• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next tomb raider in development (not any time soon), will blend original and rebooted IPs

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/01/next_tomb_raider_game_to_blend_originals_with_reboot_trilogy

The next game in the Tomb Raider franchise is in development, but will not be announced in the near future. Square Enix plans to celebrate the series’ 25th anniversary all year with retrospectives, “nostalgic content”, and more, while Crystal Dynamics begins work on Lara Croft’s next big adventure. According to franchise game director Will Kerslake, this project will unify the ideas of the original PS1 games with the more recent reboot trilogy.

“We envision the future of Tomb Raider unfolding after [the rebooted trilogy], telling stories that build upon both the breadth of Core Design and Crystal Dynamics’ games, looking to unify these timelines,” he said as part of a social media puff piece. “With Tomb Raider’s extensive history, this is not an easy task, and we ask for patience as we go through the process.”

A Lara that's allowed to be feminine and fun, and who is raiding tombs because she loves it, not due to daddy issues, with more of a focus on puzzles, platforming and exploration than combat, but with the rerebooted series polish, would be grand.

Also big boobed women exist, stop being sexist and cater to busty women too, you misogynistic pigs!

SkylineRKR

Last trilogy was such a disappointment. I liked 2013 but it went downhill from there.

They should've doubled down on the survival on desolate island aspect but didn't. After the first scenes Lara kills hordes of commandos and animals without remorse. Then they uglified her in the sequels, and made the gameplay even less interesting.

I'd like to see TR to go back to the roots. Make it like the very first game, but with todays tech. Its a guaranteed hit.

anthraticus

Banned
Last trilogy was such a disappointment. I liked 2013 but it went downhill from there.

They should've doubled down on the survival on desolate island aspect but didn't. After the first scenes Lara kills hordes of commandos and animals without remorse. Then they uglified her in the sequels, and made the gameplay even less interesting.

I'd like to see TR to go back to the roots. Make it like the very first game, but with todays tech. Its a guaranteed hit.
The first game you actually had to use your head somewhat and figure out where to go, climb.....

Nowadays they"d have markers pointing to the exact spots you need to grab on to....lol.

Kadayi

Banned
Quite enjoyed the reboot games tbh. My main criticism would be the mediocre writing and bland characterisation. I do agree that combat also got pretty tedious at times. I really dig a game that was a bit less focussed on that, but with maybe greater emphasis on traversal. Perhaps taking some cues from Death Stranding in that regard.

Can we have the fun Lara Croft back from the previous trilogy (Anniversary/Legend/Underworld) at least

I really liked the reboot trilogy, especially Rise of the Tomb Raider. But I would like a remake of the first game. Being 25 years ago and all it would be cool to see if it still "works".

Have you tried Tomb Raider Anniversary? Pretty good if all you want is a remake of the original(y)

Kimahri

Banned
Give her some shorts, for pity's sake! Can you imagine running around in those pants in tropical environments, while climbing, running, jumping and doing all kinds of action stuff? I die inside just thinking about it.

cormack12

Gold Member

Tomb Raider 2013 was by far the best. Gritty uncharted without all the BS collect-a-thon. ❤

I feel exactly the same. I think they listened to a lot of shite on the internet (and while one of those things was good in more tombs), most were terrible ideas that made each iteration worse. It was a shame. Tomb Raider was the safe hate IP - it got a lot of hate for design and tropes which are/were evident in things like Uncharted which were given free passes because it had a more engaging story. And then all of a sudden 4 was revolutionary because Drake got a piton for a couple of hours, while Lara had been using zip lines, axes, cliff textures, quick grabs etc. to add more excitement to climbing

Bring back original Lara.
BogusMasculineDunnart-small.gif

driqe

I want the old Lara back. No more b00bs limitations!
No pointy boobs, no buy
And short shorts too god damn it :/
Micro boobs + big boobs = small boobs.
A Lara that's allowed to be feminine and fun, and who is raiding tombs because she loves it, not due to daddy issues, with more of a focus on puzzles, platforming and exploration than combat, but with the rerebooted series polish, would be grand.

Also big boobed women exist, stop being sexist and cater to busty women too, you misogynistic pigs!
I really hope they bring sexy Lara back.

Great news since I enjoyed those 2 PS Plus TR Sony gave us. They were very Uncharted-like but also different. Shadow of the TR is significantly better and more beautiful game than previous one, if you ask me. No idea why it’s rated much worse on MC. Better tombs and at times, graphically stunning. Actually, most of the time.

I like Lara in this reboot, she has good character, you know, not bitch but like genuinely nice person. Now, her unrelenting drive and total obsession does make her look crazy. Devs could’ve made her more grounded and human. And where is her love interest, huh? They gave friendzoned Jonah one. Where is her release valve? Is she asexual, wtf, c’mon, fix that shiet. It’s hard to equate with someone if he/she is so robotic. Also, love her accent.

Now, for making her more sexy, good like with that in today’s culture. You would have to have balls of steel and thickest of skins to survive the onslaught and bad press. They didn’t make her ugly, at least.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sounds like the perfect version of TR.

Please no. They butchered it enough in Anniversary.

I thought Anniversary was great, they reworked a lot to avoid all the backtracking, but it was solid. IMO, this is the direction they should take with future releases, lots of puzzles and traversal challenges without all of the backtracking from the original PS1 set.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
cormack12 cormack12 I'm almost unbeatable when it comes to Tomb Raider news

Termite

Interesting as I just started Rise of the Tomb Raider yesterday.

I liked the reboot just fine - it did plenty of things better than Uncharted 1-3 but got little praise for them as the story (which will always be the focus of these kinds of games) was significantly worse. At the same time, the game was a pretty mediocre "designed by committee" modern game, full of the meaningless exp, crafting and other systems that are just there to be there. But the island location was good, the visuals were gorgeous and the "game-feel" was on point.

Already I can see the same kinds of issues I had with TR 2013 with Rise. The writing is awful (even worse this time), and Lara herself is such a terrible, bland character, with wooden voice acting to boot.

It'll be interesting to see what they do because the Uncharted formula is looking very dated even in Uncharted 4, and they can't run back the Lara character from the reboot - no one really liked her.

Don't really give two shits about her breast size, I just want someone I'm excited to go on an adventure with - reboot Lara was not that person.

Personally, I'd go back to actually challenging platforming, get rid of the exp and crafting systems and make Lara a confident, fun character again with an entirely different voice actress. Not sure how that'd play in the current single player game market though, where player freedom, open worlds and levelling systems all seem to be integral to the biggest selling SP games.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Currently playing Shadow at the minute, man that game is a fucking looker.. the amount of times I’ve simply stopped just to pan around and take it in.. gameplay wise its more of the same as the previous ones which isn’t a bad thing but I do hope I’m not stuck in this fucking jungle for the entire duration, at least the first one took you to some awesome places.

I do think Uncharted still blows these games away, the characters are better written and the breadth and scope of the environments especially in UC4 is insane, also is it me or does the Tomb Raider games feel more claustrophobic than the UC games?? I dunno if it’s the environment of Shadow but I’m sure I felt the same in the previous ones but everything is so tight around Lara, I’m talking the general levels not the big open worldy hub level… Just seems like there’s more room to move around in the levels of UC than there is with TR.

But yeah id like to see Lara return to her roots, nothing bate coming across that Trex for the first time in TR1 or the sheer feeling of exploration with the original games…

Kadayi

Banned
Legit do not know why people think boobs Lara is ever coming back in this day and age. It ain't happening outside of Crystal Dynamics relocating to Japan and hiring a new team ppl.

Madflavor

It'll be another third person action adventure with cover base shooting, light stealth mechanics, and Uncharted type climbing sections that were cool 10 years ago. Lara will also still be a boring wet blanket of a character, and the game will barely make a splash.

If you expect a return to roots, bringing back a sexy, fun, peak human Lara, with great atmosphere, cryptic level design and puzzles, a sense of isolation and dread, then better manage your expectations.

Matt_Fox

I just completed Shadow Of The Tomb Raider a couple days ago (thanks to PS+ free game this month).

I personally thought it was the best of the three reboot trilogy, a graphical stunner, with some great set pieces (escaping the flood, climbing Croft manor in the flashback, that whole section in the hellish red cavern where you link up with the monster priestess).

It's close to being as good as Uncharted and a new game in the series only needs to make a few tweaks to get it there.

-Lose Jonah. A terrible downbeat sidekick that sucks the life out of every cut scene he's in.

-Lose the artifacts and diary entries. Ooh I found an old amulet, can I sell that to upgrade my gun? No - but you can stop the game dead to read a dry museum-like description about it.

-Lose the villager conversations unless they're quest givers. Again, not interesting listening to them prattle on, and for a 'race against time' story another pace killer.

Make all the Crystal Dynamics team watch Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and focus on achieving that vibe. A propulsive adventurous feel.

Top Bottom