• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox rule changes look to target easy Gamerscore titles

ManaByte

Gold Member

As per our source, a developer in the ID@Xbox program that wishes to remain anonymous, Microsoft recently made several changes to its Xbox Game Certification Rules when it comes to achievements and Gamerscore. These rules govern what is allowed when publishing games on the Xbox platform, and according to our source, an update was made on Monday, May 1, 2023, to those rules that aims to stop developers from releasing easy Gamerscore titles that can be completed in just a few minutes or with minimal user input.

However, more significantly, Microsoft has also added three new fail examples to XR-055:

• All achievements can be unlocked within a few minutes of starting the game
  • Achievements do not represent a thorough exploration of or engagement with game content
  • Achievements can be unlocked without any (or minimal) user input unless required as part of the core gameplay loop
From our understanding, if a game meets one of these fail examples, the game will not pass certification, and Microsoft will block it from being published onto the Xbox platform.

Jumping Potato dev on suicide watch.

Juras

Some time ago while checking PSS promo with filter "from cheapest to most expensive" on, I discovered theres over 500 versions (across all regions) of "Jumping Burger/whatever food" "game" with platinum in less than 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I feel more sorry for the people who buy these games with shitty achievements that can be unlocked with a button press. Why? Its basically addiction at that point.

Kilau

Gold Member
There are some gamers really upset about easy achievements. While I like getting achievements and trophies it's never bothered me that there are press A to win games. This guy is speed running to 1 million to draw attention to easy achievements and looks like it's working.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Man that brings me back to the 360 release time...Most Wanted and Fight Night 3 gave out cheevos like candy but....They were great games!

BlackTron

I feel more sorry for the people who buy these games with shitty achievements that can be unlocked with a button press. Why? Its basically addiction at that point.

Ahh, the sweet satisfaction of being acknowledged for achieving nothing. Again!

Top Bottom