• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant datamine uncovers Nintendo Switch references

Square Enix’s recent Nier Replicant remaster could be planned for Nintendo Switch.

That’s according to a datamine uncovered on Reddit, which has unearthed references to ‘NX’ graphics settings within the game’s code (NX is the development codename for Nintendo Switch).

Of course, the code references don’t necessarily indicate plans for a Switch version and could simply be related to tests, cancelled plans or even a separate project entirely. However, possibly lending credence was a Switch version of the title briefly listed on Amazon France last year.

The updated version of 2010’s third-person action RPG is officially titled Nier Replicant ver1.22474487139 and released for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC last month.

Developed in collaboration with Toylogic, the title “invites players into a dark, apocalyptic world as they join a brother’s captivating quest to cure his sister of a deadly disease – a quest which will in turn make them question everything”.

Nier Replicant is the prequel to the Nier: Automata, which was developed by PlatinumGames and released in 2017.

Critic Alan Wen wrote in VGC’s Nier Replicant review that the remake was, “the definitive Yoko Taro cut, warts and all”.

He added: “Nier Replicant is at once an improvement over the original while still retaining its dated design frustrations that’s not quite at the bar of modern remasters.

“Yet for all its flaws, the story, bolstered by its grand otherworldly score, has the same deep emotional depths that first won over new fans, and if nothing else, you won’t find a more mismatched bunch of outcasts worth caring about.”

According to reports, Nintendo will announced a new version of the Nintendo Switch hardware in the coming weeks.

blackjon24

Better late than never I guess. I wonder why switch 3rd party Japanese games don’t hit day and date with ps4 and especially Xbox especially since switch is more popular than both in Japan

Ezquimacore

Banned
Better late than never I guess. I wonder why switch 3rd party Japanese games don’t hit day and date with ps4 and especially Xbox especially since switch is more popular than both in Japan
Automata and replicant aren't necessarily the best optimized games so there's that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well one example is SE had to modify UE for DQXI to able to get it work on Switch. In Automata’s case the engine is not that great since it was even struggling on PS4 so I’m guessing they going to have hard time running the game on Switch.

Other 3rd party games like MHRise is made with Switch in mind from very beginning, this why it looks and runs better than most multiplatform games that gets ported to Switch

Mister Wolf

Game wasn't worth the time I put into it to get all the endings. Wasn't horrible but I should have spent the money on another game

Woopah

The majority of Japan SE games are now day and date, which is which a late port of Nier would be pretty unusual. Especially for Square (Bandai Namco are still the late port kings).

Top Bottom