• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcaneNLSC

Looks like arsehole Jeff Money Grubb really wants to work for Microsoft. In his latest video, "he tests" the terrible Xbox pubicG port on the XSX vs XB1X and, oh boy ...at one point he literally stands still, staring at the floor on the XSX copy and claims "much better framerate", 60fps locked while on the XB1X he of course is looking straight (45fps).

The copy looks shit on the next gen console. Shitty textures, less objects and a perma fog over the map? Not sure if there´s a day, night change ... yet, he still had to "cheat" to make the XSX copy look better.

Whoa seriously why does the XBOX Series X version look so past gen not 1 gen behind but 2

As per PUBG themselves, XSX version will run at 60fps while PS5 will run up to 60fps. Looks like in real world tests of other games specially open world one's XSX will hold it's fps.

https://www.pubg.com/2020/10/26/pubg-on-xbox-series-x-s-and-playstation-5/

NfGgwLN.png

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
2 more weeks!

3 more for the uk :(
That extra week is going to be torture. But I remember waiting for months or years for consoles to launch over here, so can't complain too much.

One way to look at it is that it will help us lot plan the ultimate launch day experience, we will hit the ground running with better knowledge of:
  • Which launch games are the best
  • Which B/C games perform best and are worth trying out
  • Most effective strategy for transferring games between PS4 and PS5
  • Which M2 SSDs actually work as extended native PS5 storage (hopefully)

As per PUBG themselves, XSX version will run at 60fps while PS5 will run up to 60fps. Looks like in real world tests of other games specially open world one's XSX will hold it's fps.

https://www.pubg.com/2020/10/26/pubg-on-xbox-series-x-s-and-playstation-5/

NfGgwLN.png

From the article itself.

PlayStation 5 will leverage the PlayStation 4 Pro build. By selecting the Framerate Priority option*, the game will run up to 60 FPS.

*Framerate Priority option releases on live servers for Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro with the October 9.1 Update.

After rigorous testing, we’re pleased to say that the game performance is extremely smooth and stable, with faster loading and little to no frame drops thanks to the power of next-gen.

We will have to wait and see if Dealers 40-50FPs claims are true.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Certain people after the XSX backwards compatibility tests have been posting screenshots of Sekiro and Hitman 2 where they didn't hit locked 60fps, claiming this was a problem with XSX and PS5 would manage it easily.

I told them to hold their horses.

gmoran

/

You know if Jason Schreier is correct and xbox does in fact have the inferior machine, i wonder where that leaves Microsoft in terms of this generation.

Having an inferior console and no exclusives for a few good years is one hell of a battering. Maybe we will see a new revised console with better specs for them to compete. Perhaps another reduction in price, 50 bucks or so in price.

Will Microsft be happy to play second fiddle for the next 4 years?

I know you are not entirely being serious with this post, but it seems to me that the chances of the XSX actually being less powerful than the PS5 is a low probability case. What is more likely is that software tooling has given the PS5 an early leg-up.

It's possible PS5 architecture does end up being superior as an overall "pipeline" for playing advanced games, but we don't have the evidence to justify that position yet, history also tends to favour brute power, so not what I'm expecting.

If I had to bet money my prediction would be that XSX is more powerful but not significantly so; with multi-platform games more likely to be native 4K, have a higher average dynamic resolution or a higher base resolution for reconstructed 4K; but also that PS5 might have the most impressive first party titles due to the pedigree of their first parties and leveraging that astonishing SSD and I/O.

It would be fun though if the first batch of games were to lean in Sony's direction - there is a proportion of xbox fans who seem very "invested" in XSX being significantly more powerful than PS5 - so would love to see them having to deal with that reality.

Nowcry

From the article itself.

We will have to wait and see if Dealers 40-50FPs claims are true.

both speak of dynamic resolution solutions. It doesn't make sense to me that they don't run at 60fps, I guess the fps could range from 58-60fps. It would be necessary to measure the drops in resolution caused.

reksveks

Same thing. It’s using the exact same profiles as current-gen. They’ll likely patch it later to bring it up to next-gen standards.

I know that but if there was a small differential before and that differential has increased or decreased then it might suggest a bit more in terms of BC performance for the next gen consoles. I can't wait for the first proper 3rd party game comparisons, I know people are waiting for the cyberpunk 2077 update but given my rtx 3080 ain't coming any time soon then a next gen console is going to be the place i will end up playing it.

Man,

Its hard to believe we're only two and a half weeks away. It still feels like an eternity, even with folks receiving review systems, because they are embargoed. So there's more waiting for information.

Still hoping to hear about PS Now and more UI features maybe this week. Also, I'm really interested in Boost Mode or overall BC for PS4.

Seems the games that got those "bug fix" patches got a lot more than that(at least first party) in prep for PS5.

bitbydeath

I know that but if there was a small differential before and that differential has increased or decreased then it might suggest a bit more in terms of BC performance for the next gen consoles. I can't wait for the first proper 3rd party game comparisons, I know people are waiting for the cyberpunk 2077 update but given my rtx 3080 ain't coming any time soon then a next gen console is going to be the place i will end up playing it.

No difference. Performance is exactly the same. It’s a 1:1 transition from current-gen.

Dibils2k

if you have no preference in terms of controller or trophies then getting Xbox version of Cyberpunk is just more sensible, since for sure the resolution will be higher on One X than PS4 Pro...and i expect both to hit the max of their FPS limit (whatever that may be) when running on SeriesX/PS5

Last edited:

Mr Moose

if you have no preference in terms of controller or trophies then getting Xbox version of Cyberpunk is just more sensible, since for sure the resolution will be higher on One X than PS4 Pro...and i expect both to hit the max of their FPS limit (whatever that may be) when running on SeriesX/PS5
Cyberpunk is getting a Series X/PS5 patch day one, just not the next gen version until later.
No, this seems like a term from Sony to use the wording "up to". This way they avoid any crazy legal issue when fps drops from 60 to 59.9

1920x1080-vtime-2-06-take-2020-10-26-05-07-45.png

That's not locked 60! GET MY LAWYER ON THE PHONE!

Last edited:

Allandor

Cyberpunk is getting a Series X/PS5 patch day one, just not the next gen version until later.

1920x1080-vtime-2-06-take-2020-10-26-05-07-45.png

That's not locked 60! GET MY LAWYER ON THE PHONE!
it's completely unlocked ^^. So not really better than before, just more frames. VRR needed ;)

The game just uses the xbox one x performance mode on series x and PS4 Pro performance mode on PS5. I really hope they increase resolution and detail, because last time I tried that game it was really running with an awful low resolution on my xb1x.
This is not really a console friendly title. They really need to update their unreal engine build and optimize the game much more. But well, it is not my kind of game, even though I play Fortnite from time to time with my wife and kids.

Mr Moose

What will the patch entail?

"I can confirm this is not the final update," CD Projekt exec Michał Nowakowski said. "At some point we will have a more robust update for next-gen which we plan to give free of charge to anyone who purchases the PS4 or Xbox One version.

"But in any case you will be able to play the game on next-gen from 19th November when the game releases and it will look better than on current-gen from that moment as well."

It'll be 30fps, I think.

Dibils2k

I asked for evidence on this and all i got was a quote talking about a free UPGRADE on day one, as in upgrade from current gen to next gen... not a patch that is gonna give game better resolution/frames

but i would gladly be proven wrong if you can provide a link to where they say they will have a day one patch that will improve performance compared to OneX/PS4Pro

Mr Moose

I asked for evidence on this and all i got was a quote talking about a free UPGRADE on day one, as in upgrade from current gen to next gen... not a patch that is gonna give game better resolution/frames

but i would gladly be proven wrong if you can provide a link to where they say they will have a day one patch that will improve performance compared to OneX/PS4Pro
They said it will "Look better". Didn't give much details other than that.

sircaw

Banned
I know you are not entirely being serious with this post, but it seems to me that the chances of the XSX actually being less powerful than the PS5 is a low probability case. What is more likely is that software tooling has given the PS5 an early leg-up.

It's possible PS5 architecture does end up being superior as an overall "pipeline" for playing advanced games, but we don't have the evidence to justify that position yet, history also tends to favour brute power, so not what I'm expecting.

If I had to bet money my prediction would be that XSX is more powerful but not significantly so; with multi-platform games more likely to be native 4K, have a higher average dynamic resolution or a higher base resolution for reconstructed 4K; but also that PS5 might have the most impressive first party titles due to the pedigree of their first parties and leveraging that astonishing SSD and I/O.

It would be fun though if the first batch of games were to lean in Sony's direction - there is a proportion of xbox fans who seem very "invested" in XSX being significantly more powerful than PS5 - so would love to see them having to deal with that reality.

Aye, all i know is i am looking at parity. The only reason i harp on is, one. i am a Drama queen and two, i have been told for months now just how much better the xbox is in power.

Xbox is meant to be crushing the ps5 in performance, all the fud, all the lies, all the constant bullshit by people on this forum has slowly been eroding away. We are now left with reality.

Better engineering + design vs larger specced machine.
Innovation vs standard.

So far they both have same resolution and framerate.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Aye, all i know is i am looking at parity. The only reason i harp on is, one. i am a Drama queen and two, i have been told for months now just how much better the xbox is in power.

Xbox is meant to be crushing the ps5 in performance, all the fud, all the lies, all the constant bullshit by people on this forum has slowly been eroding away. We are now left with reality.

Better engineering + design vs larger specced machine.
Innovation vs standard.
I'm truly wondering where on this forum you've seen this. Sure some people (like me) have said the XSX will be more powerful, but that's nothing compared to the amount of people that hyped the SSD through the roof ever since the UE5 demo. I've seen this a couple of times, that Sony fans have this weird perception on what is happening as if they are in the minority, and most posts aren't mostly positive about the PS5.

gmoran

So far they both have same resolution and framerate.

Yes I think so, the only advantage I can recall so far is in PS5's favour with RT having to be patched in post launch for SX with DMC. Are there any better specced games for SX so far?

If this holds up till launch then it will be time to get the 🍿out.

martino

That extra week is going to be torture. But I remember waiting for months or years for consoles to launch over here, so can't complain too much.

One way to look at it is that it will help us lot plan the ultimate launch day experience, we will hit the ground running with better knowledge of:
  • Which launch games are the best
  • Which B/C games perform best and are worth trying out
  • Most effective strategy for transferring games between PS4 and PS5
  • Which M2 SSDs actually work as extended native PS5 storage (hopefully)
the extra week is perfect.
Most questions and concern will be responded with real world usage.
you can dream of a better place imo.
if everything is fine i will have my unit , if something is wrong i just need to click a cancel button during that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom