• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom |OT| King of Higgledies

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just bought King's edition for £50!

Buzzing. What should I expect. Any tips for a new player?
Honestly this game is very straight forward and it does decent job telling you what's important. The game also is not very challenging on normal difficulty but thankfully they added harder difficulty on the last update.

Exentryk

I'm so dissapointed with this game. Haven't played the first one and the hype was over the moon for this iteration. Terrible game.
Yeah, I agree. Loved the first one so much that I instantly bought the season pass when this was announced.

Going through the DLCs now and it's just running through randomly generated dungeons fighting monsters and collecting random drops. No new areas and barely any new story. The 2nd dlc added some backstories to the old characters, but you get to experience that in such a repetitive manner, which is by running through the same arena for each story and beating random enemies. And all you see at the end is a small cutscene. All of this feels really cheap.

The main game itself barely had any cutscenes. The small clips we saw in the trailers were pretty much the length of the cutscenes. Barely any voice acting either especially considering the voice acting is one of the strengths of this series.

Overall, just seems like the devs cheated their customers. I will remember this about Level 5 going forward.

Psychostar

Did not stay to play the dlc, even though I bought it along with the collectors edition of the game.
Definitely enjoyed the game however. Great story, great world (even if the last 2 zones were glazed over).
Very much looking forward to a new Ni No Kuni game.

bigedole

Please avoid.

NNKII might have the worst jrpg story I ever seen. And I have seen a lot.

Thanks for this comment. I was considering pulling the trigger given the sale, but you've reinforced all of the misgivings I've been feeling since this released.

Heh, I picked this up 2 weeks ago, the Prince Edition for 20€. Have been playing it for the past 4 days (around 9 hours) and am enjoying it so far. Dunno how far I'll go, but I can see the hooks made for people like me. This seems like a decent endgame grinder which is what I'm usually looking for when I pick up a jRPG.

sublimit

Banned
Please avoid.

NNKII might have the worst jrpg story I ever seen. And I have seen a lot.
Not even close.
Thanks for this comment. I was considering pulling the trigger given the sale, but you've reinforced all of the misgivings I've been feeling since this released.
I'm not saying that this has a great story or even a memorable one (it's just passable) but for me JRPGs are mostly about the world/setting,characters and mostly about the journey itself.And on that front i enjoyed my time with NNK2.
Same goes with games like DQXI for example.DQXI is one of my favorite games this gen but its story was not meant to win any awards.Still a great game nonetheless.

bigedole

Not even close.

I'm not saying that this has a great story or even a memorable one (it's just passable) but for me JRPGs are mostly about the world/setting,characters and mostly about the journey itself.And on that front i enjoyed my time with NNK2.
Same goes with games like DQXI for example.DQXI is one of my favorite games this gen but its story was not meant to win any awards.Still a great game nonetheless.

DQXI was a blast to play, and no one buys a DQ game expecting a deep or profound story. NNK2 by all accounts fails on both gameplay and story telling.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How do you know?You said you didn't bought it. :p
And each to his own i guess. I personally enjoyed the gameplay (except the RTS parts)
I also enjoyed the gameplay, my biggest issue with NNK2 is your party members don't get much character development other than Roland and Evan. People complain about in Octopath party members don't interact with each other in traditional way but each character in that game gets fully developed.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I also enjoyed the gameplay, my biggest issue with NNK2 is your party members don't get much character development other than Roland and Evan. People complain about in Octopath party members don't interact with each other in traditional way but each character in that game gets fully developed.
If there will ever be a NNK3 and Hino wants this collaboration with studio Ghibli to be really meaningful he needs to hire one of studio Ghibli's writers and let him work on the story and characters.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'll chime in and say I also really loved this game. I'll agree that some of the side characters weren't very fleshed out, but overall it was a fun adventure and the combat was pretty alright.

Picked up the edition with everything on PC so I'll probably play through it again soon.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom