• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata reached 5.5M shipments and Digital

In the future, when they remaster this, I will buy again. Let's see if 9S, 2B and the machines will make my eyes wet again then! HAHA!

Last edited:
Very happy for Yoko Taro, and SQEX for supporting him without a hit all these years.
I'm glad Squenix is supporting Yoko Taro, I just wish he weren't the only quality director they had left. Square liquidated an entire generation of brilliant game designers - imagine if they'd been supporting Sakaguchi, Matsuno, Takahashi, and the rest all this time instead of firing them and fucking with them.

I hope we hear what Yoko Taro has been working on sometime this year. It's already been 4 years since NieR Automata
He's currently the Creative Director of Nier Reincarnation. It just launched in Japan and currently Western release is TBA but the Director did say they are in the process of localizing it.

He has also been working on the ongoing YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse raid sequence in FFXIV the past few years.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Just started to get into this a few weeks ago...had a bad start but I’m starting to understand the world and the robot designs. I also started to realize this was an actual RPG and not a character action Platinum is known for so it changed my perspective. It’s a good game and story getting interesting so far (just met the twin antagonists) and deserving success.

Paltheos

Goddamn, that's impressive. I wasn't blown away by Automata like allot of people were, but I liked it for what it is and I am slash was glad that a game like it could be produced on a AAA budget.

A.Romero

5.5 million sold and they still can't fix the piece of shit broken PC port.
I caved a few months ago because I really wanted to know what it was about. It's very playable with mods. That said, I feel they don't deserve the sales in PC... It's a disgrace they refuse to patch the fucking game.

The game is really good, though. It has a rough start with the backtracking but 15 hours in it really takes off. One of the best stories in gaming. I would but the story level at Kojima's level (huge fan of Kojima).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
NieR: Automata shipments and digital sales top 5.5 million - Gematsu

Another 500,000 units moved since December 2020.
Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for NieR: Automata have exceeded 5.5 million units, Square Enix announced.
The game was last reported in December 2020 to have reached five million units.
Space Force Doing My Part GIF

Graciaus

That's kind of impressive to see it go up since the last update. Hopefully after the 1st game comes out both do even better. I would love to see the Drakengard get the same treatment.
5.5 million sold and they still can't fix the piece of shit broken PC port.
Why bother when fans did it for you? It's never going to happen.

I caved a few months ago because I really wanted to know what it was about. It's very playable with mods. That said, I feel they don't deserve the sales in PC... It's a disgrace they refuse to patch the fucking game.

The game is really good, though. It has a rough start with the backtracking but 15 hours in it really takes off. One of the best stories in gaming. I would but the story level at Kojima's level (huge fan of Kojima).
I know. I'd love to play it but at this point it's in the $4.99 or less club of games for me. I've got too many damn games as it is that I can easily skip a widely acclaimed one like this that I know I'll enjoy. I love Platinum games and it deserved better.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It wouldn't surprise me if its Platinum's biggest seller to date as well as Yoko's.

Gotta love a great underdog story!

ssringo

3 of those sales were to me.

So glad I imported the game and got to experience it without spoilers or any post release hype. Wound up being my GotY and GOAT.

sublimit

Banned
Oh how the times have changed. Who would have guessed the success of this IP back in 2010 when the original bombed hard and 50% of those who call themeselves now "fans of the series" were too busy playing all the mainstream crap of the day while completely ignoring that "weeb game".

But now that the Nier IP has become critical acclaimed and trendy they have to pretend they were always fans.:messenger_unamused:

Anyway congrats to Yoko Taro,SE and Platinum.Looking forward for the remake/remaster of Replicant.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
We can only hope the upcoming remake of the far superior first game in the series will do, if not equally well, then at least close.

Oh how the times have changed. Who would have guessed the success of this IP back in 2010 when the original bombed hard and 50% of those who call themeselves now "fans of the series" were too busy playing all the mainstream crap of the day while completely ignoring that "weeb game".

But now that the Nier IP has become critical acclaimed and trendy they have to pretend they were always fans.:messenger_unamused:

Anyway congrats to Yoko Taro,SE and Platinum.Looking forward for the remake/remaster of Replicant.
Why are you gatekeeping my dude. I loved Automata, and now that I experienced it I might go buy Taro's older games.

Just let people enjoy things lol

sublimit

Banned
Why are you gatekeeping my dude. I loved Automata, and now that I experienced it I might go buy Taro's older games.

Just let people enjoy things lol
Obviously i was talking about the attitude of a certain group of people and not about everyone.

Of course i'm glad that more people finally discovered the IP and it sold well because that means that more games will come out in the future. But i can't stand the hypocrisy of a lot of people i see on the internet (especially Youtubers) who are pretending that they were all fans since the first game when in truth they were busy playing their FPSs and online shooters while ignoring games like this.

killatopak

Gold Member
Feels good to finally have people recognize Yoko Taro.

Admittedly, I didn’t become a huge fan until the original NieR came out. I mean I played Drakengard 1 and 2 before but I only remember it being games with batshit endings. I also played Drakengard 2 first too so going back to 1 was not only mechanically surprising but thematically as well.

I wish for them to remake Drakengard 1 and 3 as well especially 1 since the story is pretty well connected to the Nier franchise.

Top Bottom