• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

Golnei

Is 2B's voice actress behind Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker's Miyako Hotsuin? I swear it's her.

Apparently. Along with DOA's Honoka and Lola from Huniepop. She seems to have been as prolific as any other anime voice actor, but for whatever reason 2B was one of the first roles that had people take notice.

Amon37

I beat route a went through the credits, continue game and get route g, how do I get the route where I actually play as
9S
?

I beat route a went through the credits, continue game and get route g, how do I get the route where I actually play as
9S
?

Sounds like you didn't beat route A if you didn't instantly start with
him
. It's literally how it starts, iirc.

I got the game recently and I'm currently at the
Forest
. Just wondering how/where do you get parts to upgrade the pod?

they mostly come from missions. it'll be awhile.

LAM09

I got the game recently and I'm currently at the
Forest
. Just wondering how/where do you get parts to upgrade the pod?

Soar

Apparently. Along with DOA's Honoka and Lola from Huniepop. She seems to have been as prolific as any other anime voice actor, but for whatever reason 2B was one of the first roles that had people take notice.

Are you referring to the eng VA?

I just got ending d by
chooosing to be 9s for the fight and choosing to go to the moon.
. I’m guessing I get ending c by
either choosing to be a2 and or choosing not to stay on earth
correct?

And then I guess I need to
go see this resistance fighter for the other ending?
. What’s the quickest way to see the final true endings?

I just got ending d by
chooosing to be 9s for the fight and choosing to go to the moon.
. I’m guessing I get ending c by
either choosing to be a2 and or choosing not to stay on earth
correct?

And then I guess I need to
go see this resistance fighter for the other ending?
. What’s the quickest way to see the final true endings?
Pretty sure you just have to select the last fight again and pick the option you didn't pick the first time.

Just got through ending E....
Stunning. There's nothing I can say about it that others haven't already said.
A game has never given me an existential crisis quite like this. I'm feeling all the emotions right now - happiness in "beating the game" but also a bit of sadness and emptiness. Perhaps that's the game forcing me to reflect on my own decisions in our own real "cycle" and realizing there's something missing? Who knows. Regardless, this is an experience that'll stick with me for a long time.

I haven't played in Automata in the while so forgive the potential misunderstanding of the game's themes.

Would y'all argue that one of the morals/themes of Automata is optimistic nihilism?

Here's a link to a good explanation of optimistic nihilism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

To quote Wikipedia, "Existential nihilism is the philosophical theory that life has no intrinsic meaning or value."

I feel like a lot of Automata went over me, and while ruminating today, I remembered that Pascal was reading from Nietzsche, and many of the stories told in Automata seemed to revolve around finding purpose or meaning in life (e.g. the robots praying to God in the factory, robots protecting the baby robot in the castle, or Adam and Eve's dilemma).

However, optimistic nihilism is not completely negative. From what I remembered from reading Nietzsche in philosophy courses in uni, he preached for "positive affirmation" or creating your own purpose in living, despite not having no intrinsic value in existing given from God, morals, or otherwise. I think of Eve in this way, going against the moral or belief that there is a gender, and takes the name Eve, even if though the name is feminine, as he knows that a lot of standards in life is very arbitrary.

And I think that the robot companions during the credits of Ending E were doing just that, denying their arbitrary creators (aka the staff of Square Enix), and creating their own meaning and reviving life for the androids/machines despite knowing that was not what they were meant to do.

In a way, I'm happy that Taro didn't go for the depressing ending that he tends to end his games with. I find the idea of finding meaning, even in disaster or lack of purpose, very powerful, and honestly, I rely on this belief a lot to keep moving on during the Trump Era.

Does anyone agree or have their own take? Also, I haven't taken philosophy in about a year, so please correct me if I'm misreading some stuff lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You gotta be kidding me with this select the wrong option and you have to play the
20 minute shmup credit sequence
again.

Fuck this game.

Mmm?

Just keep picking no until a certain option.

You'll know when you get it.

I haven't played in Automata in the while so forgive the potential misunderstanding of the game's themes.

Would y'all argue that one of the morals/themes of Automata is optimistic nihilism?

Here's a link to a good explanation of optimistic nihilism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

To quote Wikipedia, "Existential nihilism is the philosophical theory that life has no intrinsic meaning or value."

I feel like a lot of Automata went over me, and while ruminating today, I remembered that Pascal was reading from Nietzsche, and many of the stories told in Automata seemed to revolve around finding purpose or meaning in life (e.g. the robots praying to God in the factory, robots protecting the baby robot in the castle, or Adam and Eve's dilemma).

However, optimistic nihilism is not completely negative. From what I remembered from reading Nietzsche in philosophy courses in uni, he preached for "positive affirmation" or creating your own purpose in living, despite not having no intrinsic value in existing given from God, morals, or otherwise. I think of Eve in this way, going against the moral or belief that there is a gender, and takes the name Eve, even if though the name is feminine, as he knows that a lot of standards in life is very arbitrary.

And I think that the robot companions during the credits of Ending E were doing just that, denying their arbitrary creators (aka the staff of Square Enix), and creating their own meaning and reviving life for the androids/machines despite knowing that was not what they were meant to do.

In a way, I'm happy that Taro didn't go for the depressing ending that he tends to end his games with. I find the idea of finding meaning, even in disaster or lack of purpose, very powerful, and honestly, I rely on this belief a lot to keep moving on during the Trump Era.

Does anyone agree or have their own take? Also, I haven't taken philosophy in about a year, so please correct me if I'm misreading some stuff lol

Yeah pretty much.

That's pretty much what ending
E

Very well said; I caught myself thinking about that Kurzgesagt analysis as well. "Optimistic Nihilism" is really the overarching theme I got from my playthrough(s).

Mmm?

Just keep picking no until a certain option.

You'll know when you get it.

That's exactly what I did and then after the credits
an option came up to delete your save data in exchange for the option to help other players
I selected No and it was back to the beginning. Which is complete bullshit considering how long and banal that section is.

But I do understand how answering Yes makes sense. It's just who would wanna do that shit again?

That's exactly what I did and then after the credits
an option came up to delete your save data in exchange for the option to help other players
I selected No and it was back to the beginning. Which is complete bullshit considering how long and banal that section is.

But I do understand how answering Yes makes sense. It's just who would wanna do that shit again?
I'm not sure what's the issue here.
It wasn't the "wrong" decision. You can choose yes or no, and that's it either way.

I was watching some speedruns of the game, and someone showed me a mid-end Route C skip that was ridiculous.

You only get the Forest Key, then you open the subunit, save/load the game, and it resets the key's usage but keeps the subunit open, so you can open the next subunit without doing the next Box. Repeat, then open the Tower and it skips the enemy spawns/D&P's assistance scene so you can just go inside immediately after hacking.

Fhtagn

So I'm in Path C and I have a basic question:

is this a branching path, replay the whole game kind of thing or if I pick all Monitor 9S eventually I have to do all Monitor A2?

Top Bottom