• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant Ver. 1.22474487139 - The Final Preview

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I'm just getting NieR. I can't even keep up with what I'm buying lately because there's so much stuff. Didn't fully finish Mario 3D World or even start Bravely Default II. 70 hours into Monster Hunter Rise. NieR next week. Got like 4 indie games on sale the other day ... :lollipop_anguish:
Yeah i'm pretty much the same, i cant even remember what I bought in the Playstation sale, I know Zanki zero was one of them, erm, disaster report too and a few others. Just blew a load on the Xbox store too..

And all the while I've went and got stuck into Dantes inferno i'd bought years ago on the Xbox one. Nearly finished it and my god, it is actually pretty damn good

...But I do need Nier too. Loved the previous games and I rate Automata as one of my favourites, for the soundtrack alone.

Finally decided to place an order, delivery might take a while.

I’m still fascinated with Automata and have been listening to NieR’s soundtrack lately. The gameplay videos convinced me to not wait for a sale.

Now I need to pick up the pace and finish my current games...

Last edited:

Juza

I am excited to revisit Replicant again, still prefer it over Automata.

Hopefully they've untied the cultivate time with real-time, I don't want to spend days to be able to harvest or even weeks to get the white moonflower!

Last edited:

Rodolink

The IGN preview doesn't seem to tell shit beyond that it's a remake of an alternative version of a PS3 game.

The "before you buy video" from gaming Bolt covers a lot more ground.

Here are the bullet points according to their Video:
  • Remake/Remaster of the Japanese PS3 version of Nier that featured a younger protagonist.
  • Takes place thousands of years before Automata. Zero knowledge is required.
  • Visual Upgrade... Duh!...
  • Combat closer to Automata, but simultaneously slower paced to be also close to the original.
  • Many areas have been expanded to have more exploration.
  • There will be more story content, both expanded from the original and brand new!
  • It will be fully voiced for all characters!
  • The voice over have been redone with the same cast, with the exception of the legendary Alan Rickman who was... unavailable.
  • There might be DLC...
  • And the PC requirements... I don't care about those. This is a console game.
I played the original on PS3, but I couldn't continue beyond the first ending. The graphics were bad, the combat dated, there was to much text to read (those who played it know what I mean). I've heard that Taros original plan was to have the older guy as the protagonist, but ScEnix had none of it, saying that older guys don't sell games in Japan, thus only the Japanese PS3 had the Replicant version, while all the rest where the Gestalt versions.

is there a way to play it with the old man from gestalt?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
is there a way to play it with the old man from gestalt?
Well Replicant was originally how meant to be, while they made old man NieR to appeal to western audience. Which is why in time skip there is obvious change in brother NieR, while Father Nier only gets eye patch.

And

Kaine and Emil’s romantic feeling towards MC makes much more sense with Brother NieR more than father NieR.

Rodolink

Well Replicant was originally how meant to be, while they made old man NieR to appeal to western audience. Which is why in time skip there is obvious change in brother NieR, while Father Nier only gets eye patch.

And

Kaine and Emil’s romantic feeling towards MC makes much more sense with Brother NieR more than father NieR.
yeah I played the original, thus my nostalgic drive to play this remaster lies with that guy

Danjin44

yeah I played the original, thus my nostalgic drive to play this remaster lies with that guy
I also liked papa NieR but I already played as him in PS3 version and I never got chance to play Replicant version so I don’t mind we play as brother NieR this time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sounds like they've added back in a lot of the stuff that was originally exclusive to Grimoire Nier. Be nice to have proper translations of all the weapon stories, and this talk about an extra "heart-breaking" boss maybe indicates that they are going to implement the missing "lost world" ending!

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Soodanim

I wonder if some of the materials are going to be such a boring grind. I think I gave up in the end.

What was that nonsense about Alan Rickman? He wasn’t in Nier at all. The Grimoires were played by Liam O’Brien and, according to IMDB, D.C.Douglas.

As for PC performance, Steam gave me a notification that a patch is in the works for Automata. Performance for this should be fine with this game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I wonder if some of the materials are going to be such a boring grind. I think I gave up in the end.

You think Yoko isn't going to fuck with us?

It'd be out of character if he didn't!

The trick with Nier was always to do as much stuff at the same time as possible, as in stack up all the quests available at a given point in the game and due to the world being relatively small you'd end up part completing several quests on the way to do the one you were focussing on.

I do hope they change the trophies because being honest the speed-kill stuff simply wasn't much fun to do. Mainly because by the time you are ready to do them your investment in the story and characters makes it hard work.

Umbral

Is there anything about PS5 upgrades or is this one of those games where the developers act like nobody could have predicted a new console generation was coming 6 years into the PS4 generation?

I loved Automata.

Danjin44

Is there anything about PS5 upgrades or is this one of those games where the developers act like nobody could have predicted a new console generation was coming 6 years into the PS4 generation?

I loved Automata.
This is a PS4 game that can be played on PS5, there is no PS5 version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

SE really needs to let loose Yoko on a AAA budget. As a director the guy's instincts for visuals are really top-notch, its only the execution of the in-game graphics being average to poor (usually) that distracts from the fact.

That bit of CG looks tremendous, as did the CG intro for Drakengard 3. Just showing that he really knows how to pick his collaborators on the visual arts side, as much as the audio side.

Danjin44

SE really needs to let loose Yoko on a AAA budget. As a director the guy's instincts for visuals are really top-notch, its only the execution of the in-game graphics being average to poor (usually) that distracts from the fact.

That bit of CG looks tremendous, as did the CG intro for Drakengard 3. Just showing that he really knows how to pick his collaborators on the visual arts side, as much as the audio side.
Taro will never get same amount of budget as Nomura gets for his games. I personally really like the visuals for both Replicant/Gestalt and Automata despite not being high tech. Drakengard 3 is the only one that really suffered from low budget and rush development.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Taro will never get same amount of budget as Nomura gets for his games. I personally really like the visuals for both Replicant/Gestalt and Automata despite not being high tech. Drakengard 3 is the only one that really suffered from low budget and rush development.

I dunno actually. It seems to me Yoko's on a bit of a hot streak. If Re[in]carnation does well (and I believe SinoAlice did pretty good) and Replicant does half as well as Automata... he's really going to be up there as a bankable creative.

Nomura is kind of untouchable at this point, but there are plenty of other directors at SE who have to be wishing their last project sold as well as Automata did. Saito as a producer is in an even stronger position given he has things like Dragon Quest on his resume too.

Danjin44

I dunno actually. It seems to me Yoko's on a bit of a hot streak. If Re[in]carnation does well (and I believe SinoAlice did pretty good) and Replicant does half as well as Automata... he's really going to be up there as a bankable creative.

Nomura is kind of untouchable at this point, but there are plenty of other directors at SE who have to be wishing their last project sold as well as Automata did. Saito as a producer is in an even stronger position given he has things like Dragon Quest on his resume too.
You need to understand, even tho Automata made the series popular and sold pretty well, it never can sell as much as DQ, FF or even KH, so SE can’t justify giving Taro that kind of budget.

Also having big budget for games doesn’t necessarily mean more freedom. Having more budget means bigger investments for SE which will make them have more control over the project and will try to make the game have more mass appeal, it’s kind of what happened with Drakengard 2.

Last edited:
I love Nier's visuals style but they are not all that high tech, I mean Atelier Ryza 2 actually had PS5 version but barely made all that difference compare to PS4 version.

Remaster of a budget PS3 title. Like what upgrades would people even want for PS5?!

Buying it because I want brother and JPN audio. Don't even care that much about the rest.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You need to understand, even tho Automata made the series popular and sold pretty well, it never can sell as much as DQ, FF or even KH, so SE can’t justify giving Taro that kind of budget.

Also having big budget for games doesn’t necessarily mean more freedom. Having more budget means bigger investments for SE which will make them have more control over the project and will try to make the game have more mass appeal, it’s kind of what happened with Drakengard 2.

Not to split hairs but FF, KH, and to a degree DQ represent the high-end of AAA, the sort of thing that western devs often refer to as AAAA - essentially titles that the full weight of the company is behind.

Yoko's never had anything that budgetarily has hit the low-end of AAA really. These are all outsourced productions done on modest budgets, there's plenty of space money-wise between the two.

In some respects this has been a blessing because its apparent that Platinum (and seemingly Toylogic with Replicant) are pushing as hard as they can in order to build their business relationship with SE, but what I'm getting at is that the mothership can lend more support financially and materially to such projects if they see greater international appeal.

The other thing I guess is understanding that both Yoko and Saito are both in their fifties, they aren't going to be around forever and certainly not as long as the franchises under their watch are likely to be. So it behooves SE to build on these brands for future benefit - which of course requires investment.

Very excited for this game. I admit the release snuck up on me, so I'll have to try and get a pre-order in today.

This game is a sleeper gem and houses one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming. I also found the story very unique and the gameplay quite enjoyable despite it's flaws.

It is a big reason my wife and I bonded when we first met as she introduced me to it. In turn, I introduced many folks to it afterward.

Really looking to play the alternative version that didn't see release here along with all the upgrades they've done. I also hope there's some PS5 upgrades in the pipe(though I'm sure it'll run fantastic either way).

My only hope is that Yoko has indeed put either the Papa NieR version into the game or plans to as a DLC based on sales. It seems this game will do well. There's been a lot of posts by him and talk about Dad NieR in the last week or so, I've noticed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's included in in game as a secret..something wild like get all the endings and it ties Brother NiER to Papa and unlocks it.

• Love

Ge Os

I don't know, but I have this strange feeling about papa Nier being in the game.

Saw some tweet saying the "papa Nier fans woill have a very special surprise" or something like that, and then, there's this:

lvwus8x61pq61.jpg

It's either a "NG+ thing" or an option within the game.
I'm also thinking about reversible cover with Gestalt as an alt, making a full 1.5 experience.

• Thoughtful
Remaster of a budget PS3 title. Like what upgrades would people even want for PS5?!

Buying it because I want brother and JPN audio. Don't even care that much about the rest.
And that’s how it looks tbh. Up-resed PS3 game. I loved Automata to death but this is unacceptably bad in ‘21.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I just can't wait to see how people react to Route B... hopefully its not become too widespread what the surprises are so at least a good proportion of the userbase are going to get taken unawares.

More so I hope the underlying message of the story, which seems more poignant now than back in 2010, gets through to people. Because its something they need to understand.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
i am waiting for this game. looks great. they also adding some staff, like extra episode. great deal got even better :)

Don't like how pretty/effeminate the MC is. I'll still play it, mind you, but I miss Papa Nier. Looks like maybe I can fake it with an alternate skin, tho?

Don't like how pretty/effeminate the MC is. I'll still play it, mind you, but I miss Papa Nier. Looks like maybe I can fake it with an alternate skin, tho?
Yeah, it definitely seems like an option based on the trailer even showing him. It's odd that none of the marketing has said anything on it though, despite him clearly being there.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Not likely, the alternate char skin was only active in the nightmare dungeons as it requires dialogue changes to work within the plot.

really, i thought automata has nods and lore connected to Replicant?
If it will make Replicant a richer experience, I will fire up Automata tonight
It has a few references to Replicant but is not a direct sequel story. Several characters from Replicant are in Automata but do not directly affect Automata's story. The events of Automata occur more than 8,000 years after the events of Replicant after all. That said, if you see how it ends in Automata, then you will be more prepared to see where it all begins in Replicant.

Last edited:
Not really, the Devola and Popola in the camp are entirely different model from Replicant and Emil in Automata is just one of the clones original Emil made fighting the Aliens.
He won't know that until he sees the originals in Replicant so I didn't want to be too specific...

Devola and Popola are not the originals in Replicant. But in Emil's case, all the clones are still Emils and this just happens to be one last surviving example.

Top Bottom