• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

There is talk on twitterverse right now that the internal M.2 SSD for the PS5 will be replaceable, not that it includes a second slot for an additional hard drive. God i hope that isn't true.
No. The PS5's custom 825 GB SSD is not an internal M.2 SSD. Not removable.

It will likely be flash soldered onto the motherboard, same as XSX and Switch.

The expansion bay is a separate thing.

Last edited:
There is talk on twitterverse right now that the internal M.2 SSD for the PS5 will be replaceable, not that it includes a second slot for an additional hard drive. God i hope that isn't true.

YGAQz18dd8Ri.gif

Understand, fair point. I guess one could buy say a 500 GB drive and then replace that one with a larger drive years later. You could technically have multiple, but installing each one over and over again would suck.

Thats the main advantage of the Xbox cards. One could have 2/3 of them and quickly swap them to play various games.

PS5 will not be like that. I think it will be like installing a drive inside a PC or a PS4 etc. Boring, slow, and not intended for fast swapping or multiple drives.
Yeah, this was my point and that other guy.

If I'm going to have to open up and removal a PS5 SSD, that's fine. Not preferred. Now ask that of your everyday consumer. Games are huge. Warzone will be on PS5/XSX. These harddrives are not enough and if I need to go through an extensive process to remove my SSD instead of waiting thirty minutes for me to delete a game and download the game I want to play, that's not preferred. Especially since writing and rewriting data of this size on an SSD is how they wear out.

Small issue. I'll be using an external HDD for my PS4 games if thats allowed. Need the teardown, need clarification on the memory.

Great Hair

Banned
It's not a nitpick. Have you seen the size of games recently? And we've got less than 1TB to work with at launch (I've already got mine preordered so don't get me misconstrued).

Have you seen the prices of 1TB for comparable drives? It's definitely a concern, the complication to remove the harddrive. The frequency of removal or adjustment doesn't matter. If I must pay $200 for a 1TB to add to the internal drive, then I'm going to want a few of those. That's pretty simple to understand. And it becomes cost prohibitive. Nevermind the increase in the size of games going forward.

It's not all nitpicking. Brainfart on your own part.

you two are fucking nitpicking on the positioning of the damn thing. You two jumped the gun, assumed that you had to lift the console up every time you wanna swap it out, even though we HAVE NOT seen it yet, how to upgrade it ...

Again, if you wanna get you arse up all time for some fucking reason and turn around your series X to unplug your nvme card, .... not sure why you wanna do it (since like you mentioned, these things cost a fortune). So your initial point/upvote contradicts your second point (in your reply).

NO ONE, not even you will swap the expansion card ssd every fokin day. you plug the damn thing and leave it be. Woopiedoo ... how hard it must be to hold the console with one hand and unplug the damn thing (SSD) with the other, again assuming the ssd gets inserted at the bottom of the PS5 (like you two think it will be).

kyliethicc

If I'm going to have to open up and removal a PS5 SSD, that's fine. Not preferred. Now ask that of your everyday consumer. Games are huge. Warzone will be on PS5/XSX. These harddrives are not enough and if I need to go through an extensive process to remove my SSD instead of waiting thirty minutes for me to delete a game and download the game I want to play, that's not preferred. Especially since writing and rewriting data of this size on an SSD is how they wear out.

Small issue. I'll be using an external HDD for my PS4 games if thats allowed. Need the teardown, need clarification on the memory.
You'll definitely want to keep large external USB hard drives around for storing games.

you two are fucking nitpicking on the positioning of the damn thing. You two jumped the gun, assumed that you had to lift the console up every time you wanna swap it out, even though we HAVE NOT seen it yet, how to upgrade it ...

Again, if you wanna get you arse up all time for some fucking reason and turn around your series X to unplug your nvme card, .... not sure why you wanna do it (since like you mentioned, these things cost a fortune). So your initial point/upvote contradicts your second point (in your reply).

NO ONE, not even you will swap the expansion card ssd every fokin day. you plug the damn thing and leave it be. Woopiedoo ... how hard it must be to hold the console with one hand and unplug the damn thing (SSD) with the other, again assuming the ssd gets inserted at the bottom of the PS5 (like you two think it will be).
Damn, you're dense.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What are the chances of PS+ members having discounts on digital games. Lets say going forward if you are a PS+ member you have a 20% discount when you preorder a game. Kind of like how it was with Amazon and Best Buy.

It's already in practice with some games, might see it more visible going forward.

HAL-01

What are the chances of PS+ members having discounts on digital games. Lets say going forward if you are a PS+ member you have a 20% discount when you preorder a game. Kind of like how it was with Amazon and Best Buy.
There's always been sales where users with PS+ have a greater discount. Though i could see either PS or MS keeping digital games at $60, while physical go to $70, to further incentivize a transition to digital. They will do what it takes so that they can release digital only slim models.

Also i dont understand why people are losing their minds talking about expansion bays and slots. I'm just waiting for the UI

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You better start spamming insomniac's twitter Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

I don't use twitter. My most used social media app is whatsapp, then instagram, then facebook. Overall, I don't like twitter.

Also, I would happily pay if I'm interested in the remastered version. I usually don't play games I've beaten. Might buy the $70 version if it includes further DLC's. Many times I've recieved games I've already bought, like Ultimate version of Watch Dogs 2 or Far Cry 5.

vwluke

Neo Member
There's always been sales where users with PS+ have a greater discount. Though i could see either PS or MS keeping digital games at $60, while physical go to $70, to further incentivize a transition to digital. They will do what it takes so that they can release digital only slim models.

Also i dont understand why people are losing their minds talking about expansion bays and slots. I'm just waiting for the UI

Now that you mention it there aren't any prices up for PS5 games on PSN yet so its possible that they stay at $60. only expectation is that the new COD is showing up on PSN for 69.00.

I don't use twitter. My most used social media app is whatsapp, then instagram, then facebook. Overall, I don't like twitter.

Also, I would happily pay if I'm interested in the remastered version. I usually don't play games I've beaten. Might buy the $70 version if it includes further DLC's. Many times I've recieved games I've already bought, like Ultimate version of Watch Dogs 2 or Far Cry 5.
RE-PAY is the correct word here.
and I am sure you are in the minuscule minority of people that like to re-pay for things they have already paid for.
anyway..........

Neo Blaster

My assumption was that a “slot” is for something external to go in.

I was under the impression Sony were taking a path that blends what they’ve always done with what Microsoft has done.

Change the internal drive and allow external USB for storage of PS5 games and running of PS4 games
Lol no, exchanging the highly customized PS5 SSD for a commercial alternative would make no sense at all, it's most probably soldered to the PCB.

It´s official!!!!! Uncharted the Movie gonna blow ass... :lollipop_grimacing:

Games to movie success rate is pretty bad. Only one that has gone on a roll is what Resident Evil. There's loads of these films. General pubic really don't give a toss about gaming characters. Gaming is decent hobby it's popular in this world. Buts its not top tier social go to's. Music ,Movies ,TV shows, Sports, partying ,holidays ,Celebritys are well above gaming in worldwide social popularity. Regardless of gaming profits & money.

Game characters are just not popular to masses. They better have low projections cause the movie has straight to DVD vibes. Most PS exclusives wont make good films or TV shows. We all know. Uncharted is a TV show at best. There was a fan made video by the Nathan Fillion guy. That was decent watch. Uncharted is a TV show at best.

The last of us TV show is going to bomb hard if people consider that epic story. They really need to watch more movies. Ratchet & Clank already had a movie nobody talks about including Sony. Honestly out of the exclusives. Days gone is the only one I can see go into a great TV show. Its Sons of anarchyX Walking dead. God of war has a chance as a SpartacusX300 TV show. Ghost of Tsushima maybe as TV show probably better as an anime. Blood Borne is an anime easily.

Cinema & Hollywierd are too high a level of art for these games. TV shows is where PS games should sit at. Oh well lets just see some of these projects lose money. And PS go back to their lane.

Last edited:

Md Ray

I know the Series X has more compute units, but what's the real world difference gonna be? 18%? What's that gonna equate to in terms of increased resolution or effects? Someone remind me again the real world difference between PS4 and Xbox One.
Hitman is a game that runs at 1080p with identical graphics settings on both XB1 and PS4 and the frame-rate also happens to be uncapped. So we can see how both consoles perform:

ezdnBv0.jpg

PS4 has 40% more TFLOPs, but real world performance translates to a bit less than that in this instance.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

External drives can be used as cold storage for PS5 games, if you want to play a game just move it to the SSD, and after finishing it you can move it back. If you can bear all this game swapping between disks, you'll never need to open your console.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Cinema & Hollywierd are too high a level of art for these games. TV shows is where PS games should sit at. Oh well lets just see some of these projects lose money. And PS go back to their lane.

Two points:

1. You think cinema is too high art for game stories? Have you seen a Michael Bay film?

2. TV is the far better medium for great storytelling, especially on streaming sites like Netflix. It’s MUCH better than the movies are these days.

When are you writing your post from? 2003?

Last edited:
Hitman is a game that runs at 1080p with identical graphics settings on both XB1 and PS4 and the frame-rate also happens to be uncapped. So we can see how both consoles perform:

ezdnBv0.jpg

PS4 has 40% more TFLOPs, but real world performance translates to a bit less than that.

Isn't the difference between the PS4 and the X1 greater than the difference between the XSX and PS5?

Isn't the difference between the PS4 and the X1 greater than the difference between the XSX and PS5?

More than double as big.

Sorry if posted but new Carbon Black controller seems to be launching soon maybe?

Got to see one at my local Game Stop earlier feels the same as current do like the textured triggers.

$60 is cheaper than Dualsense.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Games to movie success rate is pretty bad. Only one that has gone on a roll is what Resident Evil. There's loads of these films. General pubic really don't give a toss about gaming characters. Gaming is decent hobby it's popular in this world. Buts its not top tier social go to's. Music ,Movies ,TV shows, Sports, partying ,holidays ,Celebritys are well above gaming in worldwide social popularity. Regardless of gaming profits & money.

Game characters are just not popular to masses. They better have low projections cause the movie has straight to DVD vibes. Most PS exclusives wont make good films or TV shows. We all know. Uncharted is a TV show at best. There was a fan made video by the Nathan Fillion guy. That was decent watch. Uncharted is a TV show at best.

The last of us TV show is going to bomb hard if people consider that epic story. They really need to watch more movies. Ratchet & Clank already had a movie nobody talks about including Sony. Honestly out of the exclusives. Days gone is the only one I can see go into a great TV show. Its Sons of anarchyX Walking dead. God of war has a chance as a SpartacusX300 TV show. Ghost of Tsushima maybe as TV show probably better as an anime. Blood Borne is an anime easily.

Actually that's the perfect Nathan Drake actor!

zaitsu

Banned
That is interesting because the recommended specs, outside of the CPU of course, are in line with the Xbox One X. Does CP2077 have a 60fps mode on console?
Yes. But it not stable 60fps, more like unblocked framrate. I dont know how it ends. I think they will leave it unblocked. PS5 and XSX on the same settings could be even 120 FPS

Last edited:

splattered

Sorry if posted but new Carbon Black controller seems to be launching soon maybe?

Got to see one at my local Game Stop earlier feels the same as current do like the textured triggers.

How did the new d-pad feel? The new controller videos people were posting from the riot sales people said it sounded cheap and clicky etc

Also, i thought you were totally team Playstation for next gen, what happened?

I saw the post you made about getting an XSX to play with your son, but are you also getting a PS5? Maybe just not at launch?

Md Ray

It is. 40% difference between PS4 & XB1 vs. 18% between XSX & PS5 in computational power. Even the bandwidth difference is greater between PS4 and the XB1 than XSX & PS5.

The differences on the PS4 Pro/XB1X side - GPU, bandwidth-wise is even larger than base consoles. PS5 is much closer to XSX, in comparison.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How did the new d-pad feel? The new controller videos people were posting from the riot sales people said it sounded cheap and clicky etc

Also, i thought you were totally team Playstation for next gen, what happened?

I saw the post you made about getting an XSX to play with your son, but are you also getting a PS5? Maybe just not at launch?

I may eventually get a PS5 one day and yeah I am a pretty diehard Sony fan I just dont care about anything they have for now.

I do plan on having a new prebuilt pc with a 3080 and probably play 90% of my games there.

Honestly its hard to me to compare the D pad because I don't use stock controllers I am a big fan of the Razer Wolverine Ultimate I think it destroys anything Xbox has to offer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yep and I think a bald Jason Momoa a bit more buffed would be perfect...Other than him ... heh ... The rock but with the face of someone else maybe ?

No, The Rock is more than perfect, and he already has a good relationship with Sony Pictures and even made a silly game on PS4 for Jumanji. But I'd rather have the voice actor of GOW PS4. He has massive body, and majestic voice.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
It is. 40% difference between PS4 & XB1 vs. 18% between XSX & PS5 in computational power. Even the bandwidth difference is greater between PS4 and the XB1 than XSX & PS5.

The differences on the PS4 Pro/XB1X side - GPU, bandwidth-wise is even larger than base consoles. PS5 is much closer to XSX, in comparison.
I mean really.
You have money and want to play fancypancy singleplayer Sony games with probably highest budget in industry - buy PS5.
You dont have money and Sony exclusives arent something you MUST play - buy Xbox for gamepass and 15% better fps/resolution in multiplats.

Thats it.

Simple.

Kerlurk

Banned

I've posted this before in this thread long ago.

pcy2z0g.png

I've pro-rated the memory on the XSX, as not sure how else you can make the comparison.
((10/16)*560) + ((6/16)*336) = 476 GB/s

Yes, I know you mentioned the orig PS4 and X1X, but have not made that comparison.

Visualizing helps.

Edit: slight update here (it's on the next page, if you want to continue reading on through):

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom