• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection Announced

Vaelka

Please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games.

ManaByte

Please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games please don't censor the games.

tenor.gif

Maybe we will get a reboot soon of Ninja Gaiden that shows how the Dragon Ninja Clan started and follow Ryu's dad and Walter Smith leading up to the start of the NES version of Ninja Gaiden.
The Dragon Ninja Clan is far older than Ryu's dad. They're basically in mythology, during the creation of the Dragon Sword, and have watched over it since then. There are Dragon Ninja Clan members in Nioh as well, which is a few hundred years before the NES games.

Ceadeus

HOLY SHIT

And that only means one thing, the money Tecmo's gonna make with this, will go right into Ninja Gaiden 4 production. Let's go !!

I really hope multiplayer missions are there as well. Damn I'm excited.

Last edited:
yeah, it’ll be the ultimate Vita port of the game. :) I have owned each version of this game since the original. If I’m not playing it on Xbox then I’ll get it for the Switch. After X amount of times owning this series, it boils down to being able to play it on the go. The Vita ports of 1 and 2 had significant slow downs. I hope the Switch version delivers.
How hard are the two others, compared to Razors Edge ( I managed Ultimate Ninja after alot of tries and that was painfull )

Ugh, went to watch the trailer on Nintendo's YT channel and spotted some unsightly screen tearing during the Izuna Drop on Genshin (around 0:44).
KnyrliO.jpg

I don't remember tearing being an issue in the original Sigma 2, it was certainly more prevalent in NGRE (I can't remember if the PS3 version suffered as much from it, 360 had quite a lot of it.)

Edit: Changed on to in.

Last edited:

ghairat

Ugh, went to watch the trailer on Nintendo's YT channel and spotted some unsightly screen tearing during the Izuna Drop on Genshin (around 0:44).
KnyrliO.jpg

I don't remember tearing being an issue in the original Sigma 2, it was certainly more prevalent in NGRE (I can't remember if the PS3 version suffered as much from it, 360 had quite a lot of it.)

Edit: Changed on to in.

Yes there was some tearing in Sigma 2 unfortunately but lets pray that they won't appear on the collection

Yes there was some tearing in Sigma 2 unfortunately but lets pray that they won't appear on the collection
Damn, I definitely didn't play enough Sigma 2 then because I don't remember encountering it in my limited time with it.

Actually, I also spotted framerate dips and sub-native resolution in the trailer, so I'm already not very optimistic about the whole thing.

Frankly, if they can just get NGRE to run well I'll pretend the collection is NGRE HD. For the other two I'll go back to Xbox.

Reizo Ryuu

Black was the one to add Ninja Dog difficulty to be fair.
First itagaki said :
But gamers who think that Ninja Gaiden is too hard are losers - there are always winners and losers - just fight your best fight!
Then after he added ninja dog to black he said:
The lowest difficulty will be called Ninja Dog. While it is a mode intended for casual gamers, it is not Easy Mode. Not being able to beat the game on Normal means that you are a failure as a Ninja, but not that you are a failure as a gamer, right? Ninja Dog is for those players.

I can't find the exact quote for this next one, but after the bad reception of sigma, and leading up the the release he said NG2 is the game we've all been waiting for and sigma is just the game for ninja dogs lol, basically calling hayashi a disappointment.

Frankly, if they can just get NGRE to run well I'll pretend the collection is NGRE HD. For the other two I'll go back to Xbox.
NGRE already runs perfectly on series x.

Last edited:
First itagaki said :
But gamers who think that Ninja Gaiden is too hard are losers - there are always winners and losers - just fight your best fight!
Then after he added ninja dog to black he said:
The lowest difficulty will be called Ninja Dog. While it is a mode intended for casual gamers, it is not Easy Mode. Not being able to beat the game on Normal means that you are a failure as a Ninja, but not that you are a failure as a gamer, right? Ninja Dog is for those players.

I can't find the exact quote for this next one, but after the bad reception of sigma, and leading up the the release he said NG2 is the game we've all been waiting for and sigma is just the game for ninja dogs lol, basically calling hayashi a disappointment.

NGRE already runs perfectly on series x.
Yea, I know all the Xbox NGs run dreamily on the Series consoles, but if I had to settle for one portable version, then NGRE would have to do.

If by some miracle NGB or NGII were in the collection that's when I'd start praying for them to run perfectly.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What are the differences between regular and Sigma versions?

Sigma 1

- Adds three short levels where you play as a different character.
- Makes small arbitrary changes to some of the level design and enemy encounters
- Adds one new weapon.
- Adds a controller shortcut for using a healing item. This affects the difficulty balance of certain fights because you can heal during a grab.
- Improves the controls during the sparse water segments.

It is 95% the same game as the original.

Sigma 2

- Significantly cuts down on the amount of enemies in encounters.
- Adds three levels where you play as three different characters.
- Adds two new weapons.
- Heavily reduced violence in both gameplay and cutscenes.

It is a substantially different than the original.

sn0man

I collect for old systems so I was already planning to get NGB for OG Xbox. Would it be worth it to also buy this or just this and skip NGB if I only own a OG Xbox and an Xbox 360?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How hard are the two others, compared to Razors Edge ( I managed Ultimate Ninja after alot of tries and that was painfull )
I would say they are harder because Razors Edge has a instant kill move added to it, so you can decimate enemies one by one. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 feels a lot more like you are in control of the combat. I also found the bosses in RE to be a lot easier and less appealing. Better than that dinosaur in RE.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Which is funny because reception to NG2 ended up being extremely mixed at release from both critics and players alike.

Nowadays its developed more of a fan following and is generally agreed upon to be an excellent game, but it absolutely wasn't always like that.

SkylineRKR

Let me add that while I dislike Sigma 2, the first Sigma is really just fine if you don't have access to Black. Its like the other poster said, 95% the same game. I think they removed the ore collecting in the lava cave, and they neutered some other puzzles regarding the Bow etc. But they also added a prologue boss which is pretty cool (I think it used to be a cutscene?). I didn't even hate the different character to be fair, though lots of others do. Loved the item shortcut myself, Vanilla 2 went with it too. The US version of Sigma had decaps in tact (PAL did not, I actually returned it at the time lol), its just as bloody. I did feel the graphical difference between Sigma on PS3 and Black on 360 was sort of minimal, its like most added coloring and bloom went into the opening stage.

Self

Sadly not all versions included. I liked the vanilla and sigma versions equally for different reasons. Without further improvements I will not buy this.

I collect for old systems so I was already planning to get NGB for OG Xbox. Would it be worth it to also buy this or just this and skip NGB if I only own a OG Xbox and an Xbox 360?
Don't skip NGB, anyone who advises you to do that should be on your blacklist (I'm joking, but really, don't skip it).

If you wanna be a conpletionist, try getting vanilla NG and the two Hurricane Packs (you'll have to Google for a solution, or maybe someone here knows where to get them from).

I would say they are harder because Razors Edge has a instant kill move added to it, so you can decimate enemies one by one. Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 feels a lot more like you are in control of the combat. I also found the bosses in RE to be a lot easier and less appealing. Better than that dinosaur in RE.
I think all three games can be cheesed in some fashion: OLUT (On Land Ultimate Technique) for the first two mostly, which NGRE sort of did away with by changing how you access UT.

The SOB (Steel on Bone) was generally the better instakill if you could bait a grab since it allowed you to chain up to two more enemies after the first within a fairly generous range. OTs (Obliteration Techniques) only worked on dismembered enemies one at a time, but at least they got reinstated in NGRE, I seem to remember OTs were removed in NG3, it was all SOB.

I did prefer NGRE's implementation of ninpo vs the first two games though.

I think the best bosses were in NGB from a mechanical standpoint, from an aesthetic standpoint Genshin takes the cake easily (for me). Masked Regent was probably the only decent NGRE boss, though I can't forget the cyborg T-Rex for obvious reasons.

lachesis

I hope MS won't de-list original NGB and NG2 on the market because of this...
Already purchased NGB, but NG2 I haven't bought (because it was on the GamePass - but heard NG2 will be gone from gamepass soon?)

lachesis

Why would they...those games are theirs and literally aren't the sigma games.

You know, original Dragon Quest XI was removed from both Steam and PSN due to the release of Definitive Edition on its platforms.... and that's why I'm little worried. (like 0.5% worried)

Reizo Ryuu

You know, original Dragon Quest XI was removed from both Steam and PSN due to the release of Definitive Edition on its platforms.... and that's why I'm little worried. (like 0.5% worried)
Well that was basically an upgrade on the original.
NGB/NG2 are different to the sigma games and MS owns NG2.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i love Ninja Gaiden more than MG Rising and God of War.

my favorite weapons are

1: vigoorian flail and lunar

2.- kusarigama

3.- Eclipse Scythe and Dragon sword

SafeOrAlone

Banned
How frustrating. I want to show support for NG4, but maybe there is no point if they can't even get a collection like this right.

Reizo Ryuu

but maybe there is no point if they can't even get a collection like this right.
Comments like these make no sense, NG2 had no chance of ever being included, MS owns it, and depending on the exclusivity for NGB, it also had no chance.
This is literally the best a collection can be, without it being exclusive to microsofts platforms.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Sigma 1 forces you to play as a slow, unfun character for a few levels. They are short levels but its still totally unnecessary. It also makes lots of little arbitrary changes to level design and combat encounters that aren't a big deal.

I don't hate it at all and think its a fine version of the game.
Are we talking about blonde Tit-monster?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Comments like these make no sense, NG2 had no chance of ever being included, MS owns it, and depending on the exclusivity for NGB, it also had no chance.
This is literally the best a collection can be, without it being exclusive to microsofts platforms.
I disagree. The end product is still disappointing. It's been years since a release in this franchise, and we are ankle-deep into next gen. It feels too little too late, especially when you can play a superior version of these games on Series S/X right now.
My feeling is - if all you have is crap, just don't serve anything. Or cook up something decent with what you have in the pantry.

Reizo Ryuu

I disagree. The end product is still disappointing.
Maybe for you, there's plenty of people who never experienced these games, or never had a platform to currently experience the originals.
It's easy to say well yeah just play it on series s/x, but I doubt you're lining up to buy these people said platforms.
And yeah, if you have a series s/x, the value is low, but even then, if you never played the sigma games you can still try them out now.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Maybe for you, there's plenty of people who never experienced these games, or never had a platform to currently experience the originals.
It's easy to say well yeah just play it on series s/x, but I doubt you're lining up to buy these people said platforms.
And yeah, if you have a series s/x, the value is low, but even then, if you never played the sigma games you can still try them out now.
- You can play the superior versions on Xbox One as well, which this is releasing on.
- No, I'm not buying anyone a Series X, but I don't think that's a strong point.
- They could have put some effort into this release.

SpaceHorror

Shame it's the Sigma versions. Ah well. Whether I pick it up or not depends on if Sigma 2 is uncensored like the Vita version. No interest in playing it with that purple sparks shit.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

yeah just recommend people to play it on a platform they don't own, that's really helpful.

This collection isn't for you, there's plenty who do appreciate it.
Well, I guess unlike yourself, I don't think something is above criticism just because it is releasing on a platform is wasn't currently available on. I think it's okay to expect more from a remaster collection in this day and age. And I worry that a lackluster release will do more harm than good for the franchise.
I'm not sold on it being a good thing that more people can play inferior versions of an otherwise fantastic game, and I don't think it leaves the best impression or entices the most sales. I think the series deserves to be presented in the best form possible, especially this far along after release.

Reizo Ryuu

Well, I guess unlike yourself, I don't think something is above criticism just because it is releasing on a platform is wasn't currently available on.
I never said it's above criticism, if you'd actually read the other posts in this thread, you'd see I actually criticise the sigma games in general.
My comment was about you saying "this sucks because you can play the originals on xbox", which is completely worthless for someone who doesn't have that platform.

Or in other words, this collection isn't for you, or anyone else who had the delusional expectation that it would somehow include two games that are exclusive to xbox; that was never happening, this is the only scenario that could happen and it definitely has a point for plenty of people.

PooBone

NG Black could be argued as the best 3D action game ever made. NG2 is good as well but lacks some of the polish of the first one.

NG3 was outsourced and deleting it would improve the quality of this collection :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Top Bottom