• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next God Of War also coming to PS4 in addition to PS5 ? " Sorry. I've got nothing to say about that today" state Jim Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
mod edit: duplicate for the second time - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/jim-ryan-talks-pricing-cloud-and-exclusivity.1577537/#post-261166769

06wc6wpscvc1t64f0g9d.png

Sony’s messaging about next-gen PS5 exclusives has been inconsistent to say the least. Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan famously stated that the company “believes in generations” earlier this year, leading many to believe that most of their early PS5 titles would be exclusive to that console.
But then, only a couple months out from the PS5 launch, Sony did an about-face, quietly announcing games like Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West would also be coming to the PS4. Of course, the system still has its share of legit exclusives, including Demon’s Souls and the upcoming Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, but what about the game that’s sure to be Sony’s biggest of 2021…God of War Ragnarok?

Well, in a recent interview with The Telegraph, Jim Ryan was outright asked whether God of War Ragnarok would be PS5 exclusives, and the PlayStation CEO provided this unsatisfying answer…
"Sorry. I've got nothing to say about that today."
Boy, way to dodge the question, Jim. Of course, this doesn’t necessarily mean God of War Ragnarok will be crossgen, but you’d think Ryan would be happy to allay fears if it is indeed PS5 exclusive. Then again, there’s those who don’t have a PS5 yet that would likely be just as upset by an exclusivity announcement. There’s just no winning.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHaunter

TBH it looked amazing for a last-gen console. I'm sure it'll be enhanced on the PS5, but to what extent, hard to say.

I doubt it'll be as big a jump as Demon's Souls or Ratchet & Clank RA.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Of course it's coming to PS4. If it was coming to PS5 exclusively they would have said so on the reveal trailer and in interviews.

I have no problem with it, the previous gen wasn't holding back linear single player games in any way. People expecting these massively different games this generation are in for a rude shock. Game design and gameplay hasn't been stifled by power for a long time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why so serious? I have no problem with it being on PS4 as well .. they already said that upcoming games will be made from the ground on PS5 and they suddenly believed in generations lol so ...
Some next gen gamers don’t want games cross gen with old systems because it makes their new box less special.

Need that walled garden even within the same console brand.

The PS4 has sold over 110 million units worldwide. It's hard to ignore that many people. However, I would rather them just develop the game for PS5.

As Fake Fake said, I'm more concerned about Kratos. Sony has gone full on "woke" of late so I hope they don't F up the story or Kratos.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

It's for sure a cross gen game. That's how it's able to come out next year along with horizon supposedly.

You have about 2-3 years before you really even see what ps5 can do. This is going to be the longest generation by a long shot

Ps6 fall 2029

Last edited:
Fucking hell, it would be so disappointing if this title is cross-gen. Sure, it will be impressive regardless but nowhere near as much, please don't kill the potential.

Last edited:
TBH it looked amazing for a last-gen console. I'm sure it'll be enhanced on the PS5, but to what extent, hard to say.

I doubt it'll be as big a jump as Demon's Souls or Ratchet & Clank RA.

It will not utilise SSD the way it is promised.

Ultimate detailed world with SSD streaming assets as you turn around or walk across.

Otherwise would look spectacular on ps5 I am sure.

Tajaz2426

Gold Member
Doesn’t bother me at all. I’m sure it will look good on PS4 and look great on PS5. Folks get all bent out of shape for no reason. It’s a game.

Ten_Fold

Well, they probably took in account they might be on short supply for a lot longer than they originally thought, they just won’t have enough ps5’s in people house holds to justify only putting it on ps5. Honestly can see another big shut down in January which won’t help supplies either. Also that 100M install base is too good to pass up.

NullZ3r0

Banned
All that SSD speed just to be wasted on improved load times. All that CPU power only to be held back by a laptop CPU on the PS4. Well, at least it might have raytracing.

Looks like the true next gen experiences will be on Series X|S.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Of course it will come to PS4. Hard to ignore a 100+ million install base.

Yeah but when is the game coming out? If it's coming out next year than yeah I would agree. But by 2022 the number of people still using their PS4 will have dropped significantly and your gonna have a lot more PS5 users demanding a next gen only experience.

Last edited:

J____Av

Yeah but when is the game coming out? If it's coming out next year than yeah I would agree. But by 2022 the number of people still using their PS4 will have dropped significantly and your gonna have a lot more PS5 demanding a next gen only experience.

Its supposed to be 2021. So it will likely be on PS4 as well same as Horizon 2. Those are two of PS biggest games and no way they put them out so early in the gen on just one console

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm getting the same vibes as when he was asked about 1st party titles coming to PC back in the day, or the now infamous "we believe in generations", so yeah, his track record in contrary narratives is really bad, so fully expect next GoW to be on PS4.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its supposed to be 2021.
I bet you anything it won't make the 2021 release, If it was we would at very least see some CGI trailer instead of just logo. Nothing is impossible but I highly doubt this game will get released in 2021.

People keep parroting that "I believe in generations" but in the full context he wasn't talking about no cross-gen games. Read the entire quote, he's talking about things like 4K, ray-tracing, SSD, 60FPS and other "benefits" a new generation provides gamers.

EDMIX

Why so serious? I have no problem with it being on PS4 as well .. they already said that upcoming games will be made from the ground on PS5 and they suddenly believed in generations lol so ...

Pretty much. I feel because its been in development for years, I can't fault the team for having that version or something. It wasn't a ground up PS5 game to begin with then, nothing wrong if they go that route tbh. I'm ok with either situation tbh because God Of War 2018 looks sooooooo fucking good, them using the same hardware is no biggie. They will knock it out of the park.

Day 1 regardless of if its on PS4 and PS5 or only PS5.

Tomeru

It could be the other way around too.

Ps4 install base is still huge, maybe they expect to be able to play the next gow too, but sony intends to make it ps5 only.

Yoboman

Its sounding quite probable at this point. If it is, then so be it. I just don't want the PS5 ambitions compromised, its like making God of War 3 cross gen

I dont think Sony should worry about sales if its exclusive. They will sell for years as people buy the system

pasterpl

This plus the comment from someone at Sony that they plan to support PS4 for the next 3 years, means that ms might move to next gen only first. That is actually funny, I remember so many comments from boys in blue laughing at ms strategy to support xbone for next 2 years (it was said a year ago).

DonJimbo

If there is an upgrade path like Spiderman miles Morales I will get the PS4 version
Thank you Jimbo that you think about our wallets

SkylineRKR

Won't come if its past 2021. I think thats why they don't confirm nor deny right now.

Its 2022 by then. PS5 is readily available then, and most will jump ship. It might be 120m+ users on paper, but the console is pretty much dead by then and the software sales likely won't reflect this userbase anymore.

Stuart360

Gold Member
First off, GOW looks great at 60fps on PS5, and this will probably look a little better too.
Nothing wrong with this as all, and actually makes perfect sense. Its just after all the bile thrown at Xbox for numerous months over this, and how base consoles will hold back next gen blah blah, and then Sony announces they are going to do the same thing, then thats why some people are annoyed by this.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
First off, GOW looks great at 60fps on PS5, and this will probably look a little better too.
Nothing wrong with this as all, and actually makes perfect sense. Its just after all the bile thrown at Xbox for numerous months over this, and how base consoles will hold back next gen blah blah, and then Sony announces they are going to do the same thing, then thats why some people are annoyed by this.

PS4 will definitely hold back PS5 if the dev doesn't do extra work to polish the PS5 version enough. Travel speed will 100% be the biggest thing, but you can gimp graphics and and blurr to the PS4 version to minimize that which will result in a very bad experience on PS4.

All PS5 games so far are still using LOD's, and if Kratos aren't traveling in a lightning speed then it's manageable on PS4. When it goes to polygon streaming per frame phase, it's impossible to port it to PS4 without a massive hit.

Psos

Neo Member
A lot of people won't buy PS5 for a long time yet, that's normal. It was the same in the previous generations that the games for the new generation also released for the old one. Thats a mostly financially dictated decision.

The PS4 has sold over 110 million units worldwide. It's hard to ignore that many people. However, I would rather them just develop the game for PS5.

As Fake Fake said, I'm more concerned about Kratos. Sony has gone full on "woke" of late so I hope they don't F up the story or Kratos.
You want a gay Kraots?

Well sunshine, you'll get a gay Kratos and you'll love IT, BOY!!!

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
PS4 will definitely hold back PS5 if the dev doesn't do extra work to polish the PS5 version enough. Travel speed will 100% be the biggest thing, but you can gimp graphics and and blurr to the PS4 version to minimize that which will result in a very bad experience on PS4.

All PS5 games so far are still using LOD's, and if Kratos aren't traveling in a lightning speed then it's manageable on PS4. When it goes to polygon streaming per frame phase, it's impossible to port it to PS4 without a massive hit.
Well being cross gen means loading and fast travel etc, will probably be even faster on PS5, simply due to it being a 'PS4 game'.
As for LOD, its always going to be there, even if we ever get 50tf machines. Higer IO helps obviously but the gpu still has a render limit it has to keep.
I have a feeling this gen is going to be a long gen, maybe 8+ years. There will be 5+ years of next gen 'only' games. It will be all good in the end.

Rick Monster

Neo Member
So much depends on intangibles. What is the installed base of PS5? Will they be able to optimize it for the PS4 to their standards? Of course they want that luractive PS4 install base, but maybe if the PS5 hasn't been selling well, Sony will make it an exclusive. They wont commit to anything because so much is in the air right now. Covid has hidden effects. Would fuckers have lined up outside of stores more? These are business decisions that aren't interested in fanboy ire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom