• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection Announced

sn0man

Ninja Gaiden 1 is totally still worth playing here, despite having some pacing issues in this version.
Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma if you're curious, but it's a much lesser version of the original release.
What if I still have an Xbox and an Xbox 360 in a closet somewhere? Is it worth to play the original B and 2 on those systems instead of the S S2 on a PC? This would be a first time ever for any of the series for me.

What if I still have an Xbox and an Xbox 360 in a closet somewhere? Is it worth to play the original B and 2 on those systems instead of the S S2 on a PC? This would be a first time ever for any of the series for me.
100% worth it to play the originals. Just be aware 2 has the most legendary frame drop of all time that's so intense it feels like you're in the matrix, and changes from being awful to be awesome.

SkylineRKR

Ofcourse, a One X or Series is the best. Though a One is also good.

But they're fundementally better versions. NG Black runs really good on 360, NG2 might look a bit rough nowadays but I would play that one rather than Sigma 2 on PC. Because I simply found Sigma 2 boring to play. I was over the moon when it was announced for PS3 until I experienced it.

sn0man

Ofcourse, a One X or Series is the best. Though a One is also good.

But they're fundementally better versions. NG Black runs really good on 360, NG2 might look a bit rough nowadays but I would play that one rather than Sigma 2 on PC. Because I simply found Sigma 2 boring to play. I was over the moon when it was announced for PS3 until I experienced it.
Sorry miscommunication. I only have an OG Xbox. Not an Xbox one. I also have a 360.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I guess at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with Ninja Gaiden 1.
If you are new to this series just play whatever version is accessible.

SkylineRKR

Sorry miscommunication. I only have an OG Xbox. Not an Xbox one. I also have a 360.

No it was clear. I meant those 3 would be the best options to play these games, but if you don't then I would still go 360 rather than Sigma 2.

Sigma 1 however, isn't that bad. Still, Black is better.

Kimahri

Banned
It really could be okay if they offer an unlocked frame rate at 4K it might basically be ready for 60fps on PS5. They better also include a 1440/1080 with 60fps if that’s the plan though or the PS4 audience would suffer from 4K and an unstable frame rate.

I’d argue for maximum impact on PS4/5 and preservation capability that should be the norm. Make one disc that has settings in the menus to tailor for each
If last gen games could be 4k/60 why on earth would you need a ps5 to run these?

Just make dynamic res and fps options and problem solved.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm hoping they include the extra challenge missions that came with collectors edition of Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

I don't believe there was any permanently locked content behind the collector's edition. Every mission would eventually unlock by just playing the game.

What they might not include are the DLC missions they released, which is fine because they were terrible.

johntown

Banned
I don't believe there was any permanently locked content behind the collector's edition. Every mission would eventually unlock by just playing the game.

What they might not include are the DLC missions they released, which is fine because they were terrible.
These are what I am talking about. Weapon Mastery/Survival Challenges. There was one for each weapon.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
These are what I am talking about. Weapon Mastery/Survival Challenges. There was one for each weapon.

Yeah this wasn't a collector's edition thing, it was new DLC that sold separately.

I remember it being really bizarre DLC. But sure it'd be cool to include it for those curious.

fersnake

played the first one on og xbox and it was so good but this coming to ng consoles and pc? fck yeah im gonna get it.

johntown

Banned
Yeah this wasn't a collector's edition thing, it was new DLC that sold separately.

I remember it being really bizarre DLC. But sure it'd be cool to include it for those curious.
??? I had the collectors edition and it came with it. Not sure what you may be thinking. Maybe it was sold to non collectors editions later but it 100% was included in the collectors edition for PS3.
Anyway I thought it was a great challenge and I hope they include it.

Larsowitz

Originally thought it would be the original NES games. After seeing it was the 3d games, was still excited until I saw Sigma. Pass.

NGS2 vs. NG2 on Master Ninja mode.

Ninja Gaiden Black is already enhanced via BC on Xbox One/S (1080P) and Xbox One X (4k) both at 60fps.
NG2 runs at the same resolution 1120 x 585 on the original Xbox One/S, but can stay close to 60fps. The One X increases the resolution to 3360 x 1755 and runs at a solid 60fps.

Those are last gen. systems not the newer Series S/X.

I guess if you don’t have an Xbox then the Sigma versions might be okay.

I assume MS has the publishing rights for both NGB and NGII. Without MS’ consent Tecmo cannot re-release these games.

Edit: this is a really good comparison btw. Chapter 11 in NGII is such a cool level and they totally ruined it in Sigma 2

Last edited:

Larsowitz

Still much better than the Sigma versions.

Start with NGB. Still a perfect game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I assume MS has the publishing rights for both NGB and NGII. Without MS’ consent Tecmo cannot re-release these games.

Why would Tecmo re-release games Microsoft published when MS made them available for BC on the Xbox with amazing enhancements?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've never played through the sigma's though i did have Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on PS3. If it doesn't have the easter egg NES version on it I am not as interested. I have the original discs so unless this is updated to 4k or something I think I'll just pass and stick with my gamepass versions

Larsowitz

Why would Tecmo re-release games Microsoft published when MS made them available for BC on the Xbox with amazing enhancements?
As far as I understand Tecmo only owns the publishing rights for the Sigma games. Vanilla NG and NG Sigma are not the same games. So they are no re-releasing the MS published Ninja Gaiden games.

I assume they want to squeeze some money out of the franchise and a simple 4K collection of the Sigma games is much less work than a proper remake....

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I've never played through the sigma's though i did have Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on PS3. If it doesn't have the easter egg NES version on it I am not as interested. I have the original discs so unless this is updated to 4k or something I think I'll just pass and stick with my gamepass versions
Those versions will be better, book it. For Xbox, this new release makes less sense.

assurdum

Banned
The level of exaggeration around the difference between Sigma and the original one, always boggle my mind. I don't know about the second (I just played the sigma version, though was already considered miles worse compared the first reading the reviews, sigma or not) I played Black and outside some change in some area spots, I don't understand what are those intolerable i tragic cuts in the Sigma version which many fans talking about.
Anyway I'm quite happy of this collection, can't wait to have it.

Last edited:
I'm not going to read too much into this release, but figured I'd ask anyway.

If I were going to revive a franchise that's been sitting for quite some time, I'd probably have the devs go through the old titles first. If for nothing else than to get acquainted or reacquainted with it first.

Any chance there's the possibility this could lead to a new title down the line?

DavJay

I'm not going to read too much into this release, but figured I'd ask anyway.

If I were going to revive a franchise that's been sitting for quite some time, I'd probably have the devs go through the old titles first. If for nothing else than to get acquainted or reacquainted with it first.

Any chance there's the possibility this could lead to a new title down the line?
They already stated they want to make a new one. This release is probably to gauge interest. That said they also stated work on the next title have yet to be started.

saintjules

No official announcement yet, but it's been pointed out that there will not be a physical edition in the US or EU, except for the Asian version on Nintendo Switch.

** RELEASE DATE IS NOT 100% DUE TO POSSIBLE DELAYS THAT MAY OCCUR DUE TO RECEIVING GOODS FROM ASIA. ORDERS WILL BE SHIPPED AS SOON AS STOCK ARRIVES ** USA / EUR will not release a physical edition

Last edited:
According to its official Steam page, the only way via which you can change resolutions is by using Steam commands. Not only that, but the game does not support 1440p. Again, and according to the devs, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection PC only supports 720p, 1080p and 4K.
To configure the resolution, open the game’s Properties from your Steam Library. Then, you can enter “720p”, “1080p”, or “4k” in the text field of “LAUNCH OPTIONS”.

lol wtf!?

Top Bottom