• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Call of Duty will be in WWII setting

Kokoloko85

Yes but now people are fed up with world war 2 games.

Theres been 1 WW2 COD game in the last decade though?

Id like something different as WW2 on PS4 and X1 wasnt great but if people don’t like it they can skip it. People complained when there was too many modern Cods, they complained about Cold war and Future warfare. Now there complaining about WW2 cod.

People just like to be fed up of Cod games no matter what lol

GeorgPrime

Banned
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-26-report-this-years-call-of-duty-returns-to-ww2

This year's Call of Duty returns to World War 2, according to fresh reports in part verified by Eurogamer.

Modern Warzone reported this year's new Call of Duty is in development at Sledgehammer Games, maker of 2017's well-received Call of Duty: WW2, and is due out late 2021. Eurogamer sources have indicated this is indeed true.

Modern Warzone also reports "the entire game takes place in an alternate timeline where 1945 wasn't the end of World War 2", and is set in the 1950s. Eurogamer understands this detail isn't quite right, and Vanguard has a traditional WW2 setting.

Call of Duty games tend to leak before they're officially-announced, and Eurogamer has verified Call of Duty leaks in each of the last five years. The headline this time around, though, is Call of Duty's return to World War 2. Vanguard will be just the second World War 2 Call of Duty released in the last decade, and comes after a Modern Warfare set in the present day, and a Black Ops Cold War game set during the 1980s.

How about creating your own WW3 scenarios?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Theres been 1 WW2 COD game in the last decade though?

Id like something different as WW2 on PS4 and X1 wasnt great but if people don’t like it they can skip it. People complained when there was too many modern Cods, they complained about Cold war and Future warfare. Now there complaining about WW2 cod.

People just like to be fed up of Cod games no matter what lol
Ya. We need another WWII game.

Modern Warfare and Cold War seem to be doing well and with BR it makes these games have legs.

If people dont like WWII just have to wait for 1 year until another MW/BO game comes out.

I love COD but even I'm burnt out. How many times can you shoot a gun with red dot?

At least the WWII games force you to do iron sights or a shitty reticule. Only guns that have true zoom/help are sniper rifles.

I guess people don't like it if the guns don't have a million attachments and infrared camo shit.

Pallas

I honestly had hoped Sledgehammer would do another Advance Warfare, say what you want but that was the wildest CoD I’ve ever played.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Probably so they can mess with it all they want for the sjw without people able to say its not historically accurate. The main character will probably be a raving transexual.

I honestly had hoped Sledgehammer would do another Advance Warfare, say what you want but that was the wildest CoD I’ve ever played.
It was alright but it was chaotic, and SBMM was rampant, that's when it was really bad but not MW/Cold War levels of bad.

Sounds like a cool idea.

What I really want is a WZ with just WW2 stuff.

Either they should make that a mode or its own thing, but I know they won't.

But WZ with a WW2 slant would be fucking hot. All WW2 weapons and vehicles would be great.
THIS! OMG i'm so wet thinking about this
they need to do this, paratrooper styles, tanks, trenches, bombing runs with houses that actually collapse and full destruction. That would be a major win for Activision. Conversely, if they try to integrate WW2 weapons with current Warzone on that map, it will be a disaster of epic proportions lol

Dick Jones

Gold Member
A game based off a real conflict. Its disgusting that developers are trying to capitalise on real events where people died. Where's my pitchfork?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The WW2 setting is super boring to me. I never pick up CoD, but sometimes it is cool to look at whatever they think the future of warfare will be. Meanwhile when the focus is on the past the novelty is always just prettier graphics or rewriting history with woke narratives.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Cool, I haven't played a fps in a ww2 setting before.

oh wait...

Not near as much as modern settings and the fact that I can name every WW2 shooter ever created either means I have a good memory for worthless events or there haven't been THAT many WW2 shooters. Don't answer that!

Calverz

Sounds like a cool idea.

What I really want is a WZ with just WW2 stuff.

Either they should make that a mode or its own thing, but I know they won't.

But WZ with a WW2 slant would be fucking hot. All WW2 weapons and vehicles would be great.
Just play firestorm then. 🔥

WW2... I predict a bomb.

CoD does need its own alternate universe like Ace Combats strange real, Activision are running out of conflicts that are politically acceptable to be made games out of so are falling back on WW2 (again).

baphomet

Well that's unfortunate. Definitely not interested in another WW2 shooter. They drove that shit so far into the ground 15 years ago that I'll never be interested in playing another one.

Just a question coming from a non american. Why do these games always focuse on WWI and WWII? It's not like there haven't been more... America is in perpetual war since I was born, why wouldn't you do something different?

I remember playing MGS remake and how they out some references of the Gulf Ear, that was cool. You could relate to it because it was so recent, but who's going to relate to something that happened 80 years ago?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
WW2 and Sledgehammer? Fuck yes! Don't mess with Shipment 1944 too much, though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dear Population that Embraces Marvel Movies,

Why is the WWII setting bad?

Sincerely,
You people killed the historical war movie industry

LostDonkey

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Pallas

It was alright but it was chaotic, and SBMM was rampant, that's when it was really bad but not MW/Cold War levels of bad.
That’s why I loved it, the chaos of it all, the exo suits, exploring vertically, it added so many new elements. SBMM should stay in rank play.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
pass. same game. i want a new futuristic one
They're too afraid because of what happened the last time they did this. Not even Jon Snow could save that game's backlash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They're too afraid because of what happened the last time they did this. Not even Jon Snow could save that game's backlash.
The reason why COD got so popular is due to WWII and modern warfare kinds of settings. Grounded settings.

COD gamers trying to get into laser fights in space stations with jet packs is the type of shit you got in the 90s and early 2000s with Quake and Unreal. That's the kind of atmosphere hardly any shooter fans like playing for the past 10+ years. Especially COD or BF gamers.

I remember playing rocket launcher only servers in Unreal Tournament. Great in 2003. Not now.

Last edited:

Barakov

I just hope the campaign is good. If the MP is as good as the previous WWII game then I'm in. BLOPS Cold War was trash so I'm looking forward to it if Sledgehammer can nail the MP again.

What I'm not looking forward to is them shoehorning WWII stuff into Warzone. They need to make Warzone an entirely separate thing from the yearly COD.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The reason why COD got so popular is due to WWII and modern warfare kinds of settings. Grounded settings.

COD gamers trying to get into laser fights in space stations with jet packs is the type of shit you got in the 90s and early 2000s with Quake and Unreal. That's the kind of atmosphere hardly any shooter fans like playing for the past 10+ years. Especially COD or BF gamers.

I remember playing rocket launcher only servers in Unreal Tournament. Great in 2003. Not now.
I honestly thought they did a good job building up to it with Blops 2, Blops 3, and Advanced Warfare, but for some reason the minute it hit space and lasers people were out.

WW2 themed games dont really interest me. I prefer seeing modern tech, when it comes to guns.
Add in the "no swastika" rule and the high annual cost of XBL and Im pretty sure I wont be buying this CoD.

I honestly thought they did a good job building up to it with Blops 2, Blops 3, and Advanced Warfare, but for some reason the minute it hit space and lasers people were out.

Which in my opinion was the wrong attitude for gamers. As you said, if you followed these games from day one, Id say their progression was spot on and IMO Infinite Warefare deserverd its own trilogy like BLOPS and MW. It was a natural move forward for the franchise and dont even get me started that Infinite Warefare campaign is arguably better if not the best COD campaign. And its not like they went SO far into the future...there were no aliens or monsters, it was just a new war for humans who will own the skies. That is actually something we could expect in real life in maybe 30 years or so. COD WW2 came out due to backlash and was sooooooo boring, there was literally nothing left to say, any event they try to cover nowadays, they already did the best ones ages ago, pretending there was never a symbol called Swastika. I would def not complain if one day COD went even further into the future aka HALO world. It gives writers to flex and make up a new cool story, not cover real life events that every book, tv show, movie, cartoon etc covered 20 times over. Imagine playing COD WW2 themed for 20 years....what the hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom