• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen, Diminishing Returns, and Keanu Reeves.

Portugeezer

Diminishing Returns Squad on Suicide watch.

In terms of character model however, there is a clear hit when the demo opens up. Goes from "can't tell difference" to the classic "uncanny valley" we've had in games for a few years now, albeit at even higher quality that's for sure.

Hunnybun

Diminishing returns doesn't mean no graphical evolution, it means the graphical evolution slows down over time, a logarithmic curve.

Compare matrix awakens with Watchdogs 2 that came out 5 years ago

There are improvements? Definitely. Most notably the amount of npcs and less pop ins.

But now compare GTA 4 with GTA SA that also have a 4-5 year difference between them.

The difference is so stark, not only in graphics but also physics, that comparing the two feels almost like a joke

I don't think those examples prove your point at all.

All I can say is that in both cases the new game looks spectacularly better than the old one.

How would you even begin to quantify which is the bigger improvement? It's essentially subjective.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Are we still talking about this? This is as bad as the Sonic Cycle. This happens every gen. Eventually a game comes out that really moves the fidelity aspect forward and then you have the dumb comparisons of other games that also look extremely good as the gen movies on.

Next gen is announced. People complain games dont look that much better. Etc etc.

Hardware is not magical. Tools are not magical. They take time to develop and mature.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Look at the launch games last gen and the games near the end of the gen,a massive difference and that gen was supposed to be a weaker one in terms of power gained from the previous gen.

Yeah but last gen consoles didn't aim to increase 4x on resolution and 2x on fps from previous gen.

For as long as game devs try to aim for 4k and 60fps on consoles next gen visuals are a pipedream.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It looks fake to me.

Iis more detailed yes, but the digital acting is less realistic than that scene with ellie, i watched the thing on my 4k oled, it still looks super fake for some reason.
That’s because it’s so real that little things that still are off, make it stand out ..

none the less these are the most amazing graphics I have seen this gen ..

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
LOL I though that was real not CG. These consoles could melt our face if people gave up their crazy obsession with framerates and resolution
Yeah agreed. Better resolution doesn't make graphics better at all and sacrifice framerate so it could look like this:

YSWlfdh.gif

The only thing I agree with you is the hunt for 4k.1440p is the sweet spot without sacrificing on the graphics.

But both manufacturers already dug their own grave in that regards by making 4k the new buzz word.

GymWolf

That’s because it’s so real that little things that still are off, make it stand out ..

none the less these are the most amazing graphics I have seen this gen ..
Let me put it this way, the fidelity on keanue is much better than the digital acting so the uncanny valley is more evident to me, tlou2 has a level of fidelity and digital acting that works well together so i notice the fakeness much less, it is hard to explain.

makaveli60

Yeah agreed. Better resolution doesn't make graphics better at all and sacrifice framerate so it could look like this:

YSWlfdh.gif

The only thing I agree with you is the hunt for 4k.1440p is the sweet spot without sacrificing on the graphics.

But both manufacturers already dug their own grave in that regards by making 4k the new buzz word.
Yep. I’m afraid we won’t get many games of this level with this “muh 4k60fps or bust” attitude…

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Looks like a GTA 4 lighting mod, not sure of your point. Not that I agree with the diminishing returns crap, it's just that the current consoles aren't that powerful, shit in the future will blow all this away for sure

It just sucks we'll wait like 10 years for that with concole cycles and until then just get the same old stuff with higher settings on PC and Pro models and crap with the same baseline as now.

Lol, no.

Diminishing returns is not crap it is literally reality, an undeniable fact. The more realistic things get the smaller visual improvements will be.

xPikYx

Diminishing returns is not crap it is literally reality, an undeniable fact. The more realistic things get the smaller visual improvements will be.
Yeah, but we are far from that today, so using diminishing return to justify the lack of a generational leap in graphic so far, is the real bullshit

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yeah, but we are far from that today, so using diminishing return to justify the lack of a generational leap in graphic so far, is the real bullshit

Its not about justifying anything, its just a reality.

During Last gen materials began to react to light differently, materials would have appropriate roughness and reflectivness.

Last gen devs were able to create recreations of objects which were a decent recreation of a table, door, metal gate, building, tree etc.

Improvements are still happening but the visual returns are diminishing.

xPikYx

Its not about justifying anything, its just a reality.

During Last gen materials began to react to light differently, materials would have appropriate roughness and reflectivness.

Last gen devs were able to create recreations of objects which were a decent recreation of a table, door, metal gate, building, tree etc.

Improvements are still happening but the visual returns are diminishing.
The Matrix awakening and unreal engine 5 first reveal prove you wrong mate

Yoboman

So there is lots of room for improvement, no diminishing return yet
Yeah but nobody really takes much more of the things he is talking about. Especially when all of them have been effectively baked in or tricked into last gen games to some degree

sinnergy

Let me put it this way, the fidelity on keanue is much better than the digital acting so the uncanny valley is more evident to me, tlou2 has a level of fidelity and digital acting that works well together so i notice the fakeness much less, it is hard to explain.
It’s not that hard to explain , TLOU 2 , is still a bit stylish, that’s the art style , so the flaws are less likely to stand out . While the Matrix is going for the uncanny valley .

Top Bottom