• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139... |OT| Unto Thy Shade

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Empty world, out dated and bad side quests and it looks like it has just been ported from 10 year old game. $30 would have been a more appropriate price, but i will wait for the deep deep sale.

Also, those are not my comments on the game but from reviewers who are giving it praise.

There's more to what a game's worth than its production values.

This is a port of 11 year old cult classic. A game that was roundly ignored at the time of release because, ironically enough, it was a SE published title that came out in the turbulent wake of FFXIII. A game that while still beautiful to look at, isn't in the same league creatively as Nier.

11 years on, reviewers haven't gotten any better or more erudite. If anything they've gotten worse!

Last edited:

gow3isben

Boys some questions:

Sub or dub (ie is dub good as I usually choose sub)?

Do I have to play the whole game 3 times?

Normal or hard (I like challenge but not annoying sponginess)?

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Question: the IGN review said Nier replicants combat is really repetitive.

Now I never found Automata's combat repetitive but there is also a lot of mastery to the controls and movement in that game. The mods were a great idea in that game.

Will this game but like this or is it more limited than Automata for combat?

Looks great in the trailers.

I just have a feeling the IGN review didn't go beyond the button mashing combat which yes you can get away with but not on a harder difficulty.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Question: the IGN review said Nier replicants combat is really repetitive.

Now I never found Automata's combat repetitive but there is also a lot of mastery to the controls and movement in that game. The mods were a great idea in that game.

Will this game but like this or is it more limited than Automata for combat?

Looks great in the trailers.

I just have a feeling the IGN review didn't go beyond the button mashing combat which yes you can get away with but not on a harder difficulty.
In Automata you have access to all weapon classes from get go but in Gestalt/Replicant you get full access after the time skip. So before the time skip the combat may feel much more limited compare to Automata.

mcjmetroid

In Automata you have access to all weapon classes from get go but in Gestalt/Replicant you get full access after the time skip. So before the time skip the combat may feel much more limited compare to Automata.
Right so eventually it gets good. Grand stuff

sobaka770

Banned
Started it on PS5, already feels like at home after Automata.

That being said playing in backwards compat on a brand new remaster game feels bad. I can accept that the remake was done with last-gen consoles in mind but not even a higher rez? The game looks blurry and graphics are nothing to write home about so maybe this could at least be upscaled to 4K on next-gen?
I don't know if I should wait for a patch or something cause this is literally a no-brainer.

Fbh

Boys some questions:

Sub or dub (ie is dub good as I usually choose sub)?

Do I have to play the whole game 3 times?

Normal or hard (I like challenge but not annoying sponginess)?

I like subs 99% of the time and generally try to play and watching things in their original language whenever possible.
But in this particular game I really enjoyed the dub. The dude playing Weiss in particular is great. (at least in the original, haven't played the remaster, but it's the same voice cast). The original also had some great banter from time to time and it's always annoying having to look down at subtitles while actually playing.

And yeah you have to beat it multiple times to get all the endings and the whole story.

Last edited:

Komatsu

As others have said, the original Nier dub was fantastic. I play 99% of my Japanese games in JP - including Automata, whose dub I liked but did not fall in love with - but like with FE:3H and Metal Gear, I vastly prefer to play Nier in English.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
I'm definitely planning on going with English dub. It seems they have some top quality VAs in this game.

Very excited to play this tomorrow! I decided to preorder on Steam instead of PS4. I'm betting on future mods to update all textures to 4K and some classy reshades to try to capture the original game's lighting.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
This game is one of very rare case of english dub actually being much superior to Japanese dub.
Good to hear. I'm really liking the sound of the VAs from the couple of trailers that have been released.

I usually opt for Japanese + English subs; Japanese VAs usually capture so much more raw emotion in dialogue whereas it just sounds corny when English VAs attempt the same lines. Code Geass and Attack on Titan are pretty big examples of this imo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Good to hear. I'm really liking the sound of the VAs from the couple of trailers that have been released.

I usually opt for Japanese + English subs; Japanese VAs usually capture so much more raw emotion in dialogue whereas it just sounds corny when English VAs attempt the same lines. Code Geass and Attack on Titan are pretty big examples of this imo.
The are anime shows that have fantastic english dub like Mushishi, especially the narrator at beginning of the each episode captures the mood perfectly.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sorry if this was asked already. I didn't read every post. Is the game limited to 60 fps? I need to know because it will help me decide Xbox Series X or PC

Komatsu

Combat is significantly snappier and more responsive on the remake. Nice to see light patterns actually affect objects - one of the most jarring things about PS3/XB360 Nier was the fact you could walk past bright slivers of light leaking from a window and your character model wouldn't be lit up.

Game looks much sharper and crisper, though I wish they had done more work on the textures.

Komatsu

v9pgPtf.jpg

"IT LOOKS LIKE A PS3 GAME"

It doesn't. The original game was extremely washed-out and ugly - trust me, I own it and have played it many, many times. The game shone when it came to the soundtrack and story, but it was probably the ugliest title Square Enix put out in the 2010s. Looks much, much better now.

I dunno if he is still banned or whatever but ElAnalistaDeBits put a comparison up on YouTube if anyone wanted to see the difference and it is a pretty big upgrade from the PS3 version to be fair.

nowhat

That being said playing in backwards compat on a brand new remaster game feels bad. I can accept that the remake was done with last-gen consoles in mind but not even a higher rez?
I can live with the resolution on PS5 and so far performance has been pretty much perfect as far as I can tell - but holy fuck, even if I'd be on PS4 some of the textures are atrocious. Surely updating them wouldn't have been an insurmountable task? On the upside, the combat feels nicely "Platinum-ish".

Edit: and also when it comes to tech, what is it with Japanese devs and anti-aliasing (or lack thereof)? TAA would be great here, now there's a ton of shimmering that doesn't look nice at all.

Last edited:

gow3isben

v9pgPtf.jpg

"IT LOOKS LIKE A PS3 GAME"

It doesn't. The original game was extremely washed-out and ugly - trust me, I own it and have played it many, many times. The game shone when it came to the soundtrack and story, but it was probably the ugliest title Square Enix put out in the 2010s. Looks much, much better now.

Last of Us and god of War 3 look better than this imo

Graphically it can qualify as a launch-title cross-gen PS4 game at most

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Hey guys

Uh oh

FnXqIzt.gif
Everytime I glance over at that guff site I end up feeling like Alan in this sketch, every single time..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Comparing Nier to one of Sony's AAA tentpole releases isn't fair. The original was a multi-plat (it actually started as a 360 launch title only, but changed during its long and messy development) and never had much in the way of a budget. Most of what it got was wasted on the two versions of the game being produced for eastern and western markets.

I think the new version looks pretty good for what it is: a spruced up PS360 game targeting PS4/One level hardware.

killatopak

Based on the interview posted here a while ago, it seems that this would have originally been just an up res port. Minimal overhaul was slowly crept in like models and other minor stuff like qol things.

It’s basically in the title. It isn’t a full on remake but it isn’t a simple remaster either. Basically it’s just an upgrade. It’s in between like a 1.5 version. They just square rooted 1.5 so it resulted in 1.22..... in the title.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Hey guys

Uh oh

FnXqIzt.gif
I'm literally shaking right now.

hrab

I think the new version looks pretty good for what it is: a spruced up PS360 game targeting PS4/One level hardware.
The price they ask for it does not reflect the actual effort they put in the game itself. There are maybe worse contenders in the low-effort high-price remake/remaster category (like Burnout Paradise on Switch), but it's clear that they are milking Automata success, without investing too much.

Last edited:

killatopak

The price they ask for it does not reflect the actual effort they put in the game itself. There are maybe worse contenders in the low-effort high-price remake/remaster category (like Burnout Paradise on Switch), but it's clear that they are milking Automata success, without investing too much.
It has all the DLCs of the original game included, an additional boss, an additional ending and expanded story bits. Other stuff such as rerecording and changing the OST as well rerecording all the voice overs and adding a new voice for Child/Teen Nier. Overhauling the battle system is there too.

Normally, I would agree with this but this isn’t just a simple upres port like the RE remasters which sold for like $40 each.

Last edited:
Marc Lamont Hill Wtf GIF by Identity

I was excited for this until I saw it was $60. I know it’s had work/improvements done on it but I was expecting it to be $40. Definitely gonna pick it up later when it’s cheaper as I liked Automata a lot, but for now I’m gonna have to pass since RE8 is right around the corner.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If we got to pay based on "effort" in terms of man-hours of production, high-end AAA games would cost 10x more than an average game, because that's the sort of magnitude of difference on the dev side.

As mentioned above, while its not a full-blown mega-bucks remake like FF7r, its hardly low-effort in terms of what has been changed, added and improved. Its also a full port onto a completely different set of hardware architectures; there never was a PC build to derive from.

Top Bottom