• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Series S Model with new 6 nm AMD APU could be releasing in 2022

dcmk7

Banned
This is the same company that released: Xbox one, Xbox one S, Xbox one X, Xbox SAD during the same console generation. Yeah sure, I can see it happening.
They certainly don't mess around when something isn't working for them. Like the OG Xbox One.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Microsoft looking to go with more frequent hardware refreshes, not unlike most electronics, would be a disruptive yet positive move forward for the industry if it were to happen.
Not like this it wouldn't. Releasing this would mean that the original Series S still needs to have games made for it, so then you'd only get a mildly better running version of the same game on the new Series S, which would still play at lower settings than the Series X. Even if they phased out the original Series S completely, all games still need to run on it. So at best you just get games with dynamic res/framerate running slightly higher on the new one, at worst you absolutely screw over everyone that owns a Series S and drop support for it after just over a year. They'll never do the latter.

sendit

Thinking of the fragmented Android experience here with many different hardware configurations within a closed ecosystem. Probably not to that extent. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Andodalf

Banned
Not like this it wouldn't. Releasing this would mean that the original Series S still needs to have games made for it, so then you'd only get a mildly better running version of the same game on the new Series S, which would still play at lower settings than the Series X. Even if they phased out the original Series S completely, all games still need to run on it. So at best you just get games with dynamic res/framerate running slightly higher on the new one, at worst you absolutely screw over everyone that owns a Series S and drop support for it after just over a year. They'll never do the latter.

You know these games are being made for PC right? All of them. Even the ones that are PS exclusive at launch are made to work on a range of hardware, dating back a good bit.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You know these games are being made for PC right? All of them. Even the ones that are PS exclusive at launch are made to work on a range of hardware, dating back a good bit.
How does that make any difference to what I said?

On consoles, the specs of the Series S are the lower bound. That's the lowest devs have to profile for. If they release a more powerful Series S, devs then have to make a profile for *another* console - meaning 3 different ones for the Series consoles. The lower bound still has to remain unless MS drop the original Series S completely, which they won't do. The new Series S wouldn't be powerful enough to run Series X versions, so it could only run Series S versions but have them slightly improved via dynamic res and potentially more stable framerate.

This is the same company that released: Xbox one, Xbox one S, Xbox one X, Xbox SAD during the same console generation. Yeah sure, I can see it happening.
All those systems played the same games. I don't see MS updating the hardware in any significant way but as long as the software all works I suppose it isn't a problem.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You mean it will be more like PC gaming.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I would say they are always working on a revision, for the s making it cheaper to manufacture will be the #1 goal. When series S hits $199 it will fly off the shelf.

Banned
honestly if anything they should make a super high end version with a ~21 TFlop/s gpu, 16GB ram and a slightly higher clocked CPU

it will come out eventually anyways, just offer it early and give people that want a high end machine the option to get one near the start of the generation.

make it ~1200€ and slowly adjust pricing over time

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
They can get fucked if they seriously think screwing early adopters over with a better system in less than 2 years.

No point due to the amount of S systems sitting on shelves because people are just wanting the X to actually show up in stock or just use the One X till then.

The only reason for a new unit would be if it has components taken away or made even cheaper and looking at high demand for chip production.

Andodalf

Banned
How does that make any difference to what I said?

On consoles, the specs of the Series S are the lower bound. That's the lowest devs have to profile for. If they release a more powerful Series S, devs then have to make a profile for *another* console - meaning 3 different ones for the Series consoles. The lower bound still has to remain unless MS drop the original Series S completely, which they won't do. The new Series S wouldn't be powerful enough to run Series X versions, so it could only run Series S versions but have them slightly improved via dynamic res and potentially more stable framerate.

no. The lowest bounds is probably going to be like a 1050ti or something.

Buggy Loop

That's gonna cost more isn't it? and the current Series S is at perfect price point IMO

Not necessarily. It depends on the foundry’s capacity and the reservations for other nodes. If 7nm is filled to the brim (and probably is) and the manufacturers started a bid war for time slots on that node, then it might make more sense to go on another node. If efficiency is good, they’ll be making more APUs on the same wafer than 7nm too.

MikeM

Maybe around when the refreshed consoles come out. I find it hard to believe they are already looking to upgrade the Series S after one year.

Don't believe this..

But the console can do with some more power. Enough power to get feature parity, like Jason Ronald claimed at the start, would be good.
Plus they should add more memory while they're at it, so devs like Id Software don't have to omit RT from the S version due to limited memory.
Gay Kiss GIF

The rumor mill stirring up bullshit again. Don’t believe their lies. A lot of people here fall for this dumb shit over and over again.

ZywyPL

Banned
Everything makes sense except the 350$ price tag - MS will want to keep lowering the entry point as much as possible, not raising it, because keep in mind there's an inevitable PS5 Slim showing up somewhere later on for 399$ (and potentially DE Slim for even lower), so such a low-performance, diskless console for just 50 bucks less wouldn't make sense at all for anyone, they would change to absolute worst value proposition there is.

I think 199-249 is the end-game for XSS when it comes to price, as for the specs, depends on the maturity of the process node, full 24CU paired and a frequency boost is IMO unlikely to happen, but the same 20CUs at higher clocks like what happened with X1S is definitely going to be the case. Even if the process node would be somehow good enough, I think they'd prefer to produce more chips (consoles) from a wafer instead of unlocking all 24.

Because really, 24CU@1825MHz would be like 5.6TF, so a whopping 40% boost, that's just way too much disparity between the early adopters with OG models.

Kenpachii

Everything makes sense except the 350$ price tag - MS will want to keep lowering the entry point as much as possible, not raising it, because keep in mind there's an inevitable PS5 Slim showing up somewhere later on for 399$ (and potentially DE Slim for even lower), so such a low-performance, diskless console for just 50 bucks less wouldn't make sense at all for anyone, they would change to absolute worst value proposition there is.

I think 199-249 is the end-game for XSS when it comes to price, as for the specs, depends on the maturity of the process node, full 24CU paired and a frequency boost is IMO unlikely to happen, but the same 20CUs at higher clocks like what happened with X1S is definitely going to be the case. Even if the process node would be somehow good enough, I think they'd prefer to produce more chips (consoles) from a wafer instead of unlocking all 24.

Because really, 24CU@1825MHz would be like 5.6TF, so a whopping 40% boost, that's just way too much disparity between the early adopters with OG models.

If the S sells for 90% of the consoles, i honestly don't think they care much for the X to start with.

They can easily make a more beefier S and add a tiny bit more money towards the mix for people that are on the fence and base there S version as there next gen console with X just for enthousiasts but even that one could get e revision.

MIcrosoft isn't bound to anything. they can release a new xbox every year with new gpu's and cpu's from AMD if they want too.

Hell they could just replace the S entirely with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom