• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata and The Evil Within is/runs better on Xbox Game Pass PC than on Steam

Banned
Switch Gamepass with Epic Store and there would be riots in the streets. Some people are lowkey enjoying this because it promotes GP.

Epic Store buys exclusivity, this is a case of a better version being released for reasons nobody knows, it wasn't even advertised at all that there are improvements. Could be that these improvements will be patched into the Steam versions soon

(also the Windows Store is better than Epic. Family Sharing + User Reviews + no additional launcher install since it is a standard windows app. The biggets issue with Epic is that their store is absolutely devoid of features that Steam and Windows Store have)

Last edited:

Jmatt110

I presume "borderless video setting" means borderless fullscreen? Yeah that shit sucks ass for frame pacing/stuttering, the trade off for a worse experience for every moment of the game is that it starts in the "correct resolution" on boot, WTF does that even mean? The native res? Yeah well maybe I don't want to run it at the native res, bizarre. Thats not how you PC gaming guys.
It has a proper fullscreen option too, no need to get upset about them adding a borderless mode.

GHG

Gold Member
Why it should be their responsibility where at that time the games were not published by them (not sure how it's gonna work out with TEW though)? Owners happily "ate" the broken ports and gave favorable reviews. And after all these years they suddenly feel abandoned? Where they were before?

I find it absolutely hilarious, because they have been waiting years for fixes to arrive, without a lot of complaining.

The question is where were you when Nier Automata and TEW originally released on PC?

The Steam review histogram tells you everything you need to know (pay attention to the ratio of negative reviews over time and when the spikes are) - Nier Automata in particular was a shit show at launch. Complaints everywhere, negative reviews and lots of people refunding the game. So no, people did not just accept it.

What typically happens over time with bad PC ports:

1. After the initial backlash dies down and when becomes apparent that the developers aren't bothering to fix their crappy port is that someone (or a group of people) will sit down and fix the game in the form of a mod.
  2. After the release of said mod people will start to buy the game again, especially at discounted prices and they can then have a good experience with the game
  3. The reviews become more positive over time due to most people using the community fixes which then leads to more people buying with confidence with the mindset of using the available mods
If the above never happens then the PC version is forever tarnished and people will treat it as such. The ideology that PC gamers just "eat" bad ports is bullshit and begs the question, do you even game on PC? You weren't here for the launch of Batman Arkham Knight when things got so bad that WB were even offering refunds to those who had bought the game via 3rd party key sellers and had redeemed the game. I know, I got one despite redeeming my key from GMG, it was unprecedented.

I know it might be hard to believe if you look at things through the lens of a console gamer, but the vast majority of PC gamers have standards and when they are not met the developers/publishers know about it. The reality is that modding community have come to their rescue more times than they would like to admit and I'm sure there's an element of "modders will fix it" when some of these guys are considering launching games in the state that they do on PC. Bottom line is that their existing customers who bought and supported their games should be taken care of and also get these updated versions. Anything less is the beginning of a scummy practice that won't do any favours for anyone involved in the long run.

The only thing hilarious here is the usual white knighting just because Microsoft are again getting heavily involved in the PC space. GFWL, Xbox Live gold for PC, UWP and now this nonsense. There's always something that you guys will leap to defend without having any prior knowledge about the platform.

Let's wait for //build.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Somewhat MS is responsible again. Well for TEW they might be, but frankly it's too soon, to do these kinds of moves. Is there some possibility, that MS did a "port" to Windows Store? Because for some reason FH4 was ported by some company to Steam, doesn't really make sense, but still....

They basically have to repackage the game when making the UWP version to go on the windows store. People saying "it's the console version" are incorrect. It's the same old PC version but the team(s) responsible for the repackaging are obviously taking the opportunity to make some enhancements while doing their work. There's also the possibility that this work is being outsourced to someone outside of the primary development studios.

What we don't know at this stage is whether there's something contractually that would prevent the steam versions of these games being updated. For TEW it's 100% on Microsoft if the Steam version never sees another update since they now own the property.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They basically have to repackage the game when making the UWP version to go on the windows store. People saying "it's the console version" are incorrect. It's the same old PC version but the team(s) responsible for the repackaging are obviously taking the opportunity to make some enhancements while doing their work. There's also the possibility that this work is being outsourced to someone outside of the primary development studios.

What we don't know at this stage is whether there's something contractually that would prevent the steam versions of these games being updated. For TEW it's 100% on Microsoft if the Steam version never sees another update since they now own the property.
It would be stupid from Microsoft it's their games now (to not do it). And for appx if I am not mistaken, it's just a wrapper, there isn't anything special about it, it runs same binaries, just inside a wrapper. To be honest I am not even sure why MS went beyond just placing existing version on Windows Store. From some angle I am impressed, that they did that.

Wasn't there also some locked beta version for TEW/Nier on Steam? Maybe it's in works.

GHG

Gold Member
It would be stupid from Microsoft it's their games now (to not do it). And for appx if I am not mistaken, it's just a wrapper, there isn't anything special about it, it runs same binaries, just inside a wrapper. To be honest I am not even sure why MS went beyond just placing existing version on Windows Store. From some angle I am impressed, that they did that.

Wasn't there also some locked beta version for TEW/Nier on Steam? Maybe it's in works.

Yeh there are no technical limitations so let's see what happens.

If this starts becoming a theme the negative press they will receive will not outweigh the benefit of the few people they manage to get to subscribe to gamepass to play slightly better versions of the same games that they already own.

If anything, making these versions available for existing owners will result in a lot more positive publicity for gamepass and their overall initiative on PC.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
well alright, it seems easy when we are talking actual apps like VLC. it can't be as easy to just move over a game. I bet it is not the hardest thing in the world, but there is no way you can just click a button and convert a game from UWP to Win32. UWP apps will most likely be also tied to DirectX 12 these days, and you can't release a DX12 only version of a game on Steam, Windows 7 and 8 users would be pissed. So the least they would have to do is to have DX11 support for this new version

Neither game requires DX12 to function, as proven by them running years prior to it being a thing. Yes, you could relink stuff so as to make the build demand DX12, but that's basically a technicality. Unless you updated the game engine to utilize the featureset its still only going to use DX11 features under DX12.

DX is just an abstraction layer, it gives you a consistent interface to varying hardware. As new hardware/driver features get rolled out DX is expanded to recognize and pass through their capabilities, the game itself just needs to enumerate the various modes and allow the user to pick the one they desire.

So for instance you can run an old DX8 game on DX11 and theoretically it should work as it always did because all the API is going to expose is the subset of features that correspond to DX8 and what the game is asking for.

M1chl

Yeh there are no technical limitations so let's see what happens.

If this starts becoming a theme the negative press they will receive will not outweigh the benefit of the few people they manage to get to subscribe to gamepass to play slightly better versions of the same games that they already own.

If anything, making these versions available for existing owners will result in a lot more positive publicity for gamepass and their overall initiative on PC.
I agree with that however for non-MS games, what they can do... I am not sure if there is some contractional obligation to not release it, however it simply could be that in this specific case Squeenix just don't give a shit. But for Zenimax titles, Ms have no excuse

And also, many games started to be really popular thanks to Steam release.

Banned
Neither game requires DX12 to function, as proven by them running years prior to it being a thing. Yes, you could relink stuff so as to make the build demand DX12, but that's basically a technicality. Unless you updated the game engine to utilize the featureset its still only going to use DX11 features under DX12.

DX is just an abstraction layer, it gives you a consistent interface to varying hardware. As new hardware/driver features get rolled out DX is expanded to recognize and pass through their capabilities, the game itself just needs to enumerate the various modes and allow the user to pick the one they desire.

So for instance you can run an old DX8 game on DX11 and theoretically it should work as it always did because all the API is going to expose is the subset of features that correspond to DX8 and what the game is asking for.

it running in DX12 would explain why Evil Within uses all of my CPU Threads very evenly and my GPU utilization also is way better... I wonder if running it in DX11 would completely negate the FPS boost I personally see :pie_thinking: it is really transformitive how this runs on my machine. I literally could not hit a stable 60fps in the Steam version. I dropped the resolution to 720p and still saw drops well below 60fps. GPU Ultization was like 70% and CPU was hammered on 2 threads max and the rest almost on idle.
now I can choose to run 1440p 60-70fps with Shadows on Medium, or all max settings at 1080p 80-100fps (the SSAO, which only has an On and Off setting, is VERY demanding in this game it seems

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
This may have already been brought up, but what do you think the chances are of Xbox series consoles getting a port of the new pc port from the original x1 port?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
This may have already been brought up, but what do you think the chances are of Xbox series consoles getting a port of the new pc port from the original x1 port?

The PC version on the windows store is the original PC version with some added improvements, it's not the console version.

Shifty1897

You know what must be done... It's time to review-bomb the Steam versions until they are updated.

Jeqg07x.png

Glory to mankind.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Switch Gamepass with Epic Store and there would be riots in the streets. Some people are lowkey enjoying this because it promotes GP.
Not the same thing. Epic literally pays for damage competition while MS paid for improved service over competition. Literally not the same, it would be the same if, for example, Epic paid for making different exclusive content, gave Fortnite exclusive content based on those purchases or re-ported gamed and actually paid for those port to be made but no, they literally pay for others to have less options, MS paid for having another better option above the ones already existing for years in other platforms, that's how you compete with features (a.l.a Steam with all the shit it has, like controller wrapper which is a godsent to me)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
UWP is just a wrapper, its not a port. You can convert from .exe to .appx in Win10!
how easy is that? I am no expert on this, but Microsoft also often needed some time to port over formerly Windows Store exclusive games to Steam.
Thats msix. appx is uwp apps that can also be used on Xbox. MSIX are wrapped win32 apps that can only be used in PC.
Going PC to PC is a just a patch or reissue, the latter being when they option to upgrade to the newer version is simply not offered and the product comes pre-patched like a GOTY edition.

The question is where were you when Nier Automata and TEW originally released on PC?
On torrents:messenger_tears_of_joy:

The only thing hilarious here is the usual white knighting just because Microsoft are again getting heavily involved in the PC space. GFWL, Xbox Live gold for PC, UWP and now this nonsense. There's always something that you guys will leap to defend without having any prior knowledge about the platform.
My point is that - TEW aside - MS is not responsible for Nier on Steam. Simple as that.

Last edited:
To be honest I am not even sure why MS went beyond just placing existing version on Windows Store. From some angle I am impressed, that they did that.
Because why not? They could, they did. This version is the same as Xbox version no? So having same versions on Xbox and PC GamePass is good.

Alright

Banned
🤷‍♂️

What's the problem? The best place to play the game is Xbox GP. Just like the best place to play Halo is on Xbox. I expect more of this moving forward, as PC GP differentiates itself form the competition.

Fingers cross that a Microsoft Xbox PC Gamepass box is incoming. I would like to play PC games without the shite bloat of an OS

M1chl

Because why not? They could, they did. This version is the same as Xbox version no? So having same versions on Xbox and PC GamePass is good.
In case of Nier, yes it's Become God edition or how is it called, same as on Xbox, but TEW didn't received this update some GP PC version is still better

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
🤷‍♂️

What's the problem? The best place to play the game is Xbox GP. Just like the best place to play Halo is on Xbox. I expect more of this moving forward, as PC GP differentiates itself form the competition.

Fingers cross that a Microsoft Xbox PC Gamepass box is incoming. I would like to play PC games without the shite bloat of an OS
the problem is that people have for years bought Nier Automata on PC and it's broken. It requires a mod to get working properly. Now they've went to the effort of fixing the game but only releasing it through Xbox/MS. It's not like they've made Nier exclusive to Xbox. If people want to buy it on Steam then they get the broken version.

Xbox is obviously the best place to play Halo because it's only available on Microsoft platforms so your argument makes no sense. What is happening here is like Halo Infinite coming out and runs great through Game Pass but it sucks on Steam. You shouldn't be forced to pick either Xbox or Steam. You'd surely expect that both versions run just as good as each other.

you really must be trolling. an Xbox PC gamepass box is the XBOX SERIES S/SERIES X. omg lol. Windows runs games just fine and will run better than Xbox. Gamepass is on PC so MS don't need to do anything.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
the problem is that people have for years bought Nier Automata on PC and it's broken. It requires a mod to get working properly. Now they've went to the effort of fixing the game but only releasing it through Xbox/MS. It's not like they've made Nier exclusive to Xbox. If people want to buy it on Steam then they get the broken version.

Xbox is obviously the best place to play Halo because it's only available on Microsoft platforms so your argument makes no sense. What is happening here is like Halo Infinite coming out and runs great through Game Pass but it sucks on Steam. You shouldn't be forced to pick either Xbox or Steam. You'd surely expect that both versions run just as good as each other.

you really must be trolling. an Xbox PC gamepass box is the XBOX SERIES S/SERIES X. omg lol. Windows runs games just fine and will run better than Xbox. Gamepass is on PC so MS don't need to do anything.
Then those people should buy it on gamepass and stop bitching. If they have a PC and/or consoles and don't have GP, then they've only got themselves to blame.

I couldn't think of another example of a game on GP PC. It's not my fault MS have shit the bed when it comes to exclusives 🤷‍♂️

Can I play age of empires on the XSX? Don't be a dummy, a SteamXbox box, (PC gaming box without the shite of Windows OS, but allows me to install Steam, EGS, GP etc) is what I meant.

johntown

Banned
I cannot speak for Nier but I never had any issues with The Evil Within. I always ran great for me? The first person mode is a nice touch though.

For Nier on PC there was a fan made patch that fixed the resolution.

Gamepass is great and I have nothing against it but I'm not going to double-dip on either of these games for basically a first person mode and mods for The Evil Within and whatever they did for Nier. I will either fix myself (which I don't mind) or wait for official patches to hit steam.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Timed exclusive PC Store patch?
I predicted that happening some months ago in the EGS threads.
No. Tango Gameworks is like 60 people, they have other priorities then to sync update timings across multiple versions of the game(win32 and uwp are not the same thing). Same reason Hellblade was not multiplat at launch.

Armorian

Banned
Nier now properly supports 21:9, plus they fixed volumetric lighting breaking AA in this game:

bb3Volume6facf199f3c671.png
fc5Volume6facf199f3c671.png
249Volume6facf199f3c671.png

I know they are oversharpen... this is default AMD FX level

Top Bottom