• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Purchase?

Which should I buy

• Steam Deck

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 38 58.5%

• Total voters

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Ok so, I'm ready to spend some money again. Just bought my OLED, have a PS5 and loving it, HOWEVER now comes to pass what I would like to buy next.

The xbox has a good selection of games, and gamepass seems to be a huge hit, especially who knows who they may acquire next. Granted the games I am looking forward to and least a few years out but I wouldn't mind playing third party games on it either. Also its a beast of machine emulation wise apparently from what I looked up (ps1, ps2, gamecube the works)

HOWEVER the Steam deck is pretty enticing as well. Can play games on the go, have a steam librarie, emulation machine as well. And hey who may not like "free" games every now and then. The one reason why I like the steam deck as well is it may be able to emulate Switch games, unlike the Series X I believe. Switch has some good games and nintendo would be high off their ass if they think I'm paying full price for games 5 years down the line.

Anyways, which one should I get?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Xbox if you want to make use of that OLED, the gamepass is great and means there's also something else to dive into, it allows you access to titles that normally might not appeal to you, but since there on the pass why not give them a shot?

You can find some gems that way you otherwise wouldent experience.

As for Steam Deck or Switch, I would go for Steam Deck all the way, since it's essentially giving you access to the steam library, if you don't already I would definitly recommend it... although given the size of PC games only the most expensive model makes sense due to its increased storage size.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You know there's a waiting list for the Steam Deck right? You probably won't be getting a new one at RRP until late into the year. Series X are much easier to find.

MiguelItUp

I think the Steam deck purchase all revolves around how often you're on the go, or how often you'd play on the go. That's the main reason I didn't get one. Do I want one? Most definitely! But I don't travel a whole lot, or get put in positions where I'd get much use out of it on the go. So, it made sense to skip it. Instead, I'm building a new PC, haha.

Mister Wolf

Series X. You will see the Steam Deck struggle with games like Starfield, Stalker 2, etc. Anything thats not crossgen. Do you really want to play those "next gen" games at 800p with low/medium settings?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm kinda doing a wait and see approach with the steam deck. Give em a chance to work out any kinks. Can't really go wrong with a Series X.

Rubik8

A new XsX is 690$CAD including taxes here, I found a 3 month old XsX with a headset, 9 games and a stand/charger for 750$CAD. How bad is it where you are?
Pretty much impossible unless you want a bundle or pay a scalper. I won’t do that or buy used. Series S is readily available, but not X.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Steam Deck

You can play all the Microsoft exclusive games, and a huge range of games that are PC only. Plus you can plug the Deck into a PC monitor, connect a KB&M and then use it as a mini PC!

Wait to see how things actually play out with the Steam Deck before placing a pre-order.

Also take a look at the games in game pass and see if their is anything you would actually want to play....

PS5 is set to have a lot of big games this year and you might find that holding off isn't a bad option especially since the steam deck isn't out yet.

Robb

Gold Member
Series X, mainly since the future for Xbox is looking really good imo.

The SteamDeck seems a lot more experimental and its future more unreliable. I’d wait to see how things go, then get the second iteration if it ever happens.

Kenpachii

Probably best to wait a bit with the steamdeck until we know it does everything its supposed to be doing. I would take the xbox. If you already have a PC or PS5, i would say steamdeck.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Steam Deck is not super powerful but would be a good companion to a proper PC. I think it would compare poorly to the PS5 when hooked up to your TV. Do you really see yourself playing it on the go?

Bragr

Banned
I would stay the hell away from Steam Deck for a while, wait until people have had it for a few months to figure out how good its really gonna be.

I would recommend stop being a pirate leech and get a Switch like a real fucking man.

It's time to usher in the pinnacle of the gaming experience.

b31c4ced285e73f40c884d009c5a7da6.png

BigBooper

Go for both. Get Series X and Gamepass for the games. Use the Steam Deck for streaming gamepass and pc.

Live a little.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Zero faith in Steam Deck being a great device despite having it preordered. XSX is the easy choice here.

Plantoid

I say get a Xsx

Steam deck is only useful for someone who travels a lot

If you're at home you never gonna pick it up

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox Series X. As others have said, take advantage of that nice OLED. XSX games look fantastic on mine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Do you want to play current games portably, or do you want to play next-gen games when those start coming for real? Because the Deck won't handle those very well, if at all.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
If you don't have a decent pc, get the series x first, if you do have a decent pc, the steam deck will be a nice little companion for it.

tmlDan

if you're not gonna get a good gaming PC get a series X, we know nothing about the steam decks future.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's basically down to your preference of portability vs. TV and optimal graphics.

Both can technically play Xbox games and Game Pass I guess.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking forward to seeing the steam deck in the wild so we can get a good grasp on how it performs. If it is really good I’ll pick one up. Need to see though.

I think the steam deck 2 will be amazing.

Top Bottom