• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Md Ray

PS5's main variable frequency feature is custom, and that's not AMD's smartshift. Smartshift is used on top of the main technique 'to push few more pixels', it's complementary. People seem to forget about that fact.
Yes, more specifically what SmartShift does is that it sends unused power from the CPU to GPU and vice versa depending on the workload. Explicitly different from the variable frequency technique.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A week ago the Series S was being dragged for potentially holding games back, but now we have Sony with their policy on Horizon, and Cyberpunk being designed to run on a potato 😂😂😂

PS5 is only for a very short time, the massive problem with XSS is it'll hold the entire generation for 7 years, assuming Satya won't intervene and shut down xbox division. For Cyberpunk, I think the downgrade is due to the game size, as it's said to be around 200GB or so.

FAKE. FAKE. FAKE. FAKE. SHAME ON ME. SHAME ON ME. SHAME ON ME.
last.jpg

Last edited:

BoxFresh123

The original Eurogamer article is confusing... it says that the internal storage is replaceable plus you have another place for a expansible SSD.

Just looked. They did update it.

"Update (April 28th, 2020): An earlier version of this article said the storage expansion process would require users to "replace the internal SSD with a larger drive". Sony has not clarified either way whether additional storage will be a replacement, or an addition, to the 825GB drive offered at launch. We'll continue to update this article with further clarifications when we hear more."

This Christmas will be crazy with everyone having either a PS5 or Xbox under their trees. A part of me is ready for that holiday launch excitement that we only feel for new consoles. The other part of me still hopes I can secure my ps5 for Christmas, so I can participate in that excitement and not be disappointed.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet - apologies in advance if it has - but on the whole power narrative comparison between the XsX and Ps5 - in literal terms - am I right in thinking the numbers a few pages back showing the ps5 PSU being rated at a 30 or 40 more watts than the XsX is confirmed?

Obviously the two consoles share quite a bit of core technology - with different customisations - but if we assume at worst case that the ps5 is (at a minimum) as power efficient as the XsX - but probably more efficient with constant clock boosting and smartshift - then wouldn't it be logical to assume that if the XsX's 12TF/s can out compute the 10tf/s of the ps5, as is assumed, then the PSU ratings are round the wrong way, and the XsX would need more supply to service that additional computation, no?

FranXico

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet - apologies in advance if it has - but on the whole power narrative comparison between the XsX and Ps5 - in literal terms - am I right in thinking the numbers a few pages back showing the ps5 PSU being rated at a 30 or 40 more watts than the XsX is confirmed?

Obviously the two consoles share quite a bit of core technology - with different customisations - but if we assume at worst case that the ps5 is (at a minimum) as power efficient as the XsX - but probably more efficient with constant clock boosting and smartshift - then wouldn't it be logical to assume that if the XsX's 12TF/s can out compute the 10tf/s of the ps5, as is assumed, then the PSU ratings are round the wrong way, and the XsX would need more supply to service that additional computation, no?
There's more parts dissipating heat than the GPU/CPU. PS5 has a power hungry faster SSD and a few extra fixed function units.

THE:MILKMAN

My guess is at the end of the day they will both draw very similar amounts of power from the wall. I would say ~ 180W give or take. XSX more CUs/lower clock, PS5 less CUs/higher clock cancel each other out.

I don't know the reason why but Sony always spec a higher watt PSU than Microsoft. e.g 360 ~203W, PS3 399W or PS4 Pro 310W, One X 245W.

Kerlurk

Banned
What is a compatible drive with PS5?

For one, it has to be a PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive.

Sony said they will release a list of all drives that have the performance metrics to support the special SSD I/O that the PS5 has.

Slower speed drives will probably still work (I'm speculating), but will hamper the game play experience.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well, I just used the Sony "invite" system to get my pre-order. There weren't many details beforehand but in case there are other "waves" of this here's how it went:

Had looked at the email link previously and was able to sign in to my Sony account and add items like the extra controller, charger or camera, so you can pre-load your shopping cart.

I had logged in early this morning and there was nothing but when I tried again about an hour before "go time" there was a count down timer and it said I would be in the "queue" for ordering. When time expired I was taken to (Yeah!) the same page I had been to previously. So all I had to do was add the actual console to my shopping cart and check out. I got to a confirmation page that my order had gone thru and the option to review account or "keep shopping." There was no confirmation number so I tried to view the account but that appeared to throw me back in the queue process with about an hour wait time.

About 10 minutes after I had completed the transaction, I got confirmation emails...one email per item, that verified my order and say that I should receive the product "on or before" November 12th.

So...I've never ordered something this way before...not using an Amazon or GameStop, etc. So I'm a little curious about how I'd handle any warranty issues....but we'll see. I guess the good thing is that at least I was able to reserve a PS5! So hopefully I'm set. I need to use my credits with GameStop for some of the pre-order games, or I would have ordered them at the same time.

Anyway, if that's of any use to anyone....

zaitsu

Banned
So I keep hearing MS has money hatted a big 3rd party for Gamepass but havent heard who for sure.

Watching the Cyberpunk show kind of hoping it says day one on Gamepass, is that too much to ask?
My friend from CDP cant know for sure, but there are rumors inside the studio that CP2077 price was to high for MS. They know how good it would probably sell. Those are talks on higher level on common devs are rumoring like we all.
His bet is dirt5 or immortal fenyx rising.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
whats probability of getting a faulty first version PS5 considering PS3 and PS4 in the past?
most of my friends will wait a couple of months saying they had bad experiences before. but I'm kindda hyped and want to get it day one 🤦🏻‍♂️
Just get it day one. If it doesn't work, you'll get a new one and have to wait 1-2 weeks. If it works, it works. The other option is to wait a couple of months? Is the wait worth more than maybe having to spend 20-30min to arrange faulty PS5?

Get it day one

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Walmart will have in-store pre-orders for PlayStation 5 on September 22
Digital Trends reached out to several retailers to try and get some clarity regarding availability, and Walmart replied with some actionable info. They will be reopening pre-orders for the PS5 on Tuesday, September 22, but you will have to do so in an actual store.

So, when i asked about did someone made a screenshot of that FUD tweet from Xbox Discord...

And.....Blue took it. Thank you, blue to be such an idiot to support false info and provide me a screenshot. You're awesome. At least some benefit from you.

@sircaw

Do you have a room for another FUD update?

Oh, well :

Blue is using himself as his source to confirm that what Blue said its true.

Please, believe it, Sony fanboys!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom