• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NewZoo Expert: September's Top Games by Monthly Active Users (MAU) across PlayStation and Xbox.

Did you play any of those games in September?

• Total voters
Article here: Click Me.

MAU.jpg

Games on console will generate revenues of $45.2 billion this year, but what are PlayStation and Xbox users playing every month?

Fortnite Was September’s Biggest Console Title by Far

Our Newzoo Expert data shows that Fortnite was again the top console game across PlayStation and Xbox. Epic’s battle royale phenomenon was played by 29.7 million gamers across these platforms in September, with PlayStation accounting for most of these users (86%).
The Xbox-PlayStation split for September’s #2 title, Modern Warfare (2019), was far more evenly distributed, with 44% of the shooter’s 19.9 million MAUs playing via an Xbox console.

Since its launch last year, Modern Warfare has amassed an impressive 49.5 million lifetime players on PlayStation and Xbox alone—mostly driven by its free-to-play battle royale mode, Warzone. Modern Warfare will likely cross the coveted 50-million mark later this month.

Fall Guys Qualifies: Mediatonic’s Launch Success Continues into September

Despite currently being a PlayStation exclusive on console, Fall Guys retained its #3 MAU spot in September. Most of the players were returning users from August, when the title launched and was free to claim for PlayStation Plus subscribers.

However, Fall Guys attracted 1.2 million new users in September, signaling a successful sales month for the title. Curious about how Fall Guys achieved such success on a relatively tight budget?

These guys are swimming in cash.

Rocket League’s September 23 Update Attracted New and Returning Players

With its 15.5 million MAUs, Psyonix’s Rocket League scored the #4 spot. In fact, it had more MAUs in September than in June, July, and August combined.

Rocket League’s huge leap was catalyzed by the game’s significant September 23 update, which also marked a transition from a paid monetization model to a free-to-play one.

Microsoft really needs to consider removing that Live pay wall for free to play games. I suspect that's the reason PS4 has such a huge lead in Fortnight.

They get no heat from their fans at large, those with contacts and access nor from the press.... not gonna change unless Epic sues them like they did with Apple to bring eyes to the issue.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Played fall guys on pc but taking longer and longer to find a game

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Check your internet connection or ports, you must have an issue there because there's still a lot of concurent users on Steam playing the game
image.png

it’s not to bad yet, I tend to play off peak hours too so that prob doesn’t help. I’m talking a min or 2 to get a full game, not bad really. Used to be instant though.

Surprised about the discrepancy between Xbox and PS, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Speaking for myself since Game Pass, I haven't touched any of those games since ever. I have so many "free" games that I change constantly what I play now. Whereas on PS, people would probably be much more likely to go back to those games often a few times a month between whatever game they bought, cause those are the "free" ones (except GTA) on there.

Or maybe they really do play less, but i don't think so.
The paywall is also an bad for those non Live members.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Most people don't care about those. It's all about multiplayer games that you can play with your friends.
Yet people wonder how GTA 5 can be a top seller month over month for years on end, and why the latest 8 hour “epic journey” can’t.

The math is simple. But people can’t grasp it.

Kagey K

Banned
Nope. The industry is always changing.

Multiplayer blew up this generation. Sony and Microsoft will devote significantly more resources to it moving forward.

It ain't 1998 anymore.
It blew up last gen, (360/PS3) and the sales prove it. They should have been moving forward in it this gen.

Some did, some didn’t. Those that didn’t are seeing the repercussions now.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It blew up last gen, (360/PS3) and the sales prove it. They should have been moving forward in it this gen.

Some did, some didn’t. Those that didn’t are seeing the repercussions now.

It took a massive jump with Fortnite and PUBG.

He'll, even smaller successes like Overwatch, Rocket League, and Siege were insane successes.

This gen and last gen weren't even comparable.

I think you're going to see way more effort by Sony and MS moving forward. I predicted this back in 2018. We should see the fruits of that shift in 2021.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That sucks but people go where the fun is, if Gravity Rush was fun to play online it would still be around.

You can complain all you want, but a game needs players.
I'm personally not fan of these MP games at all but then again when comes to gaming I'm anti-social and I actually enjoy playing games alone.

But I guess most popular games are usually MP games.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Where are they pulling XBox and PS players MAU?

I don’t think they fully explained it.

Are they paying the console providers for the info? Are they using NPD?

Until we know their source I don’t think we can describe them as accurate.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm personally not fan of these MP games at but then again when comes to gaming I'm anti-social and I actually enjoy playing games alone.

But I guess most popular games are usually MP games.
Around here the most popular games are from those that are socially inept and can’t play with each other.

Hence the popularity of Playstation.

It just actual gaming, doesn’t reflect the options of this forum often.

People want to play with thier friends and they like stuff most people here don’t.

Last edited:

Danjin44

are socially inept and can’t play with each other.
That has nothing to do with it, most have my friends have their own family and problems, its pretty hard to come together for multiplayer, so I'm mostly force to play with random stranger on internet which 90% of the time its shitty experience. Worst part is I'm even force to pay monthly to even able to play MP......so for me SP is much better experience for me.

Kagey K

Banned
That has nothing to do with it, most have my friends have their own family and problems, its pretty hard to come together for multiplayer, so I'm mostly force to play with random stranger on internet which 90% of the time its shitty experience. Worst part is I'm even force to pay monthly to even able to play MP......so for me SP is much better experience for me.

so pretty much what I said, even if you want to argue semantics.

We all have families, but arrange the time. When is it a you problem instead of a we problem?

Danjin44

so pretty much what I said, even if you want to argue semantics.

We all have families, but arrange the time. When is it a you problem instead of a we problem?
It is mostly my problem and my preference and I'm not gonna pay mostly fee for service I barely going to use. At least in PS3 era I could give it try once a while because it was free but now it just waste of money.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It is mostly my problem and my preference and I'm not gonna pay mostly fee for service I barely going to use. At least in PS3 era I could give it try once a while because it was free but now it just waste of money.
I can’t help you here, you understand it’s you, MS and Sony aren’t going to make exceptions for you, so either you accept it or you don’t.

Danjin44

I can’t help you here, you understand it’s you, MS and Sony aren’t going to make exceptions for you, so either you accept it or you don’t.
I never said they have to do something, as long as I still get my SP games I'm happy, this is why I chose Playstation and Nintendo systems.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Dude what an difference on real world numbers vs forums, xbox is wayyy behind, also being so anti consumer making fp2 behind a paywall donst help, and people were braggin about them making gold free, lol tom warrent

Kagey K

Banned
Dude what an difference on real world numbers vs forums, xbox is wayyy behind, also being so anti consumer making fp2 behind a paywall donst help, and people were braggin about them making gold free, lol tom warrent
These arent real numbers... but you don’t care

LMAO

Those numbers are so wrong, I can't believe someone seriously published this.
Fortnite has 12 million CCU
Yet they have 4.3 million MAU on Xbox Only?

Forza Horizon 4 has over 4 million MAU
I guess Forza is bigger than Fortnite^^

Fortnite has more players than COD on Xbox, too.
This is such bullshit, lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom