• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Series X GPU Features- Full DX12_2 Support Confirmed

Vasto

A few days ago, Microsoft announced an update to their DirectX 12 API. DX12_2 offers support for extra GPU hardware features and updates to previously announced features. These features include Variable Rate Shading, Mash Shading, Ray Tracing, etc.

So far it was not clear if Xbox Series X will support this DX12_2 update as the new Xbox console was not listed as supported on the MS dev blog. Luckily, Director of Program Management at Team Xbox, Jason Ronald, confirmed that it already supports it.

Xbox Series X supports all of DX12_2 features on a hardware level. That means better compatibility with the latest PC API and more features that the general public was not aware of. The full list of DirectX 12_2 new features can be found on Microsoft’s dev blog.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well anything less would suck. I feel like HW team did an excelelent job, while rest of Xbox Game Studios did a horrible job, which seems like some PR kindergarten Scheiße.

Why do English still has German words in it, I know it's germanic language for retards, however this is bugs me for some reason.

JLB

Banned
Well anything less would suck. I feel like HW team did an excelelent job, while rest of Xbox Game Studios did a horrible job, which seems like some PR kindergarten Scheiße.

Why do English still has German words in it, I know it's germanic language for retards, however this is bugs me for some reason.

Kind of unfair to microsoft studios like inXile and Asobo, or pretty much the rest with the exception of 343.

M1chl

Kind of unfair to microsoft studios like inXile and Asobo, or pretty much the rest with the exception of 343.
Well to be honest Asobo did not create game for console (yet) and I recognize, that it's unfair to studios as a whole, but I was not talking about that., I was talking about job of higher ups at Microsoft.

LarknThe4th

What's with the bizarre attack on the English language buddy?

NullZ3r0

Banned

Other than 343, what are you talking about?

M1chl

What's with the bizarre attack on the English language buddy?
I like English more than my own language. But truth to be told, German is super hard, English is super easy to learn. It's not really an attack, just a situation.

Other than 343, what are you talking about?
Greenberg, Spencer, Booty both talking way to much, creating confusing PR noise. Shit like "we are not going to compete with Sony, Nintendo in sold consoles", etc. It feels pretty fucking weird when it comes from mouth of head of the Xbox. It really isn't reasuring.

To be fair, no one is really used to the new HW which is why we havent seen much from games studios, even on the sony side.

It takes some "getting used to" and this happens literally every generation.

Could MS have been better prepared and not put all their eggs in the Halo basket, of course. But it is what it is.

M1chl

To be fair, no one is really used to the new HW which is why we havent seen much from games studios, even on the sony side.

It takes some "getting used to" and this happens literally every generation.

Could MS have been better prepared and not put all their eggs in the Halo basket, of course. But it is what it is.
Yeah, you are right.

Xdrive05

More and more completely unrealized potential in this thing. At this rate we won’t even know what it is capable of until 2022 or something like that. It’s gonna run the crap out of Xbox One games, 4k and high framerates, and so much of the silicon and features will be sitting there, parked.

Series X exclusives should look completely different from legacy supported titles. Very impressed with the MS hardware team, anyway.

LarknThe4th

It's kinda true... modern English is an extremely dumbified language when you compare it to Old English.
Old English had 3 genders, 4 cases and nouns, adjectives and verbs were divided in "strong" and "weak" classes.
I mean I wouldn't say Dumbified I would say streamlined, English as a language really packs a wollop

It is incredibly good at transferring emotion through plays and is also excellent at vocals in popular music(only Latin really touches it in this category) and is also very equipped to deal with highly technical issues, with lots of different ways of explaining bespoke issues

Last edited:

Dnice1

Kind of crazy how the narrative has be set. Isn't the only confirmed PS5 1st party launch title the Mile Morales Spiderman game? I'm not talking about launch window, however long that could be, I'm talking about is available titles available from 1st party this holiday.

M1chl

Kind of crazy how the narrative has be set. Isn't the only confirmed PS5 1st party launch title the Mile Morales Spiderman game? I'm not talking about launch window, however long that could be, I'm talking about is available titles available from 1st party this holiday.
It's not about narrative, the mess about "pro consumer" cross generation games is simply due to the fact that they are not even ready for the launch. I am not saying that PS5 is that much better, but they just say wayy less and they do not speak and contradict themselves on every occasion. In the winter it seemed that XSX is going to dominate, however nowadays situation is different. I am buying XSX right away, however I cannot help myself, to feel little let down by Xbox studios heads.

Kagey K

Banned
Greenberg, Spencer, Booty both talking way to much, creating confusing PR noise. Shit like "we are not going to compete with Sony, Nintendo in sold consoles", etc. It feels pretty fucking weird when it comes from mouth of head of the Xbox. It really isn't reasuring.

Those aren’t studios, they are people (executives to be precise.)

Kumomeme

im not suprise if the hardware team and game devs is actually against the idea of cross gen support . The decision seems like it made by those corporate bussiness executive in suit, not the devs itself.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What! MS GPU support MS API or vice versa? No way!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The question is if DirectML implementation is anything like this(16:06 onwards)

The question is if DirectML implementation is anything like this(16:06 onwards)

If a DNN model can be trained on a gamer’s style, it can improve games or the gaming environment by altering everything from difficulty level to avatar appearance to suit personal preferences.

Would much rather prefer this than the endless swarms of people who keep trying to shame devs like FromSoftware to add Easy Modes to their Dark Souls games. Or saying devs in general should make their games more "accessible".

Outside of support for more control inputs for people with physical handicaps I don't see why devs need to do the other stuff some types keep saying they should. Not all games need the same skill floor; not every game needs to cater to every skill level or gaming style.

JLB

Banned
I like English more than my own language. But truth to be told, German is super hard, English is super easy to learn. It's not really an attack, just a situation.

So now Greenberg is a game studio?

diffusionx

Gold Member

The narrative is based on all we know. MS has put out two game shows, both of which were horrible. Their mainline killer app had to delayed into the indeterminate future because it became a meme. There's no Forza, the Fable that was rumored for years looks about as far along as TES6, Rare doesn't even know what game they're making right now. We don't even know what they are doing at all, except for HDR support for 360 games. It's bizarre.

Sony games may be up in the air in terms of release date (I hated this gen how they announced games 3+ years before release) but we know some of what they are doing, and we also know they are making substantial commitments as they did this gen. I mean FFS they had GT7 out front and center, and PD is the definition of a drag-ass studio.

MS saying, "Flight Sim 2020 - XSX at launch" would go a long way but who even knows what the plan is?

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
That was already know for months.

RDNA 2 is fully compatible with DX12_2 Tier.

That’s as much info as saying Turing is capable of Ray Tracing without specifying anything in their line.

Both PS5 and XSX GPUs are highly custom.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Alright from the get go I meant higher-ups of Xbox leadership, I wrote it badly. People not studios.
This is on the board for under funding the division until 2018. If they gave the division money sooner to rebuild the first party studios somethings would be ready for series x launch.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

Go on YouTube and you can find the answer to these questions. Fascinating answers, even influences from Mongolia when instability in their home lands caused them to take their raiding parties deep deep into Europe. Even though their stay was short, the impacts from this disruptive force had lasting effects.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
This is on the board for under funding the division until 2018. If they gave the division money sooner to rebuild the first party studios somethings would be ready for series x launch.
Yeah, gonna be a couple years still until their investments will bear fruit.

ethomaz

Banned
That’s as much info as saying Turing is capable of Ray Tracing without specifying anything in their line.

Both PS5 and XSX GPUs are highly custom.

“When gamers purchase PC graphics hardware with the DX12 Ultimate logo or an Xbox Series X, they can do so with the confidence that their hardware is guaranteed to support ALL next generation graphics hardware features, including DirectX Raytracing, Variable Rate Shading, Mesh Shaders and Sampler Feedback. This mark of quality ensures stellar “future-proof” feature support for next generation games!”

Old news is old news.

And before you say DX12_2... Direct X 12 Ultimate is the commercial name for DX tier 12_2.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Would much rather prefer this than the endless swarms of people who keep trying to shame devs like FromSoftware to add Easy Modes to their Dark Souls games. Or saying devs in general should make their games more "accessible".

Outside of support for more control inputs for people with physical handicaps I don't see why devs need to do the other stuff some types keep saying they should. Not all games need the same skill floor; not every game needs to cater to every skill level or gaming style.
Honestly I am looking forward to how they are gonna use ML to enhance all backwards compatible games and the use of ML to reduce actual game data size.

Top Bottom