• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next tomb raider in development (not any time soon), will blend original and rebooted IPs

levyjl1988

Banned
I hope they fix Lara's face, they fucked up the character model starting from Tomb Raider (2013) Remastered. The Xbox 360 version was perfect, then social agenda warrior it and fucked up the face.

Mithos

dual pistols AND bust
Proud Of You Yes GIF
De Acuerdo Agree GIF

I liked the last trilogy (particularly the first). But I wouldn't say no to some kind of reimagined remake of the first game. I would like it to be with less emphasis on shooting and more on exploration and puzzle solving. And the puzzles should not be some optional side quests like in the current trilogy.

Last edited:

Elios83

Yes finally!
Tomb Raider 2013 was a nice reboot game that I appreciated but with the two sequels they fucked up, they were boring to play and with a terrible story/writing.
Enough with Lara's family drama and the unnecessary personal growth story no one cares about.
They should take inspiration from the best games in the series: Tomb Raider1, Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider Last Revelation and Lara should return to be the character she was: attractive, bad ass, skilled.
In any case I'm happy that development of a new game is confirmed and we're done with younger Lara.

levyjl1988

Banned
Not kidding Lara's face is fucking off and I'm not the only one who points this out.

Kadayi

Banned
I just completed Shadow Of The Tomb Raider a couple days ago (thanks to PS+ free game this month).

I personally thought it was the best of the three reboot trilogy, a graphical stunner, with some great set pieces (escaping the flood, climbing Croft manor in the flashback, that whole section in the hellish red cavern where you link up with the monster priestess).

It's close to being as good as Uncharted and a new game in the series only needs to make a few tweaks to get it there.

-Lose Jonah. A terrible downbeat sidekick that sucks the life out of every cut scene he's in.

-Lose the artifacts and diary entries. Ooh I found an old amulet, can I sell that to upgrade my gun? No - but you can stop the game dead to read a dry museum-like description about it.

-Lose the villager conversations unless they're quest givers. Again, not interesting listening to them prattle on, and for a 'race against time' story another pace killer.

Make all the Crystal Dynamics team watch Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and focus on achieving that vibe. A propulsive adventurous feel.

Ironically SotTR wasn't actually made by Crystal Dynamics but Edios-Montreal. CD last worked on Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I do agree with your points though. 🤔

Fredrik

i dont understand the appeal of this series.

i did sort of enjoy the first on ps1
Well then you understand the appeal ;)

TR1 was great and unique for it’s time, while it isn’t holding up today aI still think people want that same iconic sassy action heroine and sense on discovery and mystical platforming adventure.

Lets hope the trilogy ends as a trilogy so they can reboot the IP again. I’m interested to see what they mean by nostalgic content. If they would remake Lara into a female confident and sexy version of Indiana Jones and James Bond I think they would hit the target spot on. That’s what she always was. But I doubt they’ll go there, for nearly 10 years they’ve down nothing but toning down all of that, instead of turning young Lara into the iconic Lara Croft over three games they’ve made her less Lara Croft with each game.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I hope they fix Lara's face, they fucked up the character model starting from Tomb Raider (2013) Remastered. The Xbox 360 version was perfect, then social agenda warrior it and fucked up the face.
Unpopular opinion but the new Crystal Dynamics Lara Croft design really grows on me

images

Its already better than original Lara in my opinion

I want them to keep her that way

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I hear a lot of talk about Lara being unattractive in the newer games. I mean... I only played TR 2013 but she seemed pretty attractive to me.

What I'd like to see is a game that tries to reinterpret the overall design of the first two-or-three Tomb Raiders games, instead of being something closer to an Uncharted clone, and features a Lara, who's overtly sexy and not just a pretty woman. Maybe things will have have changed by the time the new game hits, but I'm not overly optimistic on getting the latter of my two wants.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I love the reboot trilogy, what id like is for the next game to essentially be a re-imagining of the first tomb raiders story, while also being a continuation of the reboot trilogy, With new locations, plot elements, and gameplay possibilities. Let lara be sexy but not in the cheesy 90’s sort of way. I envision lara as muscular, show that off. Get rid of trinity, they are done. Focus on a new villain, lower the stakes, lara doesn't need to save the world. Dont be afraid of the supernatural. I want Lara to encounter dinosaurs again, make it scary. Make oceanic diving exploration a big part of it. Fill that water with great white sharks, eels, baricuda’s and fuck it, big killer swimming dino’s, and make it fucking dark and terrifying to go in the water. Really target peoples thassalaophobia

Poordevil

Never played any of the old Playstation Tomb Raider games. The reboot Tomb Raider was my first.
It was a better than average action thriller. There were a lot of comparisons to Uncharted, which I have never played, so the whole Uncharted like level design was new to me. A single player game that I enjoyed enough to play through more than once. Had engaging combat, decent story, Lara was likeable. Tomb exploration and puzzle solving was well done, but should have been more elaborate or extensive. Every time I finished a tomb I thought, That's it? I bought the second one, Rise of the Tomb Raider, but never finished it. Lame story, Lara is not as likeable, and the game in general was a step down from the first. Not terrible but couldn't hold my interest enough to finish it. Never tried Shadow.

rahuljx

I also feel that they need to stop with the non-stop collecting. It really detracts from the game. Focus on tomb puzzles, treasure hunting, blending history with fiction and unravelling the mysteries of ancient cultures.

Tschumi

No chips in this game, i played the first reboot and liked it but haven't played either of the other two.. played one of the 3d ones for the 90s.. I'm no fan so I've no real passion on this point. I think we've got enough nier automata and such for fappage, i prefer reboot Lara, yo soy un assman.

kramer smoking GIF by HULU

Bkdk

The reboobted edition blending in both the original and reboot size. Excited for this! Also glad no more avengers. Hopefully SE will bring deus ex back, now that they don’t have to worry cyberpunk will end competition of the genre anymore.

sublimit

Banned
I thought Anniversary was great, they reworked a lot to avoid all the backtracking, but it was solid. IMO, this is the direction they should take with future releases, lots of puzzles and traversal challenges without all of the backtracking from the original PS1 set.
Like i said they butchered the game and cut off important areas of the original game like in Tomb of Tihocan,the Cistern etc ,they implemented a stupid gimmic for the combat and made the iconic T-Rex battle a shitty scripted event when in the original you had multiple ways of how to approach the fight, Larson and Pierre only appear in lame cutscenes (again unlike the original where they are actual enemies),the wall running SUCKS in the later sections in the Great Pyramid due to the awful camera,and they made Lara a crybaby.

It's really a bad remake and i don't want to see Crystal ever again try to "remake" (ruin) a classic TR game.

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
So they are just going to rip off uncharted again but maybe have a worse story. Looking forward to the next creatively bankrupt AAA 3rd persion action game with old, tired ledge climbing that the assembly line blandly shits out.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just completed Shadow Of The Tomb Raider a couple days ago (thanks to PS+ free game this month).

I personally thought it was the best of the three reboot trilogy, a graphical stunner, with some great set pieces (escaping the flood, climbing Croft manor in the flashback, that whole section in the hellish red cavern where you link up with the monster priestess).

It's close to being as good as Uncharted and a new game in the series only needs to make a few tweaks to get it there.

-Lose Jonah. A terrible downbeat sidekick that sucks the life out of every cut scene he's in.

-Lose the artifacts and diary entries. Ooh I found an old amulet, can I sell that to upgrade my gun? No - but you can stop the game dead to read a dry museum-like description about it.

-Lose the villager conversations unless they're quest givers. Again, not interesting listening to them prattle on, and for a 'race against time' story another pace killer.

Make all the Crystal Dynamics team watch Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and focus on achieving that vibe. A propulsive adventurous feel.

Totally agree with everything you said above, have just completed the dark as fuck hell cavern and man, Crystal Dynamics need to make a horror game, that whole area is just deeply disturbing and insanely atmospheric and i take it back their environmental artists are just as good as the naughty gods, everything in this game just oozes absolute top tier quality art wise, some scenes are truly breathtaking but they really need to lose all the fluff shite

Top Bottom