• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Call of Duty will be in WWII setting

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-26-report-this-years-call-of-duty-returns-to-ww2

This year's Call of Duty returns to World War 2, according to fresh reports in part verified by Eurogamer.

Modern Warzone reported this year's new Call of Duty is in development at Sledgehammer Games, maker of 2017's well-received Call of Duty: WW2, and is due out late 2021. Eurogamer sources have indicated this is indeed true.

Modern Warzone also reports "the entire game takes place in an alternate timeline where 1945 wasn't the end of World War 2", and is set in the 1950s. Eurogamer understands this detail isn't quite right, and Vanguard has a traditional WW2 setting.

Call of Duty games tend to leak before they're officially-announced, and Eurogamer has verified Call of Duty leaks in each of the last five years. The headline this time around, though, is Call of Duty's return to World War 2. Vanguard will be just the second World War 2 Call of Duty released in the last decade, and comes after a Modern Warfare set in the present day, and a Black Ops Cold War game set during the 1980s.

MiguelItUp

I'll be okay with this depending on how it's all handled. After Cold War I told myself I'd go on another COD hiatus. But I guess we'll see...

Still eager to see more about BF6.

itsArtie

I'm not even disappointed. CoD has been going downhill for a while. No idea why they would go back to WW2 after the Warzone success. Let's hope BF6 will be in a modern setting 🤞

DonJorginho

Banned
Why can't BF and COD both have the same time period at once these days? Whenever COD goes modern now, BF goes back to WW1/2 settings and now BF looks set to go back to Modern Warfare, COD decides to handicap itself by going back to WW2.

I used to love WW2 shooters but they're stale, I'll be swerving this like I did Cold War, especially as it looks to be done by Sledgehammer.

Let's hope this allows BF6 to capitalise! (please?)

Last edited:
Whilst WW2 was a decent enough experience (story mode was actually pretty decent), I really hope Raven aren't forced to completely butcher Warzone by adding in WW2 weapons into the mix.

I wonder if this is the cycle we'll see from now on Modern > Black Ops > WW2

Fingers crossed we get back on track with whatever iteration of Modern Warfare we see in the future.

WW2? Eh... Gimme civil war!

wwYccDn.jpg

And I am curious on how they are going to integrate this into Warzone since it is my understanding that all future CoD games will feed into the Warzone world...

Corgi1985

Banned
WaW was great but WW2 2017 had thr dullest fps campaign ever. Please break away from the cliche shit and do something new.

Whilst WW2 was a decent enough experience (story mode was actually pretty decent), I really hope Raven aren't forced to completely butcher Warzone by adding in WW2 weapons into the mix.
Eh fuck it, they should just include modern weapons in the WW2 campaign, lets storm the fucking beach with an EBR and Javelin baby

Will they give you a new battle royal map with WW2 weapons.
This would probably make the most sense, would be interesting to do a low-tech battle royale without radar and super precise airstrikes, etc.

carlosrox

Banned
Sounds like a cool idea.

What I really want is a WZ with just WW2 stuff.

Either they should make that a mode or its own thing, but I know they won't.

But WZ with a WW2 slant would be fucking hot. All WW2 weapons and vehicles would be great.

AJUMP23

Eh fuck it, they should just include modern weapons in the WW2 campaign, lets storm the fucking beach with an EBR and Javelin baby

This would probably make the most sense, would be interesting to do a low-tech battle royale without radar and super precise airstrikes, etc.
You would call in a mortar strike.

BuffNTuff

Banned
If it’s cross gen no thanks.

If it’s full next gen take on ww2 I’d love to see it. Give me full next gen Normandy.

Kokoloko85

Wow what a mistake by Actvision

BF6 will have a chance to shine

Lol wasn’t this the opposite when BF did WW1 and COD did future?

BF6 wont ever beat Cod sales or come close

I would of liked a World War 1 take. But im good with another WW2 game, only the 2nd one in like 10 years

decisions

This sucks. Loved MW19, was hoping for a sequel but I guess that will come in 2022.

I thought Sledgehammer got shut down anyways since their games have not been well-recieved? Wasn’t there a rumor they were going back to Treyarch/IW only?

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Calling it now: it will be based on the novel Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds, where future humans who survived in space following a nanocaust discover a portal to an alternate 1950s Paris and must do battle with bioengineered children.

Codes 208

This sucks. Loved MW19, was hoping for a sequel but I guess that will come in 2022.

I thought Sledgehammer got shut down anyways since their games have not been well-recieved? Wasn’t there a rumor they were going back to Treyarch/IW only?
They weren’t shut down, their next game just got put on the back burner so they could focus on helping with MP for the last two games iirc.

Elysion

Banned
WW2? Eh... Gimme civil war!

wwYccDn.jpg

I used to think that the only way we could ever get a decent game set during the ACW is if Rockstar made a Red Dead Redemption that takes place during that period. But now that Houser is gone I‘m doubtful they‘d be able (or even willing) to portray the time period in a way that isn‘t cringy, revisionist nonsense.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

I am totally fine with period rotations so add infinite warfare in the loop too. Don't want to do the same mp5 loadout every year.

SantaC

Lol wasn’t this the opposite when BF did WW1 and COD did future?

BF6 wont ever beat Cod sales or come close

I would of liked a World War 1 take. But im good with another WW2 game, only the 2nd one in like 10 years
Yes but now people are fed up with world war 2 games.

Sounds like a cool idea.

What I really want is a WZ with just WW2 stuff.

Either they should make that a mode or its own thing, but I know they won't.

But WZ with a WW2 slant would be fucking hot. All WW2 weapons and vehicles would be great.
i actually quite enjoyed BFV’s BR. the only thing that made me lose interest was the map itself. It wasnt aesthetic to look at and there wasnt many points of interest.

If they make it authentic WWII properly depicting the war with some game-friendly exaggeration I'm fine with it. If there's a pink haired woman in a wheelchair rolling around the map not so much.

Fake

I OK with WW2, the CoD WW2 singleplayer is a mix bag, but the multiplayer is hugely fun.

Depends of who is making and if the multiplayer will be more ambicious now. The engine evolve, so they can make 30x30 for a real proper WAR mode.

INC

Console are getting HLL and enlisted

Thats ww2 covered on all next gen platforms and pc for the next few years

Holammer

Activision should sit down with Games Workshop and do a Call of Duty set in the grim darkness of the far future.
Where you play as the men and women of the Astra Militarum getting pasted by Heretics, Orks, Dark Eldar and Tyranids. With every scenario ending in nuclear haze and the games single moment of awesome is a brief glimpse of the Emperor's avenging angels.
Imagine the jaws dropped by players unfamiliar with the setting when the guy they played in the scenario battles the forces of chaos straight from the warp and survives, only to get put down like a dog by the inquisition.

V4skunk

Banned
COD1+2 are set in WW2 and are far better than the modern COD games.
In fact COD1+UO is probably the best WW2 fps game ever made. To have something like that back in 64 players will be god like.

What's everyone's problem with a WWII setting? Nobody had an issue with it in BF1 and V, and when CoD had futuristic settings WWII was literally what everyone wanted.

Modern setting is everything I want, reality is totally what I play games for! I just don't get it.

Console are getting HLL and enlisted

Thats ww2 covered on all next gen platforms and pc for the next few years
Simulation games! Joy... no progression, slow as can be, no Co-Op... pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom