• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nihilistic no longer working on Starcraft:Ghost

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Wasn't the game pretty panned at E3, if memory serves? Maybe they got discouraged by the lackluster reaction (again, if I'm remembering correctly).

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Nihilistic has completed its contribution on StarCraft: Ghost. They are contracted to begin work on another project in the months ahead. Due to the requirements of that obligation and the delay of StarCraft, it was mutually determined that now would be the best time for them to complete their work.

that's convienent ;)

Well that makes it sound like Blizzard is going to be working on it now. I highly doubt they would just let it fall off the face of the earth with so much time and money invested in it (then again they did make WarCraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans).

I think the Xbox version has been getting praise for a long time. It's the GameCube (and I guess PS2?) versions that people said were fugly.

Razoric

Banned
If Blizzard has the same feeling it wont be released...

Then again, it may be good for PC gamers if it does bomb. Blizzard needs to stick with the PC, not go consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Razoric said:
If Blizzard has the same feeling it wont be released...

Then again, it may be good for PC gamers if it does bomb. Blizzard needs to stick with the PC, not go consoles.

Why exactly? I like the idea of both...

B E N K E

They've already said 2005 for Ghost... I think cancellation is actually a possibility... I saw Bill Roper playing this game more than a year ago and for it to come this late there has to have been some serious difficulties along the way.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Here's my blog post on this whole Starcraft: Ghost development...

http://chespace.ogamo.com

Starcraft: Ghost On The Endangered List?

Woke up this morning and saw links to this HomeLAN story about the possible cancellation of Starcraft: Ghost. Blizzard recently announced that the game was to be delayed. Well, it appears Nihilistic, the developer that's been working on the game for the last two years, has also been pulled from the project. Here's the official language from Nihilistic's PR machine:

Nihilistic has completed its contribution on StarCraft: Ghost. They are contracted to begin work on another project in the months ahead. Due to the requirements of that obligation and the delay of StarCraft, it was mutually determined that now would be the best time for them to complete their work.

You love vague PR speak. However you look at it though, this doesn't bode well for Ghost, which, judging from my last hands-on experience with the game, was a decent, if not uninspired Splinter Cell clone set in a sci-fi universe.

The part that gets me kinda sad is how much potential this game had just over a year ago. Over a sausage and egg breakfast, I (representing Xbox Nation) spoke with then-VP of Blizzard North (in the Bay Area) Bill Roper, who told me in no uncertain terms, how rad the game was shaping up to be. And he knew his shit too. He had some really interesting ideas about where the stealth genre was going. You can read the whole interview here. Well, a month or so after XBN published the interview (in the form of a Pop Quiz featurette), we learned that Roper was fired from his post for an attempted coup with several other founders at Blizzard. Since he was obviously the champion of Starcraft: Ghost, I'm not entirely surprised that the game has suffered major setbacks.

It seems politics and games just don't mix.

WarPig

Bill Roper was one of the key guys behind Ghost, and so was one of the Millar brothers, now at Lionhead. So who knows.

On the other hand, the guy who demo'd the game to me at E3 was James "DJames" Goddard, late of the Collective. Maybe we'll see a version in six months where Nova kills Zerglings with stakes through the heart. That would be pretty cool, actually.

DFS.

Tenguman

neptunes said:
wake me up when Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 is announced.
I wanna see Blizzard make a new RTS that's radically different. Warcraft 3 is a start, but I want an RTS that breaks the mold (Like Homeworld, Myth: TFL, and Sacrifice).

Mrbob

What.

The.

Phuck.

If this game does suck Blizzard will pull the plug. They've done it i the past. Shit if they are going to do this inhouse it is going to delay the release of Starcraft 2. Anyone who considers the prospect of Starcraft 2 being boring is a tool.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Aww

Nihilistic's got a fine office, too -- of course, any office that lets you take your dog to work is a fine office to me.

Culex

Banned
StrikerObi said:
I think the Xbox version has been getting praise for a long time. It's the GameCube (and I guess PS2?) versions that people said were fugly.

I beg to differ. When G4 was doing clips of E3, they showed the Xbox version of Ghost, and not only did it look fugly, it was running at about 15 FPS.

Pimpbaa

Mrbob said:
If this game does suck Blizzard will pull the plug. They've done it i the past. Shit if they are going to do this inhouse it is going to delay the release of Starcraft 2. Anyone who considers the prospect of Starcraft 2 being boring is a tool.

Then consider me one big tool :) Blizzard should be making a new diablo, not a new starcraft. IMO of course ;)

Gattsu25

Banned
green_haired_girl.gif
a3.gif
eros327.gif

chespace said:
Well, a month or so after XBN published the interview (in the form of a Pop Quiz featurette), we learned that Roper was fired from his post for an attempted coup with several other founders at Blizzard.
Any details on the coup?

ElyrionX

If the game does indeed get canned due to it being a suckfest then I applaud the decision. It would not be worth spoiling the Blizzard name.....

ChrisReid

I played Ghost at both E3 2003 and 2004.. In my admittedly brief times with the game, it really didn't seem to have changed much or gotten much further in the span of a year.

Top Bottom