• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139... |OT| Unto Thy Shade

Komatsu

kaine-animation-smaller.gif

1m9bEgn.png

Developer: Toylogic
Publisher: Square Enix
Director: Yoko Taro, Taura Takahisa
Platforms: PC, Playstation 4 and Xbox One
Release: April 23rd, 2021
Genre: Action RPG

o3c5xMm.png

Steam-Story-Banner-new.png

The game opens with a prologue during the summer of 2049 in a snowstorm. In a modern, broken-down grocery store, the main character fends off attacks from ethereal monsters to protect the sick Yonah — his younger sister. After defeating the monsters, he checks on Yonah, who has begun to cough badly. The game then cuts to 1,312 years later, where the main character and Yonah are now living in a village built upon the ruins of an old town. The low-technology village is one of several, and is surrounded by more modern ruins such as the remnants of train tracks and industrial machinery. The areas between towns are filled with monsters known as Shades that attack travelers.

As Yonah's illness, the Black Scrawl, is terminal, the main character sets out to look for a cure. He finds a talking book, Grimoire Weiss, which suggests that the two team up to use Weiss' magic and to find a cure for Yonah's disease. In their search, they encounter Kainé, a hot-tempered and foul-mouthed swordswoman; and Emil, a blindfolded boy whose eyes petrify anyone they see. After journeying for a time, the village is attacked by a giant shade; the battle culminates in Yonah being carried away by a master Shade that suddenly appears—the Shadowlord—who carries his own book, Grimoire Noir. Nier and his companions must then away in pursuit of this new foe...
[ADAPTED FROM THE WIKI]

Steam-Features-Banner-new.png

nier-gplay-03c.gif
nier-gplay-02c.gif

nier-gplay-01c.gif
nier-gplay-04c.gif

• Uncover the truth behind the world of NieR and prepare to question everything in this dark, twisting tale.
  • Journey alongside an unlikely group of allies through a ruined world, plagued by sickness and monstrous horrors.
  • A mesmerizing iconic soundtrack, newly recorded by NieR:Automata composer, Keiichi Okabe.
  • Fight back dreadful enemies with a visceral, uniquely customizable blend of swordplay and powerful magic.
  • Customize your character's magic, skills, and weapons with the power of Words.

System Requirements​

Minimum:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 3 1300X; Intel® Core™ i5-6400
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ R9 270X; NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 25 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
  • Additional Notes: 60 FPS @ 1280x720
Recommended:
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 3 1300X; Intel® Core™ i5-6400
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ RX Vega 56; NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 25 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
  • Additional Notes: 60 FPS @ 1920x1080

Komatsu

Saving this for future use.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What has changed from the original Nier released for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360?
A:
A number of things. Nier originally had two versions: Replicant and Gestalt. In Replicant, Nier was Yonah's older brother. In Gestalt, he was her father. Only Gestalt was released in the West, so this is the first time Replicant is coming to our shores. Character models were remade, the combat engine was further refined by Toylogic, a new global illumination system was implemented and some of the dated gameplay features (mapping, etc.) were modernized.

Q: Can I choose the Japanese voice track?
A:
Yes.

Q: Does the 2010 cast return for the remake?
A:
Yes. Both American voice actors and Japanese seiyuus involved in the original production returned to voice their old roles once more.

Q: Are there significant differences between the PS4, XBO and PC versions?
A:
None that were shown.

Q: Should we expect a Next Gen upgrade?
A:
No plans for a nextgen patch were announced.

CREDITS:
Two (2) banner images taken from Steam;
Story description adapted from Wikipedia;
All images, videos and music depicted therein are the property of SQUARE-ENIX.​

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

Currently playing automata for the platinum, I can't express how much of a great game it is especially for an ajrpg fan that loves philosophy.
Though I have pre-ordered returnal and will grab this next month.

Yoko Taro greatness!!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Scheduled Delivery
Monday 04/26/2021
Estimated Time
by 7:00 P.M

Wtf SE store
my.gif

Thats right, suffer like I did!

Joking aside, why SE loves to make these collector's editions SE store exclusives?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

JORMBO

Darkness no more
my.gif

Thats right, suffer like I did!

Joking aside, why SE loves to make these collector's editions SE store exclusives?
Yeah I wish they would let better vendors sell them. They charged $15 to ship this and they created the label almost a week ago. The initial delivery said Tuesday this week then it updated to Monday after release. No reason for them to miss Friday completely.

Danjin44

Yeah I wish they would let better vendors sell them. They charged $15 to ship this and they created the label almost a week ago. The initial delivery said Tuesday this week then it updated to Monday after release. No reason for them to miss Friday completely.
I hate shopping in SE store, I wish they bring it to other retail stores or online stores like Amazon......unfortunately I have to settle to regular edition.

Hope you get your "fancy" White Snow edition and I forever curse you for it.
tenor.gif

Pejo

gmg selling this for $46~ currently and you get the preorder stuff. For pc version obviously.

BlakeofT

gmg selling this for $46~ currently and you get the preorder stuff. For pc version obviously.
I bought mine from gmg several months ago and it still says "Awaiting Key". Probably normal, but I've never had this happen before the few times I've pre-ordered a game there. Just hope I get the key in time to play it right when it comes out.

Pejo

I bought mine from gmg several months ago and it still says "Awaiting Key". Probably normal, but I've never had this happen before the few times I've pre-ordered a game there. Just hope I get the key in time to play it right when it comes out.
Yea depending on the game they won't get the key sometimes until it "releases". Usually 24~ hours before the game comes out from my experience. At worst, I was just unable to pre-load once (I think DQ11). Then again, Steam pre-load unpack takes longer than it does to just download the game after it's out.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Hopefully this is properly optimized on PC this time. Japanese game so your millage may vary... If the base consoles run the game at 60 FPS, the specs above seem a bit too much for the game. A Skylake i5 and 1st gen Ryzen run circles around the Jaguar CPUs.

Never played the series before, and I’m now very interested! Should I play the original before this remake? Should I play this remake before Automata?

Danjin44

Never played the series before, and I’m now very interested! Should I play the original before this remake? Should I play this remake before Automata?
I would say just play this remake. If you play Automata first, you will get spoiled on some of the plot twists in Replicant.

I also highly recommend watching this video before playing Replicant.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Never played the original so Im in for a ride! I loved the Automata so much.

Question; does this also have multiple endings? Is C again the best ending?

Danjin44

Question; does this also have multiple endings? Is C again the best ending?
Yes it does but this game does it differently, after finishing the first ending you don’t start at beginning and instead start you at the second half. I won’t say anything more, so just play the game and see for yourself.

Cyborg

Yes it does but this game does it differently, after finishing the first ending you don’t start at beginning and instead start you at the second half. I won’t say anything more, so just play the game and see for yourself.
Thanks! Seems better than Automata, I just cant wait to dive in. But I first need to platinum Kaze and the Wild Masks

Last edited:
Do we know yet if this game is going to have any of the technical limitations/issues that plagued Automata? Just wondering if when this hits PC whether there will be need for modders to fix a bunch of shit again. Edit: Because if so, I'll wait. =/

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Here is me hoping for a ps5 upgrade after the summer. I still have a massive backlog op ps5 with all those psplus beauties and psn deals. Only halfway of ghost of tsushima right now...

Danjin44

Here is me hoping for a ps5 upgrade after the summer. I still have a massive backlog op ps5 with all those psplus beauties and psn deals. Only halfway of ghost of tsushima right now...
I don’t know what exactly you expecting here, even by slight chance they do PS5 upgrade down the line the biggest thing you get is higher resolution, you not gonna get any ray tracing or any other graphical features.

We got Atelier Ryza 2 PS5 version and it looks exactly like PS4 version other than better resolution.

Rikku-X

I don’t know what exactly you expecting here, even by slight chance they do PS5 upgrade down the line the biggest thing you get is higher resolution, you not gonna get any ray tracing or any other graphical features.

We got Atelier Ryza 2 PS5 version and it looks exactly like PS4 version other than better resolution.
Do we know yet what the resolution and frame rate is for the PS4 Pro?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This game always seemed like the definition of a "cult classic" to me. Poor reviews everywhere I looked back near the original release, while hardcore fans drenched it with love online.

Then Automata came along and soaked up praise from nearly everyone.

How do you think this game will be received by critics?

Edit: I don't understand - why empathy?

Last edited:
This game always seemed like the definition of a "cult classic" to me. Poor reviews everywhere I looked back near the original release, while hardcore fans drenched it with love online.

Then Automata came along and soaked up praise from nearly everyone.

How do you think this game will be received by critics?
8s and 9s everywhere so they can salvage their credibility over one of the most botched reviews in gaming history.

The original was a masterpiece too. Best in class OST, voice acting, story. Above average bosses. Good / Average combat, gameplay. Nothing in it was actually even bad.

I don't think this is a Final Fantasy VII situation, in which the game they call "Remake" is actually a sequel. As far as I can tell, this is a proper remake like Demon's Souls, etc.
I was mostly wondering if I should play the original version first to really soak in the changes.

I was mostly wondering if I should play the original version first to really soak in the changes.
I wouldn't. The game already needs to be finished at least 2 or 3 times (kind of, at least the second half) to really get the full experience. You'd likely be burnt out.

But, it's up to you. The most obvious change is you'd be playing as different main protagonists in each version (assuming you play the western versions).

Top Bottom