• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
You are lost to me. "lollipop_disappointed:
1*gkw4KXHMS3nCRAFV-QAJDg.gif

See now that sounds awesome but my nose doesn't work properly due to many breaks and no medical care haha. No where did I say anything except it's not for me. I actually said it was cool but I'll still be turning it off. People just run with the last quote and take it out of context. I said it's rumble, people said it's not (it is) and then the shit talk began. People stating my dislike is not valid but others liking it is valid. I have no qualms with people liking rumble but it seems the opposite can not be the true.

100%
People will argue it was a pointless post but I was just next gen rumble speculating that I'll be turning it off. Just as valid of a point as the bulk of posts in this thread (basically pointless)
I'm going to be annoying here cause you may not realize just how important haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will be to PS5.

This is from a Polygon article:

Deathloop being a first-person shooter, we do a lot of things to make weapons feel differently from one another,” Bakaba continued. “One I like is blocking the triggers when your weapon jams, to give to the player an immediate feedback even before the animation plays out, which prompts the player in a physical way that they have to unjam their gun.”

Gavin Moore, of SIE Japan Studio (the folks behind the Demon’s Souls remake), said the haptics will enhance melee combat as well. “You’ll experience the force of a titanic boss’ attack as you pull off a well-timed guard,” Moore said. “Metal strikes metal when your foes block your attacks or you block theirs. That extra sensory feedback through the controller allows you to know your attack hit home and your perfectly-timed parry was a success, so you can react faster and more decisively.”

Kazunori Yamauchi, president of Gran Turismo 7 maker Polyphony Digital, said the adaptive triggers will better represent the implementation of an anti-lock braking system, which motorsports gamers know feels a lot different in real life. “Compared to the rumble force feedback we had in the past, the special character of the haptic feedback is that is has a bigger range of frequencies it can produce,” he added.

This is from a gamesradar article:
Sony is also fitting the grips with similar haptic feedback options via "highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller".

According to Wired's Peter Rubin, when "combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation."

It certainly sounds like the PS5 pad will offer even more refined haptic feedback than what we've seen before, and hopefully adopted by more developers than those that utilise the Switch's iteration.

Interestingly, the Wired article mentions that, according to product manager Toshi Aoki, the team has been working on haptic feedback since developing the DualShock 4, and it was actually ready to be released with the PS4 Pro. However, Sony believed that "doing so would have created a "split experience" for gamers, so the feature suite was held for the next generation".

Alright, that's the end of my cut and pasting. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you may not be able to turn it off and even if you can you'd be missing out. You'll still probably be able to turn it off, but it may be on a game-by-game basis.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm going to be annoying here cause you may not realize just how important haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will be to PS5.

Deathloop being a first-person shooter, we do a lot of things to make weapons feel differently from one another,” Bakaba continued. “One I like is blocking the triggers when your weapon jams, to give to the player an immediate feedback even before the animation plays out, which prompts the player in a physical way that they have to unjam their gun.”

Gavin Moore, of SIE Japan Studio (the folks behind the Demon’s Souls remake), said the haptics will enhance melee combat as well. “You’ll experience the force of a titanic boss’ attack as you pull off a well-timed guard,” Moore said. “Metal strikes metal when your foes block your attacks or you block theirs. That extra sensory feedback through the controller allows you to know your attack hit home and your perfectly-timed parry was a success, so you can react faster and more decisively.”

Kazunori Yamauchi, president of Gran Turismo 7 maker Polyphony Digital, said the adaptive triggers will better represent the implementation of an anti-lock braking system, which motorsports gamers know feels a lot different in real life. “Compared to the rumble force feedback we had in the past, the special character of the haptic feedback is that is has a bigger range of frequencies it can produce,” he added.

Sony is also fitting the grips with similar haptic feedback options via "highly programmable voice-coil actuators located in the left and right grips of the controller".

According to Wired's Peter Rubin, when "combined with an improved speaker on the controller, the haptics can enable some astonishing effects. First, I play through a series of short demos, courtesy of the same Japan Studio team that designed PlayStation VR's Astro Bot Rescue Mission. In the most impressive, I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation."

It certainly sounds like the PS5 pad will offer even more refined haptic feedback than what we've seen before, and hopefully adopted by more developers than those that utilise the Switch's iteration.

Interestingly, the Wired article mentions that, according to product manager Toshi Aoki, the team has been working on haptic feedback since developing the DualShock 4, and it was actually ready to be released with the PS4 Pro. However, Sony believed that "doing so would have created a "split experience" for gamers, so the feature suite was held for the next generation".

Alright, that's the end of my cut and pasting. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you may not be able to turn it off and even if you can you'd be missing out. You'll still probably be able to turn it off, but it may be on a game-by-game basis.

Voice coil actuators are nothing like current rumble tech, which is basically just offset spinning metal doohickeys.

Voice coil allows for both precision vibration, unlike old rumble, and is capable of a vast array of levels.

If implemented correctly, the dual sense will be able to respond to on screen action, in individual sections of the controller. For instance, a vibration in the lower right hand grip could tell you an enemy is behind you at four or five o’clock.

To assume it’s all just a bit of a better version of rumble misses the point, and the potential.

ethomaz

Banned
I remember Halo being talk about receiving a patch for RT not Gears... of course that was before the delay... it will probably ship with RT now.

From what I read Gears 5 won't have RT on Xbox Series.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Why? No matter how many boxes Sony is able to put out, the ps5 will be sold out anyways.

MAYBE during holidays season....
I could see some short gameplay as a teaser for the full reveal at the Game Awards

Pretty confident they are showing it this year, so whether they are sold out or not doesn't matter

sircaw

Banned
You guys wants to know something fun?

I always saw sircaw sircaw as Xbox fan.
Just recently I realized it is the opposite :D

Who you called it, My preferred pronoun is shoal

Actually, about 3 months ago i was all in favor of giving Microsoft a chance, then i saw that disgusting Halo demo, and then the bullshit that kept on coming out of their pr department. Phil spencer and Greenburg associating the brand with trash people like dealer and eastwood.

then the amount of Fud that was hitting these forums day after day, i have never seen so much spin and lies in all my life.

I have decided to stand against it. Like i said normal xbox users i wish them no harm, but to the xbox zealot extreme fan boys and there are a few of them on this forum and oh boy do they hate me- they can all fuck off.

And they can take that to the Bank :messenger_heart:

Elog

This is a speculation thread after all (and thanks for good discussion with Giordiemp in DM regarding this).

Speculation: I think Sony has a stacked chip in the PS5 where they have stacked memory on top of the APU die (or below).

Rationale: Sony has a history of stacking memory on top or below of the logic. They started with it in the PS Vita who's main architect was Mark Cerny. They have continued with it in designs such as sensors/cameras. Memory takes up a lot of die space in mm2 and stacking it allows it to be very close to the transistors that need it while making the logic die cheaper to fab.

It all started with a rumor years back from leakers that Sony had a collaboration with Micron to create memory to stack for the PS5.

Then we had 'The Road to PS5' where Mark Cerny stated that the I/O circuit allowed for direct file load into the GPU cache (most likely L2). This only makes real sense if the cache is large enough to both host ongoing work and have enough space to load a new complete file into it (such as a texture that was Mark's example). A 4K texture requires around 50MB and an 8K texture roughly double that (as was exemplified in the UE5 demo).

Then we had the cooling solution with cooling from two directions - top and bottom. And in addition liquid metal cooling from the top. As we now know that the GPU is not OCed but rather runs at AMDs intended frequencies one must ask why all this exotic cooling is required? Ultra-silence is all nice but at that cost?

Then we have the die size of the APU. It is very hard to put more than 16 MB of L2 cache on it before running out of real-estate in mm2 (with reasonable assumptions).

Then we have the need for a large cache to allow for RT with significant memory requirements to run intersects properly (BVH modelling etc).

Finally we have the teardown video of the PS5. The most edited section of the teardown video is of the APU. Sony has eased all marks on the APU digitally. Furthermore, the APU + socket is thick. Like really thick. One explanation could of course be the bottom cooling plate that connects with the other side of the board but that thickness does not make sense in my opinion. Compare the socket etc with the XSX and you will understand what I am talking about.

Conclusion: It seems likely that Sony has a stacked design. The most logical conclusion from that is that they have stacked shared cache memory to save real-estate on the main die and implemented a top and bottom cooling solution to make it happen. This would explain all the items above and be in line with Sony's chosen design paths in the past for several other chips.

I might be 100% wrong of course but it is a speculation thread after all :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: If Sony tells us that the GPU has more than 16MB of shared cache we know that the chip is stacked. There is no other way they can fit that memory into the design otherwise.

sircaw

Banned
This is a speculation thread after all (and thanks for good discussion with Giordiemp in DM regarding this).

Will read the second part of your comments but i had to call you out on the first line, i am very sorry.I think your lying

I very much doubt its possible to have a good discussion with that fleabag geordiemp geordiemp Just saying.

The rest of the post is extremely interesting, just needed to set the record straight.

First off I'm super happy with how excited for this you seem to be and I really really hope it's as awesome for you as you want it to be. I love excitement and it's contagiousness. Also awesome work at trying to show your point without being shitty. Better than I haha. Every new console pretty much has talked up The new controller features and I honestly don't think a single one has delivered. The controller pinnacle was the wave bird and I hadn't used one since that was better. I think the idea behind the tech is great and I'm quite certain in my lifetime we will have full body haptics that actually works. My issue with it is mainly if you have done those things like fired guns or clashed swords or drove a race car around a track a controllers haptics just are not going to match that in any reasonable way. And since I've done those things at least several times I just can't help but feel this new controller just won't cut it. Obviously when real reviews come out and I have friends telling me how awesome it is I'm gonna give it a try but I can assure you that hasn't happened with a controller in a long time.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

Speculation: I think Sony has a stacked chip in the PS5 where they have stacked memory on top of the APU die (or below).

Rationale: Sony has a history of stacking memory on top or below of the logic. They started with it in the PS Vita who's main architect was Mark Cerny. They have continued with it in designs such as sensors/cameras. Memory takes up a lot of die space in mm2 and stacking it allows it to be very close to the transistors that need it while making the logic die cheaper to fab.

It all started with a rumor years back from leakers that Sony had a collaboration with Micron to create memory to stack for the PS5.

Then we had 'The Road to PS5' where Mark Cerny stated that the I/O circuit allowed for direct file load into the GPU cache (most likely L2). This only makes real sense if the cache is large enough to both host ongoing work and have enough space to load a new complete file into it (such as a texture that was Mark's example). A 4K texture requires around 50MB and an 8K texture roughly double that (as was exemplified in the UE5 demo).

Then we had the cooling solution with cooling from two directions - top and bottom. And in addition liquid metal cooling from the top. As we now know that the GPU is not OCed but rather runs at AMDs intended frequencies one must ask why all this exotic cooling is required? Ultra-silence is all nice but at that cost?

Then we have the die size of the APU. It is very hard to put more than 16 MB of L2 cache on it before running out of real-estate in mm2 (with reasonable assumptions).

Then we have the need for a large cache to allow for RT with significant memory requirements to run intersects properly (BVH modelling etc).

Finally we have the teardown video of the PS5. The most edited section of the teardown video is of the APU. Sony has eased all marks on the APU digitally. Furthermore, the APU + socket is thick. Like really thick. One explanation could of course be the bottom cooling plate that connects with the other side of the board but that thickness does not make sense in my opinion. Compare the socket etc with the XSX and you will understand what I am talking about.

Conclusion: It seems likely that Sony has a stacked design. The most logical conclusion from that is that they have stacked shared cache memory to save real-estate on the main die and implemented a top and bottom cooling solution to make it happen. This would explain all the items above and be in line with Sony's chosen design paths in the past for several other chips.

I might be 100% wrong of course but it is a speculation thread after all :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: If Sony tells us that the GPU has more than 16MB of shared cache we know that the chip is stacked. There is no other way they can fit that memory into the design otherwise.
Reminds me of this! 👇

Paul from RedGamingTech

"There is one small little thing, I'm kinda hesitant to bring it up because I know people are going to get mad at me, but I'm going to mention it anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion that a variant of the Infinity Cache is in the PS5, now the reason I say that is because when I was asking my sources, a couple of them accurate, the same sources told me that the PS5 was running incredibly quiet, very cool and they gave me all the breakdown of the PS5 testing procedures from Sony thats turned out to be accurate, they told me that the cooling solution was very different, very unique and they gave me other insights and lo and behold we started to see patents for that.....but one hint they gave me was that cache coherency on the PS5 is incredibly important and this is one of the reasons we see cache scrubbers...when I asked my source why does it look like there is some sort of stacked memory on the PS5, are we looking at 3D stacked memory? they told me and I quote "think PS Vita". So I don't know if that is the case that there some type of chunk of cache or if it some type of Infinity Cache, I am still pretty dam confident in my information that PS5 has custom RDNA 2 features, or more specifically it's built on RDNA 2 with custom features which are NOT seen on RDNA 2 silicon...we'll just have to wait and see."

Timestamped link

Last edited by a moderator:

geordiemp

Could be, or it could just be 8-16 MB of L2, I wish Sony would hurry up and spill the beans.

Its going on for ever it seems. They have to say something before release, as chipworks or someone will strip a ps5 down and take the die apart anyway. So whatever it is cant stay secret forever.

Last edited:
A larger than normal chunk of cache on the GPU which will help reduce the issues of memory bandwidth as well as allowing quicker access to data for the GPU. I think.

amd-navi-rdna-cache.jpg

Maybe that's why Sony made these bandwidth decisions with the ram?

Could be, or it could just be 8-16 MB of L2, I wish Sony would hurry up and spill the beans.

Its going on for ever it seems. They have to say something efore release, as chipworks or someone will strip a ps5 down and take the die apart anyway. So whatever it is cant stay secret forever.

I hope we get the information from Sony instead of an amateur with a microscope.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom