• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverHeat

« generous god »
When will this sink in? Another 1 month reply ban. This is the tech thread, not a 'move other discussions here' thread.
…disappointed with those graphics so far I won’t lie.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
All you do is complain. Like 90% of your posts are complaints. Why don’t you wait to se the gameplay before getting your knickers in a twist?
Nonsense. Here are just a sample of my posts in the last two days before this morning's news.

Gushing over Death Stranding's character models.
Yep.

fefa6acc22dc57d9e07e6af264e061a570fa7cc1.gifv

Kojima did this on a 1.84 tflops gpu.
Gushing over Horizon Forbidden West's water tech.
their waves tech stood out to me as well. I havent seen it in any game this gen so i just assumed it was next gen.

WL7OFUc.gif

The water in the first Horizon looked pretty bad, but this is way better than anything we have seen this gen.
Gushing over the UE5 reveal.
My god this UNreal engine demo area looks amazing. they are walking around a big open area right now.

Running on series x!!!

Their new AAA solution 'Temporal Super Resolution' creates sharper and stable image than before with quality approaching native 4k at the cost of 1080p.
Praising both Sony and MS for their I/O processors.
Recommended is more eye opening. 64 GBs? That tells me that the PCs are basically bruteforcing everything like I had expected. Both Sony and MS have done a phenomenal job with their I/O to get away with just 16GB of RAM when PCs are asking for 64 GB of System RAM on top of the 8GB of VRAM in GPUs.

I only have 16 GB of RAM plus 8 GB of VRAM and 6 core CPU so I am very curious to see just what kind of performance I get. I suspect it will run just fine and Epic are likely including the overhead of the editor in their recommend and minimum requirements.

Literally just this morning, i was speculating about the UE5 requirements wondering if the XSS can even run it.
So after around 4 hours of messing about, i wasnt able to get this demo to work. I cannot run it off of the HDD. It crashes with some Direct3d error. I cant move it to SSD because the main 100 GB install has to be done on the SSD and i dont have 200 GB of empty space. This is what I get for buying a prebuilt PC.

But does anyone here have a 4 tflops GPU? I am curious to know what resolution it runs at if the 2080 is running this at 1440p 30 fps. My friend has a RX570 which is 5 tflops but its a polaris GPU which IIRC didnt have any primitive shader support like the vega cards. So we need either a 5500m or a 5600 downclocked to run at 4 Tflops.

Beyond 3d shows 6GB of VRAM plus 3-4 GB of System RAM required to run it at native 4k. That should come down a little for 1080p but by how much is the question because at 10GB they are already beyond the XSS specs.

Another thing I realized is that the 10 GB of RAM is below the 13.5 GB of RAM available in next gen consoles. Assuming the PS5 is around there somewhere. That means this demo with absolutely no ingame logic, no destruction, no NPCs, no foliage or any kind of interactivity is already taking up 80% of the ram available. I suspect RAM is going to force them to downgrade the visuals a bit even if the GPUs can handle it.

Also took the time to make gifs to show off the UE5 demo.

Some gifs from the UE5 demo.

rYg9Qdz.gif

SE7CzsQ.gif

00m4Rx0.gif

it's not my fault that Sony chose to show off the game in a poor light for five fucking hours. You dont want to discuss what they are showing off right now? Want to wait and see? Fine by me. I will never call you out. Just leave the thread. Or put me on ignore.

Last edited:

jose4gg

When will this sink in? Another 1 month reply ban. This is the tech thread, not a 'move other discussions here' thread.
I definitely believe this is just a hard joke, big expectations, people start talking about the game in a bad way, a lot of social interactions been generated, and pum, this is PS4, now let's see the main event, PS5...

SlimySnake

I edited my post, lol.

Both of yall are tripping.
my name is still there though. fake news!

I definitely believe this is just a hard joke, big expectations, people start talking about the game in a bad way, a lot of social interactions been generated, and pum, this is PS4, now let's see the main event, PS5...
Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Could just be a filter of some kind as well. I've never played Horizon and know nothing about it, but are there surveillance cameras or something like that in it? If that's what they are creating here than being "at" those locations might look different.

SlimySnake

Could just be a filter of some kind as well. I've never played Horizon and know nothing about it, but are there surveillance cameras or something like that in it? If that's what they are creating here than being "at" those locations might look different.
These two shots are also framed that way and look way better than the stuff shown earlier.

M9pXLgk.gif

unknown.png

DaGwaphics

These two shots are also framed that way and look way better than the stuff shown earlier.

M9pXLgk.gif

unknown.png

Still look like they could have the same general filter. Biggest difference seems to be that most of the image is blocked in with trees that are a bit closer to camera, limits the draw distance a bit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That would be quite misleading though, for such a highly anticipated game, very risky.

They must be aware of the flak they would receive when the true quality emerges, if that were the case.

Have they done anything like that in the past?

What would be misleading? It wasn't a gameplay demo.. they are literally calling today's presentation the "Gameplay reveal."

And as I said, I expect cinematic portions of the final game to be very close to what we saw last year, but Gameplay won't quite be there. And yes, they've "done that before", as in have cinematic sequences up some of the graphical quality.

You expect to optimize things in over a year.. so I wouldn't fine anything in-engine pre-rendered particularly misleading as long as they come close. They might also totally pull that off.. my main point was.. it wasn't gameplay.

BUT.. they already did mislead people last year with Kena. In the same presentation as HFW... so the idea that HFW contained pre-rendered scenes is believable.

Last edited:

Stooky

M9pXLgk.gif

unknown.png
of course! the game has time of day, cloud cover changes, lighting changes dynamically, there will be times where its doesn't look its best. Plus with image compression any single screen shot of any game can make it look bad.

chilichote

At the beginning of the stream, when they faded in the first scene from HFW, it was displayed in that this is not gameplay but in-engine scenes. I don't remember if there was any mention of PS5. Maybe this is actually just PS4 Pro InEngine material.

However, I still think it looks better than anything we've seen from Halo Infinite so far^^

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Bit better stream for me, someone posted in the other thread.

From an art design perspective this series is gorgeous to me.. and this stream is clearly low resolution... it's a teaser.. I think the real stream is gonna be in 4k and incredibly looking.

Last edited:

Bit better stream for me, someone posted in the other thread.

From an art design perspective this series is gorgeous to me.. and this stream is clearly low resolution... it's a teaser.. I think the real stream is gonna be in 4k and incredibly looking.

This reminds me, I highly recommend everyone watch the gameplay again in 4K after the showcase.

Youtube compression and the stream being restricted to 1080P usually kills a lot of quality.

Okamiden

I get it, we all have opinions...but SlimySnake SlimySnake Okamiden Okamiden to say it looks worse than Halo Infinite initial reveal is a hell of a take, lol.

And I know these 2 games will get compared to hell n back since both are cross gen. I am confident HFW will look better than that first Infinite reveal.

Sony put the better stream first in the blog (Twitch)....and then proceeded to embed the worse looking one, (Youtube) lol. Make sure the stream is set to 1080p. Sadly we have to wait for a 4K upload later.

Yeah, looks like shit. Past-gen if I ever seen one

GG did this on a PS4:

horizon zero dawn GIF
horizon zero dawn playstation GIF

So, yeah. I don't think we have anything to worry about for H:FW, even if it's more a modest improvement because of cross-gen.

We've known it's cross-gen now for months. Why are we suddenly inflating our expectations and expecting the game to look like the UE5 demo?... WTF...!

IntentionalPun

I love the amount of movement going on... different birds, some bugs.. leaves swaying.. leaves falling from trees... water moving.

That was partly what made Ghosts of Tsushima such a lovely experience graphically. It wasn't about crazy high resolution details.. just beautiful art direction and a sense of a living world was enough.

From a technical "design" perspective the game was brilliant too. The game clearly leveraged a huge portion of shared assets for the entire world for instance.. the lack of load times sort of spelled that out.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

GG did this on a PS4:

horizon zero dawn GIF

So, yeah. I don't think we have anything to worry about for H:FW, even if it's more a modest improvement because of cross-gen.

We've known it's cross-gen now for months. Why are we suddenly inflating our expectations and expecting the game to look like the UE5 demo?... WTF...!
We should compare it to the reveal trailer Sony said was captured from PS5.

Anyway, just read on era that a GG dev on reddit confirmed this is all gameplay.

IntentionalPun

Y'all either need to stop using "gameplay" to describe in-engine real time scripted sequences or I need to just get over it lol

But unless this game features gameplay involving a hovering spy camera.. that isn't gameplay!

ARRRGHH!

We’re getting some gorgeous shots on the YT stream, some are the same locations but different times of the day. So maybe some kind of dynamic lighting and even weather systems?

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah, the heavily compressed 1080p shot totally looks bad, I'm sure the final game in 4k will look even worse!
/s

Geez people, it's a compressed stream, there is little you can take away from it about how the final game will look. Let's wait for the 4k gameplay first.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well, I don't know yet about the specifics like draw distance, LOD's and 4k, RT, etc. But DAYUUUM.....Forbidden West looks GOOD. The animation quality and the detail look great and smooth. Can't wait! I hope it comes out this year!

Oh, and I hope my damn power cell armor carries over into the new game! :)

yewles1

The water is amazing, the waves astound me in this game. Hyped for Horizon.

## UPDATE ##
The thread will remain closed. While it served a purpose when the official specifications were not known, or still subject to revisions, it served as a containment area for all the crossover discussions. We did review closing the thread when the official specifications for each console were revealed. We decided to keep it open, in the hope it fostered other peripheral topics in a congenial manner. That was some time ago now, we then tried to update the thread to capture more general technical topics. Over time, we have issued the most reply bans in this thread, delivered most of the soft touch/nudge notifications in here and now (after a chat) feel it's best to close the curtain. The thread has strayed far from its purpose and has morphed into a non specific thread that doesn't really please anyone. We would ask OTs are created for the focused topics (e.g. Unreal Tech, memory architecture, texture streaming etc.) and the relevant community threads are used as reaction threads beyond the reveal/event threads.
## ##### ##

Mod edit: Clearly the reply bans and multiple mod posts are doing nothing. We gave the community in this thread ample time and notification that if it turned into a meta thread it would be closed. The thread is now closed. We will consider reopening in a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom