• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant (ニーアレプリカント ) Original PS3 vs PS4 Remastered Graphics/Gameplay Comparison

I understand that the art direction is different and the original makes heavy use of that overstaturated HDR-simulating bloom effect that was very commom in games during the PS3/360 era (and even late PS2 games like Shadow of the Colossus and Onimusha Dawn of Dreams) that is lessened in the Nier Replicant Remake. The only other change is a different choice of color in many environments but that's about it. Those are art direction choices one may or may not like.

But on a technical level the Remake has graced all of us with:

- A very welcome and necessary notable resolution increase
- Textures that are much more detailed both up close and especially in the distance
- Much denser geometry both in scenery and characters
- Larger number of shadow cascades and better defined ones too
- Performance that is clearly more stable during particle/alpha heavy scenes

And all that is delivered in 60 FRAMES PER SECOND, double the original's framerate. (Though I think that base PS4 and XONE may have some trouble and the PRO and X will offer better performance)

What's really not to like here guys???

Sakura

The outside environments looked better in the remake, but when it got to the combat area, the original version looked a lot better. Obviously the framerate and resolution was much lower as well, but why does the remake look so washed out? Where are the shadows?

The PSN store (US), lists this as releasing tomorrow (4/22). Everywhere else I've seen says it releases Saturday (4/24). Do we know which is correct (looking to get digital)?

My Steam says:

Coming 23 April​

This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 22 hours
That makes the most sense being a Friday. Confusing how I keep seeing different dates. I know it releases tomorrow in Japan, so maybe PSN just lists the wrong date. I'm hoping it does actually release tomorrow in NA though.

As someone who has only played Automata is Replicant on the same level? I really loved Automata and was curious if this is worth playing. I loved the soundtrack and story of Automata, how does Replicant compare?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
As someone who has only played Automata is Replicant on the same level? I really loved Automata and was curious if this is worth playing. I loved the soundtrack and story of Automata, how does Replicant compare?
The original is almost as good as Automata and has an amazing soundtrack also. With the upgrades and redone combat this has potential to surpass Automata. The janky combat held back the original a bit.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I'm new to the NIer World. Only played Automata and fell in love.

I played the Gamepass version of Nier automata. I know it's not perfect on PC but it's fiiiiiine.
My only wish is a decent performing PC version of this.

Last edited:
Which one has the better story?
I personally prefer Automata story. But they're both masterpieces. I actually cried at one point during the original Nier, maybe the only time with a video game I've had that happen.

The best thing though if you're into both games and like lore and mythology is that both games are actually connected.

Last edited:
They removed the stop hit frames? What a shame, the gameplay looks now weightless.
Yeah, that sucks. The combat was solid before if you played on hard. Old man with heavy hitting blows, tons of magic, and a 360 dodge behind the enemy, and an counter block.

It was never bad in the original version.

The outside environments looked better in the remake, but when it got to the combat area, the original version looked a lot better. Obviously the framerate and resolution was much lower as well, but why does the remake look so washed out? Where are the shadows?
That would be most unpossible. People have completely forgotten how bad the original look back on 360 and ps3.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Could have gone another 20 years before a remake but gamers are going out to get this game, the eyes are focused on graphics in the video Nier was a low key game considered a dud by many but once you get into it, it’s one of the best.

Top Bottom