• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Console "Project Scarlett" Coming Next Year and it "Eats Monsters for Breakfast"

Silentium

Wow, it's sounding increasingly likely that both Sony and MS are about to turn up at the party wearing exactly the same outfit ...
Agree, probably a byproduct of AMD being the only game in town for CPU + GPU SoC. Looks like the only differences will come down to ancillary items (RAM, SSD)

Just to these that didn’t know he is the Chief Editor of Game Informer.

It is basically the first reliable info from a reputable person that is not pastebin, reddit or some random era.

Of course these devkits are not final so what he is hearing now from devs could change until the final SoC.
The Dev kits whereby final when the xbone n PS4 where coming out but the PS4 was still the powerful console

TLZ

Banned
this is proof that the chief editor of game informer Andre Reiner is a liar, he can't know which console is more powerfull then not one developer has scarlett devkits....

"According to Greenberg, Microsoft is currently working on getting the Project Scarlett development kits out,..."

"That being said, Greenberg mentioned that Project Scarlett is a huge improvement in processing power able to deliver native 4K and 120 FPS, loading times 40 times faster than current-gen."

Megaton. 4K 120fps
I don't know why MS would be so late to give dev kits out, I dunno who to believe anymore.
I think they just mean they're working on getting the current devkits out to everyone, not just a select few who already have them.

X is 4.5 X powerfull than one, Xbox one is 1.31 teraflops X is 6 teraflops 1.31 X 4.5 = 6, so Scarlett is 24 teraflops cause 6 X 4 = 24

Wasn't Microsoft was referring to the CPU? Having a console CPU that's 4x more powerful than the Jaguar wouldn't be a gigantic task. I'm exited for the new Xbox too but 24TF is crazy talk. The GPU won't be anywhere near that realm in terms of performance IMO.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
There are going to be some very disappointed people when the actual specs for this are released. 120fps at 4K ffs...
I don't think many on here will believe that. Unless it's some indie game. Or they do a straight port of something like Quake 3 arena

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Like was said in the PS5 thread, keep your expectations in check. 120hrz is easy to support, as is 8k, but making media for them is not. HOWEVER, you don't want to be caught in the future with something and have your pants around your ankles.

You will get some bare bones stuff in 8k, and I'm talking VERY simple stuff. 8k has one hell of a hefty price tag that comes with it, as does 4k really. You may get some VERY basic simple stuff 120hrz at 4k.

But some of you are walking about expecting Last Of Us 2 and Halo Infinite to be 120 hrz at 8k... Its just not going to happen.

Then again, reading some of the posts in this thread was embarrassing. Proper high lever cringe stuff. The truth of the matter is that we know basically next to nothing about these machines, other than a few tidbits. The final specs are not locked down on either of them, and wont be for a while yet. Both will try and out do each other, and the fact is both will do just damn fine and be as close as possible.

Armorian

Banned
120fps is a waste on consoles, no game will support this unless devs have ton of idle gpu/cpu cycles (indie games). Plus there are only few tvs capable of 120hz refresh rate. I had 165Hz monitor for few months, aside from desktop there is not that much difference in games.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Can you tell me where will they get that 24 Tflop GPU!? Just so you know, Radeon VII is a 7nm, 13.8 TFlop GPU with a 331mm2 die size. Leaked RX 5700 XT Navi, supposed RTX 2070 competitor, is 9.75 Tflop GPU.
Is it possible to have 2 of them on the same die?

Wasn't Microsoft was referring to the CPU? Having a console CPU that's 4x more powerful than the Jaguar wouldn't be a gigantic task. I'm exited for the new Xbox too but 24TF is crazy talk. The GPU won't be anywhere near that realm in terms of performance IMO.
Let's wait n see after they stop the foreplay and release the specs

Like was said in the PS5 thread, keep your expectations in check. 120hrz is easy to support, as is 8k, but making media for them is not. HOWEVER, you don't want to be caught in the future with something and have your pants around your ankles.

You will get some bare bones stuff in 8k, and I'm talking VERY simple stuff. 8k has one hell of a hefty price tag that comes with it, as does 4k really. You may get some VERY basic simple stuff 120hrz at 4k.

But some of you are walking about expecting Last Of Us 2 and Halo Infinite to be 120 hrz at 8k... Its just not going to happen.

Then again, reading some of the posts in this thread was embarrassing. Proper high lever cringe stuff. The truth of the matter is that we know basically next to nothing about these machines, other than a few tidbits. The final specs are not locked down on either of them, and wont be for a while yet. Both will try and out do each other, and the fact is both will do just damn fine and be as close as possible.
Last of us 2 is a current gen title so why not 120 Hertz I'm doubtful of proper ps5 titles running at 120 but PS4 titles should be easily achievable

Armorian

Banned
Last of us 2 is a current gen title so why not 120 Hertz I'm doubtful of proper ps5 titles running at 120 but PS4 titles should be easily achievable

It's 30fps on ~2TF, you need 4TF for 60fps in 1080p and 16TF for the same 60fps game in 4K, now if you want 4K/120fps...

You see how far it gets? You will be lucky to get 60 fps 4K verion for PS5, RDNA has better perf. per flop so 16TF isn't needed most likely ;)

MadAnon

Basically if it's not 20 teraflops then it's a waste of money the should just stick with the one X until they make a proper next gen console we don't need mid gen iterations anymore
Can you tell me a realistic way of reaching even that 20 Tflop target considering price, power consumption, and cooling? I gave you some reference to AMD's products.

Last edited:
Can you tell me where will they get that 24 Tflop GPU!? Just so you know, Radeon VII is a 7nm, 13.8 TFlop GPU with a 331mm2 die size. Leaked RX 5700 XT Navi, supposed RTX 2070 competitor, is 9.75 Tflop GPU.
lol... stop making fake claims like 24Tf.
Spencer said clearly:
"4x ! processing power! of the Xbox X"

you have 4-6 x better cpu
40x better ssd
24GB DDR6 RAM
PLUS optimized architecture
it will be enough to make 4x better consol than xbox x when the gpu has 14-18TF.

there is no need for 24TF.

Can you tell me a realistic way of reaching even that 20 Tflop target in any realistic way considering price, power consumption, and cooling? I gave you some reference to AMD's products.
I have no idea same way people had no idea that PS4 would come out with 8gb gddr5 1.8 teraflops at 399 bk in 2014

MadAnon

lol... stop making fake claims like 24Tf.
Spencer said clearly:
"4x ! processing power! of the Xbox X"

you have 4-6 x better cpu
40x better ssd
24GB DDR6 RAM
PLUS optimized architecture
it will be enough to make 4x better consol than xbox x when the gpu has 14-18TF.

there is no need for 24TF.
How exactly can you mix CPU, GPU, memory in one performance soup and come up with 2 mystical words "processing power" and x4 of XBox One X. Congratz you got played by MS marketing...

Last edited:
It's 30fps on ~2TF, you need 4TF for 60fps in 1080p and 16TF for the same 60fps game in 4K, now if you want 4K/120fps...

You see how far it gets? You will be lucky to get 60 fps 4K verion for PS5, RDNA has better perf. per flop so 16TF isn't needed most likely ;)
Forza on Xbox one x is 4k 60fps so why not n who knows maybe Scarlett is actually 24 teraflops but anyhow I don't care about running old games faster what I want to see is next gen games with next gen effects and assets I'm not buying a ps5 so that I can play uncharted 4 at 8k that's bullshit I'm buying it to play uncharted 5

HeresJohnny

Most gamers can't tell the diff between 30 and 60 frames, and here's Microsoft, trying to sell their next system by saying it'll do 120 frames. It's like the ultimate dick wagging contest between nerds.

Last edited:
What was with the guy saying something like, "With its SSD and the solid state drive?"

this made me lol too, he said something like "the SSD combined with a solid state drive really allows us to..." I had to stop the video to laugh. Almost as good as the "uncompressed pixels" comment from the scorpio reveal

MilkyJoe

So over all it's 9¾ more times powerful than last gen overall? :goog_unsure:

We really need to see what the final tflop count is. But if MS, after spouting 6tflops all over the shop with X, then come out and say "4 x more powerful than X" knowing full well that people are going to say "4 x 6 = 24" .... Rod for their own back.

Reactions: TLZ

MadAnon

I have no idea same way people had no idea that PS4 would come out with 8gb gddr5 1.8 teraflops at 399 bk in 2014
Because PS4 delivered something realistically possible with the tech available. 1.8 Tflops was really nothing spectacular at that time when there was much more powerful GPU solutions available from AMD on PC.

You are suggesting some magical GPU that doesn't even exist or isn't even in the realms of possibility with Navi unless you want to go into ridiculous territory in terms of die size, price, power consumption, and cooling

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
X is 4.5 X powerfull than one, Xbox one is 1.31 teraflops X is 6 teraflops 1.31 X 4.5 = 6, so Scarlett is 24 teraflops cause 6 X 4 = 24

Unfortunately it's not like that, the Scarlett can be 4 times more powerful than the X without being a 24 Tflops machine. And when Microsoft says 4 times more powerful they include the whole processor power, the gpu, the amount of ram, the performance of the ssd... it's not just about the number of tflops.

No way, you'll never get a 24 tflops console with either the PS5 or the scarlett.

Armorian

Banned
Forza on Xbox one x is 4k 60fps so why not n who knows maybe Scarlett is actually 24 teraflops but anyhow I don't care about running old games faster what I want to see is next gen games with next gen effects and assets I'm not buying a ps5 so that I can play uncharted 4 at 8k that's bullshit I'm buying it to play uncharted 5

Forza was designed as 1080p/60 fps game for X1S and 4K/60 fps title for X1X so they just scaled graphics up/down to meet the target performance, TLoU 2 is 30fps/1080p on PS4.

I think like you too, they should focus on graphics quality and not waste resources on anything above 4K/60fps.

Does it really matter at this point? MS doesn't have Naughty Dog, MS doesn't have Guerrilla Games, they don't have Sucker Punch, etc etc. Those companies have the engines to win even if less powerful. There's nothing on XBX that can touch PS4's best.

JLMC469

Banned
Does it really matter at this point? MS doesn't have Naughty Dog, MS doesn't have Guerrilla Games, they don't have Sucker Punch, etc etc. Those companies have the engines to win even if less powerful. There's nothing on XBX that can touch PS4's best.

I agree with you.

But, Forza Horizon 4 looks beastly on the X :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Top Bottom