• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
Could be anything, derivates could mean PC mobile parts, APUs, consoles. He was vague enough to not mean anything.

Could also mean ps5 cache coherency and cache scrubbers give some of the infinity cache benefits and neither console has it.

Could be one or both consoles has L1 infinity cache but not a big L2 cache.

Or both do. Take your pick. Wish I knew.

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY FACE< ITS MEANS ITS ON THE PS5, IF it's NOT I AM DOING A DRIVE BY.

FunkMiller

I am conflicted: should I get the Remaster+MM or just MM and play the PS4 version in BC? I still have to play the game myselft (major lack of time), so I can go either way, really.

I'm just going to buy MM. The upgrades to the original just aren't worth the extra dosh. But then, I played the shit out of the first game when it came out, if I'd never played it before I might think different.

geordiemp

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY FACE< ITS MEANS ITS ON THE PS5, IF it's NOT I AM DOING A DRIVE BY.

If it makes you happy, the only evidence we have is Ps5 Sony games are doing BVH ray tracing at low performance costs.

This suggests at least some clever caching as that would speed up BVH by upto 50 % according to the AMD patent. But its Sony first party, they often find their own clever tricks so its not clear.

Last edited:

Zadom

I dont care which Hitman it is, its irrelevant, 5700 ran the same game better is the point being made. could be Hitman 10,000, what difference does it make its the same game.

My 120 FPS comment applies to ps5 games as well, all console games, please dont do IF the trade off is poor visuals. I dont care what mode is what. You seem to miss the point made every singe time.
Geordiemp, I think these guys hate you. If they ever get into a position of power in real life, you are screwed.
EYlJuRB.jpg

Sinthor

Gold Member
I've been having thoughts on the ray tracing capabilities of the PS5. A lot of us have been looking at games like Spiderman Miles Morales and thought "this is what we expect from next gen ray-tracing" and that "we expect low levels of ray-tracing on the PS5 and Series X". I would disagree, personally the fact that we are seeing ray-tracing this early in games like Spiderman Miles Morales is very promising, from what I understand ray-tracing implementation is not simple and takes time, it's also heavily dependant on the game engine and developer talent, there's a lot of factors. Ultimately I think developers will need time to really leverage what the next-gen consoles are capable of in terms of ray-tracing and I think we'll see start to see some really impressive stuff within a year or so.

That being said, software based solutions like Lumen which had pretty impressive Global Illuminations (G.I) on the UE5 tech demo also look promising, I could only imagine how much better it would look had it been hardware accelerated, if rumours are true that another Uncharted game is in development then I think it would really benefit from some forms of ray-tracing especially G.I, Naughty Dog just like Santa Monica Studios are known to push the visual benchmark on Playstation consoles so who knows what they'll be able to cook up. Even open world games benefit from dynamic G.I as I've heard that it's hard for developers to bake in different lighting for different times of the day on open world games, I know Witcher 3 has a first day next gen patch for ray-tracing but curious to see how they'll use it since the game wouldn't benefit from things like reflections but would from shadows, ambient occlusion and GI.

Absolutely and good observations. I expect the Witcher to mostly focus on the shadows as well for RT. As you say, that would give a lot more. I personally am very excited as you are to see the level of RT being used in these early, early games. When RT was first being talked about and especially after seeing how the full RT version of Minecraft hammered the XSX, I had assumed that RT would be a buzzword kind of like 'supports 8k' but not used or if used, used in a VERY limited way.

So what we've been seeing so far is a good bit more usage of RT than I ever though we'd realistically see in our games from these systems. I agree that as developers get even more comfortable with these systems, as well as start developing engines and games truly from the ground up for these new machines, that we may well see a lot more use of these techniques. It should be a really interesting and cool generation!

Sinthor

Gold Member

Until Dawn has zero load times now.

Hmmm....I see this also as evidence mounting that devs don't have to do a bunch of extra, "special" things to take advantage of PS5's massive I/O advantage. I remember a lot of people saying that third parties wouldn't use it, etc., as it would be too much work. That does not appear to be the case so far. We'll only see for sure, of course, once we can see the same games running on each platform. Looking forward to that..only a few weeks now!

Dibils2k

Is this the 60 FPS mode or the 120 FPS mode ? It gets a bit confusing.

tpaY3HB.png
what still baffles me is that this is an officially released image... as in they looked at that and thought "yeah this is fine, this is how we want people to see our game"

no matter what bias you have, that game looks butt ugly lol i really hope they can salvage it somehow cause i enjoy halo campaigns

sircaw

Banned
what still baffles me is that this is an officially released image... as in they looked at that and thought "yeah this is fine, this is how we want people to see our game"

no matter what bias you have, that game looks butt ugly lol i really hope they can salvage it somehow cause i enjoy halo campaigns

The bottom line is Microsoft had nothing for this launch window, so they tried their luck and threw this out there. The game tbh was probably a year away from launch anyway.

I hope they can fix it, for the halo fans, they deserve something decent.

But when i look at that screen-shot, i just hate the way everything looks, those mountains in the back, whoever thought that looked good or decent should be removed from the team. It's a dog's dinner, there are no two ways about it.

I am afraid this game needs more than just a few shiny lights and reflections to make it better.

Kerlurk

Banned
So now the PS4 has fast loading times as well.

PS5's super fast SSD wasn't needed after all. They should've invested in a more powerful GPU.

Any loads on current hardware showing initial loads, and not using the current built in decompression formats is using all the available CPU cores, then transferring control to the game engine.

You can't do those loads when playing the game, or the game would pause.

PS5 can load a huge amount of data while your playing the game.

Games this generation like EA's Frostbite engine rely heavily on streaming assets in during gameplay. Expect at least a 20 to 50 times improvement in that on the PS5.

In a few years you will be going on and on how amazing that SSD/decompression engine is.

Last edited:
Hmmm....I see this also as evidence mounting that devs don't have to do a bunch of extra, "special" things to take advantage of PS5's massive I/O advantage. I remember a lot of people saying that third parties wouldn't use it, etc., as it would be too much work. That does not appear to be the case so far. We'll only see for sure, of course, once we can see the same games running on each platform. Looking forward to that..only a few weeks now!

I think that Cerny said it was as simple as just asking for the data for developers. The hardware takes care of everything else.

Now doing special tricks with the I/O and that LOD will require the devs to do work. But at least asking for the data will be easy for them.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There is no magic tech that can remove load times on PS4 games... jesus you people are gullible.

And no you don't need to write a bunch of code.... to take advantage of.. I/O.. on any device, ever, in the history of devices lol

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
No. I'm speaking about YOU, don't play dumb. You spouted your fake insider information for months misleading people. Then before the road to PS5 you said this-

You admitted before the PS5 specs were revealed that you were FOS. Now you're back before the PS5 and SX releases. What a lovely coincidence. You aren't fooling anyone. Well at least people with common sense. The ones giving you likes and congratulating you on your return are clearly incapable of seeing through trickery and must love being f'd with. You and Odium must have a boring pathetic life to have the time and energy to lie to people on a forum.

Any post you make mentioning anything "you've head" about the consoles, i'm reporting.
the problem with the internet is that you can take things however you want. Nothing was ever fake and that is not what that means reading is fundamental but understanding is often lost in words. Again enjoy your day.

I don't mean to sound like a troll but maybe their standards are different?

Whatever it is I hope they learn and not allow something like this to happen again.

the problem with the internet is that you can take things however you want. Nothing was ever fake and that is not what that means reading is fundamental but understanding is often lost in words. Again enjoy your day.
Only thing that rubs me wrong way was your comments about u playing ps5 games and having reports ready to be posted on the day of reveal but it never happened. Then u made comments that ps5 is so weak (after ur 13 tf talk) after the reveal but for us to find out that it performs just like xsx if not better in some cases like dmc5 where raytracing is patched later for xsx.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Only thing that rubs me wrong way was your comments about u playing ps5 games and having reports ready to be posted on the day of reveal but it never happened. Then u made comments that ps5 is so weak (after ur 13 tf talk) after the reveal but for us to find out that it performs just like xsx if not better in some cases like dmc5 where raytracing is patched later for xsx.
Im not addressing any of this anymore after this any other question will be ignored, I maintained that the difference would be minimal throughout and that I wanted both machines to be successful. I still feel the exact same way... as to your other point someone else already answered that Earlier and it’s not something I can or care to speak on. This isn’t inside information. Immediately noticeable uniform and glorious facial hair Ubisoft. Again not inside information just things taken from my previous posts that could help clear things up. I was never wrong about the games.

Edited to add: you’re stating things like the ray tracing is better so far on ps5 like that isn’t exactly what I said.

Last edited:
I'm just going to buy MM. The upgrades to the original just aren't worth the extra dosh. But then, I played the shit out of the first game when it came out, if I'd never played it before I might think different.

I picked up the original yesterday to have a play through, knowing although I like the look of MM, its not my go to genre by any stretch. Can confirm I will get MM based on this so far. Been a great blast and though I'm ~20% through the main game, its ridiculously cinematic that the whole thing is so engrossing to the point I'm more hyped for MM than anything else.

Would recommend to anyone that hasn't played it to get a copy if you can to get a feel for it. The combat is fiddly for me but my god, is it good.

Im not addressing any of this anymore after this any other question will be ignored, I maintained that the difference would be minimal throughout and that I wanted both machines to be successful. I still feel the exact same way... as to your other point someone else already answered that Earlier and it’s not something I can or care to speak on. This isn’t inside information. Immediately noticeable uniform and glorious facial hair Ubisoft. Again not inside information just things taken from my previous posts that could help clear things up. I was never wrong about the games.

Edited to add: you’re stating things like the ray tracing is better so far on ps5 like that isn’t exactly what I said.

Er...no you didn't...

On the hardware side not even upset it puts them in a pretty shit position for the entire generation though. They will be playing catch up and their is no sauce created that can span that gulf. XSeX is definitely more powerful. Also clearing up a bunch of bullshit Ive read PSV does constantly run in boost mode but I don't think that is a good thing. (Own Opinion) Cant imagine sustaining that high a clock speed is going to be quiet after hours of playing anything. Never cared who won will still be getting both systems for exclusives but XSeX should be the multiplat king.

Fool me once....this was your mask slipping.

kyliethicc

I really don't care which is more powerful, in a very short while it won't matter what either of us have said. A very big part of me is rooting for the Xbox team as I am very impressed by what they are doing and putting together. I also like Phil's messaging and the fact that he is actually at least attempting to do what he said that he would. I appreciate that they put together a competent box and their games library actually looks diverse and has me excited for the first time in a long while about Xbox.
MS is definitely KILLING it, shit just got very real. It’s safe to say MS will have quite a few new titles for Xbox fans to sink their teeth into.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did show the machine and specs before E3, They have a LOT (Killing it) of games to show off.

Lol welcome back "insider" so is shit getting real again ?

You were right - Phil is "killing it" with Halo and CGI on PC trailers. Coming soon ... *with a patch.

Keep rooting for Xbox, I too am very very impressed. They even got the UI to full 1080p! And all with no launch games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom