• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoran

I'm truly wondering where on this forum you've seen this. Sure some people (like me) have said the XSX will be more powerful, but that's nothing compared to the amount of people that hyped the SSD through the roof ever since the UE5 demo. I've seen this a couple of times, that Sony fans have this weird perception on what is happening as if they are in the minority, and most posts aren't mostly positive about the PS5.

There is definitely a significant proportion of xbox fans who believe it is a stone cold fact that SX is significantly superior to PS5 and furthermore are obviously invested in this "truth". There are a few on here and Reset Era - I don't want to name names and get into some bun fight. But on twitter there are loads.

In contrast PS5 fans believe the SSD will make up the difference to some degree, but they are not - IMO - invested in superiority.

While I think SX is likely to be an overall more powerful games console, I don't think it's a fact - because it's not a fact - the differential is small enough that it can be countered by a more efficient architecture, and the PS5 potentially could deliver on that - but if I had to bet money I'd say it won't, might change my mind after tomorrow mind 😁

sircaw

Banned
I'm truly wondering where on this forum you've seen this. Sure some people (like me) have said the XSX will be more powerful, but that's nothing compared to the amount of people that hyped the SSD through the roof ever since the UE5 demo. I've seen this a couple of times, that Sony fans have this weird perception on what is happening as if they are in the minority, and most posts aren't mostly positive about the PS5.

Are you kidding me, you have not seen people go on about the power of the x, and the fud list that we had about the ps5. Are you seriously wanting me to post that fud list again? Where have you been for the last 3 months,

You have not heard i am buying the xbox because that where multiplats will perform best, i don't care about exclusives. You have not heard that a lot on this forum?

Are you seriously missing a bunch of over-aggressive xbox fans that go around like clockwork and try to downplay the ps5 or any of its capabilities, i hate to step outside this particular thread at times for that exact reason.

Go read through the Tlou remasted pre ps5 thread and just look at the usual suspects in there moaning about the improvement or throwing shade on it, i can count a couple of dickhead comments on the first page. Open your eyes, these are the same people that love the power narrative and they are everywhere.

As for the ssd, A revolutionary new ssd that is/faster than anything was met by memes and lols on day one from scores of xbox fans trying to turn it into the butt end of a joke.

Let's put it in context, 12 tflop gpu, what can you get on the pc's market right now? 20, 25 tflops more or less.
Can you get a faster ssd on pc than the ps5 one, no its revolutionary, so when you say people were excited, damn right they were/are. According to some developers that ssd is going to fundamentally change the way how games are made in the future. If that does not get your juices going then i don't know what will.

And here's a quote from another xbox fanatic just yesterday.

It's on bae!
Oh you went from parity to a huge gap? Seems like someone getting soft down there :messenger_sunglasses:

Anyway, my predictions over the gen, Series X will get up to 35% advantage over PS5, not sure if that's huge for you. But that's my score card down.

For the sake of peace, i am not going to mention people's names, but there are a lot of them on this forum, just as i bat for ps5, there are also another shed load of other Fruit cakes on the other side spouting bullshit.

these people exist, they are living among us. You need to remember this is going months and months back, a lot of people have been banned on both sides of the argument.

Do you remember that idiot the great white shark or that Meril guy?

Last edited:

MistBreeze

maybe the xbox series x will be the more powerful by some frames here and there or extra 15% resolution or holding 4k better in dynamic games

but, so what

that will not change the fact that ps5 has the best exclusive games and a better launch line up by a land side

people focus it is a console people will not buy series x and lose all ps5 games just to some power advantage as they can play 3d party on ps5 and most people don't have money to buy both

remember the ps2 defeated gamecube and xbox original despite the gamecube is about twice powerful and xbox 3 times powerful it all comes to game catalogue and exclusives

MistBreeze

I might add something

people who will buy only series x don't get ur hopes up about huge AAA first party exclusives

cause microsoft game pass business model coinsides with that
you can not develop a multi million hundreds dollars game and put it on game pass for like free and no microsoft can not earn enough money to cover one game let alone all AAA games from a subscription fee of 15 dollar a month
man some games can not cover their expenses with million copies sold for 60 dollar
get real

Last edited:

nosseman

maybe the xbox series x will be the more powerful by some frames here and there or extra 15% resolution or holding 4k better in dynamic games

but, so what

that will not change the fact that ps5 has the best exclusive games and a better launch line up by a land side

people focus it is a console people will not buy series x and lose all ps5 games just to some power advantage as they can play 3d party on ps5 and most people don't have money to buy both

remember the ps2 defeated gamecube and xbox original despite the gamecube is about twice powerful and xbox 3 times powerful it all comes to game catalogue and exclusives

There are more things than a little better GFX and exclusive games.

I am still undecided and will probably not get any system this year but the thing that make me consider Xbox Series X is Gamepass.

I have owned PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and the one thing that is the same is when I buy a game for $60-70 and then play them 1-5 hours and then never play them again.

I would much rather have a subscription model like Gamepass that give me many games and if I download the new Elder Scrolls game or Halo and play 1 hour and get bored - it does not matter. The game was included in the service and there are many more games to try.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I might add something

people who will buy only series x don't get ur hopes up about huge AAA first party exclusives

you can not develop a multi million hundreds dollars game and put it on game pass for like free and no microsoft can not earn enough money to cover one game let alone all AAA games from a subscription fee of 15 dollar a month
man some games can not cover their expenses with million copies sold for 60 dollar
get real
Yeah because games from studios like 343i, The Coalition, Bethesda have been known to not be huge AAA titles... Not to mention they even stuck a non-existing AAAA label on The Initiative.

MistBreeze

There are more things than a little better GFX and exclusive games.

I am still undecided and will probably not get any system this year but the thing that make me consider Xbox Series X is Gamepass.

I have owned PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and the one thing that is the same is when I buy a game for $60-70 and then play them 1-5 hours and then never play them again.

I would much rather have a subscription model like Gamepass that give me many games and if I download the new Elder Scrolls game or Halo and play 1 hour and get bored - it does not matter. The game was included in the service and there are many more games to try.
OK, this is your preference
If u don't care about owning ur game and if u don't want to play a specific game and only play what microsoft cherry pick for u and when u want to replay a game after it leaves the service u will be forced to buy

and be ware most 3rd party publishers will not put there games in game pass maybe after 2 years some will for a month

on my opinion only buy what u need and leave what you do not <<<< you only build a backlog and for some not urgent games wait for a sale it always works for decades why people against it now??

game pass will only limit AAA scope and gaming in general

and like jim rayan said that business model can not sustain AAA developed games

nosseman

I might add something

get real

Why not?

Big exclusive games draws subscribers and the retention rate is pretty high. 1 million new subscribers to Gamepass and that is 180 million per YEAR. 3 million new subscribers is 540 million a YEAR.

There are now 15 million subscribers to Gamepass and it is rising pretty fast. I would not be surprised if there are 30 million subscribers in 1-2 years.

Growth in subscription services year after year also drives stock prices which are made to make acquisitions.

People rarely cancel subscriptions - especially if its 10-15 dollars per month.

Yes I think so, the only advantage I can recall so far is in PS5's favour with RT having to be patched in post launch for SX with DMC. Are there any better specced games for SX so far?

If this holds up till launch then it will be time to get the 🍿out.
If you look at the PC space, 18% stronger GPUs give a negligible advantage. Add some other advantages that PS5 have and all the power difference is gone. For example, the caches on PS5 have higher bandwidth ( probably larger caches too) which reduces ram bandwidth advantage. You will end up with same 3rd party games at same resolution but few drops here and there depending on if a process needs more cores or faster single cores. There will be some games that will show wierd performance on each console such as Yakuza and other Japanese games ( Japanese games have some of the worst and weirdest graphics engines. Not counting RE which is good)

I/O and Geometry engine will appear later in the genration but could be beneficial for 1st party games only.

MistBreeze

Yeah because games from studios like 343i, The Coalition, Bethesda have been known to not be huge AAA titles... Not to mention they even stuck a non-existing AAAA label on The Initiative.
OK you saw what happened to halo infinite with a game pass cheap engine and wanting it to be free to play game as a service model
and bethesda only joined game pass recently,, and initiative is just talk for now

you just wait in 10 million most 20 million developed games at best

and if they wanted big scope games they will raise the subscription fee and the service will come useless

either way lose lose

microsoft is not charity wake up

quest

Not Banned from OT
I might add something

get real
Yes I am sure obsidian entertainment is spending 5 years to make tiny RPG ffs. The concern trolling over gamepass is so over the top. Yes all gamepass first party games will be 2d games since Microsoft can't afford to put any money into a gamepass title.

Here is a new screenshot from Hellbade 2 that was smuggled out of ninja theory.

ZzLNlZi.jpg

Last edited:

MistBreeze

Why not?

Big exclusive games draws subscribers and the retention rate is pretty high. 1 million new subscribers to Gamepass and that is 180 million per YEAR. 3 million new subscribers is 540 million a YEAR.

There are now 15 million subscribers to Gamepass and it is rising pretty fast. I would not be surprised if there are 30 million subscribers in 1-2 years.

Growth in subscription services year after year also drives stock prices which are made to make acquisitions.

People rarely cancel subscriptions - especially if its 10-15 dollars per month.
Im with you this is the sum revenue of the service
microsoft has many expenses to cover this is rarely cover the expenses of one to 3 AAA games

microsoft pay money to all games put on the service millions of millions and let alone expenses for their first party developed games

they can not afford to develop a 100 million 5 games a year and give u that for 15 dollar a month

microsoft is not a charity u will live and see

geordiemp

We still dont know what the relative performance is for different games and engines, what will be patched, what will work in Ps5 boost mode and which games wont and some strange arrangement. People getting excited as Sony always use the wording upto since the legal contest in USA and probably ask others to as well - its stanard wording..

Same appies for XSX, games like Arkham will they be 900p on XSX and 1080p on Ps5 or will they get uplifted from the limits and caps. Not every game will, its nothing to get excited about and some games will get love, others ignored.

And regarding SSD, we said that Sony first part upclose detauil would be enhanced. And we already see that, timestamped - so its already been shown what fast streaming can do for upclose texture detail

I am sure we will see some XSX examples.....but I dont recall many games last gen having such upclose insane detail...

Last edited:

Okamiden

Guys, do you have moments when you stop and think on what kind of shit you waste your time, which will never get back to you? Like seriously discussing how much fps in shitty games like PUBG, speculate what generation of rdna each console uses and so on? Isn't it sad?

Nothing bad in occasional console wars, but the type of things discussed here with dozens of posts really impressed me in a bad way.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

Yes I am sure obsidian entertainment is spending 5 years to make tiny RPG ffs. The concern trolling over gamepass is so over the top. Yes all gamepass first party games will be 2d games since Microsoft can't afford to put any money into a gamepass title.

Here is a new screenshot from Hellbade 2 that was smuggled out of ninja theory.

ZzLNlZi.jpg
don't be triggered for nothing man

I did not say microsoft will develop 2d games

but do not expect games on the scope of horizon or miles morales or TLOU or GTA or even call of duty

they are multi hundreds million developed game can not cover there expenses unless it is several million copies sold for 60 dollars for each game

this is a business model all console makers and publishers agree on for dacades

the gaming industry can not sustain any model else
microsoft can not come this late and say all is wrong and all is unticonsumer for selling 60 dollars game

microsoft is not charity and can not burn money for xbox like nothing

either way do not expect games on scope of sony and Nintendo flagships in this business model

Last edited:
don't be triggered for nothing man

I did not say microsoft will develop 2d games

but do not expect games on the scope of horizon or miles morales or TLOU or GTA or even call of duty

they are multi hundreds million developed game can not cover there expenses unless it is several million copies sold for 60 dollars for each game

this is a business model all console makers and publishers agree on for dacades

the gaming industry can not sustain any model else
microsoft can not come this late and say all is wrong and all is unticonsumer for selling 60 dollars game

microsoft is not charity and can not burn money for xbox like nothing

either way do not expect games on scope of sony and Nintendo flagships in this business model

You are rambling now and have no idea how the industry is progressing and the barriers to continued sustainability with in the gaming medium.
You ignore the development time required and how that development model has had to change as technological advancement out strips development and a major reason why most are moving to a live service.

Gaming industry if it has not already is heading the same way as the movie industry and game pass is no different than Netflix or Amazon prime and like it or not is huge selling point for the current targeted demographic and will play a pivotal role this coming gen.

MistBreeze

I want to talk about something

subscription services is double edge sword

it can not cover expenses - rarely they turn a profit - for the provider and it is very expensive on the consumer

you may say it is only 15 a dollar a month but u will be forced to pay 180 dollar minimum a year to access a library not necessarily u want to play a game on every month

but u can pay for one game or two games a year or 5 depending on your financial situation but games u r really want day one play with the community online and live the hype for waiting release dat - not game pass release date - and own for ur life

and add other monthly subs like netflix and spotify and game pass and it become 100 dollar or more on u monthly it is expensive

and why people here in consoles space and AAA game landscape want free low cost gaming

there is mobile phones for that

people who concentrate on low scope free games should go to other platforms

it is known console base and community demand GTA , Red dead , BOTW, Mario Odyssey , TLOU .... etc scope games

otherwise they will go to mobile

MistBreeze

You are rambling now and have no idea how the industry is progressing and the barriers to continued sustainability with in the gaming medium.
You ignore the development time required and how that development model has had to change as technological advancement out strips development and a major reason why most are moving to a live service.

Gaming industry if it has not already is heading the same way as the movie industry and game pass is no different than Netflix or Amazon prime and like it or not is huge selling point for the current targeted demographic and will play a pivotal role this coming gen.
keep preaching what microsoft want u to belive

all is wrong microsoft is right ,,, live the dream

u will see the sale numbers

and u will now the DEMOGRAPHIC want AAA scope gaming not Netflix gaming

microsoft always axe there services for a reason

cause they can not see the market needs

apple and google forced them out of mobile market ,,, why?

twitch forced them form streaming market,,,, why?

sony and Nintendo defeated them in video games market,,, why?

where is Microsoft money

the problem is not the money the problem is microsoft wrong vision and perception to entertainment medium

Last edited:
I really hate the AAAA thing. I just want The Initiative to have a fair shake at their first game w/o the stupid ass marketing dept setting some weird ass expectations.

zubairali2

i mean theres no way a 12tf console cant make a game like the ones you listed. it could be even better but i'd give it a few years before we really start to see next gen games at their prime.

SSfox

Aye, all i know is i am looking at parity. The only reason i harp on is, one. i am a Drama queen and two, i have been told for months now just how much better the xbox is in power.

Xbox is meant to be crushing the ps5 in performance, all the fud, all the lies, all the constant bullshit by people on this forum has slowly been eroding away. We are now left with reality.

Better engineering + design vs larger specced machine.
Innovation vs standard.

I think it's still too early to make conclusions, at least let's see how games will run in both during first 6 months. But so far indeed it doesn't seem to be much difference, and I suspect XSX will end up struggling hardcore when 3rd party games will be ps5 lead dev platform and take full advantage on the ssd i/o architecture.

MistBreeze

i mean theres no way a 12tf console cant make a game like the ones you listed. it could be even better but i'd give it a few years before we really start to see next gen games at their prime.
the series x is more than capable to show great games, better than most even

but with this business model NOPE

anyway why wait many years to see next gen games

you can buy a ps5 and see next gen AAA scope games with ray tracing this november in less than 3 weeks

promises ,,, promises from 2013 until now and nothing just wait falks until 2023 for promise anniversary

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Are you kidding me, you have not seen people go on about the power of the x, and the fud list that we had about the ps5. Are you seriously wanting me to post that fud list again? Where have you been for the last 3 months,

You have not heard i am buying the xbox because that where multiplats will perform best, i don't care about exclusives. You have not heard that a lot on this forum?

Are you seriously missing a bunch of over-aggressive xbox fans that go around like clockwork and try to downplay the ps5 or any of its capabilities, i hate to step outside this particular thread at times for that exact reason.

Go read through the Tlou remasted pre ps5 thread and just look at the usual suspects in there moaning about the improvement or throwing shade on it, i can count a couple of dickhead comments on the first page. Open your eyes, these are the same people that love the power narrative and they are everywhere.

As for the ssd, A revolutionary new ssd that is/faster than anything was met by memes and lols on day one from scores of xbox fans trying to turn it into the butt end of a joke.

Let's put it in context, 12 tflop gpu, what can you get on the pc's market right now? 20, 25 tflops more or less.
Can you get a faster ssd on pc than the ps5 one, no its revolutionary, so when you say people were excited, damn right they were/are. According to some developers that ssd is going to fundamentally change the way how games are made in the future. If that does not get your juices going then i don't know what will.

It's on bae!
Oh you went from parity to a huge gap? Seems like someone getting soft down there :messenger_sunglasses:

Anyway, my predictions over the gen, Series X will get up to 35% advantage over PS5, not sure if that's huge for you. But that's my score card down.

For the sake of peace, i am not going to mention people's names, but there are a lot of them on this forum, just as i bat for ps5, there are also another shed load of other Fruit cakes on the other side spouting bullshit.

these people exist, they are living among us. You need to remember this is going months and months back, a lot of people have been banned on both sides of the argument.

well said mate

MastaKiiLA

Guys, do you have moments when you stop and think on what kind of shit you waste your time, which will never get back to you? Like seriously discussing how much fps in shitty games like PUBG, speculate what generation of rdna each console uses and so on? Isn't it sad?

Nothing bad in occasional console wars, but the type of things discussed here with dozens of posts really impressed me in a bad way.
The calm before the storm. This seems like idle banter to fill the voids between info drops. There're a lot of Sony fans here, and it seems like we have another 10 days until something meaningful. I don't think tomorrow's unboxing is very interesting. I just want to hear about the games, which is the 6th of next month.

gmoran

the series x is more than capable to show great games, better than most even

but with this business model NOPE

anyway why wait many years to see next gen games

you can buy a ps5 and see next gen AAA scope games with ray tracing this november in less than 3 weeks

promises ,,, promises from 2013 until now and nothing just wait falks until 2023 for promise anniversary

You seem to have a very rigid viewpoint on this! It's not that I don't see some of where you are coming from but your certainty is bordering on the religious.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

So because of a legal issue Sony has to say up to 60fps on PUBG but the same doesn't apply to Microsoft? How come?
let xbox hold 60 fps
and ps5 drop to 50 in stress test

so what , it will not affect gameplay

at least they have spiderman and demons souls with ray tracing at launch let alone sack boy destruction all stars all first part day one
with ratchet and horizon and maybe gt7 on launch window

and in xbox series x launch day???
yes game pass is there launch title flagship ,,,, it is a joke ,,,, first console in history with no launch line up

gmoran

If you look at the PC space, 18% stronger GPUs give a negligible advantage. Add some other advantages that PS5 have and all the power difference is gone. For example, the caches on PS5 have higher bandwidth ( probably larger caches too) which reduces ram bandwidth advantage. You will end up with same 3rd party games at same resolution but few drops here and there depending on if a process needs more cores or faster single cores. There will be some games that will show wierd performance on each console such as Yakuza and other Japanese games ( Japanese games have some of the worst and weirdest graphics engines. Not counting RE which is good)

I/O and Geometry engine will appear later in the genration but could be beneficial for 1st party games only.

This is all definitely possible - see my reply to x-fighter where I state something similar - but my experience with the last 4 generations is that the console with the most powerful GPU ends up being technically the best console.

geordiemp

So because of a legal issue Sony has to say up to 60fps on PUBG but the same doesn't apply to Microsoft? How come?

Sony always use upto now, not too sure what 3rd parties do in every case.

We have the american legal system to thank for that. You can read into word choice whatever you wish.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

This is all definitely possible - see my reply to x-fighter where I state something similar - but my experience with the last 4 generations is that the console with the most powerful gpu

You seem to have a very rigid viewpoint on this! It's not that I don't see some of where you are coming from but your certainty is bordering on the religious.

Im sorry if I seem like this ,,, but it is beyond me how cab some people defend a company provide a console with no launch line up and no compelling exclusive it is beyond me

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member
It is all about liability, no one wants to get sued for a single frame drop because the game said it will run AT 60FPS and not UP TO 60FPS; they are choosing (wisely, I would say) to cover themselves in case anyone FUDs their way into unnecessary and illegitimate lawsuits.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

It's on bae!

MtZ9N.gif

Seph-

Huh. I see we've come full circle again on the performance narrative. Cool. Great. Have i ever told you the definition of insanity?

But on a different note, not sure why ppl are putting weight into locked at or up to 60fps. Doesn't really mean much at all. PubG has and probably always will be an unoptimized mess imo.

GreyHand23

Anyone else buying the disc version of ps5 but still going all digital?

That would be me. I really didn't have a choice. Got a PS5 on Target online and that's all they had. Got another one for a friend by standing in line at Gamestop and I was the last person to get one. There were still another 50+ people in line. There weren't alot of digital PS5s in the first place. Ratio was probably 80% Disc/20% Digital.

buenoblue

I've got my ps5 preorder coming and am very excited. Will be using my pc for xbox stuff. Got sick of the other site so haven't bin here for ages but surely people can't believe the ps5 is gonna out perform series x? I mean there using the same architecture and series x gpu is at least 20% faster. That's before any ps5 downclocking. I mean you can do great thing with 10 tetaflops so it really doesn't matter but really, come on now.

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member
I mostly got the PS5 Disc Edition after getting my first 4K TV but not having anything to play my 4K Blu-Rays; so, not only will the PS5 be one of my first native 4K gaming experiences but will also allow me to watch Blade Runner 2049 and other amazingly beautiful movies in a quality I have never experienced in my own home before!

gmoran

Im sorry if I seem like this ,,, but it is beyond me how cab some people defend a company provide a console with no launch line up and no compelling exclusive it is beyond me

Some people think MS's vision for next gen bests aligns with their interests - seems reasonable to me. Personally I'm getting a PS5 because 95% of everything I play is VR and I don't get on with gaming PCs, so XS was never an option for me.

I think we are fortunate this gen that both companies have a strong vision for next gen and both technical designs look excellent - I don't think either have dropped a bollock, unlike the previous 2 generations. MS obviously not on such firm ground from a software perspective, but still looks a good value proposition over time.

OsirisBlack

Banned
That would be me. I really didn't have a choice. Got a PS5 on Target online and that's all they had. Got another one for a friend by standing in line at Gamestop and I was the last person to get one. There were still another 50+ people in line. There weren't alot of digital PS5s in the first place. Ratio was probably 80% Disc/20% Digital.
I’ve got a few of them preordered all disc versions. Kind of fucked up how GameStop handled the situation I know a few employees that snatched up almost all of their stores inventory.

RaZoR No1

I even plan to remove the disc drive, as soon the warranty is over (if the system works without one, with or without hacking) ...
So I can use the DE Side Plates, which are more beautiful and elegant

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
OK you saw what happened to halo infinite with a game pass cheap engine and wanting it to be free to play game as a service model
and bethesda only joined game pass recently,, and initiative is just talk for now

you just wait in 10 million most 20 million developed games at best

and if they wanted big scope games they will raise the subscription fee and the service will come useless

either way lose lose

microsoft is not charity wake up
Cool that you quickly skipped The Coalition, not to mention that Playground and Turn 10 have made AAA titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom