• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo will reduce global Switch production by 20% due to chip shortage

recursive

Japanese news publication The Nikkei says that Nintendo has had to revise its production of the Nintendo Switch family of systems and will produce 20% less units than it originally intended due to the on-going global chip shortage caused by the pandemic.
The pandemic? That shit is over.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The pandemic? That shit is over.
We haven't felt the totality of the effect yet.

The governments did their best to keep the shit together, economically. But we'll have problems for years, residually.

Hezekiah

Banned
So this is why they’re pushing ridiculous prices for subscriptions.
They're already pushing ridiculous prices for hardware that was outdated in 2017. They're incredibly greedy, and plenty of people are prepared to lube up and take it.

Zannegan

Here's hoping they cut from OG Switch production, not the OLED. Stores are still selling the chance to buy one by lottery here in Tokyo (caveat: when last I checked) and on Amazon only scalpers have any stock.

if it sells 24 million next year that's going to be like 128 million switches sold, if it can have a slow decline 18-12-6-1 it will blow past the ps2,
if it drops like the wii- 14-6-3-1, then it will be a close call, if it implodes a-la the ps4 (though given the ps4 was probably killed early due to limited manufacturing so it is a special case) -9-4-1- it will take a comfortable 3rd
You think the Switch will be selling:
24M - 2022
18M in 2023
12M in 2024

?

You're expecting that in 3 years from now, the Switch to be selling 12 million consoles sold that year? 7 years after its debut and after having its peak in 2020, 4 years before?

That's...optimistic. Let's not forget why Switch peaked at 30M units last year to begin with. It was already going down this year...with these revised numbers, even more. Next year the fight for these chips will happen as well, possibly even worse than this year. Once the new shiny toys start coming out with all their new games, i really can't imagine Nintendo managing to keep up with them with the 2016 Switch. No matter how much they change that screen. But who knows. Nintendo might decrease that price and that could help.

It's hard to believe but the Switch is now almost half a decade old. The momentum won't last much longer...and clearly its peak has been reached.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
You think the Switch will be selling:
24M - 2022
18M in 2023
12M in 2024

?

You're expecting that in 3 years from now, the Switch to be selling 12 million consoles sold that year? 7 years after its debut and after having its peak in 2020, 4 years before?

That's...optimistic. Let's not forget why Switch peaked at 30M units last year to begin with. It was already going down this year...with these revised numbers, even more. Next year the fight for these chips will happen as well, possibly even worse than this year. Once the new shiny toys start coming out with all their new games, i really can't imagine Nintendo managing to keep up with them with the 2016 Switch. No matter how much they change that screen. But who knows. Nintendo might decrease that price and that could help.

It's hard to believe but the Switch is now almost half a decade old. The momentum won't last much longer...and clearly its peak has been reached.
There's no evidence at all right now that Switch is even declining.

Last year Covid skewed the results and this year selling 24 million consoles is better than any year ever from the competition in terms or yearly console or portable unit sales.

We'll have to wait until the chip shortages and Covid effect end to properly determine Switch demand.

Last edited:

truth411

you definitely will get mid gen refreshes especially from xbox, it's all about copying the mobile refresh cycle
I'd say a PS5 Pro is more likely than a stronger Xbox. Largely because the PS5 silicon is significantly smaller than the XSX, so it would be easier/cheaper to double the CUs for a potential PS5 Pro.

reksveks

I'd say a PS5 Pro is more likely than a stronger Xbox. Largely because the PS5 silicon is significantly smaller than the XSX, so it would be easier/cheaper to double the CUs for a potential PS5 Pro.
Maybe but was kinda of referring to the ecosystem play from both companies. I would like to see the numbers of Xbox All Access personally and what they were expecting.

CuNi

You should have just got one like 4 years ago.
I'm sorry but this console IMHO isn't worth more than 250€ for me. Especially since I won't be using the portable mode whatsoever. It's going to be placed next to the TV and be used like that exclusively. If the price will rise to above 300€ again, I might just buy the games I care for and use a emulator to play them.

Celine

Sony or MS have never done over 20 million in a single year.
There were two instances (FY) where a PS console went over 20M but yeah it's pretty rare:

1KP8nLf.jpg

They're already pushing ridiculous prices for hardware that was outdated in 2017. They're incredibly greedy, and plenty of people are prepared to lube up and take it.
The market is rarely wrong. What Nintendo offers is just worth that much, apparently.

Tams

Gold Member
If this means it's saving more chips for the superior consoles, I'm all for it.
It's not. The other consoles are on TSMC 7nm.

The Switch was on TSMC 20nm, but it is believed the 'Mariko' Tegra X1 is on TSMC 16nm.

TSMC don't have 7nm mixed in with the likes of 16nm. They might have some 16nm in fabs that also produce 20nm and above though, and that space is seeing a lot of demand from automakers (many of whom didn't plan properly and are now desperate for chips).

Last edited:

nordique

I'm sorry but this console IMHO isn't worth more than 250€ for me. Especially since I won't be using the portable mode whatsoever. It's going to be placed next to the TV and be used like that exclusively. If the price will rise to above 300€ again, I might just buy the games I care for and use a emulator to play them.

sucks for you then I guess. Metroid Dread is awesome.

carlosrox

Banned
The pandemic ate my homework.

*Complications due to restrictions and mandates seems a HELL of a lot more accurate.

Last edited:

Three

you definitely will get mid gen refreshes especially from xbox, it's all about copying the mobile refresh cycle
If anything you might get a slim sooner but not a mid gen upgrade any time soon. No platform holder is in a rush to create a bigger or even same size chip right now. Hell MS are trying to pump more XSS out there than XSX. All their marketing has been on the XSS too.

Top Bottom