both on ps3 and vita. Good games. Don't know why people here are bashing them. From what i heard the xbox games had cheap camera and worse difficulty spikes.

They just like to shit on them because jellys didn't get Sigma on xbox360.

NG2 is far inferior game to the awesome NG Black.

Sigmas just made the dead enemies disappear after death...which hurt the feelings of virgins who feel vindicated by looking at carnage they have caused.....

I will dip at 50% or more discount.....I already have the superior NGB on Ser.X

Ezquimacore

Banned
The xbox version have more puzzles, and is the original vision of itagaki. Sigma 2 is a censored mess compared to the original. Sigma versions add some content but delete some key content of the originals. still great games but if you play the originals first then you'll understand.

Ezquimacore

Banned

Sigmas just made the dead enemies disappear after death...which hurt the feelings of virgins who feel vindicated by looking at carnage they have caused.....

Lol what? Why would xbox fan cry when they can buy the original versions which are better? And now they have every version thanks to this collection.

I think this is more of a case where people want something like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Street-Fighter-Anniversary-Review-Shot-(36).jpg

sf30-game-menu.jpg

...but for Ninja Gaiden/DoA games. Imagine these types of menus:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

This way you please all fans.
I can't say I am against that, but if they did that it better damn well have a physical release. One thing that kinda is annoying , no physical copy on switch (not sure about the other systems).

I can't say I am against that, but if they did that it better damn well have a physical release. One thing that kinda is annoying , no physical copy on switch (not sure about the other systems).
I think the XBOX and PS4 versions are digital only as well if I heard correctly, but…..

It seems like Play Asia will have a physical release for the PS4 & Switch Asia region though with English language support.

ssringo

The PC ports manage to be even lazier than normal for KT. Hard to justify $45 for old games and basically zero effort in the port.

Killer8

More content does not mean better. The extra content in both Sigma games are shitty sections playing as Rachel, Momiji and Ayane. More often than not they kill the pacing and you want to get back to playing as Ryu asap. The giant boss battles in Sigma 2 also feel like they were rejected from a God of War game.

With regards to NG2 vs Sigma 2, the gore is a huge part of Ninja Gaiden II's identity and you can't just gloss over it with ethereal magic nonsense. It's like listening to a metal song with bleeped swearing, or playing Doom but every time you rip and tear the camera looks away. A completely pussified experience made by and for puritans. But there is not only less gore - many enemy encounters are completely stripped from Sigma 2. Look how quiet this Sigma 2 level is:

Compared to the original NG2:

And then on top of that, the encounters still in the game have reduced enemy counts. The legendary, framerate-killing* staircase battle (*which runs at 60fps on Series X now) is a shadow of its former self in Sigma 2. What did Team Ninja under Hayashi do to balance out the lack of enemies? Increased their health and reduced how often you delimb them. Ninja Gaiden 2 had unbelievable fights with 15 ninjas, a tornado of limbs and blood flying like something out of Kill Bill, and they still try to aggressively murder you even with legs and arms missing. In Sigma 2 we got protracted fights against just 6 or 7 at a time, less limbs flying and less amputees trying to jump you, and who take a boringly longer time to kill.

Sigma 2 is almost an art form in how to fuck up an exciting combat system.

Last edited:

SpokkX

How is NG3?

I never play that but I loved NG Black and NG2 (i though Sigma versions were "fine" - but clearly worse, yes)

Would really like to try NG3 though - but is it THAT bad? What specifically is bad then??

Ezquimacore

Banned
How is NG3?

I never play that but I loved NG Black and NG2 (i though Sigma versions were "fine" - but clearly worse, yes)

Would really like to try NG3 though - but is it THAT bad? What specifically is bad then??
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge is not as good as the first two, the main flaws are no exploration and almost every room is a ring to fight 20 enemies and move to the next room and do the same. "flaw" because the first two ninja gaiden had that hint of "adventure" and 3 is just a pure hack n slash, so judging the game as a pure hack n slash it's actually pretty good.

SALMORE

i preordered the asian PS4 version from PlayAsia looking forward to replaying & hopefull getting the platinum in the original 😁 plus i never tried the extra stuff from the Vita port 👍

Started playing NG1 on Switch. Looks and runs pretty nicely in handheld mode. I haven't played NG1 in about 10 years but it's crazy how much I remember - I played the shit out of this game on the OG Xbox

How is NG3?

Pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one, but I actually like NG3 quite a bit. It's more straightforward in terms of level design and there's a couple annoying boss fights, but the pace the game is pretty blistering.

SafeOrAlone

Banned

Have you been spanked yet? I don't want to overdo it, if so, but this is 100% wrong.

Some reviews are saying a day 1 patch uncensors Sigma 2. I'll see in 2 hours if true.
Update on my previous post here. NintendoLife, and I think it was called Switch Up, were full of it. There was censorship change part of the patch, but it was because Koei Tecmo forgot to enable human decapitations on Sigma 1 and 2 (3 was fine though) for the non Japanese versions, so the patch enabled them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Aldynes

The truth in all of this : I'm happy that this compilation will bring this legendary franchise to new fans and revive the series, I'm sad that for the OG fans we only got this after waiting years and years.

Of course i would have gladly preferred they also include Black / NG2 in this package, but hey at least we got killer backward compatibility on series X to enjoy theses gems, the important point is to let new players discover the games and hoping we got a sequel in the near future.

I bought a PS3 just for Sigma and imported the US version of the game just to have the gore of seing head sliced off and rolling on the floor that was censored in both EU/JAP version of the game, so yeah... I'm pretty elitist with Ninja Gaiden.

It's like the new Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Shodown, hell yeah i'm pissed off that we got close to zero customisation options even with the DLC, the lack of rollback netcode is infuriating, where are the solo modes ? Quest / Kumite ? It's cool we got a graphical overhaul and never before I have hoped VF would come back again, time passes and the more I wait, the more I want in return from one of my two favorites franchises, that being said I'm glad that new players try the game, hoping for more down the line, and in the end it's all that matter.

How many other games are just dead and will never have a second chance? Bloody roar, Syphon Filter, Splinter Cell, Socom, Burnout, Driveclub...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Can anyone remind me where I can get kusarigama, tonfas, and vigoorian flails in Ninja Gaiden sigma 2 and 3?

These are my favorite weapons of the game

Last edited:
More content does not mean better. The extra content in both Sigma games are shitty sections playing as Rachel, Momiji and Ayane. More often than not they kill the pacing and you want to get back to playing as Ryu asap. The giant boss battles in Sigma 2 also feel like they were rejected from a God of War game.

With regards to NG2 vs Sigma 2, the gore is a huge part of Ninja Gaiden II's identity and you can't just gloss over it with ethereal magic nonsense. It's like listening to a metal song with bleeped swearing, or playing Doom but every time you rip and tear the camera looks away. A completely pussified experience made by and for puritans. But there is not only less gore - many enemy encounters are completely stripped from Sigma 2. Look how quiet this Sigma 2 level is:

Compared to the original NG2:

And then on top of that, the encounters still in the game have reduced enemy counts. The legendary, framerate-killing* staircase battle (*which runs at 60fps on Series X now) is a shadow of its former self in Sigma 2. What did Team Ninja under Hayashi do to balance out the lack of enemies? Increased their health and reduced how often you delimb them. Ninja Gaiden 2 had unbelievable fights with 15 ninjas, a tornado of limbs and blood flying like something out of Kill Bill, and they still try to aggressively murder you even with legs and arms missing. In Sigma 2 we got protracted fights against just 6 or 7 at a time, less limbs flying and less amputees trying to jump you, and who take a boringly longer time to kill.

Sigma 2 is almost an art form in how to fuck up an exciting combat system.

As someone who never owned an xbox console and never played the original ng/ng2, going from Sigma 1 to Simga 2 felt like a progression in gameplay. I think it all has to do with perspective. Did i miss some of the gore from sigma 1, sure but it wasn't like it was completely eliminated. There was still stains, and marks on bodies, still decapitaions and delimbing as well as torso enemies crawling after you. The carnage still showed it just disappeared after 10 seconds or so.

My memories from Sigma 2 also stem from the vita release (as i double dipped on both games for that, and played that last). It added a lot of the gore back in. I also loved the added modes.
I thought the extra characters were great. Who doesn't love some sexy ninja, Ayane and bad ass dominatrix style Rachael , spear weilding Mumogji (well I guess the anti beauty people at "reeee" would hate them) , but i loved the variety and fan service. Plus outside of the game , the advert for "boob physics, was funny awesome.

Maybe if i played the other two first, or at all I would have a different opinion, but having never played them i loved both sigma games. Never played ng3 as i heard it was crap, Looking forward to playing that now.
I think people just getting into NG games will have a great time. I know i did back on the ps3 in 2008.

Also, From what I have read, the reason sigma 2 didn't have the blood spurts and purple mist instead , along with some enemy adjustment was due to the engine, not really censorship. Apparently it was based on Sigma 1 engine, instead of doing a port of ng2 engine to ps3. They upped the resolution and character textures but had to cut down and adjust some things.

Top Bottom