• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why am i hard to listen to?

Isnt it obvious that because of this? (Dont you notice it? Not the worst case but bad enough to distract)

I also cant stand people whom have lisp, it is just damn exhausting& annoying to listen to people whom "S" rapes my ears.

Maybe it's not literally lisp, but to me there is way too much of energy on those sibilants.

Like someone would constantly do The "pstpstpstpst" noice to cat.

Maybe it is microphone thing, editing thing etc.

Nothing personal, it is what it is. I never watch people that have annoying voice or this "too strong S".

And if it just a habit and not real physical thing, then it is even more annoying as then the speaker is just lazy when they dont correct their style into more neutral one.

ofcourse it doesnt annoy everyone, but usually it helps to get more audience if people dont get annoyed by something like that. And that is the case as many have mentioned it here

This is 10x more annoying style ;(

Last edited:

TBiddy

That picture of Spidey hanging on the window looks impressive at first glance, but there's something off about the way he reflects. The fingers don't align (look at his left thumb ie.), it seems. Also the reflections of his feet looks "off" compared to his actual feet.

Add to that the low resolution of the reflection, and it's painfully obvious that compromises had to be made.

That picture of Spidey hanging on the window looks impressive at first glance, but there's something off about the way he reflects. The fingers don't align (look at his left thumb ie.), it seems. Also the reflections of his feet looks "off" compared to his actual feet.

Add to that the low resolution of the reflection, and it's painfully obvious that compromises had to be made.

Expect this as standard for console ray tracing. Without DLSS you can't render the entire image at a much lower resolution then use AI to upscale for a convincing 4K image. So the other choice is you render the reflections at a lower resolution and maintain playable framerate. I don't mind it, it's not glaringly low res.

Kingthrash

Isnt it obvious that because of this? (Dont you notice it? Not the worst case but bad enough to distract)

I also cant stand people whom have lisp, it is just damn exhausting& annoying to listen to people whom "S" rapes my ears.

Maybe it's not literally lisp, but to me there is way too much of energy on those sibilants.

Like someone would constantly do The "pstpstpstpst" noice to cat.

Maybe it is microphone thing, editing thing etc.

Nothing personal, it is what it is. I never watch people that have annoying voice or this "too strong S".

And if it just a habit and not real physical thing, then it is even more annoying as then the speaker is just lazy when they dont correct their style into more neutral one.

ofcourse it doesnt annoy everyone, but usually it helps to get more audience if people dont get annoyed by something like that. And that is the case as many have mentioned it here

This is 10x more annoying style ;(
First I've heard of it lol...welp I know i can't please everyone so I don't try to. I find my voice quite soothing and relaxing and I'm happy with it.

I feel bad for you tho....if something this small annoyed you then lord knows how angry you get in traffic lol
DWYD

leizzra

Regarding new look of Peter Parker - we must remember that this is how he will look in Spider-Man 2. What we see here is a change of direction for characters in new game. First Spider-Man was showing what I like to call stylized realism (like Uncharted series). I think that they used scans for characters faces but sculpted more on top, bumped up albedo texture. On top of that their materials rendering and lighting made the final look. And it was great but in some ways it wasn't top notch as from Naughty Dog, but it looked really well for art direction of the game.

Now they are doing next-gen titles and usually if you want your game to look better you try going closer to the realism. That's why they changed Miles face and now Peter too. Of course they could just try to transfer the previous actor face better/more realistic. But it seams they thought that it wont do (they probably tested this or at least try to bumb up the existing model). One thing is as they said animation - it's better to have one actor for face, voice and mocap because you'll have less errors and don't have to retarget animations. They can't do that at last if they want to leave the original voice. The other thing is age - I thought that Peter is much older in last game, but it seams not. So this one makes sens. Also he is more like Tom Holland and this probably also is something that they wanted (or marketing department at Sony?).

It's a shame that they did that, because I liked the look of Peter and the stylistic of the game (he had more character but that's the thing with stylized approach). But I must admit that the new one is more realistic. The thing that I really don't like is contrast betwen new Peter and the rest of characters. They should have made new heads for all plot characters and I think that's what we'll get in SP2. Maybe the idea for introducing new Peter in Remaster wasn't good. Maybe we should have that in proper sequel with the rest of characters and probably graphic as a whole. But it is what it is and problably whey needed it now (better marketing and more in line with coming sequel).

geordiemp

Where else have we seen ray tracing in games which is very expensive, other than what Sony has shown ?

Its going to be a long wait to compare anything I bet

Zoro7

Banned
Jesus Christ! You SERIOUSLY going to go there? Well, congratulations...I'm sure you're right at home on Twitter. Good to know you are so absolutely perfect as well that you can give people shit about things they can't control.

Goddamn....some of you people....it's no wonder this world is swirling around the drain.
Calm down. He asked why and I was being honest. I didn’t insult him. What’s the bloody problem? You having a bad day?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Calm down. He asked why and I was being honest. I didn’t insult him. What’s the bloody problem? You having a bad day?

Lol. Sorry man...it is LATE here. I replied to the wrong damn post. Meant that for the guy who attached the wikipedia entry for "lisp" in his answer. Just pisses me off when people try to take others down like that. I hate bullies. Have a good night. With this...I'm going to SLEEP!

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hmm.

I fear that we're seeing the return of Arrogant Sony. There's too many things that they're starting to do wrong that is ruffling feathers.

£70 price of games.
No free PS4 > PS5 upgrades.
PS5 games also coming to PS4.
Spider-Man facial model recast.
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten about ...

I remember in the early PS3 days how Sony came across as expecting we'd all just buy it without complaint, owing to the success of the PS2. I feel the PS5 gen is going to be the same, at least to begin with.

Free upgrades are available for PS5. Not as easy as Microsoft and if Miles Morales is any indication then first party titles will follow in a similar anti-consumer way but it is there. Just do the extra search of which version to buy from anything EA, Activision, 2K, Sony.
Ubisoft games offer free upgrade with upcoming titles without bullshit. Simply free.

TBiddy

Expect this as standard for console ray tracing. Without DLSS you can't render the entire image at a much lower resolution then use AI to upscale for a convincing 4K image. So the other choice is you render the reflections at a lower resolution and maintain playable framerate. I don't mind it, it's not glaringly low res.

I'm sure it looks fine in motion, but it's obvious on the screenshots. Sometimes I'd wish we would stop nitpicking like that, because how many of us honestly looks that closely when we're playing?

Where else have we seen ray tracing in games which is very expensive, other than what Sony has shown ?

Its going to be a long wait to compare anything I bet

Good old whataboutism. I'm not here to start a war.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Lol. Sorry man...it is LATE here. I replied to the wrong damn post. Meant that for the guy who attached the wikipedia entry for "lisp" in his answer. Just pisses me off when people try to take others down like that. I hate bullies. Have a good night. With this...I'm going to SLEEP!
No problem, it happens! Have a good night!

geordiemp

I'm sure it looks fine in motion, but it's obvious on the screenshots. Sometimes I'd wish we would stop nitpicking like that, because how many of us honestly looks that closely when we're playing?

Good old whataboutism. I'm not here to start a war.

I am waiting for a Ps5 breakdown by Cerny so he can tell us all the performance tricks and efficiencies they are doing to get ray traced into the games, 6 months ago we were going to be happy with 4K and ray tacing was a distant dream.

It is interesting and well beyond expectations so early in this new gen, as Ps5 is obviously doing something very clever.

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Gold Member
First I've heard of it lol...welp I know i can't please everyone so I don't try to. I find my voice quite soothing and relaxing and I'm happy with it.

I feel bad for you tho....if something this small annoyed you then lord knows how angry you get in traffic lol
DWYD

They think you're the guy at the start of the video.

Zoro7

Banned
I am waiting for a Ps5 breakdown by Cerny so he can tell us all the performance tricks and efficiencies they are doing to get ray traced into the games, 6 months ago we were going to be happy with 4K and ray tacing was a distant dream.

It is interesting and well beyond expectations so early in this new gen, as Ps5 is obviously doing something very clever.

Almost certain now we will get a PS5 pro at some point. 3-4 years time.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Free upgrades are available for PS5. Not as easy as Microsoft and if Miles Morales is any indication then first party titles will follow in a similar anti-consumer way but it is there. Just do the extra search of which version to buy from anything EA, Activision, 2K, Sony.
Ubisoft games offer free upgrade with upcoming titles without bullshit. Simply free.

Miles Morales is itself a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5. I don't get how that is anti-consumer?

The remastered Spider-Man is a remaster in it's true sense. No different that what Ubisoft did for Assassin's Creed Remastered. It would only be anti-consumer if Sony went out of their way to stop you playing the PS4 version, but (as far as we know) they are not doing that, consumers are free to choose if it is good value or not.

Last edited:

DrDamn

This is the weirdest most frustrating console launch in history. I have never been so anti-hype before for new consoles. At this point I don't care what Sony or MS does. They've both fucked it up.

We're a month away from launch and we still don't know the full launch lineups, system UI walkthroughs, special console features, hardware breakdows. FUCK ALL !!!

It wouldn't cost you a damn thing to record a video of some hardware or software engineers breaking down the system's features and uploading it to their official channels.

Been thinking about this and think a lot of it is about how the "new" world of marketing and information works. On the one side they want to try and make sure they have a stream of new info to maintain hype and fill the time before launch. On the other side the gamers want everything now, hundreds of questions from all different types of gamer. Then you layer on the extreme scrutiny any information comes under from fans and fans of the "other side", and how things can be misinterpreted - deliberately by some. They have to be more careful about what they say, how they say it and consider all the click bait articles that might result.

Information gets so controlled because of us, so yes in an ideal world they could just make a video and chuck it out there, in reality it needs to go through filters, approvals of approval and scrutiny before it gets anywhere near us. :(

DWYD
Watched it, loved it!

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem s pixels got in too. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_ok:

Not annoying at all, and I'm a maniac in traffic.

xacto

Nope It's not. I'm from germany and I love this shit. I would feel honored If King would call me a N**** even If I'm clearly white.🤣😂👍

There are different levels of non-native English speakers; I've been living in about 4 different countries in Europe so far, and a shorter stint in Canada. No, I am not a native English speaker either, but for the past 22 years, I've been speaking nothing but English, and I have no problems with it, or different accents of it, or lisping or whatever people come up with.

Some people speak/read English well enough, but when it comes to pushing the envelope a bit, like our man Kingthrash Kingthrash does it here, it will probably become slightly more difficult for some of us, hence you will see people mentioning lisp, accent, voice inflection and so on.

Speaking of the video now which is absolute fire, it's definitely not for everyone, and it's fine, but questions were asked. I am not sure answers will be provided though. I know that it's hard, from a certain perspective, to look at it seriously, because bias stops most of us being objective (myself included, many times), but from a consumer perspective it does raise a lot of eyebrows. Or it should.

Anyway, once again, thanks Kingthrash Kingthrash for putting the work in it, I personally enjoyed it. Your mileage may vary though.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No, you're not. It's probably perceived that way by the non-native English speakers. Thanks for the video!
I can confirm that I'm not a native english speaker and Kingthrash Kingthrash sometimes speaks too fast or with a vocabulary I'm not at ease with but I still can understand 99% of what he says, though sometimes I do have to rewind a bit and listen again but I ultimately understand.
I do have more trouble when he raps but I feel it's more like his voice is too low in those segments (might be cultural because some of you know I'm french and in french most voices have gain over background noises check an english and a french youtuber and you'll hear it instantly.We are used to louder voices).

kyliethicc

Almost certain now we will get a PS5 pro at some point. 3-4 years time.
I'm not so sure. Few issues are:

1. PS5 is already at $500 and rather large. I don't think they will want to go over $500 or make the box larger.
2. Die shrink is necessary, because a ~ 72 CU PS5 Pro on 7nm would be too power hungry, too expensive, too big of a box.
3. 5nm fab process won't be cheaper than 7nm. It will just save on power/heat and allow for a smaller die, but only if specs are the same.

So I think the obvious goals for a 2023 PS5 revision would be to shrink the box, reduce power consumption, add more storage, and lower prices. I suspect the PS5 revision in 2023 will be:

PS5 slim 5nm SOC 1.65 TB disc model - $500 (where a PS5 Pro would have been priced)
PS5 slim 5nm SOC 1.65 TB digital model - $400
PS5 slim 5nm SOC 825 GB digital model - $350

I'm not sure how Sony could manage to produce a $500 PS5 Pro with more power, more storage, with a larger die on a more expensive node, all while keeping the console small enough and profitable.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Will be interesting to see the first real gameplay analysis from DF yeah.

Garani

Stop it! You have to understand that the XSX hasn’t shown any game yet. Be responsible and caring: do not trigger Xbox fans!

Nope It's not. I'm from germany and I love this shit. I would feel honored If King would call me a N**** even If I'm clearly white.🤣😂👍

because its use is not derogatory. And we from Europe don’t really care much about it.

I can confirm that I'm not a native english speaker and Kingthrash Kingthrash sometimes speaks too fast or with a vocabulary I'm not at ease with

A good opportunity to expand your vocabulary. And you make a good point: Kingthrash Kingthrash uses a high school level vocabulary, but it is full of idioms and not everyone gets it. But that’s ok.

might be cultural because some of you know I'm french and in french most voices have gain over background noises check an english and a french youtuber and you'll hear it instantly.We are used to louder voices

this is another good point you make. He doesn’t do a proper volume control. And I get your point. I am Italian but lived extensively in Singapore and the UK, I have lived in communities with Asians, American and Europeans mingling together, and I am currently working for a French employer. I had to adapt, but not everyone had my luck of being exposed to so much diversity.

Last edited:

xPikYx

It is October I hope we're gonna see some next gen stuff since we're only one month away from launch, stop being this silent

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Stop it! You have to understand that the XSX hasn’t shown

because it’s use is not derogatory. And we from Europe don’t really care much about it.

A good opportunity to expand your vocabulary. And you make a good point: Kingthrash Kingthrash uses a high school level vocabulary, but it is full of idioms and not everyone gets it. But that’s ok.

this is another good point you make. He doesn’t do a proper volume control. And I get your point. I ammItalian but loved extensively in Singapore and the UK, I have lived in communities with Asians, American and Europeans mingle together, and I am currently working for a French employer. I had to adapt, but not everyone had my luck of being exposed to so much diversity.
Yeah he is totally understandable provided that you are used to listenning to english without subtitles.
About audio mix it's funny because before listening to movies and series with their original audio you may think (like I used to) that it is common in every country.But in reality it is not, like you mentionned being italian and it's highly probable that italian people may think french speaks too low because it appears we do speak at a lower volume than italian in videos.And each country does their audio mix according to their country's unspoken cultural audio mix.I watched some african youtubers (can't tell what country they were from) and boy do they mix music loud.I felt like the youtuber had to scream sometimes to be heard.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Miles Morales is itself a free upgrade from PS4 to PS5. I don't get how that is anti-consumer?

The remastered Spider-Man is a remaster in it's true sense. No different that what Ubisoft did for Assassin's Creed Remastered. It would only be anti-consumer if Sony went out of their way to stop you playing the PS4 version, but (as far as we know) they are not doing that, consumers are free to choose if it is good value or not.

All upgrade are remasters on PS5. That’s why saves don’t transfer. Simply the digital version of the game for digital but require the disc for physical for authentication. It’s the same but Sony choose to say remaster to put it behind a paywall for people who already paid for the base game. CDPR and Ubisoft choose to say upgrade an offer it for free. The reason behind it is because people will buy a cheap base Spiderman copy and get an upgrade on PS5 for free and they don’t want that. The same exact thing with CDPR and Witcher 3 which you can get for dirt cheap yet it is free next-gen upgrade.

geordiemp

It is October I hope we're gonna see some next gen stuff since we're only one month away from launch, stop being this silent

Do you think Microsft will show some games with ray tracing and high quality effects before launch or will they remain silent ?

Shmunter

Yep, parts of the world may be ray traced, but Spider-Man character is pasted in. Probably screen space.

Don’t really care personally because smart tricks by devs are what gives performance and visuals that punch above their weight. But people interested need to know.

NEbeast

All upgrade are remasters on PS5. That’s why saves don’t transfer. Simply the digital version of the game for digital but require the disc for physical for authentication. It’s the same but Sony choose to say remaster to put it behind a paywall for people who already paid for the base game. CDPR and Ubisoft choose to say upgrade an offer it for free. The reason behind it is because people will buy a cheap base Spiderman copy and get an upgrade on PS5 for free and they don’t want that. The same exact thing with CDPR and Witcher 3 which you can get for dirt cheap yet it is free next-gen upgrade.

Huh? MM is a free upgrade, and saves transfer.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really don;t understand the problem.

Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS4 & PS5) = New game, built cross-gen. Buy PS4 and you get the PS5 version included.
Spider-Man Remastered (PS5) = Old game, rebuilt for PS5 only. Buy it for ~$20 (via MM in game or bundled as part of MM ultimate) if you want or don't.
Spider-Man (PS4) = If you own this, you can still play it as it was sold to you on PS5.

What is the problem here? Developers have done work and are giving people the option to buy if they want. If you don't value that work then don't buy it.

ksdixon

I want to fact-check something before I continue talking to my friend.

• The current prevailing rumor is that there is still one big name game remaster/remake coming for PS5, correct?
  • Frontrunners being Silent Hill, MGS or SOCOM, correct?
  • Whom is this rumor(s) credited to?

Last edited:
It's LIVE!!!

d5bd4e441ed3a7a4606e31c41a2b16c5.gif

kyliethicc

I want to fact-check something before I continue talking to my friend.

• The current prevailing rumor is that there is still one big name game remaster/remake coming for PS5, correct?
  • Frontrunners being Silent Hill, MGS or SOCOM, correct?
  • Whom is this rumor(s) credited to?

Rumor is its Metal Gear Solid getting remake. SOCOM rumor is for a brand new reboot game, different thing.

ksdixon

Rumor is its Metal Gear Solid getting remake. SOCOM rumor is for a brand new reboot game, different thing.

Thanks man. I also get confused on the rumored Japan Studio Silent Hill game. I've heard both that it's a Remaster of SH1, and that it's supposed to be a new Reboot game in the SH universe to be some new person's SH vision?

I am guessing that all 3 (MGS, SH, SOCOM), all are only talking about a possible reveal announcement happening soon, and the games are still years-out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom