• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Series S Model with new 6 nm AMD APU could be releasing in 2022

skit_data

Heard MLID talk about this.

Would definitely be a better product, I would probably buy it if the price is the same. I assume it would be able to use all One X optimizations in BC, which instantly makes it way better than the current Series S when it comes to BC.

Great Hair

Banned
Hmm.. so instead of 512p@120fps they will increase the reso. up to 768p! Totally worth it ...; Did we not all mutually agree, that this guy was full of shit?

Cat Teeth GIF
Putin Ritz GIF

kyliethicc

6nm refresh of PS5 / XBSXS does seem pretty likely. Easy way to create more supply.

TSMC 7 & 6 nm are basically the same, so it'd be pretty easy. They'd be able to start buying up both 6 & 7 nm wafers = more supply.

They definitely won't change the specs tho. A 3rd Xbox SKU to develop for this early would piss off devs even more than the S already did.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think if they move to N6 it will be like one S small spec bump, it may have a small tflop increase, like about 500gflops, so games with Dynamic res would fair a bit better but nothing dramatic.

Banned
the only way this could be done without a massive public fallout of customers that bought the worse version, and without pissing off developers for now having to target yet another set of hardware, would be if Microsoft basically spends millions of dollars replacing every single Xbox Series S on the market with the new model.
meaning sending out messages to owners of the Series S to send in their console to receive this new hardware refresh, telling them that their console will not be supported anymore after a certain period of time.

because if they simply send out yet another SKU with yet another performance profile, it will turn into a shitty experience for owners of the original model. We already see the Series S being only supported with bare minimum features by many devs, now imagine in there are 2 separate Series S systems.

the only way to solve this issue without actually requiring Developers to do anything would be to basically not give development hardware a dedicated profile for this new version, so that they only ever target the low spec version. this would in turn mean that this higher spec version would be using the additional hardware grunt to simply run Series S software more stable and push dynamic resolutions higher.
this would still piss off a lot of customers that bought the original model of course, but it would at least mean that developers don't have to do anything additionally to support it.

the One S was like that in a very tiny fashion. the One S has about 10% more GPU power than the base Xbox One, but it was only really ever used to run Xbox One games a tiny bit more stable (see the FPS increase in Project Cars for example). Some titles actually support 1440p on the One S (like Doom 64) but that has not really anything to do with the GPU being better but with it actually supporting output above 1080p

rTTM7HT.png

ypZw1UY.png

Kyz88zS.png

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I can see a redesign or cost reductions but I seriously doubt they are going to have three different specs running at once, making it "more powerful " or adding " more memory" just makes it a Series X, you can buy one of them now. This also just adds cost when really they need to be even more aggressive with the Series S value proposition with Gamepass.

They should definitely increase the storage capacity on the internal drive to 1tb though.

It's good to see the likes of Psychonauts 2 outperforming what Jason Ronald promised being above 1600p, as we move to next gen only engines that are based around the consoles feature set and not ports of last gen games we will see things improve further.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I can see a redesign or cost reductions but I seriously doubt they are going to have three different specs running at once, making it "more powerful " or adding " more memory" just makes it a Series X, you can buy one of them now. This also just adds cost when really they need to be even more aggressive with the Series S value proposition with Gamepass.
They should just do a revision with a disc drive at the same price(or if possible even lower).

Little Chicken

Gold Member
6nm refresh of PS5 / XBSXS does seem pretty likely. Easy way to create more supply.

TSMC 7 & 6 nm are basically the same, so it'd be pretty easy. They'd be able to start buying up both 6 & 7 nm wafers = more supply.

They definitely won't change the specs tho. A 3rd Xbox SKU to develop for this early would piss off devs even more than the S already did.

I'd imagine they'd just phase out the current S as the new S replaces it like they did with the Xbox One/S

Ceadeus

It would be neat but at the same time I would had waste my money on being an early adopter.

XSS is sweat though, I don't see any reason to own the better X or PS5 yet. Games runs great on it and 1440p is good enough.

mckmas8808

Banned
This might be the DUMBEST thing MS could ever do, if true. 3 Xbox Series models on the shelves at the same time? Come on!

kyliethicc

I'd imagine they'd just phase out the current S as the new S replaces it like they did with the Xbox One/S
Sure but devs still have to support it. That's why I doubt it would have new chip design / specs like the MLID guy speculated. I think it would basically just be a Series S slim. Like One S was.

And they may want to keep both 7 and 6 nm Series S chips being made in order to increase supply. More wafers, more stock, more sales, more money.

Andodalf

Banned
I could see an update, but not at a higher price.
I think we will see iPad esque updates to the series consoles

Banned
Sure but devs still have to support it. That's why I doubt it would have new chip design / specs like the MLID guy speculated. I think it would basically just be a Series S slim. Like One S was.

And they may want to keep both 7 and 6 nm Series S chips being made in order to increase supply. More wafers, more stock, more sales, more money.

yeah like I said, if they do that the new Series S will if anything simply run Series S code more stably. this is the only way they could ever do this. like the Xbox One S did with it's tiny 10% GPU boost it has over the base Xbox One.

the One S was like that in a very tiny fashion. the One S has about 10% more GPU power than the base Xbox One, but it was only really ever used to run Xbox One games a tiny bit more stable (see the FPS increase in Project Cars for example). Some titles actually support 1440p on the One S (like Doom 64) but that has not really anything to do with the GPU being better but with it actually supporting output above 1080p

rTTM7HT.png

ypZw1UY.png

Kyz88zS.png

if they actually use this as a third system with its own settings and Dev Kit profile, devs will be pissed... so the only way I can see this work is if the hardware simply gives the Series S versions a slight boost simply by running the games on better hardware. Like an overclocked modded Switch runs Switch games more stable, this would simply make fps drops less pronounced and dynamic res run higher on average.

so yeah, this is the only way they could get away with this IMO

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Yes! Yes! They should definitely make a new console! For people who want more power they could increase the CU count, and the GPU power to say...12.1 TF. Throw in a disc drive for people who want those premium features and more SSD capacity too, it will need it. They could call it the....ummm....Oh I have it! The Xbox Series X!!! Wild idea but I think MS just might do it!.
/s

Seriously, why do these rumors get posted? What is the problem with waiting until these things get announced officially and then discussing them? That way no one wastes their time hyping crap that never happens and arguing about things that do not exist. Do people really like running in that hamster wheel?
The best policy:
3876985-6067364984-ezgif.gif

TLZ

Banned
Highly doubt this. I can see a die shrink but they aren't going to be activating more compute units. More active units will also lower the yields and increase the cost. Not a good move when this is supposed to be the value console.
This.

chonga

In various interviews and investor calls etc both sides have already stated that this generation is unlikely to yield improvements seen in the past, both in terms of the opportunity to reduce costs and improve silicon.

So no, not happening.

SomeGit

I'd say that the only upgrade that the XSS really needs, that wouldn't burn every XSS user and developer right now, is a bump to 1TB and cheaper ways to expand storage for Series games. 512GB is "fine" while you can dump XBone games to an external HDD, but it will be way too small in the future.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Microsoft looking to go with more frequent hardware refreshes, not unlike most electronics, would be a disruptive yet positive move forward for the industry if it were to happen.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
This is the same company that released: Xbox one, Xbox one S, Xbox one X, Xbox SAD during the same console generation. Yeah sure, I can see it happening.

Top Bottom