• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Console "Project Scarlett" Coming Next Year and it "Eats Monsters for Breakfast"

HeresJohnny

The phrase "It eats monsters for breakfast" was cringe, but I think it's a cryptic statement. I wonder if the PS5's codename is Monster. Perhaps I'm overthinking it a bit and it's just Microsoft being cheesy, but it's one of those so-bad-it-must-mean-something-else statements.

CyberPanda

Banned
The phrase "It eats monsters for breakfast" was cringe, but I think it's a cryptic statement. I wonder if the PS5's codename is Monster. Perhaps I'm overthinking it a bit and it's just Microsoft being cheesy, but it's one of those so-bad-it-must-mean-something-else statements.
It’s reference to Xbox One X.

prag16

Banned
What I want to see is how far they're willing to go in merging their xbox and Windows ecosystems. If this will run full blown unshackled Windows 10, with M/KB support I'll probably buy one. But the first part of that seems unlikely.

MadAnon

Pro was released just a couple months after Polaris, so there's a good chance the PS5 will be using next year's NAVI.
Pro was most likely in the works right after the ps4 release and the Polaris was in the works for years before it's release too. You can't just engineer a new custom APU in a year, go through certification and then mass produce it.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Dude. They've been engineering the chip for years. Why is it so hard to believe that the PS5 and/or Snek GPU could be more powerful than the 9 TF mid-range Navi GPU that people talking about now?
Oh, no doubt it will be more powerful than 9TF. But you said it will come out one year later and that it's somehow relevant to how powerful the console will be. Besides some clock adjusments, what will they do? Engineer a new chip? They pretty much stated in the video that they already engineered the chip.

demigod

Pro was most likely in the works right after the ps4 release and the Polaris was in the works for years before it's release too. You can't just engineer a new custom APU in a year, go through certification and then mass produce it.

You're thinking that they were aiming for Navi 20 and then a year later changing it to Navi 12 when they simply could have been working with Navi 12 from the beginning.

Riven326

Banned
should have ended, debatable. its just that 4 and 5 story was very poorly done. had the stories been amazing then of course no one would say it should've ended at 3. the halo universe is too vast to just stop making them especially with how 3 ended. but no company in their right mind will stop production of a game series that is guaranteed money.
Of course it's debatable. But you shouldn't assume what other people would have said based on the quality of the games that followed. For example, regardless of how 343's games turned out, I still think it should have ended at 3. Reach was it's own story.

Uncharted 4 felt like a nice conclusion to Drakes story. Legacy was it's own thing, just like Reach or ODST. I'm fine with that. But stories should conclude at some point.

Halo, like Gears of War, feels like its just being used to generate more revenue for Microsoft. It's just sequel after sequel with no end in sight and now they're trying to cash in on nostalgia for the old games with this new one.

The point in trying to make is that it's nice when things conclude. It makes the journey worth it and it adds value to a trilogy or set of games.

Last edited:

Redstarwater

Neophyte
But.......I'm not the one that noticed and was making a big deal about it. You are. You seem to be part of the 10% that wants to talk about it.

You sure it's not just "they want to display all the people that help create games"? In your mind do you envision the people that make games (white guys) to be in the 95% range?
It was before they purposely hired based on race starting a few years ago.

CyberPanda

Banned
24tf? If anything remotely close to that happens I'll lick used toilet paper.
Yea it’s not 24TFlop. If you go Eurogamer, there is a interview with one of MS Reps and he said this:

If you let me back I'll be here. Back to Scarlett... you mentioned it has four times the power of Xbox One X, which certainly sounds good. But what does that mean?

Matt Booty:
It's a few things - it's the combination of speed, not just of the SSD but of the processor, the performance of the GPU and RAM, but we're also in a world where speed is starting not to matter. You can make RAM faster either by speeding up the way you access it or by adding more access points. Just think, what are all the things right now which take you out of a game? You're playing then suddenly *bloop* a load screen pops up and drops you out. Our goal is to get rid of those things, that's what we're after.

What do you think about the state of the industry right now? When you look around, who's here, who's not, what trends are you seeing in the industry?

B_Boss

It’s actually curious because one thing Microsoft was not doing was strutting about saying they had built the most powerful console ever made. Their chose of words was deliberate, they said it’s “the most powerful console we’ve ever made,” and there are rumblings from industry insiders that the PS5 actually might have a slight power edge over Scarlett. Back when it was PS4 Pro versus Xbox One X, all Microsoft could talk about was its power advantage. Now? Not so much.

Very interesting statement especially when you consider the balls of Cerny some years ago factually state that the PS4 (on stage) was the world’s most powerful console. He and MS definitely choose their words carefully. Will he be able to say that again come next June? I guess we’ll see. I’m hoping so just for the sake of fun console wars 🍻.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s actually curious because one thing Microsoft was not doing was strutting about saying they had built the most powerful console ever made. Their chose of words was deliberate, they said it’s “the most powerful console we’ve ever made,” and there are rumblings from industry insiders that the PS5 actually might have a slight power edge over Scarlett. Back when it was PS4 Pro versus Xbox One X, all Microsoft could talk about was its power advantage. Now? Not so much.

How can MS say it's the most powerful system when PS5 hasn't been shown and benchmarked yet?

Mista

Banned
Speaking to Gamesindustry.biz, Xbox head Phil Spencer confirmed that Project Scarlett will indeed contain a disc drive when it arrives next year. While digital games have started to become all the more prominent, and Microsoft themselves have released a disc-less version of the Xbox One S just recently, that lack of a disc drive will not be something that carries over to Scarlett.

“Yeah [physical discs are part of our future],”
We know, because we see it, that more and more players are buying digital. We think the experience in certain instances, specifically if I am away from my console and everything is on my hard-drive with the entitlements are all there, there are some scenarios that are easy. But we know that people still have discs.”

Unfortunately it's not like that, the Scarlett can be 4 times more powerful than the X without being a 24 Tflops machine. And when Microsoft says 4 times more powerful they include the whole processor power, the gpu, the amount of ram, the performance of the ssd... it's not just about the number of tflops.

No way, you'll never get a 24 tflops console with either the PS5 or the scarlett.
Let's wait n see

P
Because PS4 delivered something realistically possible with the tech available. 1.8 Tflops was really nothing spectacular at that time when there was much more powerful GPU solutions available from AMD on PC.

You are suggesting some magical GPU that doesn't even exist or isn't even in the realms of possibility with Navi unless you want to go into ridiculous territory in terms of die size, price, power consumption, and cooling
People all over the internet said 8gb ram was unrealistic for PS4 most said 4gb and they even sweared.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yea it’s not 24TFlop. If you go Eurogamer, there is a interview with one of MS Reps and he said this:
Ah thanks.

Getting rid of load times is great.

Now if they can only get rid of mandatory cut-scenes! I just tried playing Hellblade. I think there was about 5 minutes of gameplay in the first 40 minutes. Endless unskippable cut-scenes.

Redstarwater

Neophyte
They don't. It's stupid at a mouth breathing fuck your sister level. Roll Tide.
Uhh they put out statements how they are making their staff diverse as possible. They are either beating the statiscal odds based on the 2010 census or they are purposely hiring based on race.

You can apologize if you want with your own mouth breathing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Uhh they put out statements how they are making their staff diverse as possible. They are either beating the statiscal odds based on the 2010 census or they are purposely hiring based on race.

You can apologize if you want with your own mouth breathing.
You have to be unbelievably fucking stupid to think that they weren't hiring the best in the business before this. If you're good, companies like Microsoft, Sony, Google, Nintendo, etc. don't give a shit about your race, your sexual orientation, or your religion. If anything, it allows them to highlight what they've been doing all along to placate the mouth breather outrage machine.

I believe it's four times more powerful CPU and GPU, not four times the teraflops.

So, realistically, it could be anywhere from 12 to 16 teraflops, not 24.

Microsoft should have been clearer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Wrong. 8K is limited to 60 Hz for HDMI 2.1. Only 4K can output at 120 Hz
HDMI 2.1 is up to 10k @ 120fps with DSC.

It is just in normal ways you can go up to 8k @ 60fps or 10k @ 24-30fps.

Full table.

hdmitable.png

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Looks like MS is still planning on having the more powerful console.

MS announce proved some of his claims being false on ERA.

People are even asking for new verification from Mods... Mods said it only showed having access to GDC documents before the event... he never showed evidence for anything else.

Said that it is clear MS goal is to be the most powerful console.

Last edited:

Hard to meet this goal without real specs from the competition.

Yeah definitely true. It seems most logical that Sony and Microsoft don't know what each other are doing when it comes to specifics. On the other hand, if both dev kits are out in the wild it's possible they have a pretty good idea.

People are even asking for new verification from Mods... Mods said it only showed having access to GDC documents before the event... he never showed evidence for anything else.

Yeah, ERA is now convinced that the ps5 is and is going to be more powerful than the anaconda because of this tweet:

At this point, who knows. I do trust Andrew Reiner more than randos on ERA but I also trust Brad Sams a lot.

demigod

What claims?

ethomaz

Banned
What claims?
I did not get the catch of everything so I can't say... that thread moves too fast but I can link to where Zhuge confirmed what he verified to.

He said a lot of things that are definitively not true... you can start to follow here:

Yeah definitely true. It seems most logical that Sony and Microsoft don't know what each other are doing when it comes to specifics. On the other hand, if both dev kits are out in the wild it's possible they have a pretty good idea.

Yeah, ERA is now convinced that the ps5 is and is going to be more powerful than the anaconda because of this tweet:

At this point, who knows. I do trust Andrew Reiner more than randos on ERA but I also trust Brad Sams a lot.

I believe one made claims that ended not true.
Other said he heard from developers he talked at E3 that the actual devkit of PS5 is stronger than devkit of Scarlett.

The second one is way more believable... he has the credentials to be at E3 and really knows developers... plus his claim is about the actual Devkits... the final machines can be different or not.

It is like Richard from DF saying that the devs he talked shared concerns about the Anaconda/Lockhart model... seems like something a dev should says when you add extra headache to their word.

Last edited:
I did not get the catch of everything so I can't say... that thread moves too fast but I can link to where Zhuge confirmed what he verified to.

He said a lot of things that are definitively not true... you can start to follow here:

Other said he heard from developers he talked at E3 that the actual devkit of PS5 is stronger than devkit of Scarlett.

The second one is way more believable... he has the credentials to be at E3 and really knows developers... plus his claim is about the actual Devkits... the final machines can be different or not.

It is like Richard from DF saying that the devs he talked shared concerns about the Anaconda/Lockhart model... seems like something a dev should says when you add extra headache to their word.

It's getting more interesting to see the chess pieces move. I still don't think Sony or Microsoft are hard spec'd yet.

ya that what they want but can they pull it off? sony is not going to roll over.

It's a game of chicken at this point. It would be hilarious if they both just walked on stage and said, we made a console together.

Last edited:
Im not having 2 boxes this gen, easy decision to go with ps5. Maybe its weaker hardware, but the xbox is just gearsforzahalozombies.

They have bought tons of studios recently. They even have an exclusive obsidian rpg coming. I guess times are changing fast.

Im not having 2 boxes this gen, easy decision to go with ps5. Maybe its weaker hardware, but the xbox is just gearsforzahalozombies.

Yeah just like all Sony has is cinematicwalkingsim? That's a dumb statement, just like yours. Both consoles will have numerous exclusives next-gen it just depends what games you are more into.

Personally, next-gen for me looks like the ps5 + pc (and of course my first love Nintendo). Will all first party MS games on the pc, I won't be needing a dedicated Xbox console anymore. I will just fine if my pc gpu isn't quite as powerful as the the anaconda.

demigod

I thought we were talking about Brad Sams and not hmqgg.

Having a powerful console doesn't mean much if the price isn't reasonable and the software is lacking. Microsoft has to prove to me that they have more games besides Halo, Forza, and Gears. They need to establish a more robust first-party lineup. Buying up some of these studios is a start. I kind of wished that they would have bridged Halo into Marathon. That would have been unexpected.

Top Bottom