• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[News] 3D Realms sued by the band Iron Maiden for their DN spiritual successor "Ion Maiden"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's getting fucking ridiculous but I guess it's dumbistan and their degenerate IP laws

We’ve recently heard about a lawsuit filed in California by the band Iron Maiden, claiming our old-school first-person shooter Ion Maiden is infringing on their trademark.

From what we’ve heard, the suit claims our main character, Shelly Harrison, originally debuting in 2016’s Bombshell, is based on their musician Steve Harris; our skull bomb icon found in-game is based on their skeleton mascot Eddie; our logo in itself is based on theirs; and other frivolous claims anyone who has played Ion Maiden would find more over the top than Shelly’s “Loverboy”, her signature 18-round triple-barreled revolver.

We at 3D Realms, our co-publishers 1C Entertainment, and developer Voidpoint will review our options once we receive official notice of the lawsuit and will make any necessary decisions at the appropriate time.

Regardless, everyone continues to work diligently on Ion Maiden to deliver the best possible experience later this year.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1620646560783169848

I asked the question in the other thread about the dev's views. That answers that - devs are in complete denial.

I hope Maiden gets them to change the name of their game.

Ion Maiden
Iron Maiden

The epitome of a lazy dev?

What's that thread - change one letter, make it a new idea. lol

Edit: unlike the entitled PC gamers over at Steam, there's no way I'd dirty myself playing a cheap game with a bad pun as the title.

Braid should have been called "Back Sabbath"

Last edited:

McCheese

Iron Maiden was a medieval torture device, but Iron Maiden DO have a videogame so they have trademarked that name in respect to Videogames/Entertainment, so I think they have a legit complaint.

Which is a shame, as Ion Maiden is a cool as fuck name

Catphish

Omg, fuck off, Harris, et al.

Maiden's rich as fuck, old as fuck, and washed up as fuck. They haven't put out a decent record since 1989. Do these codgers really have nothing better to do? I haven't cringed this hard at a band lawsuit since Ulrich and Metallica went after Napster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom