• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithless83

Banned
I'm totally with you there, mate! Unless it gets delayed to early 2022, then it'll age well. :messenger_smiling_horns:
I see where you're coming from with your comments on DS, but remember: Blue Point (the guys doing the heavy lifting) are a relatively small studio (90 people). Santa Monica on the other hand is listing 200+ employees.

UE5 demo was impressive, but I doubt it will take that long for us to see something similar to it in quality.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting. I know some company has to already producing them already, because they aren't going to appear out of the blue by launch. Wonder if Seagate can Double dip

I can still see Sony making their own, that could turn out pricy though, something like the exact one inside. I'm getting their small memory that has the same odd size, 160GB instead of 128 or 256GB:

1595931654_1578712.jpg

It's a new CF express A, new genre. First will be adopting it is a7S III camera. Personally, I would rather buy the same internal one, even if pricy. But having the same exact one inside could as well lower the production price of both the internal and the external one, so they can even sell it at a minor profit in the beginning.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A 7 GB/s PCIe 4 M.2 will be fine for the PS5. Cerny only said they need a drive faster than 5.5 GB/s. So the PS5 will likely require a drive with 6.5 to 7 GB/s raw read.

If you watch it again, even 7GB/s isn't an easy one, it needs to compensate for an extra 4 priority levels that the internal has (6 vs 2 in NVMe m.2). Also assuming performance will be stable, my 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 dips in performance as well.

I see where you're coming from with your comments on DS, but remember: Blue Point (the guys doing the heavy lifting) are a relatively small studio (90 people). Santa Monica on the other hand is listing 200+ employees.

UE5 demo was impressive, but I doubt it will take that long for us to see something similar to it in quality.

I share the same idea as well, but giving them more time.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Has anyone found any M2 drives compatible with PS5?

Probably better off waiting till next year to get expanded storage. I'm guessing there will be a glut of manufacturers looking to get drives on the market that meet spec and should drive the prices down quickly. In that respect I think the PS gamers will have it better over the X proprietary storage in the long run even if the initial costs are higher.

icy121

Anyone wish to comment or shall we just put the whole power discussion behind us once and for all. 🤔

What would have put this shit to bed a Teardown Mark Cerny said would happen. 🤔

Rarely, if ever, will I throw stones at people I don't know - but Blue, Astal, TimDog, Dealer, Zalker, ClownEastWood etc. (pretty much all of Phil Spencer's Twitter secretaries) are fucking halfwit imbeciles. All of them. LowIQDog is almost 50(!!!!!) and that doofus still actively fuels the consoles wars.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

Dolomite

My comment is: man if you follow or think is worth it to read this kind of extreme fanboys you should not use internet.
I think it's worth it. Consoles launch in less than 2 months and we still don't know some of the details of SONY's internal hardware. Same questions asked by fans and experts alike are unanswered as everyone picks through Cernys'vid from months ago for reference.

Same energy towards MS for not showing much software actually running on the world's most powerful console

It is, and you can notice extremely minor softness in 4K display due to that, but it looks like a freaking movie or life-like. With optimization, that could easily be 4K@30fps, let's not forget that it's using 8K Hollywood, uncompressed assets and 16K shadows! Also it's using 20 million polygon budget per frame, good for slightly above 6K. It's more like a stress demo to PS5.

DS looks much cleaner though, but more "gamey". UE5 has some artifacts from that voxel? GI.

yep . UE5 has a lot more going on. the lighting is also dynamic. but 1440/30 has a way higher frametime budget compared to, presumably, 4k/60. it is why the two are not comparable. granted, both are stella looking. i wonder whether DS will still have a 30fps mode. I seriously doubt it. Perhaps the hardware even surprised the sony engineers and already punching above its weight in a launch title.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If you watch it again, even 7GB/s isn't an easy one, it needs to compensate for an extra 4 priority levels that the internal has (6 vs 2 in NVMe m.2). Also assuming performance will be stable, my 3.5GB/s NVMe m.2 dips in performance as well.

I share the same idea as well, but giving them more time.
Yeah Cerny said the M.2 will need to be faster than 5.5 GB/s for those reasons.

7 GB/s is the max it can be with PCI Gen 4 x4.

So the PS5 literally has to support an M.2 that fast. Otherwise it has no expansion option.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Probably better off waiting till next year to get expanded storage. I'm guessing there will be a glut of manufacturers looking to get drives on the market that meet spec and should drive the prices down quickly. In that respect I think the PS gamers will have it better over the X proprietary storage in the long run even if the initial costs are higher.
Agreed. The PS5 will require very expensive M.2 drives for now. Most won't be available until next year or later.

But by 2023 or so, prices will have dropped and the drives will be available. They did a good job building a long term solution for the expansion that isn't proprietary.

Last edited:
A full DS remake would be great... but I’d honestly rather see Bluepoint do a Demon’s Souls 2 using a story laid down by From.

Exactly. They deserve the opportunity to make a new game and to be creative. Meanwhile From can work on Bloodborne 2 and Playstation can hog every new Soulsbourne title forever.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
yep . UE5 has a lot more going on. the lighting is also dynamic. but 1440/30 has a way higher frametime budget compared to, presumably, 4k/60. it is why the two are not comparable. granted, both are stella looking. i wonder whether DS will still have a 30fps mode. I seriously doubt it. Perhaps the hardware even surprised the sony engineers and already punching above its weight in a launch title.

I'm buying PS5 and can't wait for PS5 Pro as well. 🥳 It's a massive jump from PS4 Pro with a 4K HDR screen to PS5, and a staggering jump from base PS4 with a 1080p tv.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So I keep hearing MS has money hatted a big 3rd party for Gamepass but havent heard who for sure.

Watching the Cyberpunk show kind of hoping it says day one on Gamepass, is that too much to ask?
with how close CDPR are with Xbox, it seems like the only question is when will CyberPunk be on Game Pass, not if.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Was this posted?

The Outer World is a current-gen game, and we know the XSS doesn't support XOne X patches. So it should use, at the absolute maximum, 5GB of RAM.

If it takes around 10 seconds to load, doesn't that mean that the effective average final transfer speed from SSD to RAM in this case is 0.5 GB/s (or lower)?

All the Velocity Architecture crap aside (since I assume current-gen games are not optimized for it), this console has a nominal 2.4 GB/s uncompressed SSD. Is there really so much of a bottleneck unless the developers go in and optimize loadings using the VA and all the other software bells and whistles?

Last edited:
The Outer World is a current-gen game, and we know the XSS doesn't support XOne X patches. So it should use, at the absolute maximum, 5GB of RAM.

If it takes around 10 seconds to load, doesn't that mean that the effective average final transfer speed from SSD to RAM in this case is 0.5 GB/s (or lower)?

All the Velocity Architecture crap aside (since I assume current-gen games are not optimized for it), this console has a nominal 2.4 GB/s uncompressed SSD. Is there really so much of a bottleneck unless the developers go in and optimize loadings using the VA and all the other software bells and whistles?

I remember that WhispersintheWind WhispersintheWind said that some are saying the VA is finicky. There's probably a learning curve to it and I'm guessing it isn't as easy as Sonys I/O system

SSfox

So i watched this and here are my thought:

Ryan: "Microsoft are honest"

We're talking about same guys that tweet MGSV: TPP is Xbox One Exclusive, K

Ryan: "Sony are getting exclusive from 3rd, for MS it's not their philosophy"

No mate, they don't do it because they can't do it. They were doing it in PS3/Xbox360 era, but budget even for Microsoft isn't unlimited, you have to stop spending money at some point if it's not getting the money back.

Ryan starts to talk about play everywhere thing

Me: Heck, why do i need to play a videogame when i'm out? at work? or doing Sport? or going out with friends? or in the beach? The only time i play some mobile game is when i'm waiting for something, like last time i go clean my car, was playing MK mobile while it's washing, but that's not serious gaming lol (even the game itself is pure trash tbh *like pretty much all mobile games*, MK11 is the real deal), just pass time (and i don't always play mobile in this cases). Unless you're into mobile games which is fine but for me this is not real gaming.

Gaming is console at home after taking a nice shower.

(or if we talk outside gaming there's Arcade in back the days, but even Arcades aren't a thing anymore, expect a bit in some regions in Asia)

Last edited:

Shmunter

So I keep hearing MS has money hatted a big 3rd party for Gamepass but havent heard who for sure.

Watching the Cyberpunk show kind of hoping it says day one on Gamepass, is that too much to ask?
Who cares really. People are willing to buy that game like no other. No one would do so begrudgingly. Making it console exclusive would be a whole other story, too late for that tho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom