• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Demand

Banned
I’m not talking anything, no one, never did anything of the sort as I don’t make things up. You obviously have me confused with the guy in the other forum that I will not name here that did exactly what you’re saying I did.

Enjoy your night.

No. I'm speaking about YOU, don't play dumb. You spouted your fake insider information for months misleading people. Then before the road to PS5 you said this-

I was genuinely asking, I have lost my ability to detect sarcasm in my old age. I wouldn't put too much stock in anything anyone says (Myself included) all will be revealed shortly. Patience young padawans.

You admitted before the PS5 specs were revealed that you were FOS. Now you're back before the PS5 and SX releases. What a lovely coincidence. You aren't fooling anyone. Well at least people with common sense. The ones giving you likes and congratulating you on your return are clearly incapable of seeing through trickery and must love being f'd with. You and Odium must have a boring pathetic life to have the time and energy to lie to people on a forum.

Any post you make mentioning anything "you've head" about the consoles, i'm reporting.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back at those old Osiris posts I spotted this one.

Jeez things have changed so much since then.
Yeah haha I'm just going through a nostalgia trip with those old posts, around March time! It's really interesting seeing peoples mindsets and perspectives at the time, almost like a history lesson! What I find most interesting is a lot of the takes which everyone scoffed at (from both sides) actually aged the best!

Yeah haha I'm just going through a nostalgia trip with those old posts, around March time! It's really interesting seeing peoples mindsets and perspectives at the time, almost like a history lesson! What I find most interesting is a lot of the takes which everyone scoffed at (from both sides) actually aged the best!

Back then I also thought the PS5 would be an underpowered piece of crap. But then Sony changed my mind with the games that they showed. Then I got really worried about the price and Sony again took away my worry.

It's been a crazy ride that's for sure. Unfortunately I can't seem to get my hands on one at launch.

cragarmi

yes several other forum users and I had several private conversations about it. I will say that Heisenberg was 100% right and I know why I was given the numbers that I was. I will not speak on anything as I am just a forum member and will not be speaking as an insider. I will say that they were 100% correct on the games and time frames even though capcom and Sony outright denied resident evil 8 and god of war ragnarok. Outside of that I am just as excited as you all are for the next consoles and would suggest that you all hold on to your socks.
Hiya, welcome back mate, the past is the past. Just in time to usher in next gen with us all. We both know everyone needs to hold on to more than just their socks! 👖😂

ArcaneNLSC

(Quick before MasterCornholio MasterCornholio gets this)

VC2OWKD.jpg

What makes this even more fitting is that Amanda Cerny does look like Carrie Fisher, and you're a Fish... MindBlown!

Y71sEcA.gif

... The universe is telling you 'yes it is okay for you to DO Amanda, even if she's your sister you immoral dirty fish'

Donald Trump would love this game since he's always wanted to bang Ivanka

Zadom

No. I'm speaking about YOU, don't play dumb. You spouted your fake insider information for months misleading people. Then before the road to PS5 you said this-

You admitted before the PS5 specs were revealed that you were FOS. Now you're back before the PS5 and SX releases. What a lovely coincidence. You aren't fooling anyone. Well at least people with common sense. The ones giving you likes and congratulating you on your return are clearly incapable of seeing through trickery and must love being f'd with. You and Odium must have a boring pathetic life to have the time and energy to lie to people on a forum.

Any post you make mentioning anything "you've head" about the consoles, i'm reporting.

mQqXM9A.jpg

cragarmi

One thing I would like to see this coming gen is more powerful button remapping tools. Such as remapping actions to button combos, I know this can be done in game, such as the stuff they are doing for FC6, but I would like a global option, but tied to each game or app individually, rather than me having to alter the button mapping every time I switch games.

GoPats1

Neo Member
I tried but it's extremely difficult to get one at launch. I live in a small town so the stock is extremely limited here.
Same here, man. I live in a town with <20,000 population and its near impossible to get a pre-order. I'm really bummed, because I was looking forward to playing on launch day, but it is what it is I guess.

SNPlayen

I
What are the odds red dead redemption 2 gets a next gen update ?
I also want to know this. I’ve been looking forward to playing it for the 2nd time but am waiting for PS5. I have a standard PS4 so at least could expect pro updates and faster load times? Or wait even longer and find out if any PS5 updates. It would still be after Cyberpunk and potentially Ghost of Sushi and some other games in the PS4 collection that I play it. I don’t even know when I’ll play my first native PS5 game apart from astrobot.

Nickolaidas

Banned

I'll report your reports. Leave my squid alone, bitch.

LiquidRex

I'd assume AMD will talk about something for Ray Tracing on the 28th. Didn't someone mention that the high clocks will help with Ray Tracing? Which is how Sony is attacking it?

I'm excited for the future. AMD is now pushing Intel AND Nvidia. Competition is great for us.
PS5 RT implementation is different to that of the XSX, it clocks differently when in use, from my understanding.

yes several other forum users and I had several private conversations about it. I will say that Heisenberg was 100% right and I know why I was given the numbers that I was. I will not speak on anything as I am just a forum member and will not be speaking as an insider. I will say that they were 100% correct on the games and time frames even though capcom and Sony outright denied resident evil 8 and god of war ragnarok. Outside of that I am just as excited as you all are for the next consoles and would suggest that you all hold on to your socks.

so PS5 doesn’t suck anymore? Your last post was a doozie of a meltdown over a 15% tflop difference

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I've been having thoughts on the ray tracing capabilities of the PS5. A lot of us have been looking at games like Spiderman Miles Morales and thought "this is what we expect from next gen ray-tracing" and that "we expect low levels of ray-tracing on the PS5 and Series X". I would disagree, personally the fact that we are seeing ray-tracing this early in games like Spiderman Miles Morales is very promising, from what I understand ray-tracing implementation is not simple and takes time, it's also heavily dependant on the game engine and developer talent, there's a lot of factors. Ultimately I think developers will need time to really leverage what the next-gen consoles are capable of in terms of ray-tracing and I think we'll see start to see some really impressive stuff within a year or so.

That being said, software based solutions like Lumen which had pretty impressive Global Illuminations (G.I) on the UE5 tech demo also look promising, I could only imagine how much better it would look had it been hardware accelerated, if rumours are true that another Uncharted game is in development then I think it would really benefit from some forms of ray-tracing especially G.I, Naughty Dog just like Santa Monica Studios are known to push the visual benchmark on Playstation consoles so who knows what they'll be able to cook up. Even open world games benefit from dynamic G.I as I've heard that it's hard for developers to bake in different lighting for different times of the day on open world games, I know Witcher 3 has a first day next gen patch for ray-tracing but curious to see how they'll use it since the game wouldn't benefit from things like reflections but would from shadows, ambient occlusion and GI.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been having thoughts on the ray tracing capabilities of the PS5. A lot of us have been looking at games like Spiderman Miles Morales and thought "this is what we expect from next gen ray-tracing" and that "we expect low levels of ray-tracing on the PS5 and Series X". I would disagree, personally the fact that we are seeing ray-tracing this early in games like Spiderman Miles Morales is very promising, from what I understand ray-tracing implementation is not simple and takes time, it's also heavily dependant on the game engine and developer talent, there's a lot of factors. Ultimately I think developers will need time to really leverage what the next-gen consoles are capable of in terms of ray-tracing and I think we'll see start to see some really impressive stuff within a year or so.

That being said, software based solutions like Lumen which had pretty impressive Global Illuminations (GI) on the UE5 tech demo also look promising, I could only imagine how much better it would look had it been hardware accelerated, if rumours are true that another Uncharted game is in development then I think it would really benefit from some forms of ray-tracing especially GI, Naughty Dog just like Santa Monica Studios are known to push the visual benchmark on Playstation consoles so who knows what they'll be able to cook up. Even open world games benefit from some form of dynamic lighting as I've heard that it's hard for developers to bake in different lighting for different times of the day on open world games, I know Witcher 3 has a first day next gen patch for ray-tracing but curious to see how they'll use it since the game wouldn't benefit from things like reflections but would from shadows, ambient occlusion and GI.
Sadly, there's no date for the next gen patch for The Witcher :messenger_pensive:

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly, there's no date for the next gen patch for The Witcher :messenger_pensive:
Dam I saw it posted everywhere, the news of the next-gen patch that is and I assumed it would be available on day one. Hopefully it's within the next few months. The game is still impressive visually but I don't know how significant the next-gen patch would be, they did mention "better graphics, ray-tracing and faster load times" which sounds pretty big to me. I've played the game twice now and I plan on playing it again, but I told myself that the next time I play it will be on the PS5 with the next-gen patch.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk of ray-tracing and Global Illuminations, here is a great video explain what exactly G.I is. It also seems G.I as with other forms of ray-tracing benefits from "bounces", which is interesting because PS5 thanks to it's really high clocks can generate more bounces on each ray within a frame compared to the Series X where as the Series X thanks to it's larger number of CU's can generate more "rays" within the frame.

So it seems G.I is not exactly a form of ray-tracing itself but "it's a set of tools available if you like to artists to simulate the bounce and the interaction of light with different surfaces in the real world" David Lleywelyn, Art Lead at Unity Technologies

"So first of it's a tool that artists have to light their levels more easily, for example you add a sun to your level and I have an indoor area and rather than having to add lights in myself to stimulate what that bounce light is I can just have sun add that bounce light automatically" Nick Penwarden Lead Rendering Engineer at Epic Games

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read the link?

It is doable up to 1600p 120Hz with nVidia GPUs / driver.

But you need to force via nVidia driver the resolution and refresh rate... it is not an option on Windows.

Now if you want to know if AMD GPUs allow the same I don’t know but I’m sure consoles won’t allow it.
Thanks...I was specifically thinking of it concerning a PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom