• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithless83

Banned
Thanks...I figured since they still relied on the wifi they wouldn't be worth it but I'll take a look!

Thanks...I figured since they still relied on the wifi they wouldn't be worth it but I'll take a look!
There are models that do have wired and wifi, but you can purchase only the wired version.
I use it at home and it works great.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Not the same, HDR10+ is still very good, but Dolby Vision is master frame by frame (dynamic). Anyway, games are probably continue to be HDR10, and XSX Dolby Vision is great mostly for watching movies and series with Dolby Vision support. So overall, I think it's not something to worry about for game, but we'll wait for further confirmation.
Yeah I just don't think it is as important as hdmi 2.1 and especially their anti reflect treatment which are a problem in my home.

sircaw

Banned
200 MILLION!?!?! HAHAHAHA!!!

I would say its not to far off, i mean say ps4 sold 110 million and lets say xbox sold 50 million last generation.

I would imagine the vast majority of people are considering jumping ship from xbox and joining ps5 this generation.

So that means we are already at 160 million, minus about the 50 (fifty) consoles or so that were bought by eastwood, dealer, timdog etc.

"lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

kretos

Banned

TautSomeBurro-size_restricted.gif

DaGwaphics

PS5 is only for a very short time, the massive problem with XSS is it'll hold the entire generation for 7 years, assuming Satya won't intervene and shut down xbox division. For Cyberpunk, I think the downgrade is due to the game size, as it's said to be around 200GB or so.

70GB is all they've mentioned so far.

kyliethicc

Just looked. They did update it.

"Update (April 28th, 2020): An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more."
Cerny himself has said its an expansion bay to ADD storage to the custom SSD's 825 GB. Its not removable.

Same as Xbox and Switch. Internal is not removable. Add only.

Switch has 32 GB internal + expansion slot for SD card
XSX/S has 1 TB/512 GB internal + port for expansion card
PS5 has 825 GB internal + expansion bay for M.2 SSD

The internal storage that ships is built in and non-removable. Expansion, not replacement.

Its not like the PS3 and PS4 replaceable hard drives.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Just looked. They did update it.

"Update (April 28th, 2020): An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more."
Cerny outright stated it was a second slot...

Drive will need to be the right size as well as speed.

edit: for clarity by size I mean the physical size of the drive has to fit inside their enclosure

Last edited:

kyliethicc

More and more I think people slept through the Road to PS5, woke up during the 10.3TF part and ran with it.
Yup everyone ignores so much of what he said. The part about the M.2 expansion bay was quite clear.

I still see "gaming journalists" saying the PS5 will only have 100 backwards compatible games.

Its frustrating how ignorant so many people, who are paid to inform others, are.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Interesting chinwag with Digital Foundry at PAX, especially near the ending.

Richard says on paper the XSX is clearly the more powerful but Microsoft have a new software development kit (GDK) which encompasses single code base for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC. Some developers love it, some don't. I take that as being that the full potential of XSX may sometimes never be reached as there may not be opportunities to specifically tune the code for a single device now. I have no idea.

On the other hand, developers are truly loving the PS5. It's much the same tools as the PS4 but everything just scaled up.

38'34" onwards

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

And it makes me wonder, what if the XSX ends up outselling the XSS by a far margin?
i feel that early adopters are mostly techheads or true fans of the system and only want to buy the series x. S is the go to version down the road i guess. its next gen and its "cheap" on PS5 there is no diffrence in hardware besides the drive so there actually is now choice between being a die hard early adopter and a casual.

CrysisFreak

Banned

Richard says on paper the XSX is clearly the more powerful but Microsoft have a new software development kit (GDK) which encompasses single code base for Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PC. Some developers love it, some don't. I take that as being that the full potential of XSX may sometimes never be reached as there may not be opportunities to specifically tune the code for a single device now. I have no idea.

On the other hand, developers are truly loving the PS5. It's much the same tools as the PS4 but everything just scaled up.

38'34" onwards

If it's a new common development kid it will definitely be more abstract and not as low-level as PS5's SDK.
I don't think this will make too big of a difference, maybe 3% or something. Definitely not great for Series X enthusiasts.

Looks like I'm going PS5 this time guys lol. And they say Microsoft is pro consumer. Spent thousands on their store and they cant refund two titles that my girlfriend purchased thinking it was Play anywhere
VZOd5jL.png
"You need me more than I need you"

Haha you sound like a swell guy talking to customer service like that.

Damn, they fucked up big time not refunding you on that shit. GET EM BOY!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
this guy is on a truth-roll

having bought spiderman and all dlc already, it is a real dick move that I will have to re-buy for enhancements
and this is fuckin' first party we are talking about here!

Spiderman PS4 will indeed upgrade for free. You pay $70 if you haven't already bought the game on PS4, and that includes the DLC's. So get the $50 version.

38'34" onwards

So... pretty much what we've heard before from devs on the PS5 front.

XSX is a surprise tho, and coming from Richard it's probably real and not good. Maybe that's why pretty much nothing has been shown so far. IDK.

CrysisFreak

Banned
So... pretty much what we've heard before from devs on the PS5 front.

XSX is a surprise tho, and coming from Richard it's probably real and not good. Maybe that's why pretty much nothing has been shown so far. IDK.
Nah man it's the other way around.
With their common dev kit they should really be able to just run their stuff on Series X.
Fascinating situation tbh.

geordiemp

38'34" onwards

He always goes on about TF then makes excuses why we dont see it, Maybe XSX has been designed as a server, and its wide CU but narrow on the shader arrays (x4), see how it runs DF you idiots there is more to power than TF. We dont know all the internal specs. I thought DF were supposed to be technical.

Also richards prediction on everyone on XSX cloud soon, LOL, NO>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom