• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Console "Project Scarlett" Coming Next Year and it "Eats Monsters for Breakfast"

Mista

Banned

The next-generation Xbox, dubbed “Project Scarlett,” will launch in holiday 2020, Microsoft announced during its E3 2019 press conference.

Here is an overview of Project Scarlett, via Microsoft:
Project Scarlett will set a new bar for console power, speed and performance, arriving holiday 2020 alongside Halo Infinite. Powered by a custom-designed processor, leveraging the latest Zen 2 and Radeon RDNA architecture from our partners at AMD, Project Scarlett will deliver a new level of immersion. Paired with high bandwidth GDDR6 memory, and a next generation solid state drive (SSD), Project Scarlett will provide developers the power they require to bring their creative visions to life. Featuring hardware accelerated raytracing, variable refresh rate, 8K capability and ultra-low latency input, Project Scarlett will deliver a new level of fidelity, precision and accuracy never before seen in console gaming.

With Project Scarlett, we continue our commitment to compatibility by ensuring your gaming accessories and Xbox career will also move forward with you, along with thousands of games across four console generations which will look and play best on Project Scarlett.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Console Gamers when they dont have 120FPS: But the human eye can't see 120FPS so whats the point

Microsoft: The nextgen xbox will support 120FPS

Console Gamers: WHAT 120FPS that's insane plus it's cheaper than a PC

PC Gamers: Wait I thought you didn't care for 120FPS and the human eye can't see it

Console Gamers: Never said that

Just a joke i have console too

Last edited:

GermanZepp

So, the guy in the other thread talking about the benchmark discussion was right. They are aaaalll about the power.

Last edited:

CuNi

If that thing really has 4x as many FLOPS as One X, that would place it at around 18-19 TFLOPS.. holy shit if that is real, it is quit a good bit ahead of supposed PS5 specs.
(I say supposed since we have not really heard anything in that regards and only speculate based on parts we know are going in there)
120@4k, 8k Support, VRR, Hardware RT, SSD as Virtual RAM for faster loading since the internal SSD is that fast.. jesus that thing really IS a monster.
Project Scarlet, rather Project Black Hole in your bank account..
Day one though..

baphomet

If that thing really has 4x as many FLOPS as One X, that would place it at around 18-19 TFLOPS.. holy shit if that is real, it is quit a good bit ahead of supposed PS5 specs.
(I say supposed since we have not really heard anything in that regards and only speculate based on parts we know are going in there)
120@4k, 8k Support, VRR, Hardware RT, SSD as Virtual RAM for faster loading since the internal SSD is that fast.. jesus that thing really IS a monster.
Project Scarlet, rather Project Black Hole in your bank account..
Day one though..

Lol, it's not 4x the flops.

Leonidas

• 4x more processing power than Xbox One X
  • 8k Capability
  • Zen 2
  • Navi
  • hardware accelerated ray-tracing
  • GDDR6
  • up to 120 FPS
  • up to 8k
  • SSD
  • SSD virtual ram.
Sounds pretty amazing, but it also sounds the same as PS5, though more details were given today. The only difference could be ray-tracing. Sony never said hardware accelerated ray-tracing.

At this point though it's looking like both boxes are the same, which is kinda boring.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the 24 Tera flops are the sum of the CPU and GPU computational power? We are talking of twice the power of the rumored PS5.
And honestly this number, tru pr not, is a kick in the final price ass.

I don't think they'll talk about TFLOPS because the increase isn't that big, partly because RDNA is more efficient than GCN when it comes to gaming performance vs. TFLOPS just like Nvidia's GPUs do more with less TFLOPS than AMD's on PC. The CPU and SSD is really where it's at for next gen, the GPU will clearly be the biggest bottleneck. 4X more performance than One X means very little at this stage, but I doubt that's true in terms of pure GPU compute grunt.

I was hoping MS would give out more info than they did, but I guess after Sony already gave their info dump MS didn't feel the need to reveal more at this point.

Shin

Banned
Also it's freakin' funny hearing Xbox say this generation is the biggest leap that we've ever had before.
While people have been saying that it will be the smallest jump.

Ar¢tos

Is it possible that the 24 Tera flops are the sum of the CPU and GPU computational power? We are talking of twice the power of the rumored PS5.
CPU doesn't even reach 1tf.

Reactions: TLZ

CuNi

4x also includes the CPU and memory bandwidth comparisons. Come on people.

I dunno about that. I mean yes this is all PR talk, but he clearly say "pure processing perspective" which at least to me suggests that they talk about raw computing power and all the other benefits etc come on top.
We won't know until release of both PS5 and Project Scarlett thought.

nani17

are in a big trouble
8k 120fps in fifa sure forza very possible but massive open world games I highly doubt it.

I'll wait for digital foundry to prove if its capable

Armorian

Banned

They never said anything about TF, it could be 4x times more powerful at rendering Ray Tracing for example :)

The new console will be a monster. So I guess it's only one device, no S/X scenario.

Yeah, it would be dumb to release 2 machines with different hardware inside.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Says nothing.

Zen2 and Navi (?) confirmed.

GDDR6 so HBM2 is out of question.

Release Nov 2020.

The changed the talk power to most powerful hardware “we designed”... they are not sure anymore to be the benchmark.

Last edited:

J4K

Console Gamers when they dont have 120FPS: But the human eye can't see 120FPS so whats the point

Microsoft: The nextgen xbox will support 120FPS

Console Gamers: WHAT 120FPS that's insane plus it's cheaper than a PC

PC Gamers: Wait I thought you didn't care for 120FPS and the human eye can't see it

Console Gamers: Never said that

Just a joke i have console too

Honestly I'm hoping 120FPS isn't something console devs try to do regularly. In my view it's a complete waste for gaming on a living room TV with a controller in hand. Would much rather they focus on achieving a true next generation look at 60FPS.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dunno about that. I mean yes this is all PR talk, but he clearly say "pure processing perspective" which at least to me suggests that they talk about raw computing power and all the other benefits etc come on top.
We won't know until release of both PS5 and Project Scarlett thought.

It’s overall system. It’s not going to be 24TF 😂

Zen 2 is already over 5x the processing power than Jaguar.

Evilms

Banned
- full backward compatibility between all generations
- four times more powerful than the Xbox One X
- can go up to 8K resolution
- can go up to 120FPS
- Ray Tracing compatible
- Halo Infinite at launch
- SSD, GDDR6

All this is good but not surprising after the PS5, and not even a little bit of gameplay of halo infinite halo, I'm disappointed.

This is where we see that Sony has once again cut the ground under Microsoft's feet by taking the lead last April.

CJY

Banned
It's clear the main differentiator next generation is gonna be the games... pretty much the same as it's always been.

All eyes on AMD now...

Xyphie

At around ~1:59 you can see 8 RAM chips around the SoC. 8x16Gbit would mean 16GB RAM, but it's hard to say definitively that there's only 8 with the microscope blocking.

Last edited:

CuNi

It’s overall system. It’s not going to be 24TF 😂

Zen 2 is already over 5x the processing power than Jaguar.

I never said anything about 24TF. I don't even know where anyone pulled that number from.
AFAIK the X is 6 TFLOPS, that's where I said if it is 4x more powerful in raw computing, then it's around 18 TFLOPS.

PsyEd

Yeah I was thinking of 24TFLOPS as well...that seems overkill for a console but that's how I like my hardware....my current 2080ti SLI is already enough juice to run GTA 5 with 8k60+

Frankly X1X is my go to console since launch....lets see what Sony's one does.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Honestly I'm hoping 120FPS isn't something console devs try to do regularly. In my view it's a complete waste for gaming on a living room TV with a controller in hand. Would much rather they focus on achieving a true next generation look at 60FPS.
Or rather aim for a framerate between 50-70 with VRR.

Top Bottom