• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

Just in case any UK gamers are waiting for the PS5 / XSX to play DOOM Eternal, Amazon UK is currently selling the game for £19.99. Bethesda have said it's getting a free upgrade, so right now would be a good time to buy. I got mine today. Just have to get a PS5 now! Heh!

And it comes with a free steel poster..! :)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
First PSVR Bundle that comes with PS5 Adapter announced in Japan.

Wonder how long we'll be waiting for PSVR2?

I suppose games will play better either way but isn't PSVR hardware kinda outdated? (I have an Index myself)

travisktl

Wonder how long we'll be waiting for PSVR2?

I suppose games will play better either way but isn't PSVR hardware kinda outdated? (I have an Index myself)
I swear Sony commented on this at some point, but I can't remember for sure. I remember reading something from them saying it will be a bit of time between the PS5 and PSVR2, so they won't overwhelm people with two expensive purchases at once. My guess is that it would be a year or two between the PS5 and PSVR2.

Nowcry

This is a speculation thread after all (and thanks for good discussion with Giordiemp in DM regarding this).

Speculation: I think Sony has a stacked chip in the PS5 where they have stacked memory on top of the APU die (or below).

Rationale: Sony has a history of stacking memory on top or below of the logic. They started with it in the PS Vita who's main architect was Mark Cerny. They have continued with it in designs such as sensors/cameras. Memory takes up a lot of die space in mm2 and stacking it allows it to be very close to the transistors that need it while making the logic die cheaper to fab.

It all started with a rumor years back from leakers that Sony had a collaboration with Micron to create memory to stack for the PS5.

Then we had 'The Road to PS5' where Mark Cerny stated that the I/O circuit allowed for direct file load into the GPU cache (most likely L2). This only makes real sense if the cache is large enough to both host ongoing work and have enough space to load a new complete file into it (such as a texture that was Mark's example). A 4K texture requires around 50MB and an 8K texture roughly double that (as was exemplified in the UE5 demo).

Then we had the cooling solution with cooling from two directions - top and bottom. And in addition liquid metal cooling from the top. As we now know that the GPU is not OCed but rather runs at AMDs intended frequencies one must ask why all this exotic cooling is required? Ultra-silence is all nice but at that cost?

Then we have the die size of the APU. It is very hard to put more than 16 MB of L2 cache on it before running out of real-estate in mm2 (with reasonable assumptions).

Then we have the need for a large cache to allow for RT with significant memory requirements to run intersects properly (BVH modelling etc).

Finally we have the teardown video of the PS5. The most edited section of the teardown video is of the APU. Sony has eased all marks on the APU digitally. Furthermore, the APU + socket is thick. Like really thick. One explanation could of course be the bottom cooling plate that connects with the other side of the board but that thickness does not make sense in my opinion. Compare the socket etc with the XSX and you will understand what I am talking about.

Conclusion: It seems likely that Sony has a stacked design. The most logical conclusion from that is that they have stacked shared cache memory to save real-estate on the main die and implemented a top and bottom cooling solution to make it happen. This would explain all the items above and be in line with Sony's chosen design paths in the past for several other chips.

I might be 100% wrong of course but it is a speculation thread after all :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: If Sony tells us that the GPU has more than 16MB of shared cache we know that the chip is stacked. There is no other way they can fit that memory into the design otherwise.

Thank you very much for giving me some new ideas that had not occurred to me. It's nice to read about hardware and see what ideas you come up with to explain some things about Road To PS5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Video GameInformer about Spiderman MM:

Last edited:

Nowcry

Crazy how nobody is speculating about how much of those 512GB will be available. Seems to be such an important topic for some.
MS is doing well to divert attention, because even though it needs less memory for being a 1080p 512 GB target - the system could leave you with 390 GB for games. Which would force you to buy the memory expansion card at $ 220 which is almost the price of the console and there is undoubtedly a 200-300% profit.

Barakov

Gold Member
This is kinda

MgyKmrT.gif

Mahavastu

Yeah it is for honk kong china market. A non issue unless you live in those places and if you do live there you have bigger things to worry about then a eula on a console.
No, it says "for users with mainland china as country / area of residence"
as far as I know this does NOT include Hong Kong

And then it does not says much more then "don't break the laws and don't be an asshole"

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
MS is doing well to divert attention, because even though it needs less memory for being a 1080p 512 GB target - the system could leave you with 390 GB for games. Which would force you to buy the memory expansion card at $ 220 which is almost the price of the console and there is undoubtedly a 200-300% profit.
If you will buy S + Expansion it is better to get X directly lol

There is no point in get a S + Expansion to be fair... well you will have 1.5GB instead 1GB storage but even so you get a way better machine with X.

I don’t think S users will buy these expansion cards.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I doubt (for a number of reasons, most of which you can hear in this video from timestamp to ~3 minutes before it ends) SIE has gone through the trouble of developing a PS3 emulator. However, I do suspect some of PS5's R&D went into developing a new CELL variant to embed within the custom SSD controller as a means to also provide hardware-based compatibility with PS3.
IF the PS5 has / will have support for the PS3 (and that is a very big IF with everything we know), it won't be in the SSD controller.
It is too far away from the APU and connected too slow (only like 7GB/s)

Other positions it can be:
1. In the tempest audio engine: Mark cerny said that this is very similar to the SPEs of the Cell, so it might be used to emulate the chip. During emulating PS3 the PS5 should not really use tempest anyway.
2. Added instructions to the GPU to accelerate the PS3 emulation. In the open Source emulator a lot of stuff is done in the GPU...
3. hire some software magicians who are able to emulate the PS3 "fast enough" without hardware Cell emulation.

Mahavastu

"I must go back to my home pond now."

* sircaw sircaw died on the way back to his puddle*
At least he behaves quite strange today.
And not only him. Look at the last pages with discussions about cheap TV shows from the 70ties and tips for relationships.
It gets time that XBox or Sony is throwing some bones to us again, or we get crazy in the last days before launch :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
This is a speculation thread after all (and thanks for good discussion with Giordiemp in DM regarding this).

Speculation: I think Sony has a stacked chip in the PS5 where they have stacked memory on top of the APU die (or below).

Only problem, is why would Sony keep that secret at this point in time.

They would not, they would be talking about this advantage.

Unless linked with AMD's upcoming reveal of RDNA2 chips???

Last edited:
Thank you very much for giving me some new ideas that had not occurred to me. It's nice to read about hardware and see what ideas you come up with to explain some things about Road To PS5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Video GameInformer about Spiderman MM:

Very interesting for who wants to know more about the Miles history.

Some of PS5 stuff is only in the last 2 minutes of the interview.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Do you think there is still a kinda big reveal coming from either Sony or MS? 🤔

Big reveal? I dont see anything major between now and launch day.

Do you know something or is that just a general statement? :pie_eyeroll:

Some of both I guess.

There are some whispers one of the systems have been in devs hands longer (which I think we all know anyhow) and thus that system is doing better just from having more time on it.

Which will then lead to console wars even more

Sinthor

Gold Member
Question guys, with Ghost of Tsushima getting patched for Boost Mode on PS5, think its a good value at $35? Planning on getting Demon Souls day 1 as well as my first two games.
GoT is a great value at $35 period, even without any PS5 patch. It's a fantastic game and I thought even the side quests were purposeful really. Most of them. Yes there are some more repetitive, kill the Mongols at this area quests but really the variety was very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom