• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next generation bioshock details emerge via job listings (Reboot)

tsumake

There are but they're not really related to the BS IdPol/SJW garbage of current day politics. They are there to tell the story not to pander or push propaganda. Bioshock does politics in games right. Let's hope the next installment can do the same.

Bioshock games generally explore the theme of lofty ideologies vs real practice (building a utopia underwater or on the clouds), and how they fail because of human nature and well, reality. Despite 2 being created by a different studio, this was really Ken Levine’s project, and he navigated tough subjects quite well. I don’t know if any of the old team is in involved in BS4 - if any of the narrative team is involved it could be fine, even good. In today’s climate, I wouldn’t be surprised if developers use the Bioshock franchise to make definitive statements, which would be a pity.

Personally, I loved Bioshock when it first came out, liked 2, but never found the time for Infinite. It’s on my to-do list.

Looking at Cloud Chamber’s Linkedin profile, I don’t see any familiar faces. It looks like a “new generation” team.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Bioshock games generally explore the theme of lofty ideologies vs real practice (building a utopia underwater or on the clouds), and how they fail because of human nature and well, reality. Despite 2 being created by a different studio, this was really Ken Levine’s project, and he navigated tough subjects quite well. I don’t know if any of the old team is in involved in BS4 - if any of the narrative team is involved it could be fine, even good. In today’s climate, I wouldn’t be surprised if developers use the Bioshock franchise to make definitive statements, which would be a pity.

Personally, I loved Bioshock when it first came out, liked 2, but never found the time for Infinite. It’s on my to-do list.

Looking at Cloud Chamber’s Linkedin profile, I don’t see any familiar faces. It looks like a “new generation” team.

The narrative in Bioshock 1 is IMO some of the best writing ever in a videogame the other 2 weren't nearly as good, but still far better than the majority of games. It would be heart-breaking if the next Bioshock were turned into some pandering SJW propaganda piece ala TLOU 2.

Last edited:

tsumake

The narrative in Bioshock 1 is IMO some of the best writing ever in a videogame the other 2 weren't nearly as good, but still far better than the majority of games. It would be heart-breaking if the next Bioshock were turned into some pandering SJW propaganda piece ala TLOU 2.

It was unusual for a nuanced narrative like Bioshock to exist in the AAA realm back in 2007. What confidence shall we have in the new team?

peronmls

Enjoyed the first 3 and that's all I need to get the games. If you are going to reboot it then just rename the game.

Kuranghi

jim carrey GIF

I'm waiting on the System Shock remasters to finally play them so maybe they did this but let me know how the map works in those game, ie it has cutoff points where you can't go back or you can go back through all the old areas and its interconnected and such.

I'd like the new Bioshock to not necessarily be a huge open world but be interconnected like I said above, even if you have to use a transport to travel between the areas do it seamlessly and let you see whats outside the conveyance. Its a small thing but goes a long way towards making it feel immersive, which I'd say is a major goal of these types of games.

It was one of the best things about Prey 2017, it was very cool being outside the station and travelling between the airlocks or using G.U.T.S to travel between areas internally, it still had transition points I think but it still felt like an open world. Hopefully they can use the power of next-gen™ to make travelling between areas without loading screens a reality.

Top Bottom