• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo raises Switch output to record 30m, will release a model capable of better graphics

Gentle

Banned
But Nintendo's big innovation is that voice chat is done with a cellphone. No one has done that before.
Seriously will they ever get online play right. I have a large group of friends that we play our switch while voice chatting on the ps4 or FaceTiming- not even to mention the lack of headphone jack on the pro controller.

not to even get into game specific problems , Mario party, smash, Mario kart, tennis, why why why is the online soooo bad

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seriously will they ever get online play right. I have a large group of friends that we play our switch while voice chatting on the ps4 or FaceTiming- not even to mention the lack of headphone jack on the pro controller.

not to even get into game specific problems , Mario party, smash, Mario kart, tennis, why why why is the online soooo bad
insult moron GIF

Knightime_X

So I am guessing you did not play the Ps4 or Xbox one that much then. ;)
If it wasn't 60fps on ps4 i got it for pc.
But if I didn't have a choice and really wanted to play then i got said game for console.

There are a few ps4 games I've yet to touch until I get a ps5 because i refuse to buy a ps4 pro.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Looking forward to the oled screened Switch but knowing some nobhead scalpers will try grabbing them all;

Animated GIF
I’ll just wait until I can walk into a store and buy it. Or, Nintendo can tie preorders to Nintendo accounts for those interested, handling some fulfillment internally.

MrA

Banned
If the switch does pull 30 million this year, it would *REALLY* have to fall off a cliff for it not to take the ps2/ds in terms of sale , personally I think this will be way too many units if lockdowns end and people really start going out again

Are OLED screens better than they were during Vita times? I heard the black levels and colour saturation on that OLED screen was rubbish compared to large size OLED panels from LGD, saw people saying they preferred the LCD version of the Vita which surprised me, when I asked why all the advantages they gave were usually things I'd associate with OLED screens. They may have just been a wally in fairness.
They were. The OLED in the Vita is a product of its time but it's a fantastic little display. True RGB subpixel layout instead of pentile and no smearing in motion (which is more common with OLEDs than you might think), it was anything but cheap and rubbish. They were also more consistently calibrated from the factory than their LCD cousin, Sony really gave a shit, sad that most didn't appreciate the effort.

jigglet

Banned
What I want: (fake) 4k / 30fps & 1080p 60fps (for most games, with patches for older games)

What I expect: (fake) 4k / 30fps & 1080p 30fps (no patches for older games)

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

that text is by some Nintendo fanboy moderator, not me.
ayAkUPq.png

"Am I a console warrior obsessed with Nintendo?"
"No, it's the mods that are biased!"

TLZ

Banned
ayAkUPq.png

No need for witch-hunts.

Switch will be around 115M at the end of March 2022 based on that forecast.

The fact it's doing all of this without a single price drop and before the "pro" model releases is seriously astonishing. I didn't think it could reach DS/PS2 levels, but it's damn likely at this point.

Robb

Gold Member
I assume they have few unannounced heavy hitters in the pipeline if that is the case. Can't wait to see what they have in store!

Looks like Switch will most definitely pass the Wii in terms of hardware sales. I would never have predicted that.

ayAkUPq.png

remove that text, stalking fanboy mod

and btw, try to refute those facts instead of bookmarking, crying in the shower and then banning me...

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Glad that the article reminded me about COVID. I wouldn't have gotten my daily reminder without it. 🙄

I wonder how much the Switch will end up selling, and if the Pro rumors are true.

I wouldnt complain if the Switch became the best selling system ever. It certainly deserves all its success.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

remove that text, stalking fanboy mod

and btw, try to refute those facts instead of bookmarking, crying in the shower and then banning me...
The only facts here are that you have memory loss and can't remember why you even got that tag or even got banned to begin with. Don't feel bad since there's many others just like you with that very same problem.

No need for witch-hunts.
Well maybe they should keep certain previously banned second or third chance console warrior witches burnt to a crisp so they stop shitting up this site since they never know when to stop.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The only facts here are that you have memory loss and can't remember why you even got that tag or even got banned to begin with. Don't feel bad since there's many others just like you with that very same problem.

Well maybe they should keep certain previously banned second or third chance console warrior witches burnt to a crisp so they stop shitting up this site since they never know when to stop.

Posting someone’s public comments is now witch hunting/stalking? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

R2c0678333ac2051400e4f94f6e51eb46
We have mods you know. They know their job.

Report and move on.

Last edited:

Woopah

Switch will be around 115M at the end of March 2022 based on that forecast.
This is a production forecast, so that doesn't necessarily mean they plan to sell this many in the fiscal year.
If the switch does pull 30 million this year, it would *REALLY* have to fall off a cliff for it not to take the ps2/ds in terms of sale , personally I think this will be way too many units if lockdowns end and people really start going out again
One of the advantages of Switch is that when lockdowns end, people can take their Switches outside with them.

Now release it this year Nintendo.
I hope it does, but with everything going on I'm not convinced yet.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
PS2 had several price cuts, revisions, and the most expansive library of its generation by far.

I don’t see Switch getting a consistent price cut anytime soon if Nintendo are going to play the upgrade game, and without some impactful games that can get that many new people on board in the foreseeable future, I think Switch could fall off a cliff at some point, like Wii did.

There’s so many factors involved in this so I’m not too pessimistic, but Nintendo should really do something on the software side of things, and fast. Once the new consoles hit their stride, Switch will have a hard time competing with just Animal Crossing. If this rumored hardware upgrade really can do some magic with DLSS then there’s hope of seeing more third parties making the effort, but even that won’t be enough to get all the heavy hitters.

Woopah

PS2 had several price cuts, revisions, and the most expansive library of its generation by far.

I don’t see Switch getting a consistent price cut anytime soon if Nintendo are going to play the upgrade game, and without some impactful games that can get that many new people on board in the foreseeable future, I think Switch could fall off a cliff at some point, like Wii did.

There’s so many factors involved in this so I’m not too pessimistic, but Nintendo should really do something on the software side of things, and fast. Once the new consoles hit their stride, Switch will have a hard time competing with just Animal Crossing. If this rumored hardware upgrade really can do some magic with DLSS then there’s hope of seeing more third parties making the effort, but even that won’t be enough to get all the heavy hitters.
I don't see what happened to the Wii happening to Switch, already their sales curves are completely different.

Likewise the software situation is completely different too. By the start of 2011 most third parties had dropped Wii and Nintendo's own teams had moved on to developing Wii U and 3DS titles. Whereas Switch's third party support is stronger now than it has ever been and Nintendo have signalled that they will still be publishing major Switch titles in 2022 (and likely beyond).

I will say that right now the final 4 months of this year are looking very empty from both a third party and first party perspective, but I'm hopeful E3 will change that.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ok everyone got whatever out of their system lets stay on topic and respectful now please.

Woopah

Interesting to return to this following Nintendo's financial results. Their forecasts suggest a decline but only because they've only secured production for 25.5 million units. If they can get to 30 as this article suggests, they could see further growth.

Andyliini

As someone pointed out to me, Nintendo originally predicted to ship 19 million Switches in FY 2020, and they ended up shipping almost 30 million. This new prediction does not seem to be as conservative, but even 25 million on it's 4th year is quite a feat.

Top Bottom